Little pet peeves! What are yours? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 176 Old 02-07-2011, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

Another one is the whole "supper" "dinner" dilemma. I've always called it dinner, but we move out here and no one knows what I'm talking about.

I hate the word "supper". Just hearing it makes my skin crawl. I, too, have always called it dinner.

#62 of 176 Old 02-07-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post

Oh and the One Uppers.  The ones who always feel the need to be just a bit better at everything.  If you have been to say Florida, her family owns a condo there.  If you went to Europe for a week, they went for two.

I am always concerned that this is me.
When does it stop being making/continuing conversation/finding common ground and become one-upping??

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#63 of 176 Old 02-07-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Pack sack! No, it's backpack ok.

When I see things for sale on craiglist that say they are something and when you click the ad it's not that at all or it's just translated very badly. Like the other day I saw a "sofa" now this to me means a couch that can sit 3 people or more. It was a chair though, an armchair. Or when they just seem to make up names for things that make no sense.
#64 of 176 Old 02-08-2011, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My peeves: When people say, "I haven't read the whole thread, but you asked what 2+2 is, and I see there are 58 replies, but just in case those people didn't know, the answer is 4."  ROFL

OK, so I deliberately haven't read the whole thread because I want to be a hypocrite plus I don't want to insult anyone in case I'm going to criticize someone.  lol.gif Yeah, I know, I can't have my cake and eat it too. One time there was a pet peeve thread, and I said that mine was people who are always complaining about parents who feed their kids sugar (because my kids eat sugar).  So like 3 posts above me, someone was complaining about people who feed their kids sugar, but I hadn't read that far.  She was very insulted.  So because I'm a hypocrite and have felt insulted by pet peeve threads before, I'll say that my pet peeve is when there is a pet peeve thread, and people get insulted or critical of my peeve and try and defend it, because a peeve isn't a big moral failing or societal problem, it's just those little things that bug you and that you probably won't say anything about because you know it's your problem.

And then, usually in pet peeve threads, someone picks something like grammar, like the OP, but someone else has no pet peeves, they just hate things like bigotry and homelessness and war, and they try and make you feel small minded for having issues with grammar.  So if anyone listed those serious things, sorry, that's my peeve--they aren't peeves, they are legitimate concerns!  

As far as grammar goes, my personal belief is that people's problems with grammar and word usage run a lot deeper than just people being critical for no reason.  I think it's along the lines of recognizing your tribe by speech and word patterns and feeling cut off from people when their grammar is significantly different from yours because they either are rejecting your shared culture, or they don't share it; or learning grammar rules and then feeling like people are trying to change them and will succeed because language is always changing, and then you'll be the one who is being left behind with archaic rules.

That said, I get so annoyed with the overuse of the word myself.  It's like people don't want to say me, and sometimes me is the right choice.  You give it to me, only I can give something to myself.  And then I get almost puzzled by some of the ways words have changed.  Now I grew up seeing the term run amok as amok and not amuck, but I think amuck is becoming common, I see it in books and magazines now occasionally.   I thought amok came from a specific language, but amuck can make sense, either as a more anglicized spelling, or because the term run amuck doesn't quite mean the same these days anymore anyway.  So that kind of thing make sense, but then other ones completely confuse me.  Like layed, payed and sayed instead of laid, paid and said.  I don't get peeved when I see these, but it is disconcerting and I start wondering things because it seems like a mistake that a very novice speller or reader would make.

BTW, I make no claims to correct spelling in this thread, and if you want to correct my spelling or grammar, by all means, have at it!  :D

So what actual peeves do I have: oh yeah, spitting on the ground is a good one!  No wait, that's too serious, people shouldn't spit their phlegm out on the ground, dadgummit.  And people should clean up their dog's poop.  Oh, but shopping carts, yeah, people looking around, seeing the shopping cart corral is 3 spaces down, so just shoving their cart in the front of their parking place.  Yes, I know there are good reasons not to return a cart, but carts in parking places annoy me.

