Does anyone else shop like this? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 28 Old 01-25-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Or am I just crazy?

I spent THREE HOURS shopping today -- for just a few small items. I cannot believe how long it takes me to shop.

For example, I needed to buy disposable cups for a party we're having. That alone took at least 15 minutes. I had to evaluate all the options. There weren't many choices (thank God) because I was at the Dollar Store... OK the large paper cups look nice... but there are only 8 in a pack, that will be expensive... What about these styrofoam cups? They are very cheap per cup. But styrofoam isn't good for the environment... but these say recycleable... I wonder if I can get everyone to separate their cups from the rest of their trash so we can recycle them? Will the town pick them up if I put them in the bin? Now that I think about it, this pack is way too big, we don't need that many cups. How many were in that pack of paper cups again? Hmmm maybe I should just use our own glass cups instead. Do we have enough cups for everyone? Maybe I should call DH & ask him to count our glasses... what if a glass breaks before the party & we don't have enough? And I don't know if the kids will be OK with glass... DS's metal cups are probably too small for most thirsty kids... I don't have time to wash all those cups... Maybe the styrofoam cups are best. But is styrofoam toxic to drink from? What will my friends think if I put out toxic cups? Maybe I can just let them choose between the toxic styrofoam cups and the glass ones in the cupboard. If I get the styrofoam cups, they'll work for tea too... but does anyone actually drink tea from a styrofoam cup? Hey why don't they have any cheap paper cups here? Maybe I should just come back another day... no, there's not time to come back, the party's next week & I still have a lot to do... OK I'll get these cups... Now how about plates?

It's exhausting & mind-numbing!!! Every. single. thing. I purchase gets evaluated like this. I have frequently left a store without buying anything. None of the options meet all my standards (cheap, environmentally-friendly, sturdy....) and I'm always trying to choose between several less-than-stellar options...

Please tell me I'm not the only one who loses hours wandering aisles...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 01-25-2011, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I know someone who shops like that. It drives me completely insane -- I can't shop with her. I'm an in-and-out kind of shopper, but she'll spend hours and hours going to various stores, comparing prices, researching other options, etc. for decisions I consider insignificant and so not worth my time (like disposable party cups redface.gif).

I once went shopping with her for a rocking chair (she bought us one when I was pregnant with my DS). We shopped from 10am to 3pm without it ever occurring to her to stop to let me rest and eat, and the trip ended with me sobbing and tired and hungry, and we didn't even ever get around to picking out a chair -- my DH and I went out the following weekend and picked one out in 15 minutes at the first store we went to. 

So, sorry, I can't relate directly, but other people like you definitely exist! orngtongue.gif

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#3 of 28 Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes, this is me exactly.  Thats why I don't like shopping for stuff that is "practical" because I almost always over-think the purchase and make the process harder than it should be.  If I'm short on time or if I have my kids with me and they're acting up, shopping is easier because I know I *have* to make a quick decision, and if it turns out to be the wrong one, I can always blame it on the kids.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#4 of 28 Old 01-25-2011, 08:12 PM

I think I"m the opposite b/c I just grab a bunch of stuff.  For instance, I went grocery shopping this morning and it took me all of 25 minutes to spend over $200.  I think I did pretty good for the amount of time spent, and was able to get enough stuff to plan out meals for the next week (or almost a week). 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 28 Old 01-25-2011, 08:30 PM

I don't usually spend that much time over very small purchases like that while I am at the store.

I do spend my time agonizing over makeup or hair care products at the store and then just get overwhelmed and buy something.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#6 of 28 Old 01-25-2011, 09:24 PM

I'm kinda like that.  If I'm buying something for the first time, like a new hair care product or a new detergent, I'll compare all the options - read ingredients, compare sizes/prices, etc.  But, I do it online & also read customer reviews, so that adds even more time.  It usually takes a long time for me to make a choice!  Once I find a new product, though, I don't usually change, b/c of all the work I put into it.

For something like disposable cups, I probably would've bought the least expensive/most for the money option.  But, yeah, I wouldn't have gotten styrofoam.  I probably would've stood there for awhile & maybe even left empty-handed!

