Help re: Christmas gifts for friends' kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2010, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

As I'm typing this it's getting confusing, so let me preface it with some labels:

Family A: Our closest friends, who have 3 kids. We normally exchange Christmas gifts between the kids, and the 4 adults usually have an evening out together as our gift to each other. 

Family B: More close friends, who have 2 kids, but we usually don't exchange Christmas gifts with them, except maybe a bottle of wine or something. 

Okay, here's the background story: 

We went on a trip with Families A and B just before Christmas. We had a wonderful time and it was quite expensive, and I assumed that was our gift to each other this year (whoops!). It turns out that Family A got our kids gifts as usual and wants to get together to give them to us. So I'll go get their kids gifts so that we can exchange, which is fine -- I should have clarified with the other mom before our trip. 

But we're throwing a New Year's Eve party and Families A and B will be there, along with a few other people (who we've already exchanged gifts with, so I'm not worried about them). I'm sure Family A will bring my kids' gifts to the party, so I'll plan to have gifts for their kids there too.

So here are my questions:

1) Should I get something for the children in Family B too? I'd like to, but I don't want them to feel put on the spot if they don't get our kids anything. But on the other hand I don't want to pass out presents to Family A and leave out Family B. Any ideas on how to handle this? 

2) If you answer that I should get all the kids something, any ideas for a small (maybe $10-$15) gift that would work for all of them? There are 4 boys ages 3-8 (and 1 infant girl, but I'll get her something different -- ideas welcome there too though!). 

3) Totally unrelated, but since you're all here, any ideas for a cute small favor to give out to everyone at the NYE party? smile.gif

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm totally not creative with gift ideas right now (I'm all gifted out lol!) but as to the rest of your dilemma, I'd say either get together to exchange gifts with Family A earlier this week, or give Family B a call & ask if they want to participate in the gift swap the kids will be doing at the NYE party. Then they can say yes or no but won't feel embarrassed at not having gifts for your kids...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 12-27-2010, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I agree about either exchanging with family A before the party, or calling family B and asking them in advance.

Gift ideas...four boys...maybe a package of Legos (not one of the speciality sets, but just the regular blocks)? Do they watch movies? Maybe you could pick out an age appropriate DVD? Possibly a children's board game (although that's tricky with a child as young as three)? I've had success with bug catching/observation kits, but that might not go over well in the middle of winter. Craft supplies (big pad of paper, markers, etc.)?

That's about all I've got. I have no real suggestions for the little girl. DD2 got some playsilks and loves them, but they're a bit pricey.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 12-27-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Thanks for the input. I agree that it'd be better to exchange gifts with Family A separate from the NYE party. We don't have plans to see them earlier this week though (and it's a pretty busy week and we live about half an hour apart, so I don't think we can arrange that at short notice). I wouldn't mind doing it later (it'd give me more time to shop!), but I'm pretty certain that Family A will bring the gifts for our kids to the NYE party.

I guess I could call the mom and ask her not to bring the gifts so that Family B doesn't feel left out. Or maybe I could also ask Family A to arrive a bit early so the kids could exchange gifts just before the party...

Ugh, just when I thought I was done with all the gift stuff for this year! 

Storm Bride, I like the bug collecting idea -- I live in CA, so winter isn't really an issue around here. It might be hard to find those sets at this time of year, but I'll give it a shot -- thanks! 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014

User Tag List