S/O of picky eaters thread - Do you have food preferences, even if you are not "picky"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2011, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband has been convinced forever that the only reason people don't like certain foods is because they have had some bad experience with them. While he has some anecdotal evidence of this (a brother who hated lasagna because of food poisoning, a mom who hates onions because she was forced to eat them as a kid), he just won't believe me when I say I never had any sort of experience that turned me off of eggs, yogurt, and avocados. I just don't like the texture of them, never have. He thinks I am picky because my list of things I won't eat is longer than 2, and he can't figure out why I gag when I try those things (and believe me, I WANT to like eggs and avocados). I don't think I'm a picky eater by any stretch of the imagination. I like lots of different types of veggies, fruits, grains, meats, etc. I've even happily eaten all seafood, alligator, snake, and lots of different types of game meat.

I've been telling him forever that he is the strange one smile.gif. The only thing that he really says he absolutely doesn't like is fruitcake (which is an unreasonable food, IMO) and he says that he would even eat that sometimes. He really has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that he doesn't like to eat. I've tried pointing out to him that people have preferences, ie, he would chose a bagel over oatmeal for breakfast 80% of the time. He still maintains that everyone is picky.

Now, he's a totally reasonable person, I think he just likes giving me a hard time about this. I'm not sure if he's really convinced of this, or if he just thinks its his funniest running joke to date that I'm still arguing with him about it (he loves pulling people's legs). So I'm starting this thread because I just KNOW there are people out there who are perfectly non-picky people who have reasonable preferences and dislikes about certain foods.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There are foods I won't eat because of bad experiences, jello with fruit for instance, but a few other things I just don't like.  I think beets taste like dirt, as well as green peppers (but I will eat those in stuff).  I regularly eat foods like sushi and kim chee, so I'm hardly picky.  But I will not eat a beet. I've never been mistreated by beets, I just don't like the way they taste.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:04 PM

I have a friend who thinks I'm the pickiest eater ever because I don't like beans, avocadoes and mushrooms and am not big on sweets.  I've never had bad experiences with those foods, I just don't like them.  I don't drink milk though and I know that's because of years of sitting at the table with a glass of milk that my parents were making me drink and then finally choking it down warm just to be able to get up.

I absolutely have food preferences though.  Like the bagel/oatmeal thing.  I like both, but I'd take a bagel over oatmeal any day.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't think I'm picky, since I eat a wide variety of food from all food groups and from different regions around the globe, but yes, I have preferences. I think it's normal to have likes and dislikes in foods for both textures and flavours.  I don't have bad experiences with my dislikes, I just don't like them. 

There is a long list of food that I like. On my list of dislikes, eggplant is near the top. I will not eat (will not even try!) vegemite, but since I don't think vegemite is actually a foodstuff, that's probably not relevant to this conversation. I feel the same way about the preserved cuttlefish goo that my father enjoyed eating. I'm sure I could think of a few others. 

There are some foods that I can't think about too much as I eat them. Organ meats - kidney, liver etc. Strangely, lobster is another (spoiler to explain why): 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

(they are bottom-dwellers and I have heard them described as basically the rats of the ocean, consuming all the garbage off the ocean floor). 

I LOVE fruitcake, btw! 

Old 02-28-2011, 02:51 PM

I do not like the taste of green beans or raw tomatoes - never have and never will.  I also have never had beans prepared in a way that they don't taste like dirt to me.  I hate eggs and fish.

Even though I will eat nearly everything else, the things I dislike are so much a part of the common diet that I have been deemed a "picky eater".  People think there is something seriously wrong with me because I do not become orgasmic at the the thought of a vine-ripened home grown tomato.  Other people make gagging noises when I eat brussel sprouts and prune-plums, but I am the picky one?

Old 02-28-2011, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkmom View Post

I do not like the taste of green beans or raw tomatoes - never have and never will.  I also have never had beans prepared in a way that they don't taste like dirt to me.  I hate eggs and fish.

Even though I will eat nearly everything else, the things I dislike are so much a part of the common diet that I have been deemed a "picky eater".  People think there is something seriously wrong with me because I do not become orgasmic at the the thought of a vine-ripened home grown tomato.  Other people make gagging noises when I eat brussel sprouts and prune-plums, but I am the picky one?

I think this is it - the things I don't like are perfectly reasonable foods. I know very few people who won't eat eggs. I also don't care for raw tomatoes, but I will eat a good garden tomato if it's served the right way.

