Need advice on a digital DSLR camera. Anyone have a Canon Rebel XS? Nikon or Canon? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2010, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am curious how you like this camera? I am no professional photographer although I hope to learn more and take some great pictures. I like to snap lots of pictures to capture a great one. I have never owned a dslr. The main problem with my current camera is that after I snap a few pictures I have to wait forever for "processing" befre I can take another picture which makes me miss so many good pictures! Mostly I take pitures of my 2 year old but also would like to caputre some beautiful pictures of scenery and family.

Any advice? Do you like Nikon or Canon better? If you own or have used the Canon Rebel XS, does it make you wait to take pics like my current camera? Keep in mind I can only afford a budget camera.

To explain a bit further. My wonderful husband bought me the Canon Rebel XS. After charging the camera battery and being anxious to try it out, I took 3 pictures then the camera kept saying busy and would not take anymore. Then when I turned it off, it sat with the red light on and said something about recording remaing pictures:9 forever. I finally gave up and pulled my card out afraid that I would lose all the pics on the card (from my other camera). The 3 pics I took did not save on the card. I don"t know if I am just camera dumb right now with this new one or if there is something wrong with it. I tried searching online for an answer. It seems that the "busy" thing is a common problem and I kept reading about people that had this camera break several times on them in a short time. I can not afford to replace this camera. It is a splurge for us. So, we are thinking about returning it and getting something more reliable that will fit our needs. That is where I need advice. Am I doing something wrong? Would I better off with another camera? My sister has never had any problems with her older Nikon. My mom has a more expensive newer Canon that I use alot and it always seems to stobe but not take pictures. That would drive me crazy.

Help please!!!  Sorry this is so long.

partners.gif Wife to mysuperhero.gif             
hang.gif Mommy to thehomebirth.jpg miracle of our love lovestory.gif  our sweet dog2.gif andchicken3.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i have a nikon d40x slr (maybe 3 years old now) and i love it.  the nikon and canons are pretty much the same if you compare the features of each once within their product line.  they are also similarly rated.  i don't think you can go wrong picking one brand over the other. but the lenses are not interchangeable, so once you pick a brand you pretty much stick with it if you buy additional lenses, which i highly recommend.

your problem sounds like a fluke - i have never experienced that.  do you have an old or small memory card?    

Old 12-02-2010, 07:20 AM

I have a canon xsi that I love.  It's never done what you describe.  I take a lot of pics in quick succession with no delay.  It's about 2 years old and I've never had a problem with it.  As soon as you snap a pic it's on the memory card, you pop the card out and into your computer, no waiting.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:28 AM

It does sound like it might be a memory card problem. Do you have a different card you could try? 

I have a Nikon d40. I like it well enough. I wish I would have waited a few months and saved more money to buy a d80 or something else, but it's ok. I've not had problems except once, when the shutter wouldn't close. All it took was spraying some dust out of it, and everything was ok again. 

Old 12-02-2010, 07:36 AM

I have a Rebel T1i and I have never experienced what you describe. 

I suspect there is either something wrong with the camera itself or it is on some weird settting.  Also, you can set the camera to take many shots in quick succession (sports/fast movement mode) versus standard one at a time shots.  Even on the one-at-a-time setting there should be no delay between snaps.

Actually, this may be the problem - I think you need to formate that card for use in that camera.  I may be wrong about this but I don't think you can swap a card between different cameras.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.  But make sure you save all pictures on the card because formatting it will erase anything already on the card.

A new card may also be needed.  I was told by a avid amatuer that cards get bogged down after a while and it takes longer for the camera to post imagines to the card.  Also, that it is better to have two, smaller memory cards versus one huge memory card because that also effects speed.

Strobe but not take pictures?  I would check the setting, I have had that happen in low light situations where the camera couldn't focus on the subject.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 12-02-2010, 07:45 AM

I have the Rebel XT (bought when my son was a few months old).  I love it and recently my hubby bought me a 70-300mm lens for it.  I have never had a problem with it....I have never seen the warning that you had.  I am very partial to Canon.  I have in the powershot SD series the 200 (and underwater casing), 1000, 1400is as well as the PowerShot SX 200 (12x optical zoom). 

I would invest in a new highspeed memory card.  I use the San Disk line.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
Old 12-02-2010, 07:53 AM

Yes, sounds like the memory card, not the camera.  I have a few different cards and the cheapies take much longer to process photos than the more expensive ones - but still, a few seconds if I've taken a bunch of pictures in a short time, not what you are describing.

