Weirded out by friend's dirty house - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#301 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 10:28 AM
 
midnightwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: midnight
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


I thought you were going to say yours were in the living living room--fits the central area requirement! I guess some people DO have bathrooms large enough for 2 or 3 laundry baskets. winky.gif. So easy to make assumptions, when one can fit 3 laundry baskets in a bathroom, eh?

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post

I agree with getting laundry baskets, I disagree with one each per kid for dirty. Get two (or three, depending on how you sort laundry). Put them in a central area (mine are in the bathroom). All dirty clothes go there. Whites/lights in one, darks in another, or however you divide your laundry. When full, you have a load already sorted. Way easier than collecting and sorting laundry as you go.
 



My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
midnightwriter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#302 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 10:30 AM
 
*clementine*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Rightkindofme-

I only have a second and I'm nak....sorry if this is fragmented.

That was the most interesting and insightful thing I think I've read so far on this issue. It's something I think about a lot.   A lot of things you said gave me clarity.

This is off the topic of housework, and I can't use the quote function, but what you said about people who are extremely poor not caring as much about what other people think of them because this isn't where they get their self esteem......

I have a friend who is by far the poorest person I've ever met, and his behavior sometimes amazes me. Dh and I have Long conversations trying to figure out why he's done such and such. I didn't get it until now. His value system isn't based on the same one mine is- he really doesn't care what other people think of him. I totally didn't get that until you pointed it out and it explains a lot.

Also, the part where you talk about being friends with people outside your social class- I have had tons of questions in my mind about how to deal with that situation in my own life. I've had some guilt about past friendships (like 16 years ago and they've resurfaced) and I'm not comfortable with being close to them. Even explaining that it's normal  and okay was helpful......anyway, long story short, thanks because you cleared up three areas in my life that I've been deeply thinking through.

You're smart. Come hang out with me and convince me to not clean my kitchen today.

(Oh wait......."ALWAYS clean the kitchen and the bathroom.")

*clementine* is offline  
#303 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 10:34 AM
 
rightkindofme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4,657
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post

Holy crap this thread has become like Frankenthread! I was out of town for a couple of days so forgive me, but I would like to clarify something from earlier on. Please also forgive me that I am not going to go all the way back and quote the people whose arguments I am referencing below.

There seems to be some misunderstanding about the nature of social class here. I had posted (and right kind of me spoke it better than I did) that standards of cleanliness are class-based. That really this whole thread is about perceived social class, and attempting to conform to a certain middle-class standard.
 


I didn't finish reading before I posted (I've been thinking about my response for days but I rarely have a chance to really seriously type so I took it!) and now I wish I had read first!  I could have saved myself so much effort!  Chamomile Girl, I think you are my new favorite person. <3

Chamomile Girl likes this.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

rightkindofme is offline  
#304 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 10:37 AM
 
*clementine*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Taking the situation about the unabashedly poor person who isn't operating inside the same value system, can you give me insight into what things said person might base their self esteem/self value on?

*clementine* is offline  
#305 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 10:51 AM
 
rightkindofme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4,657
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)

For the record, you just made my day. joy.gif  You acknowledged what I posted and didn't tell me off.  Yay! lol.gif

 

Well the first thing I think of is gamer-geek-boys.  Think early 20's.  They base their ego on their prowess at video games.  They can be unattractive, greasy, live in absolute filth... and yet they still have incredibly high opinions of themselves.  There's a class outside of middle class. Often these are guys who have little to no income of their own even though they are legally adults.  But there is often a weird entitlement for them because they have middle class parents.

 

For my aunt (my favorite example of this kind of thing) my aunt prides herself on taking care of people.  And she does.  She has been responsible for the rearing of at least 15 kids who aren't hers.  She takes in 'stray' adults.  She usually works full time and provides the income for an outrageous number of people.  And she's in her 70's.  (She's a sample lady at Costco.  That is the sole income to support her, her husband, her three kids (all in their 40s/50s and disabled to one degree or another) and occasionally other family members as well.  She is a Good Woman.  Her house is pretty disgusting.  People upthread have talked about how gross bathrooms can get... well... puke.gif  Only you don't want to kneel in front of their toilet.  She has a very high opinion of herself and it is well deserved!


