Little pet peeves! What are yours? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2011, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd never thought of turning off the headlights in my car. But, in our truck, the only way to turn the headlights off at night is to put the parking brake on, turn the car off and then back on again. As soon as you take the parking brake off, the lights come back on. So, maybe some people can't turn them off!

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 03:54 PM

When people say something that basically obligates you to act concerned or wait interestedly/ask for more information when really you couldn't give a crap.

Streetlights that are timed such that you catch them all red.

When someone says they'll be over in 5 mins and they take an hour and then show up non apologetically.

Like a PP said, people who blindly trust doctors (or mainstream ideas) and follow like mindless sheep.

When dh leaves garbage in the sink, or anywhere for that matter. If YOU don't put in the garbage, you're assuming I will later. How hard is it, it's already IN your hand! And when you put used saran wrap in teh sink it gets all gross with water. You think I want to touch that?

When dh rips up a peice of paper into a million peices because he's bored or nervous.

The fork thing, except not biting, but sliding the fork out through your teeth, so it goes "ziiing!" Makes me cringe....

I'm sure there's more but DS is awake!

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Whistling. In any way, shape, or form. I guess it's because when I was a kid my dad used to whistle all the freaking time and always horribly off key. He still does but at least I don't have to be around to hear it. Once when I was at work (a tiny store in a mall) an older guy sat outside my store and whistled REALLY loudly for at least half an hour. There was no music in my store and I could hear him all the way in my back. I went to the door and glared at him several times but he just continued whistling, oblivious. I finally called mall security to have them ask him to stop because it seemed like a seriously disruptive attitude. He watched the guards come into my store and the three of us stand at the door staring at him as I told them how long he'd been whistling, all the while still whistling away. By the time they finally got him to stop and leave, it had been almost 40 minutes of constant. unrelenting. whistling. Seriously, who DOES that?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 02-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post

Everything that has been posted and everything that will be posted.  I have a LOT of pet peeves.

• People randomly singing.  I don't care if you're Whitney Houston, if I'm in line at the grocery store, I don't want to hear you belting a song out.  It makes me so uncomfortable and it's just odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe's Mom View Post

I do this. :) Sorry.

Me, too. I guess we're odd together. :) I am definitely not Whitney Houston, though...

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 02-15-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post

Whistling. In any way, shape, or form. I guess it's because when I was a kid my dad used to whistle all the freaking time and always horribly off key. He still does but at least I don't have to be around to hear it. Once when I was at work (a tiny store in a mall) an older guy sat outside my store and whistled REALLY loudly for at least half an hour. There was no music in my store and I could hear him all the way in my back. I went to the door and glared at him several times but he just continued whistling, oblivious. I finally called mall security to have them ask him to stop because it seemed like a seriously disruptive attitude. He watched the guards come into my store and the three of us stand at the door staring at him as I told them how long he'd been whistling, all the while still whistling away. By the time they finally got him to stop and leave, it had been almost 40 minutes of constant. unrelenting. whistling. Seriously, who DOES that?

I would have gone to the front of the store, looked him right in the eye, and started whistling too!  This kind of stuff drives me insane, but I think these are nervous habits that people don't realize they are doing.

When people make small repetitive noises, I make a lounder one until they stop!  (passive aggressive, I know!  But this stuff drives me bonkers.)

Once at the airport a guy was banging something on a metal handrail over and over.  I started tapping my ring against the bar a few feet away. It always makes me laugh, because it kind of "jolts" them to realize the obnoxious thing they are doing and then they stop.  Some people click a pen up and down ... so annoying!   So I just start doing it too ... sometimes faster and louder just to get my point across.  Their reactions always crack me up!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post  

• Over exaggerating (I hate exaggerating as it is).  I HATE when people say "That's the funniest/weirdest/fastest/whateverest thing I've ever seen/smelled/saw/whatever"  If you say this, over and over, it makes you annoying AND a liar.  Also, when people say 110%.  There is no such thing.  I understand they're trying to say it was above and beyond but it's just trying too hard.  Saying someone is giving 100% most of the time isn't even true so just calm down on the over exaggerating.

