Do you stock up before a storm? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was in the grocery store today, just my regular shopping trip, and it was PACKED. I was all confused about why it was so busy... thinking, Hmm, it's not the first of the month, it's not a holiday, what's going on???? Then I realized it was because of a big storm coming tonight.

What I don't understand is, why does this make people run to the stores in droves? It doesn't make sense to me. The storm might keep everyone more homebound for a day or two, though many people will still probably go to work... the stores will still be there the next day... do people really not have enough food in their pantry to get through one day??? We could easily live out of our pantry/freezer for a week or two (and have done so when we're too lazy to grocery shop!) I've got to be missing something, there must be some reason or some horrible situation that happened years ago that makes people feel the need to stock up. 

So... do you run out to the stores the day before a storm? Why or why not?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#2 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 10:42 AM

I don't bother because I live within easy walking distance of a grocery store.  In the 21 years I lived in this town, the store was closed once, for a half-day, because of snow and that time it was 36 inches of snow.

I suppose some people don't have a pantry stock pile but even so, how much of a hardship would it be to go without milk (or whatever) for day if you couldn't or didn't want to drive?

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#3 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 10:47 AM

I don't, but then we always have enough food to last at least a week if not longer.  However, now that I think about it, we likely don't have a huge amount of food that doesn't require cooking, so if the power were to go out, we might have problems.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#4 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 10:51 AM

No, unless I was totally out of food, we could last a few days.  And I'm never totally out of food.

I guess we haven't had a storm big enough that I'm homebound anyways. 

#5 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I was raised in the South. We drive poorly when there's ice and snow out. So yes, I still make the bread and milk runs to the store when we are expecting bad weather. I also bring a stack of firewood to the back door and things like that. I feel like my family depends on me. Silly? Maybe so, but I feel like being prepared never hurt anyone.

#6 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

We usually have plenty of food, but I can see myself going out for new milk or something if I knew I'd be wanting to not drive for a couple of days. And just because I could live out of my pantry doesn't mean I wouldn't rather have some different ingredients on hand if it's convenient to make a quick stop at the store while I'm out in temperate weather. 

The other people at the store probably thought you were one of the "droves," so you never know what each person's motivation for being there was. I guess I just don't see anything superior about making a point of not going to the grocery store when a storm is coming. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#7 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

The other people at the store probably thought you were one of the "droves," so you never know what each person's motivation for being there was. I guess I just don't see anything superior about making a point of not going to the grocery store when a storm is coming. 

No, I don't mean it that way. There's nothing superior about going or not going to the store lol! Usually Tuesday mornings the stores are pretty empty, & it's just crazy navigating the aisles & waiting in long lines so I was wondering what the impetus was for all these people to feel the need to stock up. Or if there was some horrible risk to not stocking up, that I just wasn't aware of -- in other words, maybe I SHOULD be making a point to stock up?? Sorry if I offended you in any way. I was just curious!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#8 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 11:49 AM

We live in a dense city with most people living in tiny places.  We don't really "stock up" for anything, mainly because we have such limited space. I can just walk up the block if we need anything.  Worse comes to worst, we can eat no-name-brand pasta that the corner deli stocks.  We do always have a bag of rice or pasta in the cabinet, so no one is going to starve. I do notice, however, that a lot of elderly types do descend upon the major grocery stores right before a storm (or threatened storm).  I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that they are much less mobile than us, um, middle-aged and younger types.  I can totally see how a foot of snow could isolate them for a few days.  This weekend our main neighborhood grocery store was insanely busy, but we had just dug ourselves out of one blizzard (that was poorly handled by the city) and people were probably finally getting out for regular shopping. 

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#9 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 11:49 AM

We live pretty isolated and are unable to leave our little valley probably 50% of the time from Oct to May so we are constantly prepared and stocked up! I keep 6 months worth of canned fruit, veggies, and beans. I also have 10-15 jars of PB and Jams, probably about 50 lbs of dried beans, flour, sugar, and salt. We easily have 2 years worth of meat as well. I also make sure to have a good variety of misc stuff, hard candies, pudding, noodles, batteries, toilet paper, light bulbs, tang lol. Then we also have oodles of water. It probably sounds like some bunker in the 50s, but it has been a lifesaver on many occasions!

And to clarify, we do use all this stuff on a regular basis. It is not "emergency only". I rotate it so nothing is wasted.

#10 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 11:55 AM

If I know bad weather is coming I'll get errands done I don't want to do in bad weather.  But I have a big stockpile of food so that really isn't an issue for us.