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#7 of 28 Old 01-26-2011, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

oh yes. yes. yes!!!!

always. but its always teh first time ya know. next time since i have already gone thru teh thought process i can just grab.

the first time i went to buy a hamster with a friend she was shocked by the file of information i brought with me. i am a natural researcher. that's how i live my life. i cant help but do that. yeah it can be exhausting but i cant do it any other way. but because i knew exactly what i wanted and had questions to ask we were out in 15 mins. she couldnt believe anyone would spend time on a hamster. i have never grown up with a hamster so i felt naked going into the shop and just asking the salesmans opinions. 

i try to be a conscientous buyer watching what company i buy from and who gets my dollar. i am at a point where my options are very limited. if i dont want to support them then i just have to do without them. but i have noticed i insist on making the decision right then with the option i have right there. sometimes the exhaustion makes we want to come back another day too, but i am just not interested in going thru the thinking process from scratch all over again.

in fact that's the reason why sometimes i walk in and walk out because i am too exhausted to go thru the thinking process. 

journeymom likes this.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#8 of 28 Old 01-26-2011, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I like to research before I buy but I tend to do it online. Once I get to the shop I usually just want to get straight in and out, it's to bright and noisy in most shops for me to concentrate for long. I'd probably have counted our glasses several time before leaving though :lol

Your story reminds me of my brother, who shortly before Christmas rang up (from the shop) 3 households to speak to our parents and siblings asking their opinions on a photo frame he was buying as a gift for another sister. Erm, I'm not there, I can't see the frames, I don't know what colour said sisters walls are since she's recently moved, I can not offer input.

#9 of 28 Old 01-26-2011, 05:55 AM

I do that sometimes in stores. But my bigger problem is shoping online. We live in a rural area, so we buy a lot of things online that we can't get at the local store. I ALWAYS overthink purchases. Even when I'm ordering an everyday kind of thing I'll have to go read reviews at different places and compare shipping and consider how far it is being trucked from and what kind of packinging that vendor probably uses, etc. etc. For the $5 I might save from one place, I've spent hours exhasuting every purchasing option.

#10 of 28 Old 01-26-2011, 06:44 AM

I have to admit that I shop like this.  But I give myself kudos for at least doing it in private.  I don't allow anyone to come shopping with me, not even grocery shopping!  I am just so indecisive!!  Everything that I buy must have multiple purposes/uses, and perform them perfectly.  Take party cups for instance, they have to be not too big, recyclable, reusable, and able to perform another function other than what they were intended for (like some sort of kids craft I've been visualizing).  There have been times when I squeal to DH that I cannot wait for payday because there is XYZ that is perfect, just what I need, and I can't wait to buy it and OMG it's so great, only to run to the store and return empty handed because it cost too much or had some minor flaw.  I think the multiple uses thing is what really holds me up a lot.  DH will point to a corner of the living room and declare that we need a DVD tower that goes just there, and I'm like, but if we want to rearrange the living room, where else is that DVD tower going to go, can it fit anywhere else, or just that one corner because of windows/heating vents/etc?  Can it be used for CDs too?  So, DH knows that he will never have a DVD tower unless it fits my standards, which is to say that he knows his chances of ever getting one are very slim.

DD1 is identical to me and unfortunately, since she's 7, I have to accompany her on her shopping excursions.  It drives me absolutely crazy.  The one major difference between us is that I am perfectly willing to leave the store(s) with nothing if I can't make a decision, and DD must stay and agonize until she makes a decision, which can be hours.  She got a gift certificate for her birthday to a local bookstore and we were in there for sooooooooo long trying to spend $7.50 (she only wanted to spend exactly half of her gift certificate LOL).

journeymom likes this.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#11 of 28 Old 01-26-2011, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Oh yes... I actually avoid purchases online because there is just too much information/too many options and I would've spent hours deciding on (cups, for ex.) rather than 15mins. At least at the store there are a limited number of options, and I don't have to consider shipping...

