This is gross, right? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dogs doing that is kinda gross.  Someone else's dog doing it is grosser.  I don't know why.

But, I totally thought of this thread when I took some leftover rice to the chickens tonight.  I scattered most of it on the ground, but some stuck to the bowl, and I let them peck it off and it didn't gross me out one bit.  Maybe because they weren't licking it?  shrug.gif

Mama to three  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 07:22 AM
2xy

On a "germs....ick" level, raw chicken or pork is a far bigger gross-out to me than dog/cat spit. I figure if your method of dishwashing isn't good enough to handle pet saliva, then it probably isn't good enough to clean your cutting board, either.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

I'm a huge dog person, but that's gross. The dishes probably aren't actually any dirtier than they would be otherwise, but I would think that most people would realize that guests may find that unappetizing and would at least dump their plates out into the dog's bowl instead....

nod.gif

I'm a dog lover, but I also have an inside dog that will swat at bugs without successfully killing them.  Yeah, not exactly a predator.  wink1.gif  That said, I do what limabean does; we scrape anything we are going to give the dog into the dog's bowl directly. 

Old 12-04-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

I'm a huge dog person, but that's gross. The dishes probably aren't actually any dirtier than they would be otherwise, but I would think that most people would realize that guests may find that unappetizing and would at least dump their plates out into the dog's bowl instead. 

But then I always used a separate scrubber to clean the dog's bowl than I used to clean our dishes, so I guess I'm a fan of keeping doggie slobber and human slobber separate. wink1.gif

Ditto on all counts! Totally gross for sure.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

Old 12-04-2010, 01:33 PM

I am decidedly in the 'not gross' camp. We do it here daily. So far, so good. LOL. 

Wanna hear something that will really squick you out? My current living situation often finds me doing the dishes with water in two big bowls outside in the grass. Soapy water in one, and clean to rinse in the other. I am a woman on the edge I guess. dishes.gif

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 12-04-2010, 01:51 PM

Totally gross...and the whole "dogs mouths are cleaner than humans" is a big ol' crock and a myth, too. wink1.gif  Bacteria in the mouth of a dog are species specific but that doesn't mean they aren't full of nasty germs. They eat rotten garbage, lick their butts and any other butt they can find.  They eat roadkill and feces.  So, while they can't give you strep throat they can give you other lovely germ infested goodies. 

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

Old 12-04-2010, 04:19 PM

So, would you rather be healthy or squeamish?

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 12-04-2010, 04:27 PM

I don't think it's as much of a hygiene thing as it is about mannerism.  Maybe plenty of people are not grossed out by letting a dog lick plates after a meal, but because there is a great potential (note: the responses here), I can't imagine allowing it when company is over.  Sheesh, you could stack the dirty dishes in the sink and let your dog have at them after your guests leave, if you want. 

I'm assuming that these dogs know not to ever try to eat off people's plates when they are still enjoying their meal, right?  'cause the mentioning of dogs licking plates quickly before the dishes were loaded in the dishwasher kinda got me wondering. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:47 PM

This has gotta be a myth. I don't see how a dogs mouth can be cleaner than a humans. A dog licked an open scratch I had once and it got a raging infection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post

Meh.  They are washing them.  Dogs mouths are cleaner than humans' mouths anyway.

I may or may not have done that when I was a kid and had to do the dinner dishes.

Mind you, I have two dogs now, and don't do it.  The scraps get put in their bowls for them.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:05 PM

This thread is interesting.  I don't have a dog, I'm not a dog person - not a pet person at all, infact, but it wouldn't occur to me to think of that as gross or rude. 

Old 12-04-2010, 07:12 PM

If you Google it, pretty much every link says it is a myth.  However, many of them go on to say that most of the germs in a dog's mouth are species specific, so they won't get a person sick. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelionkid View Post

This has gotta be a myth. I don't see how a dogs mouth can be cleaner than a humans. A dog licked an open scratch I had once and it got a raging infection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post

Meh.  They are washing them.  Dogs mouths are cleaner than humans' mouths anyway.

I may or may not have done that when I was a kid and had to do the dinner dishes.