My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

rightkindofme is offline  
#306 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 11:10 AM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 25,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post


On laundry baskets:  Good grief woman, StormBride, get thee to the store and buy some!  How else do you contain laundry?  You can't.  Put one in each person's closet for dirty clothes.  When full, wash and return.  They can put the clothes away.  Clothes in a basket look WAY neater than a pile.  And it works in other areas.  You can go through, pick up everything that doesn't belong in a room, dump it in a basket then sort and put away later.  Instant de-cluttering.  I have baskets and buckets and such all over the house for all that little stuff you don't know what to do with.  They are like the Martha Stewart version of the junk drawer.  LOL.


Dirty goes in the hampers. DH and I have one in our room, ds1 has one in his room, and dd1 and ds2 have one (in the bathroom - odd to me, but it works - it's tall and skinny, so it doesn't use up too much of our limited space, and their room is very, very cramped). Clean laundry gets put on the couch if dh does it, and on our bed if I do it. Then, it gets folded and put away.

 

I hate laundry baskets. I'm not sure why they're considered so wonderful. I have troubled getting them up and down our stairs (narrow turn at the bottom). A toddler is just as good at pulling clothes from a basket as off a pile on the couch/bed. And, I'm far more likely to just leave it if it's contained in a basket. I may cave eventually. DH would probably like them. I just find them to be bulky, ugly and not terribly useful.


Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#307 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 11:49 AM
 
*clementine*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Rightkind of me-

I'm happy to have made your day. In fact, I called my mom and read her your post. We had a good time discussing it and she too thinks you had very insightful points. (Go bounce around a bitenergy.gif.)

All that said, I still haven't cleaned my kitchen.:( I have however talked to my mom on the phone, taken care of babies and I spent a great deal of time jumping around the living room and singing "Oh Lord, pick a bale of cotton" and clapping my hands. (For the babies.)

At least I'm not singing Jimmy Crack Corn.FIREdevil.gif

*clementine* is offline  
#308 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 11:51 AM
 
DevaMajka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 10,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

StormBride- in case you missed it before, what about these laundry baskets?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post



 greensad.gif That's why your "I can do it, why can't you?" statements are kind of painful for me to read.
 

Yes. I'm not offended by anything you (Bebe's Mom) have said, but you are assuming that because x works in your situation, that if other people do the same thing, they will have good results, regardless of if their situation is different. People have kids with different personalities, different sized homes, different partners, different levels of cleaning abilities, different energy levels, and on and on.

I find it easy to take a shower because ds2 showers with me, and seems to enjoy the water spraying on his face. I'm fairly certain that what we "did" to make that work, wouldn't help most other moms who can't find the time to shower. lol.

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe's Mom View Post

 ALL babies are "high needs" IMO, I am not really sure what the definition of that is, anyway.

 I'm with the others in disagreeing with that one. Ds1 was a high needs baby. He *needed* to be in arms, no joke, 22-23 hours a day  (wouldn't sleep unless in my arms) until he could crawl, and it was slow to improve after that.

Ds2 was not a high needs baby, and isn't a high needs toddler, either. He just has a freakin' boatload of energy, and wants to go go go.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post

Probably going to get seriously flamed here but has anyone "unplugged" off MDC for a bit and used that time instead to do household type things?  I'm curious because today I've been on here way more than normal and feel like I've wasted a lot of time I should have done other things.  I know this is a community and an outlet for many moms but it can seriously eat up an enormous amount of time.

Yep. I made a concentrated effort to spend WAY less time on MDC a few months back. It didn't help as much as I thought it would, actually. The more time I spend sitting, the more time ds2 spends sitting playing close to me, and the less mess he makes. And getting off the computer doesn't make it any easier for me to look at a big mess and be able to jump right in and work on it. I still feel overwhelmed and "omg, where do I even start?"
 

I spend less time online still, and I feel busy all day, but the overall state of the house isn't any better (though it's not bad, and never was. Mostly toy clutter). I cook more homemade stuff that takes time. Because I cook more, I have to wash dishes 2 or 3 times a day, and that's an ordeal because ds2 likes to "help" which probably doubles the time it takes, plus he needs his clothes changed afterwards because he's soaked. lol. 


Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)
 

DevaMajka is offline  
#309 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 11:58 AM
 
applecider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stormbride - Yes, but when I put laundry away, I carry the basket with me from room to room. I think a toddler would have much less chance of taking stuff out of the basket when it's right next to you than taking stuff off of an unattended stack on the couch. And I second the poster who recommended the folding mesh bag. I have one and it rocks!
SuburbanHippie likes this.