Oh, and the constant use of auto tune in Glee.  I dislike that.

applecider and zebu like this.
#65 of 176 Old 02-08-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
  And then I get almost puzzled by some of the ways words have changed.  Now I grew up seeing the term run amok as amok and not amuck, but I think amuck is becoming common, I see it in books and magazines now occasionally.   I thought amok came from a specific language, but amuck can make sense, either as a more anglicized spelling, or because the term run amuck doesn't quite mean the same these days anymore anyway.  So that kind of thing make sense, but then other ones completely confuse me. 

How do you feel about people who say "The point is mute"? That confuses me, I assume they mean moot, but you know, 'mute' sort of has meaning in that context as well.

#66 of 176 Old 02-08-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola79 View Post

I hate the word "supper". Just hearing it makes my skin crawl. I, too, have always called it dinner.

We just moved to New England and on any given day a mother will be yelling to the kids outside "Suppah!!!"  So, we say "suppah" now because we're trying to fit in LOL.

Another pet peeve is retail stores selling merchandise way in advance of the seasons.  It's February and my daughter lost a glove and I am having a very hard time finding gloves.  Seriously, the stores are filled with swimsuits and flip-flops.  Dude, this is Maine!  It's not going to be warm for a loooooong time yet!

I understand craft stores being seasons ahead, because people who do handcrafts need more time to complete them, but clothing stores really should keep season-appropriate items in stock much longer.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#67 of 176 Old 02-08-2011, 07:23 AM

When my husband says something is "irreguardless" when trying to make a point.  Reguardless is plenty, you dont sound smarter throwing the IR in there.  your basically making it in regaurd now.  UGH!

When dirty dishes are left on both sides of the sink.  If you cant possibly figure out how to load the dishwasher, atleast have the curtosy of leaving one of sides clean. 

Farting.  I.CANT.STAND.IT!  I know we all do it, but WTF???  You can't even ATTMEPT to do it in private.  Just lift a leg and let er rip, eh?  NICE!

BettinaAuSucre likes this.
#68 of 176 Old 02-08-2011, 07:45 AM

I agree with the not picking up of dog poop!  Also, cigarette butt flicking.  Put it out and put it in the GARBAGE!  I've even seen people who apparently care about littering and the environment and they still throw their butts.  Why is that not littering?  Hmmm....I hate it when my DP leaves the shower curtain open after a shower.  It also bugs me when people leave the shades shut in the middle of the day.  Are you vampires in there?  If I'm not home, DP won't open the shades and it bugs me.  Oh, my niece can't stand it when I leave time on the microwave, like when I open the door before the time stops.  :)  I do it just to bug her.  She's 14.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#69 of 176 Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

To the PP who commented on the one uppers and is afraid she might be doing it.  (I am terrible at quotes and all that).  Its one thing if you are talking together and just enjoying conversation.  However, ,if you go out to lunch with a group of women and one says "I am so happy my husband surprised me with a trip to wherever he saved so long for this" and another woman says Oh my husband takes me there every yr for two weeks.  It kinda takes away the excitement from the first lady iykwim.  Thats just an example but you get the idea.  I'm sure thats not what you do.

#70 of 176 Old 02-08-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecider View Post

I agree with the not picking up of dog poop!  Also, cigarette butt flicking.  Put it out and put it in the GARBAGE!  I've even seen people who apparently care about littering and the environment and they still throw their butts.  Why is that not littering?  Hmmm....I hate it when my DP leaves the shower curtain open after a shower.  It also bugs me when people leave the shades shut in the middle of the day.  Are you vampires in there?  If I'm not home, DP won't open the shades and it bugs me.  Oh, my niece can't stand it when I leave time on the microwave, like when I open the door before the time stops.  smile.gif  I do it just to bug her.  She's 14.