I have the Canon Rebel - have had it for a few years and really love it.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

I do have another card I can try. I will get back to you with that. I did some experimenting and I have not been able to take any pictures on the "running man" settting. I tried a couple times and it always goes right to busy and will not capture. Also, the camera has not been turning on. I have had to pull the battery a few times now. I know I have a lot to learn to use a dslr but I thought it would capture wonderful photos out of the box on the auto setting. So far I am very disappointed.

hang.gif Mommy to thehomebirth.jpg miracle of our love lovestory.gif  our sweet dog2.gif andchicken3.gif

Old 12-02-2010, 09:06 AM

Hmmmm....I would contact Canon.  Did you register it online?  Contact them and get it checked out.....you shouldn't be having issues with a brand new camera unless it is just user error

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Old 12-02-2010, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegirl View Post

Hmmmm....I would contact Canon.  Did you register it online?  Contact them and get it checked out.....you shouldn't be having issues with a brand new camera unless it is just user error

I have not registered it yet. I just took it out of the box yesterday afternoon.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinlovinlaughin View Post

I do have another card I can try. I will get back to you with that. I did some experimenting and I have not been able to take any pictures on the "running man" settting. I tried a couple times and it always goes right to busy and will not capture. Also, the camera has not been turning on. I have had to pull the battery a few times now. I know I have a lot to learn to use a dslr but I thought it would capture wonderful photos out of the box on the auto setting. So far I am very disappointed.

Just want to point out that the auto setting often uses the flash.  The flash in my experience rarely turns out good photos.  Flash takes the natural sparkle out of the eyes as well as mucking up the natural colour of the shot.  Learn to use manual mode.  It's fairly easy.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)

You said that you are using a memory card from your old camera - is it a SDHC or is it just an SD card because that may be the cause of the problem. Your camera is meant to use the SDHC but since the two cards are bassically identical in size the SD card will fit but won't work as efficiently. I have a Canon Rebel and have never encountered the problem you are having (except there is sometimes a delay when my batery is getting low).

Old 12-03-2010, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

The card seems to have been the initial problem. Strangely though, when I turn on the sports mode and try to shoot in burst mode, it is slower than the other modes. It should be faster. 

I have discovered that my 75-300mm lens does not have image stabilization greensad.gif the small lens that comes on the camera does. I need opinons here. I can get the Nikon D3000 with 2 lenses 18-55mm and 55-200mm both with virbration reduction for the same price as what I have now. Considering I will not be uding a tripod for most of my shooting and at the same time trying to chase my 2 year old for pictures which set would I better off with? Would I really benefit from having the image stabiliztion/vibration reduction? Also, as I said, I am a beginner with all the camera terms. I hope to educate myself and learn to use my camera to its full potential eventually but I am starting at the beginning. The Nikon has a guide mode on it. I wonder if I would do better starting off with that one??

What do you think? Thanks for the opinions.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:

The card seems to have been the initial problem. Strangely though, when I turn on the sports mode and try to shoot in burst mode, it is slower than the other modes. It should be faster. 

I have discovered that my 75-300mm lens does not have image stabilization greensad.gif the small lens that comes on the camera does. I need opinons here. I can get the Nikon D3000 with 2 lenses 18-55mm and 55-200mm both with virbration reduction for the same price as what I have now. Considering I will not be uding a tripod for most of my shooting and at the same time trying to chase my 2 year old for pictures which set would I better off with? Would I really benefit from having the image stabiliztion/vibration reduction? Also, as I said, I am a beginner with all the camera terms. I hope to educate myself and learn to use my camera to its full potential eventually but I am starting at the beginning. The Nikon has a guide mode on it. I wonder if I would do better starting off with that one??

My lens is also without IS.  It works amazingly.....You will likely get most use of your 18-55mm (the 75-300mm really needs distance between you and subject)  When I get more lenses I will seek out IS but the lens I have is great (plus my hubby got a great deal on it), the IS ones are way more expensive.  Get a book on using DSLRs and learn all you can, there is a learning curve when going from a basic point and shoot to a DSLR.  I went out and bought 2 books on my camera specifically-that was a great help to me.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:

You have the cheaper version of the 75-300 mm lense.  The IS version of that lense starts at $650 and goes up from there.  Without IS, it runs $200-$250. 

Did you buy this as a kit by chance?  Kits from B & H, for example, are often packaged with the cheaper/less expense version of the lense.

Do you need that much of a zoom?  That is a big, heavy lense. 

I have a 28-135mm USM with imagine stabilization and have yet to "need" more zoom.  I paid about $425 for my lense.  Since buying it, I have never returned to the 18-55 mm that came with the camera.  My primary subjects are DS and DH, some scenery.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:42 AM

I hope you get your canon fixed... I would definitely do that before investing in a new one.

I have a Nikon d40 and like it just fine; I'm not going to lie, though, I really don't know how to use it past the auto setting.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:43 AM

Concerning switching brands - I talked to several professional photographers and many, many hardcore amatuers and all had the same opinion that both are a good product, at the entry level there isn't a difference, most people tend to stick with the brand they know. 

Like me, I upgraded from a high end Powershot.  I looked a both brands and when it came down it, the Nikon and Canon I were considering were so similar, I just stuck with the brand I was familar with.

The digital grin forum is a good source of information. 

Old 12-03-2010, 10:09 AM

I have a Canon Rebel and love it. Haven't run into any of the problems you mentioned. I was going to say it sounds like your memory card but if it's still acting weird, what about going back to the store with it? You should be able to exchange it for another which is quicker and easier than dealing with the company. 

Blogging about renovations in our first home

User Tag List