Little pet peeves! What are yours? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine are spelling mistakes! I'll admit that I am not a perfect speller at all, but it really annoys me to see so many really simple spelling mistakes on facebook. A friend of a friend commented on her status and spelled the word forgiven "foregiven" instead. So many other simple mistakes with spelling that drive me crazy. I don't know why people can't seem to spell anymore. Any else have this as their pet peeve?

What are your little pet peeves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 01:13 PM

Yep, spelling and grammar for sure - especially if it's something that comes from my kids' schools. I also HATE it when people call my phone and then say "who is this?" That really makes my head want to explode.

#3 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 01:22 PM

When male coworkers call me "sweetheart" or "honey".  I work harder than most of them and am in no way having any sort of ultra personal relation with any of them, so there is no reason (other than I'm a female and they are sexist!!) to be calling me terms of endearment.  Ick.  Sometimes I look them firm in the eye and say "good to meet you, you can call me *myfirstname*".  Other times I let it slide but it's ALWAYS annoying!

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#4 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 01:42 PM

People who yawn and cough without covering their mouth. It's so gross and I find it really discourteous. It really grates my nerves when people come home and call EVERY number that was on their caller id and say,"someone from this number called me like three hours ago."

When people assume how you parent your child is a reflection of how they parent their own kids when one thing has nothing to do with the other. Oh and no thank you after I've sent a gift.

#5 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

* hair on stuff. I like vacuuming lol.

* not recycling. Like really who doesn't get it at this point, kwim?

* when people say things they don't really mean. I know we all do it from time to time, but if you tell me very emphatically that you don't mind me doing XYZ thing, you don't get to be all pissy when I do XYZ thing. rolleyes.gif

* People stuff themselves overly/eating contest things. (Oddly enough I love the show "Man vs Food"... can't explain that one.)  Seriously watching people shove too much food in makes me stabby. There's a scene in Matilda that makes me cringe and when the parents turn into hogs in Spirited Away ...shudder. lol.gif

SuburbanHippie likes this.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#6 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When people don't close things. Which makes me a complete hypocrite because I've never closed a damn thing properly in my life.

I've got a million, I'm very picky smile.gif
MadiMamacita and gbailey like this.
#7 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post

* People stuff themselves overly/eating contest things. (Oddly enough I love the show "Man vs Food"... can't explain that one.)  Seriously watching people shove too much food in makes me stabby. There's a scene in Matilda that makes me cringe and when the parents turn into hogs in Spirited Away ...shudder. lol.gif

Oh!  I'm eating popcorn right now and had grabbed too many pieces and was  pushing them into my mouth just as I read this... lol, I was like "O NO, she can see me!!"   lol.gif

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#8 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 02:43 PM

Internet speak. Really, how hard is it to spell out "and". Apparently "nd" makes so much more sense. People who post way too personal things on facebook looking for attention. One of my "friends" posted about her urinary tract infection, another posted that she was at a sex shop, ewww...... Umm, typing LiKe ThIs. I've seen adults do it, not just trendy teenagers. People who stand right in front of you and refuse to move, even when you politely say "excuse me". People chewing with their mouths open. I hate it! I think I have about a billion more.

"We submit to the majority because we have to. But we are not compelled to call our attitude of subjection a posture of respect."
Ambrose Bierce 
#9 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 02:52 PM

I dislike text speak.  "How R U?", makes me cringe.

People who can't be bothered to put the new roll of toilet paper on the holder.  I work with 18 women and we have only one single stall bathroom, and at least three times a week I go in to the bathroom and there is a half used roll of TP sitting on the sink, while the holder has the old empty tube still on it.  Seriously?  How hard is it to put it on?  I imagine at least a dozen or so of them have passed through the bathroom and decide not to put that TP on the holder.  I always end up doing it.

People who wipe their hands on a paper towel and just throw them on the floor.  Someone has to clean up after you!

When a customer service rep/cashier is talking on their cell phone while waiting on you.  I don't like that at all, especially if it is a personal call they are on.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#10 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

OK now some of this sounds totally 1950's but:

The fact many men and boys today don't hold doors for women or allow women to go out in front of them or step back and let a woman pass when the woman is leaving, man entering.

Men who sit in the car and let their wives pump gas.(unless there is a valid one time reason).

Spitting on the ground.

People who have long conversations on their cell phones in restaurants.

People who talk very louldy to draw attention to their conversation, because they feel they are so interesting.