I'm glad I'm not the only one like this, I felt like a lunatic yesterday (I don't shop often, even groceries we only buy once every 2-3 weeks).

Want to hear the kicker though? When it comes to really big purchase -- large furniture, cars, our house -- I will just buy the first reasonable option I see!! I've bought our last 2 cars without so much as opening the door of any other cars, and we only walked into one other house before we bought this one! I think in those instances I do so much research online and then when you get there the options are extremely limited unless you want to drive everywhere (there aren't 15 houses for sale on the same street, and if there were I think I'd be running fast from that street lol!) So it's a little ironic that I'd agonize over $1 cups...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#12 of 28 Old 01-26-2011, 06:49 AM

I say this in kindness and respect, but that would personally drive me nuts. I am the opposite. I know what I want to buy before I get to the store and speed shop. I just don't have the patience or time to linger over each item like that. 

autismribbon.gif

#13 of 28 Old 01-26-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IxIa View Post

I say this in kindness and respect, but that would personally drive me nuts. I am the opposite. I know what I want to buy before I get to the store and speed shop. I just don't have the patience or time to linger over each item like that. 

LOL trust me it drives ME nuts and I'm the one doing it!!!

#14 of 28 Old 01-26-2011, 09:33 AM

My son is like this.  Whatever he buys, he agonizes over.  He has never been able to just make a quick decision, he is always convinced that the best option of all is out there and he is just not seeing it.  From shoes to candy bars, he is paralyzed with indecision.  I wonder how he will ever buy a car or house?

Myself, I take a quick look at the options available at the store I am at, make my selection, and never think about it again.  My son and I almost never shop together.

#15 of 28 Old 01-26-2011, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

aaaaah this makes sense to me. i am like this. i do my research at home. i hate shopping. i am the go in and get what i want. i have already done the research and know exactly what i want. 

however if i have not done the research then yup its a long process. 

what has made it easier is i have become so mindful of what i buy - and the effects of my decision that my choices these days are limited. my new philosophy is 'if i cant afford it i wont buy it'. i wont settle for a cheaper version. (usually i do have the choice) which means i rarely eat meat these days. even rarer than before. 

Quote:

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#16 of 28 Old 01-26-2011, 10:10 AM

That is exactly how I shop.

Organic. Conventional. Fair Trade. Local. Grain fed. Pastured. Imported. Spray free and local vs. organic and imported. Child labour? Forced labour, prison labour? Unionized labour? Disposable vs. reusable. Second hand vs. new. Really better for the environment or greenwashing? Want or need?

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#17 of 28 Old 01-26-2011, 10:13 AM

Oh, I forgot about phtalates, parabens, sodium laurel sulphite, nitrates, nitrites, msg, partially hydrogenated oils, colouring, HFCS, refined grains and sugars, excess packaging and corporate affiliations.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#18 of 28 Old 01-26-2011, 11:07 AM

I hate shopping too. The less time I have to spend in a store, the better. Especially big box stores with their florescent lights and general chaos.

I also tend to be loyal to specific brands, so there's not much thought involved when choosing. If I'm not sure on something, I'll go home and read reviews and decide then.

The only time I might linger is when I'm clothes shopping, simply because finding clothes I like and that fit me well is no easy task. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

aaaaah this makes sense to me. i am like this. i do my research at home. i hate shopping. i am the go in and get what i want. i have already done the research and know exactly what i want. 

what has made it easier is i have become so mindful of what i buy - and the effects of my decision that my choices these days are limited. my new philosophy is 'if i cant afford it i wont buy it'. i wont settle for a cheaper version. (usually i do have the choice) which means i rarely eat meat these days. even rarer than before. 

Quote:

autismribbon.gif

#19 of 28 Old 01-26-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:

I hate shopping too. The less time I have to spend in a store, the better. Especially big box stores with their florescent lights and general chaos.

I also tend to be loyal to specific brands, so there's not much thought involved when choosing. If I'm not sure on something, I'll go home and read reviews and decide then.