Haha, I read "butt flicking" way too fast. That annoys me too though. orngtongue.gif

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#71 of 176 Old 02-08-2011, 04:55 PM

I just encountered my hated pet peeve.  People who leave advertising or religious matter under my car's windsheild wiper.  I really hate this because I don't like to just toss it on the ground (littering, unsightly, bad for the environment) but I absolutely don't want to bring that stuff home with me and there was no where to dump it.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#72 of 176 Old 02-08-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliaceae View Post

Haha, I read "butt flicking" way too fast. That annoys me too though. orngtongue.gif

Yes, that type of butt flicking would be irritating too!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#73 of 176 Old 02-08-2011, 05:47 PM

Going to have to agree with Facebook over shares and one uppers

I do happen to be a loud chewer but totally not on purpose! We have a small house and my husband says he can hear me chewing my cereal in the morning from the other side of the house- I swear it's because of the shape of my teeth or something! : P 

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#74 of 176 Old 02-08-2011, 08:23 PM

Spelling. I'm not talking about the errors that come when you're typing a message from your smart phone or an occasional error. I'm talking about the consistently wrong spelling of simple words - why can't people spell laundry (laundrey), hassle (hassel), incredible (increadible), etc., correctly? Let alone your/you're, they're/their, its/it's!

These are supposedly educated people. And while it's worse to see it in personal correspondence, it's even worse when I see it in emails at work, either from coworkers to customers, or in emails from customers. Just makes me shudder something awful!

Then my HUGE pet peeve is people who are incapable of being on time in any way. It's not just work. I know people who are repeatedly, consistently late for church by 60-70 minutes (for a 90 minute service). And these are people who live close and have no children (let alone small children). I once asked a guy in my old congregation why he was so late (the guy was a jerk anyway so I had no problem with being  so blunt with him) every Sunday. He was a teacher. I told him that if he was so late to work on such a regular basis as he was to church, his butt would be fired. He just stood there with his mouth wide open and didn't say a thing. Guess no one had ever called him out on his lateness before.

lady.gif
#75 of 176 Old 02-08-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe's Mom View Post

Rudeness for no reason, like people who stare at me when I obviously need help and don't do anything.

Oh, holy cr*p. Do NOT get me started on this one! I'm in the Chicago area. Last week we got nearly 21" of snow. 21 INCHES. I'm single. It took me an hour just to dig my car out after the complex had been plowed - my car wasn't plowed in, it's just that there was so much snow. I did 30 minutes, went inside for lunch, and back out for another 30 minutes to finish. During the first half - it was early afternoon - two guys, who had shovels and had just finished digging out their cars, watched me dig my car out. They're just standing there, leaning on their shovels, watching for a while. NO offer of help.

^&%^%&&@$*&!!

UAVs!

lady.gif
#76 of 176 Old 02-09-2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Another one is the whole "supper" "dinner" dilemma. I've always called it dinner, but we move out here and no one knows what I'm talking about.

Ah, but there is a proper general etiquette to calling it "supper".  If you've had your main meal mid-day (what is called lunch or dinner), then have a light meal in the evening, it's supper.  There is a proper place for that term.  My pet peeve is when it's misused.

Another pet peeve - when people type without capitalizing a single word or using punctuation its like they are above trying to write anything properly and its an inconvenience to make what theyre saying easy for others to read and then of course there are the run on sentences without periods that are also really annoying  winky.gif

"Irregardless" when they mean "regardless" and "could care less" when they mean "couldn't care less".  "Less" vs. "fewer".  One I've mentioned before... calling Cottage Pie "Shepherd's Pie".  Shepherds herd sheep, not cows.  If it has beef in it, the correct term is "Cottage Pie" (and yes, I realize this is folk etymology, but it's still an irrational pet peeve of mine).

