Craigslist Buying/Selling Etiquette with Meeting Location - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-23-2010, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

As a seller, should you be driving to the buyer (public location)?  As a buyer, should you be driving to the seller (public location)?  Or, in both instances, do you meet somewhere in the middle? 

It seems whether I sell or buy, I'm always the one driving to a location near the other person (always meeting in an open parking lot or something similar).  What's appropriate?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 11-23-2010, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think it is up to the seller where to meet. I have had people come to my home for large items,and I do not ask where they come from.It is up to them to come. If I met someone elsewhere it would be a public place close to my home like the walmart parking lot(lots of cameras!) or the library.

It is I suppose whatever the buyer/seller agree too,but I am going to think the seller has more say,

#3 of 18 Old 11-23-2010, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your perspective.  Perhaps I need to be a little more aggressive about mentioning a mutual location in both sides of the transaction.

#4 of 18 Old 11-23-2010, 11:39 AM

I don't have a car, so can almost never arrange pickup unless it's within walking/driving distance. So I always ask for delivery. If the seller can't that's fine; but then they lose a sale. Often they will offer to drive it to my house. I never worry about security issues. I do, however, always offer to pay a little extra for delivery if I think the asking price is fair; otherwise, I ask for delivery to be included if I think there's room for bartering.

#5 of 18 Old 11-23-2010, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I have always picked things up at the seller's house or location, and whenever I have sold something it has been the same. I think it would be rude to ask the seller to deliver.

~PurityLake~ likes this.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#6 of 18 Old 11-23-2010, 08:12 PM

I also think it's up to the seller, although I have had one kind person offer to drop something off at my work. As a seller, I meet in my local grocery store parking lot, unless it's furniture that I'm selling.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#7 of 18 Old 11-24-2010, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It's seller's choice.  I did have a buyer ask if I could deliver a dresser.  She didn't have a car and lived only a few miles away so I did it and helped carry it in, as well.  I know what it's like to not have a car so I'm sympathetic.  But I'd say no if it was a big deal for me or far away.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#8 of 18 Old 11-24-2010, 11:09 AM

I agree that it's generally up to the seller; my preference is for people to come to me (as a seller).  We don't live in the most convenient location, but I'd rather not have to drive anywhere.  I have met in parking lots a couple times when it happened to be convenient.  As a buyer, we've always drove to people's homes. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#9 of 18 Old 11-24-2010, 03:18 PM

I've sold dozens of things on Craigslist, and I've only met someone on one occasion.  And it was because the person creeped me out but it was a spendier item and I really wanted to sell it before a move.  Otherwise, people have always come to me.  I usually never put my phone number in the original post, so that they have to email me.  And when I email them back with contact information, I made a note about them scheduling a time to come and have a look at the item.

On the flip side, I know people who ONLY meet people outside of their homes if they sell on CL, just because they are simply not comfortable with having strangers know where they live.  I'd do whatever is comfortable for you.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#10 of 18 Old 11-24-2010, 03:40 PM

I have people come to me when I sell, and I go to them when they sell. 

When it's a free item, they better come to me!  I do NOT deliver free.  I will help people load and have cut up wood to help it fit before. 

Occasionally my husband will take a small object to work with him in downtown for a sale. 

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#11 of 18 Old 11-26-2010, 05:47 AM

As a seller, most times I have people come to me.  Once or twice I have arranged to meet people at a mutually agreed upon location.  As a buyer I fully expect to go to them.  I have had people ask for delivery but unless they lived superclose to me, not gonna happen.

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
#12 of 18 Old 11-26-2010, 06:47 AM

I'm usually on the selling end and usually have people come to me. Once, I've met someone out. And once a seller came to me. I think she did that because she just wanted to unload the item and we had a hard time coordinating.

Colleen (35) married to Brian (35) 11/06; DD Emilia 6/6/08; DS Breckin 8/2/10
#13 of 18 Old 11-26-2010, 07:39 AM

Like most others on this thread, I've always gone to the seller's place when I'm buying an item and have people come to me when I'm selling. This is mostly because a lot of people might want to look at an item (especially if it's expensive), but not everyone will want to buy it. There would be no way I'd drive my stuff around on a regular basis. The only exceptions to that rule were 1) when someone offered to drop the item off on their way home from work (it was brand new in the packaging and I knew I wanted it), and 2) when a buyer didn't have a way to transport my large entertainment center, and I did. But I made her swear that she was going to actually buy it! I don't know what I would have done if she would have changed her mind, but it seemed to help at the time.  :)

#14 of 18 Old 11-26-2010, 11:05 AM

Yes, to clarify; I ONLY ask people for delivery if I've positive I'm going to buy the item. I would never ask someone to deliver and then not purchase! And I always offer to pay for delivery. Most people seem happy with this arrangement. I do not want to take advantage of anyone.

#15 of 18 Old 11-26-2010, 08:08 PM

Yeah, it is Seller's choice, but most often Buyer picking up at Seller's house (or chosen location).  If I am selling and the Buyer "dictates" a pick up place I just tell them the item is no longer available.  I had one person that "required" me to give her my phone number, she only dealt with people on the phone.  I NEVER give out my number only my e-mail.  So, after me asking for a pick up address five times and her skirting the issue five times, she finally said she HAD to give me a pick up locate only over the phone.  I dropped out immediately.

I did have on Seller offer to drop off an item at my house, it was on their way.  Other than that, as Buyer, I have always picked up at Seller's choice.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#16 of 18 Old 11-26-2010, 09:35 PM

I just wanted to add that I quite often see ads to deliver furniture, etc. Where I live quite a few people may have trucks/trailers etc, and charge an extra 50 bucks to deliver in a X mile radius.

If you really want to sell an item but the buyer can't pick up, I think it's ok to ask for a fee (up front) for driving to where they are.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#17 of 18 Old 11-27-2010, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting; it's great to know the seller is the one that (usually) chooses.  smile.gif  I sell more than I buy and when I buy, I only buy from a place I'm willing to travel to.  That said, now I feel a little more confident stating my preference(s) when selling.

#18 of 18 Old 11-27-2010, 09:38 PM

As a seller I've always had people come to my house. Except once. I was a little irritated about it because she really bargained on the price and then asked me to meet her halfway across town. It wouldn't have been a big deal except when you have to small children to load in the car and take with you then it really is a big inconvenience.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page