The only time I might linger is when I'm clothes shopping, simply because finding clothes I like and that fit me well is no easy task. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

Quote:

This is me as well.  This is not to say, Crunchy Mommy, that I haven't been in your position before.  I have never shopped for sport, but in my pre-DD days, I could easily spend a whole Saturday looking for the 'perfect' item.  It took me a long time to fine-tune the way I shop now.  Actually, I shop almost exclusively on-line!  I have found various companies around the country where I can buy bulk items for less.  In fact, when I had a party for DD, I found a company that makes nothing but boxes and bags.  I got a bunch of recycled bags and boxes and will be using them for a few years.  Same with stuff like special napkins, etc.  I get a lot of anxiety attacks when I'm in stores, so now I just sit at my computer and do my shopping.  It works for me.  

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#20 of 28 Old 01-26-2011, 12:21 PM

I view time as money.

So, no, I don't shop like that. I'm also loyal to brands. So I'm in and out. Zip, Zip, Zip. I can also spend $100 in a few minutes at the grocery store and come out w/everything I need.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#21 of 28 Old 01-26-2011, 12:59 PM

lol, I can be very much like that.

Today I took a sewing machine around the store in a cart for about an hours tour. I met an older woman who was happy to see that sewing is not a lost art, I explained I was just thinking about it, she laughed and said she also takes items around a store and ponders the purchase of them.

I ended up putting it back. I will wait for it to go on sale, but if it doesn't well it will be the same price as it was today...

Decluttering 500/2010
#22 of 28 Old 01-26-2011, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkmom View Post

My son is like this.  Whatever he buys, he agonizes over.  He has never been able to just make a quick decision, he is always convinced that the best option of all is out there and he is just not seeing it.  From shoes to candy bars, he is paralyzed with indecision.  I wonder how he will ever buy a car or house?

I suffer from indecision (not to the same extent as the OP, though). But, it's honestly not much worse with big ticket items than with smaller ones. That makes no sense, even to me, but it's true.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#23 of 28 Old 01-27-2011, 08:15 AM

I'm a fairly decisive shopper. Sometimes I will research items before going to a store or shopping online (particularly if the item is for DS) but on the whole I am and in and out kinda gal. My mum is the opposite though but it's never bothered me to go shopping with her. 

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#24 of 28 Old 01-27-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut Chronicles View Post

I'm a fairly decisive shopper. Sometimes I will research items before going to a store or shopping online (particularly if the item is for DS) but on the whole I am and in and out kinda gal. My mum is the opposite though but it's never bothered me to go shopping with her. 

Coconut Chronicles, That's such a cute pic of your son. Adorable.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#25 of 28 Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 PM

I like to be in and out of a store especially food shopping or going to the toy store.

#26 of 28 Old 01-27-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bejeweled* View Post

Coconut Chronicles, That's such a cute pic of your son. Adorable.

Awww thank you so much mama! blowkiss.gif That was his Halloween outfit

#27 of 28 Old 01-27-2011, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Please tell me I'm not the only one who loses hours wandering aisles...

This is why we've been married for more than 18 years and still don't have the big dresser we need for our bedroom.  This is why, even though we've been in this home for 9 years, we still don't have enough lamps, or a coffee table or side tables to go with the sofa.

Plus I've got champagne taste and a beer budget. I love that saying.  I can't bring myself to buy that coffee table that we can actually afford. The one that's just right, that looks much nicer and will last longer anyway and would be a better use of our money... we can't afford it.  So I don't bother buying anything. 

It's a bit silly, really.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#28 of 28 Old 01-27-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Plus I've got champagne taste and a beer budget. I love that saying.  I can't bring myself to buy that coffee table that we can actually afford. The one that's just right, that looks much nicer and will last longer anyway and would be a better use of our money... we can't afford it.  So I don't bother buying anything. 

It's a bit silly, really.

Are you or your DH handy at all? If so, why don't you build the coffee table? We've built nightstands for our bedroom and two end tables for our living room. Nothing elaborate (we tend to prefer clean simple lines which is easier to build anyway) but way cheaper than buying from Restoration Hardware or Pottery Barn!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page