Would you go visit new baby with a cold? - Trip cancelled, thanks! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 11-10-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm supposed to be traveling to see my great-niece this weekend, who will be a little over a week old. (I'd insert lovey smiley here if I could).

Last night it became apparent that I've caught a cold. Today I have a scratchy throat and runny nose. I'm still at work and I'm not sickly, it's mostly just annoying.

We are scheduled to go Friday and we are staying in a hotel. So we have to decide if we should cancel before they will charge us a cancellation fee.

Ds is also congested but he is at school, no fever or anything.

I feel like I shouldn't go, but I don't know if I'm over-reacting. I could go and just not cuddle with her.

Can I have your two cents? This won't be rescheduled anytime soon. Ds is off school friday and all other weekends are booked.

Thanks!

ETA: Trip canceled yesterday. And I feel worse today. I should clarify -- I know better than to visit a newborn when sick. I guess I was wondering more so if it was silly to cancel two days in advance. I think I was hoping for some miracle stories about colds passing in 24 hours. Yeah, right!

Thanks for the input - it helped make the decision a couple days in advance instead of waiting and having to pay a hotel cancelation fee.

#2 of 31 Old 11-10-2010, 11:36 AM

i personally would not go. and as someone that is soon to have newborns in the house, i would really apreciate a visitor that cansceled for this reason.

i'm sure you are dieing to seethe baby, but you are also really kind to be thinking of this

Juvysen likes this.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#3 of 31 Old 11-10-2010, 11:47 AM

I think they will appreciate you not showing.  I would be horrified if somebody showed up sick when my babe was one week old.  So sad to have to miss it, though!!!!

#4 of 31 Old 11-10-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

I suppose there is no sense in visiting if I can't cuddle. I'm sad to not see the baby. I'm also bummed because this is a town we like to visit for long weekend getaways and had other activities planned. Dh and I could really use the weekend getaway.

#5 of 31 Old 11-10-2010, 12:12 PM

My MIL came and COUGHED IN THE FACE of my one week old daughter.  Who is now 6 and I still get mad when I think about it.  (Not that you'd do that, but still)

#6 of 31 Old 11-10-2010, 12:15 PM

No, I would not.

Mama of three.

#7 of 31 Old 11-10-2010, 12:18 PM

I know you are bummed and I would be too, but on the other hand... if you wait a couple of weeks you won't have to compete with the other visitors and will get more baby snuggle time yourself with no sharing. Plus, you and dh will have a better time all around if you are feeling better.

vbactivist likes this.

DD: I'm bored and want to play Me: What about me? I can play. DD: No thanks, I mean a real person.
#8 of 31 Old 11-10-2010, 12:19 PM

I would defintely not go.  And if I was a new mom and found out that someone knew they were getting sick and still came to visit my new baby, I'd be angry.  What could be a cold to an adult could be worse in a baby (think RSV or other respiratory problems.)

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#9 of 31 Old 11-10-2010, 12:20 PM

I wouldn't go.

#10 of 31 Old 11-10-2010, 12:33 PM

I'd be really bummed - but I wouldn't go either. I wouldn't worry so much about the baby - but babymoons should be a time when mama/baby/family get to know and enjoy each other - and if anyone in the family gets sick - that makes it way less fun.

My mom took older dd to chucky cheese (a.k.a. petri dish) the day after dd2 was born, and we all got some crud that she picked up there (I'm assuming - I realize it could have come from anywhere). I'm still annoyed about that.

#11 of 31 Old 11-10-2010, 12:53 PM

I would not.  

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#12 of 31 Old 11-10-2010, 01:09 PM

I would hold off until you are feeling well. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#13 of 31 Old 11-10-2010, 01:18 PM

stay home.