• People randomly singing.  I don't care if you're Whitney Houston, if I'm in line at the grocery store, I don't want to hear you belting a song out.  It makes me so uncomfortable and it's just odd.

• Self-photos.  Narcissistic, much?

• When people don't turn off their headlights when in line (like a drive-through or whatever).

ROFL, this reminds me of one--I hate when people use the word much after an adjective.  It just seems so harsh, plus I've seen it way too much on various message boards, so it has negative associations for me.  I do take self photos, because honestly, no one else is going to take a photo of me, and I like to document the ravages of time.  However, my mother accused me of being narcissistic when I was young, and I might be a little vain.  I have to take a bunch of photos to find a profile pic that looks halfway decent.

But the singing, yes, it always seems a little odd to me too.  I love to sing, I sing in choirs, I sing karaoke, I sing solos in concerts or church if I'm selected to sing a solo, but I generally try not to belt out a song in public.  I figure if you're listening to the singer, you want to hear the singer or you'd rather not hear any music at all, but whatever the situation, you don't want to be a captive audience for a random singer.  I don't want to subject people to my singing unless they want to hear it, or if it's a karaoke bar and you get what you get and you can leave.

On the subject of noises, I hate when my husband's throat gets filled with phlegm and he just keeps talking over it, straining to get his voice out.  I start clearing my throat loudly.  I really just want to get up and leave when this happens.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:59 PM

Bad grammer and spellyng n wen peopal don't no when to put a period or any sort of punktuwashun and they just keep righting there sentences n makeing them go on and on and on and you don't know wear one thought ends and anothur begins and its all one big jumble of thoughts and looks like they falled they're elementary skhool English classez I meen noone is perfact or ne-thing but enuff is enuff...

Internet acronyms. I'm not going to be popular for saying this but i don't like DH, DD, DS, etc. I get that you're in a hurry and it's faster to type "DH" than "my husband Bob" but I still don't like it. Sorry.

The way my basal thermometer takes for-freakin'-EVER if it's not positioned exactly right. It's supposed to take a minute until it has the final reading but if it's slightly off it'll just keep going and going.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

Old 02-16-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post

Bad grammer and spellyng n wen peopal don't no when to put a period or any sort of punktuwashun and they just keep righting there sentences n makeing them go on and on and on and you don't know wear one thought ends and anothur begins and its all one big jumble of thoughts and looks like they falled they're elementary skhool English classez I meen noone is perfact or ne-thing but enuff is enuff...

One of my Facebook friends writes every single post just like this. It makes me CRAZY! Sometimes I honestly can't figure out what it is she's trying to say. It's it's not like she's a teenager, she's 26!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 02-16-2011, 12:49 PM

OH!  I just thought of another one. 

You know how when your garbage looks full, but really it isn't, the really light stuff or oddly shaped items need to be pushed further down into the bin?  Well i cant STAND it when someone 1) doesnt bother to do that, and 2) just lays things like snotty kleenex and coffee grounds on the very top of the garbage can.  Especially in my house, I got two toddlers who are RIGHT at eye level of the garbage.  So yea, lets leave all sorts of germtastic crapola right in their curioisty eye-shots.  Seriously, next time you throw something out, use it as a guard and push ever so lightly down and all that nastiness will actually be IN the garbage can, rather then just resting ontop of it. 

Hey, is that a pet peeve or WHAT?  lol

Old 02-16-2011, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Charlie's~Angel~ View Post

OH!  I just thought of another one. 

You know how when your garbage looks full, but really it isn't, the really light stuff or oddly shaped items need to be pushed further down into the bin?  Well i cant STAND it when someone 1) doesnt bother to do that, and 2) just lays things like snotty kleenex and coffee grounds on the very top of the garbage can.  Especially in my house, I got two toddlers who are RIGHT at eye level of the garbage.  So yea, lets leave all sorts of germtastic crapola right in their curioisty eye-shots.  Seriously, next time you throw something out, use it as a guard and push ever so lightly down and all that nastiness will actually be IN the garbage can, rather then just resting ontop of it. 

