Little pet peeves! What are yours? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 176 Old 02-12-2011, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

I'm guessing it's because it's a level of familiarity thing.  When I talk about my husband, I might use my in front of his name, or say my husband, Dan, or even Dan Smith if there are several Dans and I want to be clear.  I don't want to say Dan and just assume everyone knows I mean MY Dan.  When someone says, "Mom is in the hospital" it's kind of like Mom is her name and not acknowledging the fact that most of us use the name Mom to refer to our own mothers, so it at feels either overly familiar or kind of proprietary.  Although it's not something I've really noticed or that bothers me.  If I know the person well, it seems fine.

My church choir director always refers to her mom as Mom, and I know who she means now, but when I was new to the choir and she said that Mom was sick, I didn't actually know who she meant because I didn't know one of the women in her choir was her mother.  But I just am realizing now that she always says Mom to us like it's her mother's name, and it doesn't bother me, although I call her mom something else.  I wonder, though, if it's regional or if it's simpler because we all know her mother.  But then sometimes people whose moms I've never met do the same thing, so I don't kno. 

this - the first part.  And it's not a huge deal, but we are discussing pet peeves, so.

#122 of 176 Old 02-13-2011, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post

Quote:

When people refer to their own mother of father as just, "mom" or "dad" in conversation.  As in, "mom was in a car accident today".  Unless we are siblings, please say "my" mom when you are talking to me. 

Why is that an issue, it's their name. Pretend my dh's name is Dave. I don't say "my Dave" I say "Dave". If someone says Mom, and you are confused, well...

I'm not confused wink1.gif  I just find it presumptious.  I am not even sure if that is the word I am looking for.  But "Mom" is not what I would call your mom.  I would call your husband dave, though. So there is a difference. 

No, but that's what she calls her mother. Her name is Mom. You may call her something different. I call people by their first name, my kids say Mrs. lastname. It's not confusing to my kids when I say first name. And if you can't figure that when someone says "Mom" they mean their mom, not your mom, unless it's a sibling, then I don't know what to say.
#123 of 176 Old 02-13-2011, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:

No, but that's what she calls her mother. Her name is Mom. You may call her something different. I call people by their first name, my kids say Mrs. lastname. It's not confusing to my kids when I say first name. And if you can't figure that when someone says "Mom" they mean their mom, not your mom, unless it's a sibling, then I don't know what to say.

She just told you she's not confused, so why persist with the "if you can't figure" thing? It's a pet peeves thread. That's one of her pet peeves. Is that really such a problem? 

mbhf, SuburbanHippie and swede like this.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#124 of 176 Old 02-13-2011, 10:53 AM

I had to add more, because this REALLY annoys me..

People who interrupt me when I am talking or telling a story-for no good reason-especially when they are not the person I was talking to.. DRIVES ME INSANE....You couldn't wait two seconds til I was done??

Also, people who pretend to be stupid when they are not.

fly-by-nursing1.gifSAHM living on the beautiful Eastern Shore with my husband the car nut banghead.gif, and bebe Eleanor, born 9/16/09 luxlove.gif plus two kitties! cat.gif
#125 of 176 Old 02-13-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Quote:

She just told you she's not confused, so why persist with the "if you can't figure" thing? It's a pet peeves thread. That's one of her pet peeves. Is that really such a problem? 

Thank you :)  I am not confused.  It's just annoying.  Sue me. 

You know what is another pet peeve of mine, when someone posts on a pet peeves thread, and the gets jumped on for their pet peeve not being considered valid.  Or having someone insinuate that one is a dolt.

#126 of 176 Old 02-13-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Quote:

Thank you :)  I am not confused.  It's just annoying.  Sue me. 

You know what is another pet peeve of mine, when someone posts on a pet peeves thread, and the gets jumped on for their pet peeve not being considered valid.  Or having someone insinuate that one is a dolt.

Isn't that what pet peeves all about though?  A sort of intolerance about how other people do things or how they think.  I can't relate to a lot of the peeves here.  That's my pet peeve.  :)  No apologies.  It's a pet peeve thread.

swede likes this.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#127 of 176 Old 02-13-2011, 04:22 PM

I have the same pet peeve as Swede!  I've had it for years.  When people who work in early education (or whoever!) are talking about a certain child and refer to that child's parents as "mom" and "dad", rather than saying "his mom", etc.  As in "Well, apparently mom isn't home until 7:pm, so Gramma is the one who picks Timmy up after class, and Dad isn't available on weekdays."  