                                       DS 7 ~ DS 3

applecider is offline  
#310 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 12:12 PM
 
Chamomile Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West of the Sierras East of the Sea
Posts: 2,781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applecider View Post

Stormbride - Yes, but when I put laundry away, I carry the basket with me from room to room. I think a toddler would have much less chance of taking stuff out of the basket when it's right next to you than taking stuff off of an unattended stack on the couch. And I second the poster who recommended the folding mesh bag. I have one and it rocks!

I agree with Storm Bride that laundry baskets suck. They take up too much space and they don't make the process any easier. Besides that the one laundry basket we have is DS's favorite toy...so whenever he finds it he dumps all the laundry out and conscripts it. Oy.

Re: showers...yeah I only get to shower when DH "lets" me. There is no way on god's green earth that earth I can do it with alone with DS since he is afraid of the shower (terrified really) and the sound of the water wakes him up (did I mention we had a small house?).

Apparently my post on class was much too dry for commentary (damn historians...) so thanks to Rightkindofme (again!) for putting it into readable prose.
Chamomile Girl is offline  
#311 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 12:20 PM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 25,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by *clementine* View Post

Rightkind of me-

I'm happy to have made your day. In fact, I called my mom and read her your post. We had a good time discussing it and she too thinks you had very insightful points. (Go bounce around a bitenergy.gif.)

All that said, I still haven't cleaned my kitchen.:( I have however talked to my mom on the phone, taken care of babies and I spent a great deal of time jumping around the living room and singing "Oh Lord, pick a bale of cotton" and clapping my hands. (For the babies.)

 


Whereas I spent the first 3-4 hours of my day doing not much except cleaning. Now, I'm exhausted, and the place looks no different. This is unusual circumstances, though. I was dealing with a little boy with a tummy bug, and have washed 3 loads of laundry, scrubbed half the bathroom (why, oh why, when he managed to throw up in the toilet the first time, did he then turn his head and get the bathmats, floor, shower mat, scrubbers (not sure what they're called - those scrunchy fabric ones that hand on a little rope for scrubbing yourself in the tub/shower), etc.? Blech. Days like this are just sooooo frustrating.

 

He seems fine now...


Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#312 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 12:20 PM
 
*clementine*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am DONE! And Freya's asleep!

praying.gif

*clementine* is offline  
#313 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 12:25 PM
 
rightkindofme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4,657
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post

Apparently my post on class was much too dry for commentary (damn historians...) so thanks to Rightkindofme (again!) for putting it into readable prose.


 

I loved it!  If you ever want to come talk nerdy stuff we aren't too far away.  I'm pretty sure you are in the northern peninsula and we are in Fremont. :D


My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

rightkindofme is offline  
#314 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 12:26 PM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 25,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by applecider View Post

Stormbride - Yes, but when I put laundry away, I carry the basket with me from room to room. I think a toddler would have much less chance of taking stuff out of the basket when it's right next to you than taking stuff off of an unattended stack on the couch. And I second the poster who recommended the folding mesh bag. I have one and it rocks!


Once my laundry is folded, it goes away right away, anyway (unless it's the kids, as dh is making a big point of having them do it themselves - I agree with him, but it's adding clutter right now, because they're...not very cooperative). I just carry the stacks around. It's while I'm folding that we have the issues, for the most part. Right now, I have a bunch of towels on the bed, waiting to be folded...and theyr'e fine, as long as I leave them there. Once I got up to fold them and put them away, dd2 will follow me, and then they'll be everywhere! I may wait for her nap this time. If I make what I'm thinking of making for dinner, it probably won't take her whole nap to prepare.


Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#315 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 12:27 PM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 25,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post

I agree with Storm Bride that laundry baskets suck. They take up too much space and they don't make the process any easier. Besides that the one laundry basket we have is DS's favorite toy...so whenever he finds it he dumps all the laundry out and conscripts it. Oy.

Re: showers...yeah I only get to shower when DH "lets" me. There is no way on god's green earth that earth I can do it with alone with DS since he is afraid of the shower (terrified really) and the sound of the water wakes him up (did I mention we had a small house?).

Apparently my post on class was much too dry for commentary (damn historians...) so thanks to Rightkindofme (again!) for putting it into readable prose.


