Shoes on versus Shoes Off--Where do you stand and why - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Shoes on or off
Take your shoes off! All those germs and dirt you are tracking in--gross! 53 48.18%
Leave your shoes on! I don't want to see or smell your feet! And I don't want foot funguses and stuff spread in my house! 3 2.73%
Whatever is most comfortable to you/depends on weather/other circumstances/how filthy the shoes are. 54 49.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 80 Old 11-23-2011, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Just wondering what folks do about indoor/outdoor dogs? We have a doggy door and a long haired dog and a short haired one, too. They both bring in leaves, etc, but they really stick to the long-haired one's feathers. As I said up thread (a long time ago) we're sort of an either/or house here, but I don't see how it would make our floors cleaner to be strict about it as long as we've got the dogs dragging stuff in.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#62 of 80 Old 11-23-2011, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I must have missed this thread the first time around. I know I've posted in similar threads, but I didn't in this one. 

Shoes off is the general preference here, but it gets ignored a lot. The 18 y.o. was walking around in his outside footwear earlier today and I made a comment. He informed me that he was heading out again soon, so didn't bother to take them off. This was while he was making his lunch, so "soon" was more like an hour or so. I told him it was time to trade in his 12-hole Doc Martens for loafers. He just rolled his eyes. 

Our dog is supposed to get his paws wiped with a towel when he comes inside, especially if he's been digging in the dirt or it's wet/snowy/muddy outside. I keep baby wipes and a towel at the door for him. 

I don't ask guests to remove their shoes. Most do. 

#63 of 80 Old 11-23-2011, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Our dogs are in and out too much to wipe their feet each time, especially if they're letting themselves in and out via the doggy door. We do have a big mat there at the backdoor, but our yard is woods, so it's completely covered in leaves — no grass at all. Not sure it would make any difference to be strictly shoes off in our house. Our floor is going to get trashed anyway.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#64 of 80 Old 11-23-2011, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hmm.  Nothing is set in stone for us, just a general thing we do.  We all take our shoes off in the hall before we enter.  We never told the kids to do this, they just model after us.  And they hate wearing shoes, so it comes naturally to them, lol.

We also have carpet in all but the kitchen and bathroom (and enclosed porch) now, and walking on carpet with shoes on has always felt icky to me.  Nails on a chalkboard feeling for me, haha.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#65 of 80 Old 11-24-2011, 01:56 PM

When we had a dog we wiped his feet before letting him in the house.  When he was older we actually had "shoes" we put on him in the house because he had trouble sliding on our hardwood floors and they gave him some grip.

I guess coming from a "shoes off" culture where no one ever wears shoes in the house I am truly curious as to why people choose to leave shoes on? (other than feet getting cold, here people just wear slippers).

I guess shoes-on people must wonder the same thing!  My shoes off reasons (other than cultural): I would hate the dirt I'd get with shoes on and it's better for your feet and (for me) more comfortable to have shoes off.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#66 of 80 Old 11-25-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstewart View Post

I guess coming from a "shoes off" culture where no one ever wears shoes in the house I am truly curious as to why people choose to leave shoes on? (other than feet getting cold, here people just wear slippers).

I think the biggest reason is it's more convenient, especially if you're often running in & out of the house. I still think it's a pain to take shoes off so often... and if I forget something in the house I'm always torn between taking my shoes off when I run back in vs. just getting what I need & not worrying about shoes. It's just one extra thing to think about or deal with in an already-hectic world.

Plus, for people with foot-odor issues, it's less embarrassing, the shoe contains the smell (or at least that's what they think! wink1.gif) Also, if some people keep shoes on, then pretty much everyone has to, because there may be lots of dirt or rainwater etc. on the floors so why would you want to be barefoot? Like a pp, we used to have a dog, and it made no sense for us to take shoes off back then because the dog inevitably tracked in so much... he was a tiny dog so even his belly fur trapped leaves & dirt, he would have needed a whole bath every time he came in the house if we wanted to keep the floors barefoot-friendly!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#67 of 80 Old 11-25-2011, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstewart View Post

For me, my poor flat feet and ankles just get too sore.  We've got acres of tile and wood floor in this house and if I'm barefooted for long I get plantar fasciitis pain.  So that means I wear lace-up athletic shoes. 

I suppose I could reserve a pair of lace-ups for indoor use, but like the previous poster said, that's a serious hassle.  I really can't imagine untying and tying shoes several times a day.  So I guess I'm lazy. 