Hey, is that a pet peeve or WHAT?  lol

I hear you on that one. Our garbage can has a lid, so the toddler-eye-level thing isn't an issue, but when people do what you describe the mess gets all over the underside of the lid -- yuck! 

My DH also has a habit of throwing away giant items (like tissue boxes) in the teeny tiny bathroom trash can, effectively filling it up entirely. And somehow it always seems to happen RIGHT after I empty the can. 

I thought of a new one this morning too. It drives me crazy when someone tries to be helpful, but then asks you for so much input that it would be easier and faster to just do it yourself. One of my family members did that a lot right after my DS was born. For example, she asked if I wanted a snack, and I said that some oatmeal with brown sugar would be great, and then she proceeded to ask me at least 15 questions pertaining to the cooking of the damned oatmeal. It comes from a good place -- she doesn't want to be presumptuous -- but it drives me crazy, and negates the whole feeling of being helped out! 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 02-16-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post

This is a pet peeve of mine, too... I do it all the time, and I cringe when I catch myself doing it.  I also find myself saying "Kid, could you do xyz chore?" when what I mean is "Kid, go do xyz chore."  The kids are constantly peeved at my habit of asking them to run and do something when I'm trying to tell them to do it now or quickly.  "Run upstairs and get dressed!"  "Do I have to run?"  Well, no, I just mean do it quickly.

Is it a habit from when they were toddlers? DD is more likely to go along with something and actually do it (e.g. getting dressed to do something FUN) if I tell her to "run and xyz"

I swear she's going to be 12, able to understand time, and I'll still be making things sound more urgent than they really are.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post

Eek, I didn't even know you're supposed to do this. I prefer to be as visible as possible when I'm parked at night. Sorry... redface.gif

FYI, if it's a Canadian car (or at least an Ontario car), the headlights are permanently on, we can't switch them off, sorry!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

I hear you on that one. Our garbage can has a lid, so the toddler-eye-level thing isn't an issue, but when people do what you describe the mess gets all over the underside of the lid -- yuck! 

My DH also has a habit of throwing away giant items (like tissue boxes) in the teeny tiny bathroom trash can, effectively filling it up entirely. And somehow it always seems to happen RIGHT after I empty the can. 

I thought of a new one this morning too. It drives me crazy when someone tries to be helpful, but then asks you for so much input that it would be easier and faster to just do it yourself. One of my family members did that a lot right after my DS was born. For example, she asked if I wanted a snack, and I said that some oatmeal with brown sugar would be great, and then she proceeded to ask me at least 15 questions pertaining to the cooking of the damned oatmeal. It comes from a good place -- she doesn't want to be presumptuous -- but it drives me crazy, and negates the whole feeling of being helped out! 

Our trash can has a lid on it too, the type that swings open, and my DH throws his dripping coffee filters and other such messes in without lifting the lid. So it not only leaves a giant mess on the outside of the lid, but it usually splatters on the floor in front of the trash can too. There are lots of things that can be in your hand when you push the lid open, but not when they are dripping and gross! I need a trash can that has a foot petal. That would teach him orngtongue.gif

Old 02-16-2011, 09:04 PM

People who keep me waiting whether by the phone or at a location and people who interrupt me when I'm talking.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

Old 02-17-2011, 06:08 AM

Yes!  ORRRR, how about when someone, like your boss if you work, asks you to do something, like a small project.  Shouldnt take you long.  So you do it.  Looks pretty good, you hand it in for edditing.  Your boss then proceeds to disect the entire thing, tell you how to do every little detail differently, and your sitting there going, WHY DIDNT YOU JUST DO IT YOURSELF?  In the time it just took you to tell ME how YOU want it done, YOU couldve had it DONE already.  Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Old 02-17-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeetpea View Post

Mine is when people end a sentence with "...., okay?"  Especially when they are giving direction to a child.  It always seems to me that they are really asking the child's permission to be giving them that instruction.  Like - "Junior, clean up your room and brush your teeth, okay?"  It always seems to me that one day Junior is going to say back - "no it's not okay and what the *** are you going to do about it?"

I know for many people it is an unconscious speech mannerism, but it really undercuts any power their words might have. 