#11 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 11:55 AM

We're in New England, small city/suburbs, and the stores are always packed just before a predicted storm. Which always makes me giggle a little when that OMG Storm of the Century turns out to be half an hour of light drizzle. I've been here my whole life and I still don't get it. In fact, I'll avoid the store before a storm much like I avoid stores the day before the Super Bowl. It's too crazy. Even if we're out of milk or eggs, we can do fine without them for a couple days, and it rarely takes more than a couple days to get dug out and back to something vaguely resembling a normal schedule. Now for a hurricane, I'll stock up. It might be a week or more before getting power back, so if I don't have nonperishable food and drinking water on hand enough to last that long, I'll make a supply run. But that's about the only weather-related event for this area that will get me going to the store just because of that.

#12 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 PM

It seems like a good idea to me. If the power were knocked out for several days things could get bad fast. The food in your fridge/freezer would go bad and you wouldn't be able to cook any foods like pasta, dried beans or rice. Also the stores would close if their cash registers and lights didn't work.

#13 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 12:04 PM

I used to think the same way, but now, not so much.

I don't think it's as much "have to run out and get bread and water because we are going to be snowed in for weeks on end!"  Rather just a matter of "I have Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday available to go do my weekly shopping.  The weather is supposed to be crappy on Tuesday and Wednesday, so I want to get it done today. "   

#14 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 12:18 PM

We don't, but then I have a pretty well stocked pantry.

#15 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 12:25 PM

I have a well stocked pantry, and I could probably eat out of it for a few months.  But that doesn't mean I want to winky.gif

Sometimes I stock up before a storm, sometimes not.  We do live out in the country and we do get snowed in occasionally.  It's nice to have easy foods to make when we're all at home together, but it's not imperative.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#16 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamom View Post

It seems like a good idea to me. If the power were knocked out for several days things could get bad fast. The food in your fridge/freezer would go bad and you wouldn't be able to cook any foods like pasta, dried beans or rice. Also the stores would close if their cash registers and lights didn't work.

We don't have any stores around to worry about, but we have had the rest happen. All of the food went outside in the snow and we cooked over the fireplace :)

#17 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 12:30 PM

We do. These days, we go to the grocery store every other day (well, at least 2-3 times a week) so if a storm is coming and we might have 1-2 days where going out isn't so great, we'll go out before a storm to make sure we have enough of the kinds of things people want when we are snowed in: beer, snacks, coffee, etc. Also, when it snows like that and *everyone* is home, we go through a LOT more food (3 adults, 3 kids in this house) so we go to the store just to make sure we have the extras that we might not normally need.

Ok, ok. We really just go for beer and wine. wink1.gif

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#18 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 12:31 PM

Our county has some plowing challenges and we discovered last winter that sometimes it can take them up to 5 days to plow our (relatively urban) neighborhood if there is a lot of snow.  (We are in the mid-Atlantic and not used to getting a whole lot of snow...so officials can be caught off guard).

So yes, if there is more than a few inches of snow in the forecast, I make sure that I have enough food for us to eat in case we can't get out for a few days. 

Mama to a little bouncy girl (11/08) and someone new coming 11/11!
#19 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 12:33 PM
2xy

Well, aside from older folks who might have trouble getting out after a snowstorm, you must understand that not everybody is a person with a family who has a pantry full of food. A good number of the people I work with are single twenty-somethings who eat out all the time and rarely have groceries at home. So yeah, they probably run to the store if they think they might be housebound for even a day.

Around here, people blame the Blizzard of '78 for the grocery-store-frenzy before a storm. Old habits die hard. My DH's grandfather was one of those stranded at work during that storm. He eventually walked home but spent one night in a diner or something.

#20 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 01:03 PM

Around here people generally don't stock up. Then again, we live in an area where we can get some pretty heavy rain and/or intense winds and people generally have a supply of easy, no-cook food on hand for when you get stuck for 24 hours without power. We also have a habit of ignoring the "don't drive unless you have to" warnings.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#21 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 01:15 PM

this is my feeling on it.  I also make sure we have enough gas in our 4wd vehicle.  We ran out last time because we got detoured off of our exit that we were going to get gas at.  I make sure we have enough snacks and stuff and staples so I won't have to go drive in it if i don't have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post

I used to think the same way, but now, not so much.

I don't think it's as much "have to run out and get bread and water because we are going to be snowed in for weeks on end!"  Rather just a matter of "I have Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday available to go do my weekly shopping.  The weather is supposed to be crappy on Tuesday and Wednesday, so I want to get it done today. "   

#22 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post

If I know bad weather is coming I'll get errands done I don't want to do in bad weather.  But I have a big stockpile of food so that really isn't an issue for us.