I'm not confused about who "mom", "gramma" or "dad" are, I just find it super annoying that the teacher inserts themselves that intimately into that child's life and assumes that they can leave out the word "his" when referring to that child's parent/s.  Really bothers me.  I guess it comes down to a matter of respect for me.  But, that sounds like it could turn into an entire debate thread of it's own!!  

(( Please keep my post as stating a pet peeve and agreeing with Swede that it's just a pet peeve!!  lol ))

swede likes this.

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#128 of 176 Old 02-13-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hykue View Post

Overuse of quotation marks.  This one really, truly makes me feel like the top of my head might blow off, although I'm not sure why it bothers me so much.  Especially when it's in a context that I can't imagine why someone would use them - like if I had said, "I must be more "cranky" today." 

You might like this:

http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/ smile.gif

Hoo!  Thanks . . . those made me cheery . . . in an annoyed old-grandmother, "what's this world coming to?" kind of a way.

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#129 of 176 Old 02-13-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number572 View Post

I have the same pet peeve as Swede!  I've had it for years.  When people who work in early education (or whoever!) are talking about a certain child and refer to that child's parents as "mom" and "dad", rather than saying "his mom", etc.  As in "Well, apparently mom isn't home until 7:pm, so Gramma is the one who picks Timmy up after class, and Dad isn't available on weekdays."  

I'm not confused about who "mom", "gramma" or "dad" are, I just find it super annoying that the teacher inserts themselves that intimately into that child's life and assumes that they can leave out the word "his" when referring to that child's parent/s.  Really bothers me.  I guess it comes down to a matter of respect for me.  But, that sounds like it could turn into an entire debate thread of it's own!!  

(( Please keep my post as stating a pet peeve and agreeing with Swede that it's just a pet peeve!!  lol ))

See, I totally agree with that! But that's now how I read Swede's pet peeve.
#130 of 176 Old 02-13-2011, 06:08 PM

I have another one - people who don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom. My roommate never washes his hands after he pees AND he always leaves the door open a crack when he's peeing. YUCK!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#131 of 176 Old 02-13-2011, 06:32 PM

The very Christian woman who works at the grocery store and always wants to talk to me about bringing my kids to her church.

People that complain about spelling and grammar errors on pet peeve threads.  They complain about someone else's idiocy and then inevitably turn around and spell something wrong.  When will you people ever learn?

Folding cold laundry.  If it has been sitting there long enough to get cold, I'll touch it up just so it's warm when I fold it.

When my husband (or anyone) opens a package and leaves the wrapping on the counter instead of putting it in the trash.  This drives me nuts.

On a similar note, when he finishes ice cream then fills up the carton with water in the sink instead of throwing it away.  WHY oh WHY do you do this?

Hairbugs in the bathroom.  When a person cleans the extra hair out of the brush then balls it up and leaves it there.  We have enough hair in this family that we have hair mammals.  And apparently I am the only person to them in the trash can.

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#132 of 176 Old 02-13-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajahkat View Post

When my husband (or anyone) opens a package and leaves the wrapping on the counter instead of putting it in the trash.  This drives me nuts.

My husband does that too!. Sometimes he will have walked past the trashcan in order to set it on the counter. What the heck? dizzy.gif

This thread has made me paranoid by the way. I had to research past vs passed before I could click submit shy.gif

applecider likes this.
#133 of 176 Old 02-14-2011, 09:45 AM

No!  Don't be paranoid!  The whole idea is that even though it bothers us, we know that's unreasonable!  That's why it's called a pet peeve, and not "something people should never do".  I mean, sure, it would make me happier if no-one ever committed the grammar errors I mentioned, but that would be MY problem.

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#134 of 176 Old 02-14-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post

I have another one - people who don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom. My roommate never washes his hands after he pees AND he always leaves the door open a crack when he's peeing. YUCK!

Gross! I was just talking with my friend about how gross it is when people use the bathroom and don't wash their hands afterward.

Another one I thought of is when you're on the phone with someone and they are having a conversation with somebody else. That drives me nuts. I don't mean a couple words, like a whole conversation....just get off the phone!

#135 of 176 Old 02-15-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweeetpea View Post

Mine is when people end a sentence with "...., okay?"  Especially when they are giving direction to a child.  It always seems to me that they are really asking the child's permission to be giving them that instruction.  Like - "Junior, clean up your room and brush your teeth, okay?"  It always seems to me that one day Junior is going to say back - "no it's not okay and what the *** are you going to do about it?"