#14 of 31 Old 11-10-2010, 01:27 PM

I wouldn't go.  I'm sorry, what a disappointment.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#15 of 31 Old 11-10-2010, 01:50 PM

No way would I ever visit a newborn with ANY type of illness. Sorry, I know that really sucks but it's just not worth it. I would have flipped my lid if someone had come to visit my daughter w/ a cold.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#16 of 31 Old 11-10-2010, 02:16 PM

Please don't  

Not the same but could you Sykpe? You'd at least get a peek at the little one.

Why not spend the weekend being tourists in your own town?  You will still get to go out with your family but will be able to sleep in your own bed (I enjoy sleeping in my own bed when I'm feeling under the weather).

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#17 of 31 Old 11-10-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

I cancelled. I hate having to cancel now when maybe this will pass, but I couldn't risk the $45 hotel cancellation fee.

I would never hang out with a newborn feeling like I do today. I just didn't know if I was jumping the gun cancelling. Darn germs.

#18 of 31 Old 11-10-2010, 03:12 PM

Maybe it is for the best?

I remember the first couple weeks postpartum...  There were plenty of hands to help out, to cook a meal, or help with whatever, etc.  But I would say that by week 2, people expect you to be up and running and in the swing of things.  This might give you the opportunity to offer a helping hand after most of the help has left!

I'm sorry you had to cancel, but I applaud it.  I hated having to kick people out of my house who were sick, and then having to feel like a bad person.  It's one more little detail that a new mama doesn't have to sweat, so good for you!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#19 of 31 Old 11-10-2010, 03:51 PM

Unfortunately, I think that it would be best to not go.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#20 of 31 Old 11-10-2010, 04:33 PM

I also would not go.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#21 of 31 Old 11-11-2010, 12:33 AM

No

#22 of 31 Old 11-11-2010, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I definitely wasn't over-reacting. I feel loads worse today, unfortunately. 

I should clarify, I know better than to visit a newborn when sick. I guess I was wondering more so if it was silly to cancel two days in advance. I think I was hoping for some miracle stories about colds passing in 24 hours. Yeah, right!

#23 of 31 Old 11-11-2010, 07:30 AM

I would not go. See if you can do video phone to see the little one. I would feel really bad if I went and the baby got ill.Sure it might be someone elses fault,but I would still feel bad.

#24 of 31 Old 11-11-2010, 07:44 AM

YES!  I would be furious if someone showed up to visit my newborn and they were sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 View Post

I think they will appreciate you not showing.  I would be horrified if somebody showed up sick when my babe was one week old.  So sad to have to miss it, though!!!!

#25 of 31 Old 11-11-2010, 07:52 AM

I would not go either.  I couldn't live with myself knowing I was "sick" and passed it to the LO.  It absolutely rocks me when we are at a playgroup and another brings their sick kid....  urgh!  They only suggestion I have would be to just ask if they are ok with it.  Some folks don't care, I personally do.

'09   
#26 of 31 Old 11-11-2010, 08:08 AM

Sorry you had to cancel.  My nephew contracted a very serious case of bacterial meningitis when he was 7 days old.  The culture showed that the bacteria that caused his infection is a strain usually found on hands. 

#27 of 31 Old 11-11-2010, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip, but it sounds like it was for the best and I'm sure the new parents really appreciate it. I'd be bummed out though. greensad.gif Hope you feel better soon! 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#28 of 31 Old 11-11-2010, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Stay away from the baby!   So sorry that you are sick but its not worth the risk to the baby's health.

#29 of 31 Old 11-11-2010, 08:54 PM

Hoppin mama, sorry your sick, you may want to post an update on your first post and clarify, since it seems clear that folks are still resounding to you without reading the rest of the thread or your decision or clarification.

Hope you feel better soon!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#30 of 31 Old 11-12-2010, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

Hoppin mama, sorry your sick, you may want to post an update on your first post and clarify, since it seems clear that folks are still resounding to you without reading the rest of the thread or your decision or clarification.

Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks, I did. I probably should have phrased my question as "is it silly to cancel weekend plans on a Wednesday due to a scratchy throat?".

My niece was disappointed but grateful, apparently a couple of her friends had stopped by with colds and sore throats already.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page