People who use the "food allergy" excuse when really it's just being picky (they think it's better accepted??).  It makes it dangerous for people that have true food allergies because people take it less seriously when it really matters.  Or when they say it's a texture issue, but then they give their kids junk with the same exact texture (my niece does this... her youngest doesn't like anything "crunchy or loud" like celery or carrots or apples, but crunchy things like chips, pretzels, candy bars, cookies and sugary processed granola bars are O.K. eyesroll.gif)

Using "set" for "sit", as in "I will set down to eat breakfast."

My dad's wife puts a "k" at the end of every "mart" store and an "s" at the end of every other one.  Target is "Target's", Wal-Mart is "Wal-Mark", K-Mart is "K-Mark", Meijer is "Meijer's", Barnes & Noble is "Barnes & Noble's", Kroger is "Krogers" and Panera is "Panera's".  Ugh!  Not to mention that "lightning" is "lightLing" and "toilet" is "toRlet" and there are many, many more.

I agree with the overuse of "myself", too.  I think they just don't know when to use "me".  "My friend was talking with Sam and myself when she got a phone call.  Uh... wrong.  It's "Sam and me".

It's so funny that these quirks of others that shouldn't bother you, do for some odd reason.  Another pet peeve is hypocrisy, so, I would be remiss if I didn't admit to the fact that I sometimes commit my own pet peeves.  Isn't that ironic?  winky.gif

#77 of 176 Old 02-09-2011, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
My dad's wife puts a "k" at the end of every "mart" store and an "s" at the end of every other one.  Target is "Target's", Wal-Mart is "Wal-Mark", K-Mart is "K-Mark", Meijer is "Meijer's", Barnes & Noble is "Barnes & Noble's", Kroger is "Krogers" and Panera is "Panera's".  Ugh!  Not to mention that "lightning" is "lightLing" and "toilet" is "toRlet" and there are many, many more.

Definitely! DH puts an S on the end of everything. My boss has this weird habit of putting a T on the end of random words. The only one I can remember right now is cousinT but there are more. It's a very distinct, crisp T. I so do not get why it's there.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#78 of 176 Old 02-09-2011, 05:23 AM

Then and than.  I seriously don't understand why people get those words mixed up.  Is it a regional thing? 

#79 of 176 Old 02-09-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post

Then and than.  I seriously don't understand why people get those words mixed up.  Is it a regional thing? 

That's a good one!  I totally agree! I see that all the time and had forgotten about it.  I don't think it's regional, I think people don't know the difference.

#80 of 176 Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramama View Post

Quote:

We just moved to New England and on any given day a mother will be yelling to the kids outside "Suppah!!!"  So, we say "suppah" now because we're trying to fit in LOL.

Another pet peeve is retail stores selling merchandise way in advance of the seasons.  It's February and my daughter lost a glove and I am having a very hard time finding gloves.  Seriously, the stores are filled with swimsuits and flip-flops.  Dude, this is Maine!  It's not going to be warm for a loooooong time yet!

I understand craft stores being seasons ahead, because people who do handcrafts need more time to complete them, but clothing stores really should keep season-appropriate items in stock much longer.

I agree. It is not summer in February...nor is it time for "Back to School" coats right after the 4th of July.  I tried to find a swimming suit in August last year.....impossible.  I ended up ordering one online. I teach undergraduate writing classes, so if I let myself get irritated with "then vs. than" etc. I would have fits!  "lose" vs. "loose" sets my teeth on edge, though.

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

#81 of 176 Old 02-09-2011, 07:20 AM

I used to live in Central PA and some of the regional colloquialisms used to drive me nuts..Such as "that needs fixed/washed/done/finished/etc. Argh!

Also, my husband (who was born and raised there) puts 'then' at the end of every question, such as "Can I have that then?" That also makes me nuts.

Then there are the PA Dutch expressions such as "Red up the room", "Outen the light"...etc.

fly-by-nursing1.gifSAHM living on the beautiful Eastern Shore with my husband the car nut banghead.gif, and bebe Eleanor, born 9/16/09 luxlove.gif plus two kitties! cat.gif
#82 of 176 Old 02-09-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Ah, but there is a proper general etiquette to calling it "supper".  If you've had your main meal mid-day (what is called lunch or dinner), then have a light meal in the evening, it's supper.  There is a proper place for that term.  My pet peeve is when it's misused.