I know for many people it is an unconscious speech mannerism, but it really undercuts any power their words might have. 

This is a pet peeve of mine, too... I do it all the time, and I cringe when I catch myself doing it.  I also find myself saying "Kid, could you do xyz chore?" when what I mean is "Kid, go do xyz chore."  The kids are constantly peeved at my habit of asking them to run and do something when I'm trying to tell them to do it now or quickly.  "Run upstairs and get dressed!"  "Do I have to run?"  Well, no, I just mean do it quickly.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#136 of 176 Old 02-15-2011, 10:51 AM

Everything that has been posted and everything that will be posted.  I have a LOT of pet peeves.

Okay, fine.  A few ones that are especially irksome to me right now:

• Misused apostrophes.  When you pluralize a word, it does NOT need an apostrophe. 

• "Should of/would of/could of".  I KNOW  "should've" sounds like "should of" but if you're writing it, it's should HAVE or should've.   

• Over exaggerating (I hate exaggerating as it is).  I HATE when people say "That's the funniest/weirdest/fastest/whateverest thing I've ever seen/smelled/saw/whatever"  If you say this, over and over, it makes you annoying AND a liar.  Also, when people say 110%.  There is no such thing.  I understand they're trying to say it was above and beyond but it's just trying too hard.  Saying someone is giving 100% most of the time isn't even true so just calm down on the over exaggerating.

• People randomly singing.  I don't care if you're Whitney Houston, if I'm in line at the grocery store, I don't want to hear you belting a song out.  It makes me so uncomfortable and it's just odd.

• Self-photos.  Narcissistic, much?

• When people don't turn off their headlights when in line (like a drive-through or whatever).

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#137 of 176 Old 02-15-2011, 12:12 PM

I thought of some more. I agree with the overuse of exclamation point. I have a facebook friend who uses multiple exclamation points after every sentence. It doesn't even have to be exciting. Example: "I went to the grocery store today!!!!!". And she follows every post with "Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Ugh. Annoying.

Barking dogs. They bother me more than anything. I am the one that either calls the police or cusses you out for your dog barking all night.

People who don't do what they say they're going to do. Like calling when they said they would or showing up when they said they would. Irritating.

"We submit to the majority because we have to. But we are not compelled to call our attitude of subjection a posture of respect."
Ambrose Bierce 
#138 of 176 Old 02-15-2011, 12:33 PM

Yeah, me too!  My mother would tell us to run and do xyz and it always kind of made me laugh and being the smarta$$ that I am, I would usually sprint off to do xyz.

Another pet peeve along those lines is my mother would often say she'd "let" us do xyz or we "can help her" do xyz chore.  As in, "I'll let you do the dishes now and then you can help me clean the bathrooms."  Worded as if it was a superfun treat to be able to do dishes and other chores.  YAY, mom, thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post

This is a pet peeve of mine, too... I do it all the time, and I cringe when I catch myself doing it.  I also find myself saying "Kid, could you do xyz chore?" when what I mean is "Kid, go do xyz chore."  The kids are constantly peeved at my habit of asking them to run and do something when I'm trying to tell them to do it now or quickly.  "Run upstairs and get dressed!"  "Do I have to run?"  Well, no, I just mean do it quickly.

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#139 of 176 Old 02-15-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixMommaToTwo View Post

I thought of some more. I agree with the overuse of exclamation point. I have a facebook friend who uses multiple exclamation points after every sentence. It doesn't even have to be exciting. Example: "I went to the grocery store today!!!!!". And she follows every post with "Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Ugh. Annoying.

That is annoying. I always want to comment thusly, "OMG!!!!1!!!!1!!!!11!!1!!LOL!!!!1!!!!1!!!!!!1!!!1!!!!!"

My friend was interviewing applicants at her company, and one woman submitted a cover letter in which every single sentence ended with an exclamation point. She even added one after her name that was typed under her signature, like this,

Dear Mrs. Jones!

Hello! I'm Jane Smith and I'm looking forward to the opportunity to work at your company! I have 6 years of experience in this field and am looking for a new challenge! I feel that my skill set would be an asset to your company because of x, y, and z! Thank you for your time and consideration, and I look forward to meeting with you in person!

Sincerely,

[signature]

Jane Smith!

