WHY would you call us early in the morning just to ask...... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 11-26-2010, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

if we got sleep last night?!? That has got to be the most insane reason to WAKE SOMEONE UP. It's that time of the year again and future MIL must be feeling needy again. Argh. She knew we were staying up late watching some black friday deals online last night (1 of which was for her! She wanted us to get it for her to give to dp's dad). By some miracle ds slept in this morning (it's 9:20 and he just woke up!). But what do I hear at 8am?! DP's phone ringing (we each have a cell but no house phone- we keep the cell phones in our bedroom- we can't turn them off because dp needs to be accessible at all times for work and all my family lives far away so if there is an emergency I'm only reachable by that phone). I ignore dp's cell (after checking to see who is calling) and get back in bed. 30 seconds later? My phone is ringing. I tore off dp's covers and growled at him to deal with it redface.gif He ignores the ringing then texts his dad to see wth they want. His dad responds with something like "your mom wants to make sure you all got enough sleep". Ummmm..... banghead.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#2 of 24 Old 11-26-2010, 06:37 AM

That is REALLY annoying. I think your DP should let them know that you guys didn't, and that they are the reason you were woken up early.

sapphire_chan likes this.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#3 of 24 Old 11-26-2010, 06:39 AM

Totally irritating and so something my mom would do!

Mom to DD1 (Feb 2006) and DD2 (June 2008) with HIE, CP, dev delays and reflux
#4 of 24 Old 11-26-2010, 06:56 AM

It's bad enough when the kids ask "are you still sleeping?" at 8am.  To have a grown woman do it would piss me right off.  Freak.

mamadelbosque likes this.
#5 of 24 Old 11-26-2010, 07:05 AM

Did you borrow my mom?

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#6 of 24 Old 11-26-2010, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

That is REALLY annoying. I think your DP should let them know that you guys didn't, and that they are the reason you were woken up early.

I told him that he either needs to tell them not to call before 10am (unless there's an emergency) or I will. But it won't be nearly as nice coming from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by widemouthedfrog View Post

Did you borrow my mom?

LOL.... you can have her back anytime winky.gif

#7 of 24 Old 11-26-2010, 07:37 AM

Well, my parents get up at 4:00 am.  By the time we get up (which is 6:00 am), they are preparing lunch.  That's the problem with old people (and I'm almost elderly myself).  They lose all sense of time.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#8 of 24 Old 11-26-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsCradle View Post

Well, my parents get up at 4:00 am.  By the time we get up (which is 6:00 am), they are preparing lunch.  That's the problem with old people (and I'm almost elderly myself).  They loose all sense of time.

lol... my grandfather is almost 90 and he stays up all night and then sleeps until 2 or 3 pm.  

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#9 of 24 Old 11-26-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyamo View Post

Quote:

Well, my parents get up at 4:00 am.  By the time we get up (which is 6:00 am), they are preparing lunch.  That's the problem with old people (and I'm almost elderly myself).  They loose all sense of time.

lol... my grandfather is almost 90 and he stays up all night and then sleeps until 2 or 3 pm.  

haha my grandma does the same thing! I really thought she was the only one. She'll ask me to take her somewhere and then call at 3pm like it's 1st thing in the morning. lol

OP- that would totally piss me off. One of the worst offenses in my book.

mamadelbosque likes this.
#10 of 24 Old 11-26-2010, 01:27 PM

OMG my ex MIL used to call at 8 am all the time just to chit chat!!!  Drove me freakin' nuts!  Especially as we both worked evenings and did not have to get up early.  WTH lady???

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
#11 of 24 Old 11-26-2010, 01:44 PM

LOL, you should call her up at 1 AM and ask her how dinner was.  ;-)

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#12 of 24 Old 11-26-2010, 08:03 PM

If you could change her "ring" you could make it an easily ignored one.  I have one that I have to get but don't want to hear very loud, so I have it set to chirp like a cricket when they call.  If I am asleep, I don't even hear it.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#13 of 24 Old 11-26-2010, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post

If you could change her "ring" you could make it an easily ignored one.  I have one that I have to get but don't want to hear very loud, so I have it set to chirp like a cricket when they call.  If I am asleep, I don't even hear it.

Second this.  Maybe see if it's possible to set her (ahem, ring tone, I mean) to vibrate or mute.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#14 of 24 Old 11-28-2010, 12:38 AM

I have some people's numbers set on permanent ignore on my phone.....my phone will beep once to tell me that I missed a call.  Then I'll call them back if and when I feel like it.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#15 of 24 Old 11-28-2010, 01:34 AM

The most insane reason to wake someone up is to ask if they are sleeping. To ask if you got any sleep is the second most insane reason to wake someone up.

I also agree with finding a way to make the phone more easy to ignore. Not sure how to go about that though.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#16 of 24 Old 11-28-2010, 07:54 AM

That is so very rude.  I agree if you can to change her ring tone on both of your phones to something that would not wake you up.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#17 of 24 Old 11-28-2010, 08:31 AM

Thats just evil. 

#18 of 24 Old 11-28-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

Seconded.

#19 of 24 Old 11-28-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancoda View Post

That is so very rude.  I agree if you can to change her ring tone on both of your phones to something that would not wake you up.

Like "silent".

#20 of 24 Old 11-28-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

The most insane reason to wake someone up is to ask if they are sleeping. To ask if you got any sleep is the second most insane reason to wake someone up.

I also agree with finding a way to make the phone more easy to ignore. Not sure how to go about that though.

I just dont' answer it.  Hear it, turn over, go back to sleep.  I don't know how the phone ringing is any different than the cab honking in front of building.  Background noise.  Take charge.  :)  If it is an emergency...people have the option of leaving a message.  That's what voicemail is for.  I totally screen my calls.  Call me an ______, but if it is important enough, they can leave a message.

A_Random_Phrase likes this.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#21 of 24 Old 11-28-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I will be tinkering with our phones to figure out how to set specific ring tones to different people! Maybe I can find a very quiet beep (one beep only) for their numbers. I might be able to sleep through one quiet beep.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

I just dont' answer it.  Hear it, turn over, go back to sleep.  I don't know how the phone ringing is any different than the cab honking in front of building.  Background noise.  Take charge.  :)  If it is an emergency...people have the option of leaving a message.  That's what voicemail is for.  I totally screen my calls.  Call me an ______, but if it is important enough, they can leave a message.

DP has no problem sleeping through phones ringing, alarms beeping, etc. He won't wake up to any of those. But if my sleep is disturbed then I can't fall back to sleep. At all. It sucks. DP doesn't understand that because he has no problem rolling out of bed, turning off a phone/alarm and going back to sleep for a few more hours. I can't do that. Once I'm up, I'm up for good.

#22 of 24 Old 11-28-2010, 05:34 PM

#23 of 24 Old 11-28-2010, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

what's wrong with that?

she was being sooo concerned?

i mean after all look at what a mean to be dil you are.

you dont even have a wedding according to what they want. 

you sneak off...

... where she wont even see her dearly beloved son get married...

... you kind of have a reception BEFORE the wedding when you reveal something of your plans

and then...

the GAULLLLLLL!!! you wont even let her go with you on your honeymoon...

... 'so why cant i call my son to find out if he is getting enough sleep'

... 'i need to make sure he is being well taken care of'.

'and there you go... never mind whatever i do ... i can never do anything to make you happy'

<snort>

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#24 of 24 Old 11-29-2010, 06:45 AM

I think she wanted to know if you got the present for him and when she was put on the spot for why she was calling that was the first thing she could think of so he wouldn't know.  However, its still RUDE as heck to call that early.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page