I do this, but it isn't to ask my child's permission.  It's just easier to say "okay?" than "do you hear and understand me?"  They know what I mean, and if they ever replied like that, I guess I'd have bigger problems than ending my request with "okay".  lol.gif

Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 AM

This is also why I say OKAY to my kids.  Because right now they each have the attnetion span of a goldfish.  So while they might be listening when i begin my request, their attnetion gets diverted before its finsihed, and I have to make sure theyve heard me. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurturing Mama View Post

I do this, but it isn't to ask my child's permission.  It's just easier to say "okay?" than "do you hear and understand me?"  They know what I mean, and if they ever replied like that, I guess I'd have bigger problems than ending my request with "okay".  lol.gif

Old 02-19-2011, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

When people do that passive aggressive woo woo thing of saying, "I'm just being honest" before being super rude and nasty.  Being honest means communicating your issues, not attacking people and being nasty.  Festive!

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:41 AM

When people who live in town keep a long distance cell number and don't have a land line. I use a land line, so I have to pay a long distance charge to talk to a friend 4 miles down the road.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:31 AM

I HATE the new trend of alphabetizing titles of things like books by the word "the" and not the word that comes after it.  Who came up with that bright idea?  eyesroll.gif

reading.gif Wife to DH geek.gif  since 08/06. Mother to Eleanor Rose energy.gif, born 10/12/08.  h20homebirth.gif
Old 02-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopin' Mama View Post

When people who live in town keep a long distance cell number and don't have a land line. I use a land line, so I have to pay a long distance charge to talk to a friend 4 miles down the road.

I kinda of figure that's the price you pay for choosing to be a luddite. :) I don't want to change my phone number every time I move to a new place. I move often, and I have given my phone number to hundreds of people over the last 10 years or so, and it's on my business cards, and it would be really inconvenient to get a new one. I also don't want to pay $20 a month for a home phone I'll never use, just because a handful of people chose not to have cells or free long distance on their home phones or skype or any of the other options they could have...

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 02-20-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post

I kinda of figure that's the price you pay for choosing to be a luddite. :) I don't want to change my phone number every time I move to a new place. I move often, and I have given my phone number to hundreds of people over the last 10 years or so, and it's on my business cards, and it would be really inconvenient to get a new one. I also don't want to pay $20 a month for a home phone I'll never use, just because a handful of people chose not to have cells or free long distance on their home phones or skype or any of the other options they could have...

These reasons, I understand. But this isn't the case for the people I know.

Yeah, I'm a luddite. But if I can't afford a decent cell phone, then I sure as a heck can't afford to keep calling people long distance. So I don't "pay the price", I just make my plans via email.

Come to think of it, I think the whole cell phone thing is my pet peeve. I have friends who have held out, they don't have one. They do just fine :)

Old 02-23-2011, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I just came across another one. I hate when there are peanut butter smears inside the jam container. I love a PB&J sandwich as much as the next guy, but I hate when my morning toast tastes vaguely of PB. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 02-23-2011, 10:26 AM

I thought of another one too. When people post on a thread that it is "time for the thread to die". Unless you are a moderator, how is that your decision? If the thread no longer holds your interest stop reading it! I think it is even worse when someone posts a reply on the thread and then says now let it die. Ok, so now that YOU shared your opinion, no one else needs to? Plus, posting "it should die" bumps it back to the top!

Old 02-23-2011, 10:41 AM

biglaugh.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post

Plus, posting "it should die" bumps it back to the top!

Old 02-23-2011, 01:21 PM

Hmmmm, I'm not sure.  I think it's just a speech habit of mine.  I often tell them or dh that I'm just going to run and do something, like change into my pjs or find a book or whatever.  

After posting on this thread, I was hyper aware of asking "okay?" and I ended up asking "Do you understand?" or "Were you listening?" instead.  For about a day and a half.  Now I'm back to "okay?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

Is it a habit from when they were toddlers? DD is more likely to go along with something and actually do it (e.g. getting dressed to do something FUN) if I tell her to "run and xyz"

I swear she's going to be 12, able to understand time, and I'll still be making things sound more urgent than they really are.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

User Tag List