Help me find shoes for myself - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-02-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for a new pair of shoes. I have spent the last 15 or so years wearing basic converse and I am looking for a change. These shes must be versatile. I am not someone who likes to have lots of shoes. I want one pair that can go with pants in the winter, skirts in the summer and really winter too (with tights) and also be good for carpis/shorts.

Last year I bougt a pair of chacos. I love them for their great support and I love how they look. If I could wear them all winter, I would, but obviously I can't do that.

I would like something that works with black and brown. I wear alot of black but then have earth tones sprinkled without. With my chocos, I went with a green and just wear them with everything.

I dont like really flat shoes. My converse are flat, but I use a gel insert for more arch. I think I may actually have little to no arch in my foot, so support is important to me.

I have a bunch of gift money so I am prepared to spend higher numbers if I can find something to meet my desires.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you!!
#2 of 20 Old 01-02-2011, 04:29 PM

Is there a DSW shoe store in your area? They have such a large selection, I would go there and try on a bunch of different things to see what's most comfy for you. I wish I would be more help but I live in sneakers and Ugg boots. But my girlfriend,who loves shoes, goes to DSW often and Macy's as well. Good luck :)

#3 of 20 Old 01-02-2011, 05:21 PM

i just got a pair of these and they are wonderful, i guess you might not like them because they are "flat" but that is the whole idea (kinda like soft soles for the kids) anyway i loved them so i bought a casual shoe to wear with skirts/capris http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320609868506&var=510018713285&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_502wt_976

that picture is kind of bad, they are so cute in person! this company runs small imo

mama to one '07 and one '09
#4 of 20 Old 01-02-2011, 05:41 PM

I'm not sure these will fit your 'go with everything' requirement.  But I love them and would wear them with everything if I could - they are so comfortable!  (I found them on sale online.)

In the past I've mostly worn Teva's which are also very comfortable and less expensive.

edited to fix link

#5 of 20 Old 01-02-2011, 07:40 PM

Ive had these for 4 years and absolutely love them.  eventually I had to buy a new insole LOL  I love them so much I bought them in a bigger size too to accommodate thicker socks for winter.  Ive worn these dressed up, hiking etc.

http://www.shoebuy.com/keen-calistoga/256106

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#6 of 20 Old 01-02-2011, 08:50 PM

http://www.zappos.com/merrell-spire-emme-black-leather

LOVE these shoes! Very comfy. I wear them with everything including dresses/skirts. You have to wear barefoot, tights/pantyhose or trouser socks (think tights but only knee highs. You can't wear regular socks with them.

lady.gif
#7 of 20 Old 01-02-2011, 10:29 PM

What style do you want?

the "mary jane" style will go with most things, but you'd have to make sure they're OK with most pants:

http://www.zappos.com/clarks-un-examine-black-leather

http://www.zappos.com/clarks-un-glare-black-leather

http://www.zappos.com/clarks-mandymay-black-tumbled

A loafer/slip-on might be better in winter/pants, but some might look clunky with skirts, some not

http://www.zappos.com/clarks-nikki-newbury-black-scrunch

http://www.zappos.com/clarks-sixty-delta-black-leather

http://www.zappos.com/clarks-maven-opal-black-leather

http://www.zappos.com/clarks-dynamic-vision-black-leather

http://www.zappos.com/born-honesty-black-full-grain-leather?zlfid=111

Do you want a heel or no? I don't do heels, so I searched without. But you might.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#8 of 20 Old 01-02-2011, 10:41 PM

Have you ever worn Danskos? I'm a shoe minimalist, and I love my Marcelles--they're like Mary Janes. I wear them all year round with jeans, skirts, dresses, cords, etc. I don't really wear shorts, but I would think that they could go with shorts, depending on the shorts' style. These clogs are great barefoot, with socks or tights. They are so versatile and amazingly comfy and supportive. If you've never done clogs before, it might take a few weeks to fall in love, but I highly recommend checking them out in person. I've heard a lot of hairdressers who spend a lot of time on their feet like Danskos, and I can see why. Good luck! 

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#9 of 20 Old 01-02-2011, 11:18 PM

I wear these keens a lot. I don't care if there is snow - they are so comfy I wear them anyway.

http://iphone.zappos.com/keen-golden-ballerina-black

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#10 of 20 Old 01-03-2011, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

NAK

I dont like heels. I also dont think I want a leather shoe. Leather feels too fancy to me. I have a pair of leather shoes and they make me feel too dressed up. Really narrowing it down, arent I? I really dont have a style preference. I'm open minded about that.
#11 of 20 Old 01-03-2011, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

I wear these keens a lot. I don't care if there is snow - they are so comfy I wear them anyway.

http://iphone.zappos.com/keen-golden-ballerina-black

I liked these best. Only thing I didnt like was the amount of foot that shows. I want to be able to wear socks and not have to worry too much about what they look lik e ( sometimes whenI run low, christmas socks are worn in the summer)
#12 of 20 Old 01-03-2011, 02:37 PM

I will second the nominations of Keen or Dansko brand shoes.  Both make a TON of different styles.  Zappos or REI both sell quite a few of them online.  Although with the Danskos, I would absolutely find a place locally that sells them and try them on.  They're great, but they have a very unique fit and you'll want someone local who knows how to properly fit them.

ReadingMama likes this.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#13 of 20 Old 01-03-2011, 06:21 PM

what i love about my keens is that yes even though they are leather they dont look fancy but they still dress up nice.  I will wear these shoes hiking and wore them the 8 hours straight I walked while in Vegas.  and I even got married in them (with gray slacks and a black blouse)

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#14 of 20 Old 01-03-2011, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

I will have to look at Keens. I have looked at some on zappos, but didn't see anything that made me go "me!" Keep the suggestions coming, I have been checking back.
#15 of 20 Old 01-04-2011, 06:09 AM

6pm.com

The site is huge and a bit overwelming but amazing.

I'm a keen lover as well.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#16 of 20 Old 01-04-2011, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

#17 of 20 Old 01-04-2011, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman'smom View Post

6pm.com

The site is huge and a bit overwelming but amazing.

I'm a keen lover as well.

I actually found these shies on the 6pm site, but they dont have them in my size. Found them elsewhere in my size and still on sale. Thanks for the tip!
#18 of 20 Old 01-05-2011, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Purchased the Keen Midori MJ in Iguana. Thanks everyone for the help!!
#19 of 20 Old 01-06-2011, 09:01 AM

I like the shoes here:

www.6pm.com

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#20 of 20 Old 01-06-2011, 03:13 PM

I was also going to suggest keens, I love the ones you chose!  I have the same ones as Sharlla and I wear them EVERYWHERE.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page