Etsy mix up - WWYD? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-28-2010, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I placed an order on etsy.  The seller accidentally shipped me something that wasn't for me.  She hasn't finished my item, which would ship later.  I received the item right before leaving town for Thanksgiving.  I meant to contact her before leaving, but it wasn't a high priority in the last minute packing rush.  She contacted me while I was gone (before I had access to a computer).  I replied that I did receive the item, was out of town for a week with very limited computer access, and asked how she wanted to proceed. 

She responded asking me to mail it to the intended recipient for her.  She guesses it'll cost about $8 to ship and offered to either send me the $8 now, or wait until I'd shipped it and send the exact amount it costs me.  I'm finally home and need to respond.  In theory, I'm happy to forward it on.  However, shipping it will be a big hassle for me.  It's a bulky item in a manila envelope.  I'll have to go to the post office to ship it.  I have two little ones and we're pretty busy right now.  I really never go to the post office.  I totally dread the idea of doing this. 

So, what should I do?  Should I ask for something in return?  If so, what?  I'm not looking to screw her or the intended recipient.  I don't want to be keeping an item that wasn't intended for me, but I'm feeling put out.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#2 of 16 Old 11-28-2010, 12:16 PM

If you are in the US, it can be sent priority right from your home.  You can buy and print out the shipping and the mailman will pick it up.

USPS will also send you priority mailers to your home too.  Not sure how long that would take though.

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
#3 of 16 Old 11-28-2010, 12:43 PM

I'm an etsy seller and ship most things in bulky, manila envelopes. lol.gif It won't be that hard to ship it out. If your post office has an automatic postage machine, it will have a scale built right in and will print the postage for you on a self-adhesive label. You can use a credit or debit card to pay and you will be able to drop it in the package drop box right there. The whole process should take about as long as using an ATM, if you have the package addressed ahead of time (Leave about a 6"X3" space for the shipping label.) You should never have to wait in a line or even talk to anyone. Many post offices even have the lobby area open 24/7, so you could make a quick trip after the little ones are in bed.

I'd have the seller deduct your shipping costs from the cost of the item that she's sending you later or refund you via Paypal.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#4 of 16 Old 11-28-2010, 02:22 PM

It's not the $8, right?  I would feel totally put out with that request too.  I don't go to the post office for myself (and certainly not for somebody else's mistake!), since it is a TOTAL pain in the bum. I have to arrange childcare, because getting it done with two little ones is nearly impossible and totally stressful.  Let alone Christmas time at the P.O.!!

I hope some Etsy mama's here have some good advice, because I would also be irritated.  But clearly, it isn't a big deal to other people, and it is nice to support people rather than the giant stores! 

I wonder if you could just explain that you can't make it to the PO for her, and she could mail you a return label or something.

Good luck.

#5 of 16 Old 11-28-2010, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I did this with an ebay sell once. I felt horrible. But luckily the recipient was a busy mama, too, and understood and sent it on. I made sure to give her enough for shipping and like $8-10 bucks for the hassle. So I suppose having btdt I would send it out in one of those priority envelopes from home if going to the USPS was too much of a hassle.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#6 of 16 Old 11-28-2010, 02:30 PM

I hear you about going to the post office with little ones: it is no fun. I usually try to ship everything from home. If you have paypal, you can use this link to ship things from home (assuming you have a scale you can weigh it with, or use a priority one-rate box/envelope).

#7 of 16 Old 11-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Dar

I would email her back and tell her that unfortunately it would be really inconvenient for you to go to the post office to mail it. However, if she sends you a prepaid priority mail address label with the correct address, you could just pop that on the package and set it out for the mail carrier, and you would be happy to do that.

Since she thinks it will cost $8 to mail I'm assuming she went to the post office to mail it to you, so the exact weight should be on her receipt and also on the postal label on your package. She can use the online calculator at USPS.gov to figure out what it will cost and then buy the label at the post office, or print it out from her home computer.

If she expects you to do anything more than that, then I think she needs to be offering you a reasonable discount on your item.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#8 of 16 Old 11-28-2010, 03:07 PM

That is a great idea, Dar!