If I go out to dinner with you and you text the whole time, I won't go again.

People who honk behind you the second the light turns green.

Women who refuse to go in public without makeup.

Super low rise jeans on women, so when they bend or squat I see the top of your hinney.

Plumbers butt.

I could go on but I'm afraid you'll think me a bitch.  I'm really truely not.

#11 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post

OK now some of this sounds totally 1950's but:

The fact many men and boys today don't hold doors for women or allow women to go out in front of them or step back and let a woman pass when the woman is leaving, man entering.

Men who sit in the car and let their wives pump gas.(unless there is a valid one time reason).

Women who refuse to go in public without makeup.

Um... wha..?

I'll walk through a door if someone holds it for me, then hold the next door for him or her. As it's a courtesy to other persons, not an obligation to women. (I work somewhere with a bunch sets of doors so this happens every day. I hold, they hold, or vice versa.)

How about the exception of ... I'm an adult and can pump my own gas without any problems? It wouldn't occur to me to expect dh to do this as his  - what, manly obligation?

What if a person wishes to cover acne or uneven skin tone?

I don't think you're a bitch! smile.gif But I apparently do not share a pet peeve set with you. (I could draw a Venn diagram of our pet peeves and there would be no overlap!) orngtongue.gif

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#12 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 03:33 PM

I have outed myself as full of pet peeves on previous threads...

I have a friend who spells "no one" "noone". After several years of correcting it I have finally decided she will never spell it write, and "noone" can make her lol.gif
Purple*Lotus likes this.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#13 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 04:15 PM

oooh I have an ironic gross one!

I use DH's toothbrush all the time for various reasons, but if DH uses my toothbrush I think it's disgusting!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#14 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post

I have a friend who spells "no one" "noone". After several years of correcting it I have finally decided she will never spell it write, and "noone" can make her lol.gif

When I typed "coworker" in my post above, I had to think twice, then look it up.... kept looking like "cow orker" pushed together.  Apparently, its accepted spelled either way.  Still looks funny to me.  English is weird though... anyone, everyone, someone, no one... etc.  I know, double vowels and all of that... I see how people could mistake, I suppose.

And on the door holding thing... I confused a lot of well-intentioned latino men when I moved to my last city!!  They were seriously confused and some were deeply offended if I reached for the door myself or offered to hold a door for them.  I was equally confused by them taking offense!  To me it's an equal cordiality.  It took a few conversations with a couple of them to really understand how much they felt that a woman shouldn't have to open a door if a man is present.  For them it was disrespectful to not open a door for any woman, and for me it felt disrespectful if they didn't walk thru a door that I was holding for them.  Culture variances.

#15 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 05:42 PM

In so far as the pump gas thing-I guess because we are in the middle of a huge snowstorm and I saw a guy sitting in the passenger seat while his wife stood in the freezing snow pumping gas for them.

I have raised my boys to hold doors for women.  If they are going in a door its common courtesy to let the person coming out to go first.  Also if getting in a row of seats, at say church or theater, they should let women in the row first.

BUT thats just my pet peeve.  Not trying to start a debate.  The title was "Little pet peeves.  What are yours?"

#16 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:

You do realize it is spelled "right", not "write", right? Oh, the irony...

Obviously, spelling is a big pet peeve for me, I mean, seriously, Firefox has spellcheck built in, it TELLS you the word is spelled incorrectly. I guess most people don't care.

Rudeness for no reason, like people who stare at me when I obviously need help and don't do anything.

DH does LOTS of stuff that annoys me, but I figure I do the same to him, so we are even.

Peeing on the seat in public restrooms. OK, I hover too, but I put the seat up. At least wipe your pee off the seat. Gross!

People who drive like maniacs just to get one car ahead of me. Seriously, we are all annoyed that we are stuck in traffic...Like getting one car ahead is going to get you to your destination SOO much faster. Ugh! You should have left the house twenty minutes earlier.

I could go on and on and on...

ETA: one more-people who use words like 'conversate' and 'chillax', and say 'like' every other word..

Ok, one more really, and then I am done...People who RSVP to a party and then don't show up.

fly-by-nursing1.gifSAHM living on the beautiful Eastern Shore with my husband the car nut banghead.gif, and bebe Eleanor, born 9/16/09 luxlove.gif plus two kitties! cat.gif
#17 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 06:06 PM

When my DH asks the most obvious things

Example: we are leaving the mall and driving home tonight, and are in an exit only lane that goes BACK into the mall...and he read the sign, and asked if he should switch lanes. 