Besides, for this particular house it's just too late. lol.gif  Between the two dogs and my housekeeping it really doesn't matter much if we track a little dirt in the house.  Maybe I'll implement a no-shoes policy when we move. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#68 of 80 Old 11-26-2011, 05:39 PM

For me its always shoes off. In New Zealand you always take your shoes off before going into a house. Many New Zealand women and children spend alot of their time barefoot, both inside and outside the house,no stupid restrictions on shopping barefoot here, so we barefooters are far more common than elsewhere. I will always walk to the park in barefeet when taking my children to play or if walking to the shops, restaurants etc. McDonalds is just around the corner and always go there barefoot along with my children - wearing shoes is just an unecessary hassle when life should be uncomplicated.

#69 of 80 Old 11-26-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solemum View Postwearing shoes is just an unecessary hassle when life should be uncomplicated.

yeahthat.gif

You live in an ideal area, as far as bare feet go.

#70 of 80 Old 11-27-2011, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

its one of the reasons i loved whale rider the movie. i loved how the main character walked every where barefoot and even performed barefoot and i think her gpa was barefoot too. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solemum View Post

For me its always shoes off. In New Zealand you always take your shoes off before going into a house. Many New Zealand women and children spend alot of their time barefoot, both inside and outside the house,no stupid restrictions on shopping barefoot here, so we barefooters are far more common than elsewhere. I will always walk to the park in barefeet when taking my children to play or if walking to the shops, restaurants etc. McDonalds is just around the corner and always go there barefoot along with my children - wearing shoes is just an unecessary hassle when life should be uncomplicated.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#71 of 80 Old 11-27-2011, 12:42 PM

I think feet are so gross.  I wear socks to bed, even when I was single and slept alone.

Feet are chock-full of bacteria (which is, I believe, what causes foot odor) and can transmit all kinds of yuck--athlete's foot and plantar warts are two very contagious examples.

When I go to someone else's house, I take off my shoes but leave on my socks.  If it's summer and I'm wearing sandals, I stick a pair of socks in my backpack or whatever.  And, yes, I know this qualifies me as a wacko.

The toddler/mama group I go to has an "adults socks, kids can be barefoot policy," for which I am grateful.  They do this for hygiene reasons that I think are very valid.

DH is always barefoot in the house and it drives me a little bananas.  It drives him equally nuts that I sleep with socks.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#72 of 80 Old 11-27-2011, 06:15 PM

Sorry to disagree with you, but it is actually the socks and shoes that carry the odour. Barefeet theselves do not carry any smell at all. I think the important thing is that you do what ever you feel comfortable with, for me its barefeet all the time. Thats what annoys me about people telling I should have shoes on when out shopping etc., I dont tell them they should be barefoot. I would encourage them try it and , if they enjoy it, well thats great, but I do not appreciate being told what to wear, or what my children should wear.

Yes, Whale Rider was a great movie, and showed rural Maori people very well. Of course most of us live in cities now, but still maintain a barefoot lifestyle without hassle. New Zealand is by and large a safe country, very laid back, hence I guess the complete to be barefoot. For example, while we live in the suburbs, I have no problem going out during the day, shopping or whatever, and leaving my front door and my windows wide open without any problem, and Im certainly very comfortable letting my two children play anywhere outside and on my neighbours property etc.

I am intrigued by this indoor/outdoor distinction in wearing shoes or being barefoot. For me and many New Zealand women that is meaningless, We choose the barefoot option all the time as that is completely comfortable for us, and we are not paranoid about being barefoot or try to analyse it, we just enjoy it!  

A_Random_Phrase likes this.
#73 of 80 Old 11-27-2011, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solemum View Post

I am intrigued by this indoor/outdoor distinction in wearing shoes or being barefoot. For me and many New Zealand women that is meaningless, We choose the barefoot option all the time as that is completely comfortable for us, and we are not paranoid about being barefoot or try to analyse it, we just enjoy it!  

i grew up in a tropical urban country in asia where you could walk through a lot of non-natural dirt that stick to your shoes and feet. no way would i go out barefoot in that kind of environment. that's why i guess one has an indoor and outdoor policy. 

however even when we went out barefoot we have the indoor outdoor foot policy. wash your feet after you get home. where i am - in an urban setting in the US where part of the walk is on dirt - after we come back from our walk - esp. in summer our feet are black. sometimes our feet are black indoors and that's a cue for me to mop the floor. 