This. However, I am going to be stopping at the grocery store on my way home from choir rehearsal tonight. I was going to bepicking up a couple things I need for tomorrow's dinner, anyway - and now I'll get a few things I probably would have picked up on Wednesday. The forecast is showing fairly heavy snowfall for tonight/early tomorrow morning. I prefer not to go out driving in the snow, and I can walk, but would rather not with the kids (the closest grocery store isn't my favourite, anyway - and one section fo the sidewalk is always a deathtrap after it snows). Aside from the things I need for dinner, I'll pick up some more bananas, milk (we go through a lot) and a few "fresh" veggies. I think we're well stocked on everything else. But, I go to the grocery store 3-4 times a week, anyway, so this isn't particularly unusual, yk?

We very rarely get weather conditions that would call for stocking up, though.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#23 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 02:13 PM

People tend to stock up around here as well- normally I would, but we are pretty well set. I will make sure we have enough water in case of a power outage, and in fact, I decided to bake bread today instead of tomorrow so we would have bread.

We have candles, food, and water so we are set. Though I don't expect it to get as bad as other parts

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#24 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post

Yeah, that. I don't think all the people in the grocery store the day before a storm are freaking out thinking they're in for the storm of the century, they might have just chosen the most convenient-sounding day that week to do their normal shopping.  

Like some other posters, I go to the grocery store at least 2-3 times a week, so I'm not sure it'd be possible (even for myself) to determine whether I was specifically stocking up for a storm or just picking up a couple of extra things since I was there anyway. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#25 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'll admit if I have the idea I might not WANT to get out in the next few days due to nasty weather, I'll be there buying Diet Coke.  No lectures on artificial sweetners and caffeine please.  I NEED my diet coke LOL.

#26 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 02:59 PM

I put off my grocery shopping this weekend, but since I had a dentist appointment yesterday and had to go out, I decided to bite the bullet and do my shopping after.  The store was swarmed, and I had no idea why until I asked the cashiers on my way. out.  I had not paid attention to the forecast, and was not aware that we had a storm in the forecast.

When I know there is a storm coming, and I know I don't have to go out for a few days, I will often hit the grocery story, the library and sometimes the video store the day before.  I love knowing that I can stay indoors where it is warm and eat yummy food and read.  Sure, I have a stocked pantry and won't DIE without milk or bread, but they are nice things to have.  We only buy milk if we have a need for it, but I can't imagine a snow day without cocoa!

#27 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

Around here, people blame the Blizzard of '78 for the grocery-store-frenzy before a storm. Old habits die hard. My DH's grandfather was one of those stranded at work during that storm. He eventually walked home but spent one night in a diner or something.

Oh yeah... that may have a lot to do with it -- I live in RI. My parents got stuck in that blizzard and ended up eating spaghetti at some random person's house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Yeah, that. I don't think all the people in the grocery store the day before a storm are freaking out thinking they're in for the storm of the century, they might have just chosen the most convenient-sounding day that week to do their normal shopping.  

Like some other posters, I go to the grocery store at least 2-3 times a week, so I'm not sure it'd be possible (even for myself) to determine whether I was specifically stocking up for a storm or just picking up a couple of extra things since I was there anyway. 

That's a really good point. I only go grocery shopping once every 2-4 weeks or so. Occasionally I'll stop by the store once or twice in between to pick up fresh produce or stuff for an upcoming holiday/event, but generally I'm not in there often so I kind of forgot that many people shop more frequently. It would make a lot of sense that some people just push that errand up a day or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkmom View Post

When I know there is a storm coming, and I know I don't have to go out for a few days, I will often hit the grocery story, the library and sometimes the video store the day before.  I love knowing that I can stay indoors where it is warm and eat yummy food and read.  Sure, I have a stocked pantry and won't DIE without milk or bread, but they are nice things to have.  We only buy milk if we have a need for it, but I can't imagine a snow day without cocoa!

Another good point. I don't eat milk or bread etc. but there are certain foods I'd definitely like to have in the house if I was going to be stuck in for a few days... Namely chocolate........... :)

#28 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 03:35 PM

yeahthat.gif

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#29 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 06:46 PM

I tend to stay far away from the grocery store before a snow storm.  

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#30 of 69 Old 01-11-2011, 07:11 PM

2 years ago we had a massive ice storm that left many MANY people without power for 12 days. Elderly couldn't get meds or electric for things like oxygen etc. We ended up having the national guard deliver bottled water because people had no electricity to run household pumps etc.

Around here I think people prepare for that even if it doesn't happen every time.

Personally I buy in bulk and we have cows, chickens, solar panels (which are somewhat useless in a snowstorm *during* the storm lol) backup generators etc so my "storm prep" is more about making sure all they animals are nice and cozy when the storm hits. We'll have milk and eggs and a huge freezer no matter what.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page