Doh! 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#18 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 07:12 PM

Hair left behind on the soap. Major yuck.

And, I can't eat breakfast cereal if it has gone soggy. 

#19 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe's Mom View Post

Quote:

You do realize it is spelled "right", not "write", right? Oh, the irony...

ROTFLMAO.gif
i could blame it on the toddler grabbing my hands as I was typing!
That is too funny. Homonym misuse is also on my naughty list lol.gif

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#20 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 07:46 PM

Spelling and grammar are some of my pet peeves. The misuse of their, there, and they're especially bother me. And when people WrItE LiKe ThIs on their facebook page. Ahhhh!

Humming. People humming just drives me insane.

Slow drivers. As in, the speed limit is 40, yet they're driving 25 and holding up traffic.

#21 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 07:51 PM

I live in an area where our economy is almost all ranching, so lots of conservative, traditional, cowboy-mannered men. It is very rare that I have to open a door. Men will get out of their cars to get the door if they see a woman heading towards one alone. Sometimes, I lose my DH when we go somewhere because after he opens the door for me, he continues to hold it for any other woman in sight. I enjoy being around these gentlemen tiphat.gif

Here's mine

People who slow down to 10 mph in front of me and then put on their turn signal.

Status updates on facebook that are vague, but attention seeking, "I can't believe this happened to me" Then they get 10 replies that say, "What happened??? Oh my gosh are you ok??!!"

When a person gets a little cold and takes to bed for a week.

They're There Their Your You're

Drawers and cupboards that are left open.

SuburbanHippie likes this.
#22 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 08:03 PM

The Negater.

You know, the friend who miraculously knows more about everything than you do. And wouldn't you know it? You are always wrong. How lucky you are to have a friend who can correct your misconceptions of the entire world.

Hmph.

L, student nurse and married to A, my union man. Happy parents to little S!   joy.gif

#23 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post

Status updates on facebook that are vague, but attention seeking, "I can't believe this happened to me" Then they get 10 replies that say, "What happened??? Oh my gosh are you ok??!!"

Oooh, that is a good one!

fly-by-nursing1.gifSAHM living on the beautiful Eastern Shore with my husband the car nut banghead.gif, and bebe Eleanor, born 9/16/09 luxlove.gif plus two kitties! cat.gif
#24 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 08:07 PM

Oh and the One Uppers.  The ones who always feel the need to be just a bit better at everything.  If you have been to say Florida, her family owns a condo there.  If you went to Europe for a week, they went for two.

#25 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 10:16 PM

People who risk an accident pulling in front of you and then poking along at 10 MPH

Women and girls who think that it is cute to act dumb.

People at the movies who talk through the previews, and people who come in after the theater is already dark and then stand in a giant clump trying to decide where to sit, all the while calling to each other across the theater and trying to force other people to move so they can sit together.

People who don't follow enkmom's arbitrary rules for which are the up and which are the down aisles at the grocery store.  I also hate it when my husband backtracks hither and yon looking for things he suddenly decides that he wants.

Having to empty the dishwasher every single day when I live with 2 and sometimes 3 other adults.

#26 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 10:41 PM

Text speak.
Also people using the words such as tweeted, delish, sammie, blingatude ect. Makes me cringe. And for what it's worth the damn auto correct kept changing delish to relish.
#27 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Dar

I make of typos and sometimes use the wrong word altogether when I'm tired (like I just typed "get" for "cat" and didn't notice for a long time) so I don't get so irked at that stuff on a message board...  but I do get annoyed at misspellings that just don't make sense, like "rediculous" or "persay'. 

I am also currently annoyed because garbage day was Monday and the woman who lives in the other half of my duplex has yet to bring in her garbage can, but someone brought it up from the street and put it in front of my side. In the past I've sometimes just put it away for her, but she does this all the time. 

People who park over the lines bug me a lot, perhaps an unreasonable amount. I can admit that.

Oh, and dog poop bugs me a lot. Also dogs that jump on me. Honestly, I like dogs a lot and I've owned a few, but I trained them not to jump and I picked up after them.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#28 of 176 Old 02-05-2011, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#29 of 176 Old 02-06-2011, 12:16 AM

mean people.

spelling errors are really no big deal to me. 

mean and arrogant people?  they really bother me. 

#30 of 176 Old 02-06-2011, 01:19 AM

People who act like their child is doing something dirty by growing up....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page