#140 of 176 Old 02-15-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post

Everything that has been posted and everything that will be posted.  I have a LOT of pet peeves.

• People randomly singing.  I don't care if you're Whitney Houston, if I'm in line at the grocery store, I don't want to hear you belting a song out.  It makes me so uncomfortable and it's just odd.

I do this. :) Sorry.

fly-by-nursing1.gifSAHM living on the beautiful Eastern Shore with my husband the car nut banghead.gif, and bebe Eleanor, born 9/16/09 luxlove.gif plus two kitties! cat.gif
#141 of 176 Old 02-15-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:

• When people don't turn off their headlights when in line (like a drive-through or whatever).

Eek, I didn't even know you're supposed to do this. I prefer to be as visible as possible when I'm parked at night. Sorry... redface.gif

SuburbanHippie likes this.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#142 of 176 Old 02-15-2011, 01:19 PM

I have a lot, but I'll just mention a few:

*Sounds people make when eating or drinking.  Yuck!  My SIL always gulps when she drinks, drives me batty.

*Confusing I and me when talking about another person.  For example, Do you want to go to Paris with Michael and I?  People do this all the time, even people who should know the difference.

*Throwing dirty clothes next to the basket instead of in the basket.

*DH's dirty socks all over the house

*People on FB who are always asking for prayers for this and that or thanking God or Jesus for things, like getting a new job

*DH hits snooze 10 times in the morning before finally getting out of bed

*People who pump their gas then go inside to shop when there's a line for the pump

*People who let their babies cry in bucket seats and won't take them out (I can somewhat understand this if they are running in and out, but sometimes they let them cry for an entire function)

*People who don't research anything they do, they just trust the media, friends, doctors. . .and don't question anything

*Having to take off my shoes at the airport really bothers me

*People who say often, pronouncing the t.  I know the dictionary says this is correct, but it was not correct when I was a child and it makes me crazy

BettinaAuSucre likes this.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#143 of 176 Old 02-15-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:

• Self-photos.  Narcissistic, much?

What do you mean? I mean, I can see it being OTT if someone had a giant self-portrait hanging over the fireplace or something, but don't most people have photos of their families (including themselves with various family members) throughout their homes? 

#144 of 176 Old 02-15-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post

*Confusing I and me when talking about another person.  For example, Do you want to go to Paris with Michael and I?  People do this all the time, even people who should know the difference.

I think some people must truly believe that "me" isn't a real word, like "ain't." They just phase it entirely out of their vocabulary and use the more proper wink1.gif "I" in all cases. That's the only explanation I can come up with for it. 

#145 of 176 Old 02-15-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post

Eek, I didn't even know you're supposed to do this. I prefer to be as visible as possible when I'm parked at night. Sorry... redface.gif

I've never even seen anyone do this? Not being snarky, honestly ignorant...why should people turn them off?

#146 of 176 Old 02-15-2011, 01:26 PM

I thought of another one...people who bite their forks while eating! It hurts my teeth to hear theirs doing that cold.gif

#147 of 176 Old 02-15-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post

I've never even seen anyone do this? Not being snarky, honestly ignorant...why should people turn them off?

I've never seen anyone do it either, but I guess if your car was high up and your lights were shining right in the mirror of the person in front of you it'd be polite. I can't recall ever being bothered by the headlights of the person behind me in line at the drive-through, and if I were I'd just turn my mirror away, since I wouldn't be using it at the time anyway. 

My family lived in Japan for 4 years when I was little, and my mom says that people used to turn their headlights off at 4-way stops, just to be polite. I thought that was nice, but it's not the cultural norm where I live now, so I don't do it. In fact, if someone did it now I'd probably think they were trying to signal to me that my lights were off. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post
I thought of another one...people who bite their forks while eating! It hurts my teeth to hear theirs doing that cold.gif

My DH does that. I did it when I was a kid, but my grandma heard me and told me it was bad for my enamel and I never did it again. It drives me crazy to hear it now. 

#148 of 176 Old 02-15-2011, 01:38 PM

I'm in the Midwest, so I hear this a lot: when people say "hunnerd" instead of "hundred." There's a 'D' in the word, people! 

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#149 of 176 Old 02-15-2011, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has never even thought of turning off their headlights while waiting in a drive-through line.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone do this, and it never would have occurred to me that anyone else might expect me to do it.

#150 of 176 Old 02-15-2011, 02:07 PM

I have never heard of the headlight thing either.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page