#9 of 16 Old 11-28-2010, 08:15 PM

If you have a printer and a kitchen scale I'd just go to the USPS website, calculate postage and pay for it online, print the shipping label, and stick it in your mailbox.
#10 of 16 Old 11-28-2010, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies.  I do not have a kitchen or postal scale.  I checked the package and can't identify the weight listed anywhere on the envelope.  It's definitely not a money issue to me, it's the time and effort.  It's one more item to add to my already overwhelming to do list that I feel burried under.  The seller sounded worried about the package, but not apologetic or even aware of the request as asking a favor of me.

I think I'll ask her to send me a prepaid shipping label.  Thank you for the idea. 

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#11 of 16 Old 11-29-2010, 07:37 AM

Is the address that you need to send it to as close to you or close than the person that sent it to you?  I'd tape a new address label over it, and put the same amount of postage she used on it, then let the post office know that they need to pick it up.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#12 of 16 Old 11-29-2010, 08:18 AM

As both an eBay and Etsy seller, I don't think it's a terrible thing to ask someone to mail out an item to the correct person. A lot of my work is OOAK and cannot be reproduced. Mistakes happen. I would definitely compensate someone very generously for their time if I made that error.

OP, if your local post office has an automated postal machine inside, you may be able to go use it any time of the day or night. I often mail my packages out at 2 am.

Your Etsy seller absolutely could make up a new package with an item of the same weight to recalculate shipping and print another postage label and mail it to you. Chances are that it will cost a different amount to mail it to the intended recipient as postage is not only calculated by weight, but by zone as well.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#13 of 16 Old 11-29-2010, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren82 View Post

As both an eBay and Etsy seller, I don't think it's a terrible thing to ask someone to mail out an item to the correct person. A lot of my work is OOAK and cannot be reproduced. Mistakes happen. I would definitely compensate someone very generously for their time if I made that error.

OP, if your local post office has an automated postal machine inside, you may be able to go use it any time of the day or night. I often mail my packages out at 2 am.

Your Etsy seller absolutely could make up a new package with an item of the same weight to recalculate shipping and print another postage label and mail it to you. Chances are that it will cost a different amount to mail it to the intended recipient as postage is not only calculated by weight, but by zone as well.

I agree, it's not terrible to ask me to forward it on.  I have no intention of keeping the item.  What I'm frustrated with is the tone of the whole thing.  She actually instructed me to "mail it priority with delivery confirmation ASAP"  There are a lot of things on my to do list that need to get done ASAP.  I'm feeling in over my head right now, as I'm sure many people are.  I didn't screw this up.  I totally get that people make mistakes.  I feel for her.  She's telling me that she's so worried about the package because she's usually so careful about shipping and she had such a stressful week and ...  but she's not acknowledging this as an inconvenience for me.  She's essentially telling me that me leaving town for Thanksgiving was an inconvenience to her and I need to do this asap, and she needs my replies ASAP, and ....  She's made no offer of compensating me for my time.  She seems annoyed with me for being difficult.

I'm sure this is all colored by the sort of week I'm having.  I'm sure she's an overwhelmed mom too. 

#14 of 16 Old 11-29-2010, 09:39 AM

I'd be frustrated if I were you, too.

#15 of 16 Old 11-29-2010, 09:44 AM

I'd be all done. She is totally unreasonable.  Return the incorrect package to the seller.  Cancel your original order, and demand a full return of payment.

I would not continue to support this woman's business.  She is clearly unprofessional.  You don't need her stress too.  Does Etsy have a way to give feedback like ebay does?

I am MAD for you!!!!

Yes, I'm sure she is a busy mom too, however, that is totally irrelevant.  She needs to run her business regardless of personal needs.  And dumping on customers just doesn't work!!

#16 of 16 Old 11-29-2010, 03:29 PM

Can't you just write 'return to sender' on the original package & stick it in your mailbox?

If you were able to help her out & forward it on, I think that would be the nicest thing to do, but since it sounds like you are frustrated & overwhelmed I would just send it back to her & let her know.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page