I take baths, and I take them at bedtime, after everyone else is out for the count. Right now, that means they cut into my sleep (because dd2 goes to sleep later than dd1 and ds2, but they wake up earlier), but that won't last forever. Baths are "me time"....although I'm usually kind of drowsy. lol

 

 

ETA: I loved your post (and rightkindofme's post) - I just have nothing intelligent to say about it. :o


Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#316 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 12:29 PM
 
Agatha_Ann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hate laundry baskets too. I am so much more likely to not put the laundry away if it is in baskets. We do have laundry baskets in our house, one holds our outdoor balls, basketballs, soccer balls, kick balls, footballs. There is one in my laundry room that my dog thinks is his bed, and then there is one in my DH's closet that is actually used for laundry because his dirty clothes are super gross and I don't want them to touch the other clothes or the carpet.

 

 

I was also thinking the floorplan of your home has a lot to do with cleaning too. My downstairs is all fairly open (other than the daycare, but that's a whole different area) so wherever I want to clean, I can see or at least hear where the kids are all the time. My upstairs is much more closed. It is just a long hallway with bathrooms and bedrooms. If I want to clean up there. I either have to take kids with me or cross my fingers they are occupied with something else. My downstairs is consistently more tidy than the upstairs. If you have a really closed floorplan throughout your house I can imagine that would be a much harder task to clean than what I have.

Agatha_Ann is offline  
#317 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 12:57 PM
 
rightkindofme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4,657
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)

Storm Bride, I am going to say this to you with great compassion and minor smart-assery.  What you 'need' is to win the lottery.  Short of that you aren't really going to get through this stage of life without some noticeable compromise on some big issues like house cleaning.  And that's ok.  You are not a bad person.  Your house is (probably, I haven't actually seen it but I bet I'm right) not a health hazard.  It's good enough.  Do what you can do and then don't beat yourself up.  Really.  I hereby officially give you permission to stop feeling bad about yourself for cleaning being hard.  It is.

loraxc likes this.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

rightkindofme is offline  
#318 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 01:00 PM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 25,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post

Storm Bride, I am going to say this to you with great compassion and minor smart-assery.  What you 'need' is to win the lottery.  Short of that you aren't really going to get through this stage of life without some noticeable compromise on some big issues like house cleaning.  And that's ok.  You are not a bad person.  Your house is (probably, I haven't actually seen it but I bet I'm right) not a health hazard.  It's good enough.  Do what you can do and then don't beat yourself up.  Really.  I hereby officially give you permission to stop feeling bad about yourself for cleaning being hard.  It is.



Thank you. It is nice to at least hear someone else say it's hard.  I think that's what drives me the craziest. I don't feel as though it should be as hard as it is, yk?

 

I don't need to win a lottery. I just need time. Things have actually improved amazingly in the last couple of months. I can't even tell you what difference a few shelving units have made. And, I have a silly plan for my paperbacks. I'm getting rid of one or two a day - there's a donation box about 10-15 minutes away on foot. So, every day (except Tuesdays, because I have choir that night - might fit it in, anyway, but I'm not promising myself), I'm going to walk a book or two over to the box. Then, I just need to figure out what I want to do with the ones I keep.


Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#319 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 02:37 PM
 
Irishmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the bat cave with heartmama
Posts: 45,396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightwriter View Post


I thought you were going to say yours were in the living living room--fits the central area requirement! I guess some people DO have bathrooms large enough for 2 or 3 laundry baskets. winky.gif. So easy to make assumptions, when one can fit 3 laundry baskets in a bathroom, eh?

 

 

Quote:




Stuck in a corner, yes. There's no need to be snarky. You totally missed my point too, which was that if you (general you) have room for laundry baskets (or hampers, I'm using "basket" interchangeably) for each person to put their dirties into, it's easier to have the same amount of baskets that each person SORTS their laundry into. So 3 people, 3 laundry baskets all full of lights, whites, darks, or 3 people, 3 laundry baskets, one for lights, one for whites, one for darks. It's clear to me which would be more efficient and ease the workload.

If you don't have room in your bathroom, what about your laundry room? The upstairs hall? The master bedroom? There are plenty of places a basket/hamper can go, and they don't all have to be in the one spot, it's not rocket science.
Irishmommy is offline  
#320 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 03:08 PM
 
sapphire_chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 27,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post





Once my laundry is folded, it goes away right away, anyway (unless it's the kids, as dh is making a big point of having them do it themselves - I agree with him, but it's adding clutter right now, because they're...not very cooperative). I just carry the stacks around. It's while I'm folding that we have the issues, for the most part. Right now, I have a bunch of towels on the bed, waiting to be folded...and theyr'e fine, as long as I leave them there. Once I got up to fold them and put them away, dd2 will follow me, and then they'll be everywhere! I may wait for her nap this time. If I make what I'm thinking of making for dinner, it probably won't take her whole nap to prepare.