Using "set" for "sit", as in "I will set down to eat breakfast."

Still hate the word "supper". Where I live, lunch is lunch, dinner is dinner and there is no supper. lol

Good one about your dad's wife, though. Torlet! We say torlet all the time as a joke in my house. My grandpa used to say "earl" for "oil". Funny stuff!

#83 of 176 Old 02-09-2011, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Cupboards that don't close properly or when people don't close them all the way! I'm going to look at an apartment that I might rent tomorrow and I just noticed in the pictures that 2 of the kitchen cupboards are not closed all the way. I don't know if the current tenant just didn't close them or if they don't close properly. If they don't close all the way then they are coming off the hinges and will be stored while I enjoy nice open cupboards.

Another thing when apartment hunting via craigslist and other sites where they can post pictures. When you post a picture of the bathroom, please close the lid to the toilette or at least put the seat down! LOL
#84 of 176 Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamitaM View Post

Another thing when apartment hunting via craigslist and other sites where they can post pictures. When you post a picture of the bathroom, please close the lid to the toilette or at least put the seat down! LOL

No kidding! That is just gross.

I thought of another one, my DP says dumps like for going to the dump. Like, "I'm going to haul this trash to the dumps." I'm always like, "It's dump! There is no S!" Oh, my mom always says Italian with a long I at the beginning. We're like Mom, it's not Eye-taly. My inlaws also do lots of things that bug me, but I'm not even going to get started on that.eyesroll.gif

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#85 of 176 Old 02-09-2011, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

LOL Italian with the eye sound gets me too! I notice a lot of people around me using an S on words that they really don't need to. One woman told me "I don't like to wear make ups".
#86 of 176 Old 02-09-2011, 10:14 AM

Spelling and grammar are big ones for me.  It particularly grates my nerves when it's from the school or one of my homeschooling friends (via Facebook).  How can adults not understand the language they have been learning since birth?  We use it daily!

An ex-boyfriend used to say "cousint" instead of "cousin."  It drove me crazy.  I chalked it up to his learning disability though.  My DH uses "cupboardt" instead of "cupboard."  Apparently, I just attract men that like to add a T to the end of words.  Lucky me.

Any Rachael Ray speak like EVOO, sammie, yum-o, makes me want to plug my ears and scream. 

People that don't recycle.  It's 2011 already!  Get with the program!

People that post those cryptic Facebook statuses so everyone has to say "OMG, what happened?"  I started just sarcastically responding to people to irritate them.  A friend of mine posted yesterday "I can't believe this..." and my response was "Don't worry, they have a cream for that."  I just can't take those anymore.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#87 of 176 Old 02-09-2011, 12:17 PM

With the recycling...I hope you mamas are upset with people who have the same resources as you and do not recycle. Not everyone has the option. We don't greensad.gif

I agree with Supper being a regional thing. We have breakfast, dinner, and supper here.

#88 of 176 Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Any Rachael Ray speak like EVOO, sammie, yum-o, makes me want to plug my ears and scream. 

Yes!!! I hate that too. The words brekkie, delish, and etc make me stabby.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#89 of 176 Old 02-09-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I notice a lot of people around me using an S on words that they really don't need to. One woman told me "I don't like to wear make ups".

My ex always says "WalmartS" ugggh. I used to ask him if he was going to several different Walmart stores? If not why are you speaking in the plural? Grrr. Also, his family adds "the" to things. Like they are going to "the Walmarts". hopmad.gif

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#90 of 176 Old 02-09-2011, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Yeah on the recycling thing-the nearest place for recycling drop off (no pickups here) is 25 miles away.  when I used to work in that city I would drop off everything. Now the question is drive 50 miles to recycle or stay home?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page