for me washing your feet before you go to bed is the same as washing your hands before you eat. its not so much about germs as much as dirty foot prints on my clean light sheets. however i am also that person who likes to shower before getting into bed when i feel gross. i cant get into bed when i feel yucky. 

plus its a nice little tradition to unwind and change gears. something about feet and lotion/creme that changes the dynamic of where you are in your head. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#74 of 80 Old 11-28-2011, 10:14 AM

I don't really care if people wear shoes, go barefoot, wear slippers or socks in my house. I would prefer people to be comfortable... except I don't want shoes on my furniture.

I'm wearing shoes inside today. I'm running down to the basement often today to do laundry and our basement is not somewhere I want to be in bare feet or just socks. The floor tends to be colder, dirtier and wetter than the rest of the house. I can't stand having my feet get wet or having things stick to them.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#75 of 80 Old 11-28-2011, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I'd prefer no shoes in my house.  I have dogs and I have to keep after them often.  The girls hate to wear shoes but DH wears them all the time.  He tore his Achilles a few years ago and it never healed right so for him he needs the support it helps quell the pain.  I just hate shoes but I have ugly feet!

#76 of 80 Old 11-28-2011, 11:23 AM

The thread title is a bit off - there are 3 options actually:

1) street shoes in the house;

2) indoor shoes (slipper mukluks, flip-flops, sauna sandals, orthotics);

3) barefoot in the house (obviously hard to do in Northern Quebec)

#77 of 80 Old 11-28-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post
Feet are chock-full of bacteria (which is, I believe, what causes foot odor)

I have noticed 100% that those who have foot odor wear shoes. And I've never seen anyone who goes barefoot or wears sandals w/out socks who has athlete's foot. AF needs moisture and feet without shoes and socks just can't hold in moisture very well.

That being said, I have no problems with your aversion to bare feet. If you don't like them, you have that right. (Totally serious, here.)

#78 of 80 Old 11-28-2011, 06:02 PM

The Asian view is quite interesting. We have an Asian family moved in next door to us, they have two boys the same age as our two, so we have good contact with each other. The first time we went over to meet them we were barefoot, and the woman offered us some flimsy silk slippers to wear inside. I felt awkward, as I didnt want to offend them, but I do really prefer being barefoot. We politly said we were happy in barefeet and then went inside, no problem at all. My feet were quite dirty as I had been to the shopping mall for most of the day, but there didnt seem to be any problems.

Niw when I go over there is no sign of the slippers and the whole family is barefoot, I reckon they have become true Kiwi's! They love the New Zealand lifestyle and the children play barefoot all the time, even crawling over furniture in barefeet. 

The mother and her youngest son have been for walks with me and my youngest in barefeet, which has helped toughen her feet up a little bit - I guess this quite unusual for an Asian woman, but they are genuinely trying to become real Kiwi's!

#79 of 80 Old 11-29-2011, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Just a small tangent here, New Zealand sounds like such a pleasant place to live!  We're going to get there someday.  For decades I've wanted to go, ever since my cousin brought back photos of his hiking trip all through the south island.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#80 of 80 Old 11-29-2011, 11:52 PM

Yes New Zealand is a lovely country, obviously the scenery is great,especially the South Island - we are quite isolated though, which perhaps makes us more self reliant, and less willing to be 'bullied' around by larger nations (eg we took America on and refused to let nuclear war ships into our ports because we wanted to retain our 'clean green image'). We are quite laid back and certainly accomodate different views and lifestyles very well, hence we are far more relaxed about being barefoot than other cultures, and dont get uptight about mums who try and think/behave independently.

I love the safety of our country, even though we live in a large city (Auckland, population 1.3 million), as I have previously mentioned, I have no problem going out for the day shopping or whatever, and leaving my front door and house windows wide open (although we do have two large dogs!), all the neighbours look out for each other. Our two children play happily around the neighbours properties without any issues at all, and we certainly warm to all cultures. We often have neighbourhood street barbeques and many of the neighbours (the young mums/dads especially) are always barefoot, so again the indoor/outdoor distinction is totally irrelevant for us. Our streets are very clean and largely litter free, so getting glass in your feet etc., just doesnt happen - I have been pretty much 100% barefoot for over seven years and have never had any issues, apart from dog s*** twice which I can easily wipe off.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page