I stopped folding after dd was born . Dh irons, folds and puts his clothes away because it matters if his have wrinkles, but mine and dd's it really doesn't matter if they're a bit wrinkled. It also helps me keep our clothes to a reasonable level because they take up more drawer space unfolded.

 

I hated that I'd get things all folded during her nap only to have her wake up and take everything out before I could put it away. Or the cats would sleep in the folded clothes or I'd need the basket to take dirty clothes to the laundry room or....

 

Now I put clothes away while playing "hide and seek" with dd. Which at this point consists of her sitting on the bed with a blanket over her while I count and then immediately popping out "here I AM!" as soon as I wonder where she is.

sapphire_chan is offline  
#321 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 03:30 PM
 
phathui5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Oregon
Posts: 17,021
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

Don't all children deserve to have sweet smelling clean homes? Where they can find stuff. Where they can have friends over to play. Where they can grab their own healthy snack out of the fridge or cupboard.

 

 

 



YES!

 

Dh and I watch Hoarders sometimes, and I feel so bad for the kids on those shows.


Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
phathui5 is offline  
#322 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 03:31 PM
 
*bejeweled*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post

Probably going to get seriously flamed here but has anyone "unplugged" off MDC for a bit and used that time instead to do household type things?  I'm curious because today I've been on here way more than normal and feel like I've wasted a lot of time I should have done other things.  I know this is a community and an outlet for many moms but it can seriously eat up an enormous amount of time.



Thank you for addressing the elephant in the room in such a nice way.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
*bejeweled* is offline  
#323 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 03:39 PM
 
phathui5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Oregon
Posts: 17,021
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

"?....and 20-30 minutes around here means that a fraction of the clutter has been picked up...and will be back on the floors soon),"

 

Maybe decluttering? Having less stuff around means less to clean up.

 

"Heck I only have one kid but when I read "Toys stay in the LR" I was like ROTFLMAO.gif. I only sweep/mop the kitchen every now and then because finding the floor during the day is a chore.Heck I only have one kid but when I read "Toys stay in the LR" I was like ROTFLMAO.gif. I only sweep/mop the kitchen every now and then because finding the floor during the day is a chore. "

 

We have four children in a pretty small house. They are absolutely not allowed to have toys in the kitchen/dining room/my bedroom, bathroom because I don't want to be the one who ends up picking them up. Thus, all of those floors are clear. They are allowed to have toys in their rooms and occasionally in the living room.

*bejeweled* likes this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
phathui5 is offline  
#324 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 04:04 PM
 
D_McG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

We have four children in a pretty small house. They are absolutely not allowed to have toys in the kitchen/dining room/my bedroom, bathroom because I don't want to be the one who ends up picking them up. Thus, all of those floors are clear. They are allowed to have toys in their rooms and occasionally in the living room.

yes - no toys in my bedroom or the bathrooms here, either (besides bath toys, obviously).

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

D_McG is offline  
#325 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 04:17 PM
 
phathui5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Oregon
Posts: 17,021
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post

Probably going to get seriously flamed here but has anyone "unplugged" off MDC for a bit and used that time instead to do household type things?  I'm curious because today I've been on here way more than normal and feel like I've wasted a lot of time I should have done other things.  I know this is a community and an outlet for many moms but it can seriously eat up an enormous amount of time.


Lots. Actually, the Mindful Home management forum here has inspired a lot of cleaning and decluttering at our house.
 

 


Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
phathui5 is offline  
#326 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 05:01 PM
 
catinthehat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Engorged ticks on the floor, fleas, dog and cat urine and excrement on the floor several time s a day, never swept, never mopped, bathrooms never cleaned, tubs of "scraps" sitting by the sink rotting and smelling while waiting to be taken out, finding the ocassional tapeworm on the floor from the dog, etc.  That is filth.  I spent several years of my childhood in those circumstances.  Children shouldn't have to live like that.  I think we need to put things in perspective though and realize that there is a big difference between that, and clutter/a drop of blood on the toilet/poor vacuum job/etc.  

catinthehat is offline  
#327 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 05:41 PM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 25,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

For anybody responding to my posts:

 

Yes - I have a clutter problem.

 

Yes - we're currently in the middle of decluttering (and, yes - it's taking a long time - it's not something I can do in one shot over the weekend).

 

Yes - I've acknowledged that these are major factors in my inability to clean.