Mind you, I have two dogs now, and don't do it.  The scraps get put in their bowls for them.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:21 PM

It's not too gross to me, although letting the dogs do it in front of guests is kind of icky.  We let our cats lick bowls, and we don't have a dishwasher.  I don't think it's any ickier than raw meat touching plates.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

Old 12-04-2010, 08:07 PM

Nope. Doesn't gross me out at all. We do it everyday. We're all just fine. :)

Old 12-06-2010, 01:32 PM

As long as the dishes are washed in hot water and soap, I don't see the big deal. shrug.gif

autismribbon.gif

Old 12-06-2010, 02:52 PM

Nope, not gross at all. I do it all the time.

My mom, who doesn't have dogs, when she comes over and does the dishes after dinner sets all the stuff with stuck on food on the floor for the dogs to rinse before putting in the dishwasher. (This was after I made Thanksgiving dinner for everyone and am 7 months pregnant, not like I always make her do the dishes at my house)

I did not do this when I hand washed dishes though.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post

Wow some of you guys get grossed out really easily. 

We do this, all the time.  In front of guests and everything.  Never occurred to me that someone would be yucked out by it.  Like a pp, it's an economical and eco-friendly way of "rinsing" dishes before they go in the dishwasher.  Cuts down on food waste and extends the life of the dishwasher.

Because the dishes go in the dishwasher after, I can't see that germs would be an issue.  I really don't get how dogs licking stuff off plates sounds icky?  Mine makes fairly gross noises when she eats HER food (which is raw chicken backs, carrots & raw eggs) but the only noises from her licking the plates is the banging of the plate against the table or the baseboards. 

Life is too short to be bothered by things like this.  There's no health risk, and as for the rude aspect - arguably, it's equally rude to criticize people's habits after they've fed you. 

I'm agreeing to this.  I don't have to much "polite" company though.  I guess there are people I wouldn't do it in front of but only to protect their irrational sensibilities.  

Old 12-06-2010, 02:58 PM

I should add...that I let the dog clean the baby when he gets really sticky with food too.  It's a big help. :P

Old 12-06-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post

Wow some of you guys get grossed out really easily. 

Life is too short to be bothered by things like this.  There's no health risk, and as for the rude aspect - arguably, it's equally rude to criticize people's habits after they've fed you. 

I don't think the OP is 'criticizing' anymore so than she's being 'criticized' for thinking it's gross. Different folks different strokes, you know? I think it's fine that some people aren't grossed out by it, and I think that it's fine that some people are. I think the OP was just trying to gauge if she was overreacting.

Since I was one who said it was rude I'll just add that for me it's about the difference in the way I would raise a dog/pet. I disagree with it, just like I disagree with some of my friends/families parenting decisions. But I'm not rude to them or criticize them. I just have different opinions which I assumed were safe to express in a thread specifically asking about those opinions.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:26 PM

I'd bring paper plates next time.  orngbiggrin.gif

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 12-06-2010, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I don't think it's gross - that's what soap is for. I let my dog lick plates for years and never got sick. Plus I never had to soak/scrub any baked on meat dishes.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

Old 12-08-2010, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

It's gross. To the OP, my MIL did the very same thing. Pile up scraps onto a dinner plate, put it down on the carpeted floor in the TV room and let the dog have at it.  Just... yuck.

I'm not going to argue whether it's really unhygienic or not.  It's just not OK to do that with guests around.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:13 PM

There used to be a bar in our neighborhood that would do this with their plates. Seemed a little odd to me, but on the other hand, it was a dive, and it did have big dogs wandering around the bar (legal? I was never sure; they served some bar-type munchy food, but weren't a restaurant), and they had a big industrial dishwasher so I figured it got anything questionable off. 

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 12-09-2010, 12:17 PM

My dog licks D's high chair tray clean, then I was it in the sink with soap and hot water.  It doesn't gross me out one bit, considering he also lets dog eat out of his hand and then finishes the bite himself.  I guess I just have a very high threshold for pet grossness LOL.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:19 PM

I think it is gross, but then I don't really like dogs. And my daughter is incredibly allergic to dog saliva, so not only gross, but potentially life threatening.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:58 AM

LOL  No it doesn't gross me out.  what's the big deal?  The dishes are being washed before they are used again.  It is setting up a bad habit for the dog but the dog licking the plate?  mheh!  My cats get the last drops of milk from our cereal and ice cream....lol no biggie.  Again.....they are washed. 

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
Old 12-10-2010, 12:50 PM

This would goss me out big time. I love dogs, but their saliva seems to leave a wierd film that is quite hard to wash off.

User Tag List