 

Yes - decluttering is extremely difficult for me. It's mostly decluttering, of one form or another, that has left me in tears on my bed after as little as 15 minutes. If it were easier for me to do it, I probably wouldn't need to do it, because the clutter wouldn't be here in the first place.

 

 

My kids are allowed to have toys in the living room and their room, and the bathrooms (bath toys upstairs, and a few different ones in the downstairs). There are toys in every room of the house. I'm not sure how to handle that one, except just throwing things out, and that's not something that I can handle, emotionally. So....that one's going to be an issue for a while.


Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#328 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 PM
 
Chamomile Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West of the Sierras East of the Sea
Posts: 2,781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *bejeweled* View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post

Probably going to get seriously flamed here but has anyone "unplugged" off MDC for a bit and used that time instead to do household type things?  I'm curious because today I've been on here way more than normal and feel like I've wasted a lot of time I should have done other things.  I know this is a community and an outlet for many moms but it can seriously eat up an enormous amount of time.



Thank you for addressing the elephant in the room in such a nice way.

At this point I actually think the elephant in the room is the class issue that nobody will engage. I suspect because its not as satisfying to criticize cultural differences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

"?....and 20-30 minutes around here means that a fraction of the clutter has been picked up...and will be back on the floors soon),"

 

Maybe decluttering? Having less stuff around means less to clean up.

 

"Heck I only have one kid but when I read "Toys stay in the LR" I was like ROTFLMAO.gif. I only sweep/mop the kitchen every now and then because finding the floor during the day is a chore.Heck I only have one kid but when I read "Toys stay in the LR" I was like ROTFLMAO.gif. I only sweep/mop the kitchen every now and then because finding the floor during the day is a chore. "

 

We have four children in a pretty small house. They are absolutely not allowed to have toys in the kitchen/dining room/my bedroom, bathroom because I don't want to be the one who ends up picking them up. Thus, all of those floors are clear. They are allowed to have toys in their rooms and occasionally in the living room.


That makes me sad. My kid is allowed to have toys wherever he is playing with them (except for my bedroom) because its his house too. Picking them up is a pain but why should that mean he can only play in his 9x10 ft room (where most of the space is taken by a double bed anyways)? That would never, ever fly here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightwriter View Post


I thought you were going to say yours were in the living living room--fits the central area requirement! I guess some people DO have bathrooms large enough for 2 or 3 laundry baskets. winky.gif. So easy to make assumptions, when one can fit 3 laundry baskets in a bathroom, eh?

 

 

Quote:




If you don't have room in your bathroom, what about your laundry room? The upstairs hall? The master bedroom? There are plenty of places a basket/hamper can go, and they don't all have to be in the one spot, it's not rocket science.

We don't have a laundry room, upstairs hall, master bedroom or spacious bathroom. In fact there is really not a good place for a single hamper anywhere in our tiny house. Right now its wedged into the hallway...doesn't fit there either. We are always having to step around it to get to the bathroom. I sort clothes for washing in the middle of the livingroom floor. Works fine...but it 'aint pretty.

I find that this is yet another example of "many assumptions being made" about other people's space.

Chamomile Girl is offline  
#329 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 08:02 PM
 
Chamomile Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West of the Sierras East of the Sea
Posts: 2,781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post




 

I loved it!  If you ever want to come talk nerdy stuff we aren't too far away.  I'm pretty sure you are in the northern peninsula and we are in Fremont. :D


We should totally hang out! I am in Santa Clara so we are pretty close. PM me!
Chamomile Girl is offline  
#330 of 582 Old 02-21-2011, 09:54 PM
 
sapphire_chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 27,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have toys all over the house because adults get to have their "toys" all over the house. Just like the adult possessions, the toys have their homes in each room. Unlike the adult possessions, we try to put away one toy before starting on another (okay, that's really the rule for adult stuff too, but a stack of books, e.g., doesn't interfere with reading more books, while a pile of blocks makes it hard to dress up as butterflies and dance around).  Toys in each room are limited to a volume that I can clean up in 15-20 minutes if they're all dumped out.

 

We don't have toys in the bedroom as such, except books to read (and the radio and the ability to play hide and seek =D ) because the bedroom is for sleeping and getting dressed and jumping on the bed, and toys get in the way of all those things.

The kitchen has tools for cooking, and toys for play cooking.

The bathroom has books for when dd wants to read on her potty, and bath toys.

sapphire_chan is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off