And I have a love affair with brussels sprouts. They are heaven as far as I'm concerned. :yum

Old 02-28-2011, 06:06 PM

I don't like cheese- all different kinds, prepared all different ways. I almost always can't keep it down. Sour cream and mayonaise if I can taste them, unwashed mushrooms. artichoke hearts. I am sure there are more, but I sure hate cheese.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:56 PM

I think your DH is the weird one... I've never met anyone who didnt have some preferences.

Until recently i wouldnt touch liver, and even now it has to be prepared a certain way (and preferably by someone else). Same for salmon. I don't care for collards, and i truly dislike turnips. That doesnt make me a picky eater though.

I guess if you served me salmon, collards and turnips for dinner though, you might think i was really picky.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 02-28-2011, 07:45 PM

I don't like fennel.  But, I can eat it, and I do try it at least once a year, hoping that I'll like it (cause it frustrates me to not like it).  It's just not ever going to be something that I buy and serve with gusto.

Other than that, everything is a preference.  I prefer eggs over easy.  Steak rare.  Blue cheese instead of ranch.  That sort of thing.  But, I can eat things that aren't prepared to my preference. 

As I get older, I do find that I'm more of the exception, though.  Most people aren't like me.  Luckily, my dh will eat anything (save a heavy glop of mayo on a sandwich).  I'm very thankful for that, cause I would find it frustrating to cook for someone with more than the usual preferences on a regular basis.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 PM

I don't think my list of "will not eat" is very long, but I sure am vehement about them. Tofu makes me want to barf, as does seitan. I will not touch organ meats (but lurve liverwurst LOL). My fiercest battle is with olives. I will not ever eat an olive. I am 34, and in all my years, I have only recently (like a year ago) accidentally ate one minute sliver of an olive. That is the only time I'd ever tasted them, and guess what? I was right! For those 33 years before that fateful first taste of an olive, I was right in that olives do, in fact, taste like a$$! Ick, and cilantro! Mayonnaise is wretched too. My step-father used to eat spoonfulls of straight mayo right in from of me to get a rise out of me. I would just dry-heave.  Fun times.

What I don't get is why my husband, who is a diabetic with a severe sweet-tooth, does not like sweet potatoes.  What's not to like about a sweet version of the potato?  Seriously.  Oh, and he hates melons.  DDs and I can go through an amazing number of melons on one summer day.  In fact, DDs have been known to go through, just the two of them, one entire full-sized watermelon in one sitting.  Dude, melons are awesome!  Well, I guess DH is just one less person we have to share with!

Oh, and green beans that go *squeek* *squeek* when you chew them make me want to bash my head against a wall.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:42 PM

I have food preferences, don't know of anyone who doesn't.  

I have texture issues with yogurt.  I have forced myself to eat it for such a long time and still haven't came around.  

I can eat it in things but straight takes a lot of work. 

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

Old 02-28-2011, 09:17 PM

I don't eat salad dressings. I hate mustard. I don't like raw tomatoes- homegrown or not. Will not eat hot dogs that are boiled- only the rare grilled one can I choke down. Can't stand raw onions but I add them to almost every savory dish I cook. Not a big fan of juice (whereas DH can drink a gallon in less than a week.)

My list used to be huge as a child but I've branched out quite a bit in recent years. I do think it's kind of strange for someone to not have any preferences.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

Old 02-28-2011, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think I'm picky but dh does. I canNOT eat green beans thanks to my dad making me eat them once as a child. Choked them down cold & now they make me gag. And I do NOT like spicy food (as in hot spicy) but dh does so a LOT of what he likes I don't. But to me that is not a food preference 'cause I like the chicken - just not the spices he wants to cook it in.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 03-01-2011, 12:13 AM

The way that I would define a "picky" eater, is someone that I would be afraid to cook for (excluding allergies, of course!).  For example, I have a really good friend who had a baby in August, and I wanted to cook some meals for her and her husband.  But everything I suggested had something in it her husband wouldn't eat.  At the end of the conversation, she ended up feeling a little miffed, and I just brought her stuff for her to eat (and she left her husband to fend for himself for a few weeks).  No one brought them meals, because everyone knows the husband has a lot of food preferences, and everyone was afraid they'd bring something that wouldn't get eaten.  THAT is a picky eater.

But I think 9 out of 10 people would probably have foods they don't like at all.  I do think you get more flack about it if it's a common food though.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Old 03-01-2011, 12:21 AM

I don't consider myself a picky eater. I try new things all the time but if you list things out I still have quite a few preferences and they don't come from bad experiences.

I dislike seafood for no particular reason. I do eat fish sometimes but I'm just not a fan. The thought of eating lobster or shrimp seems gross to me. Clams or oysters are also gross to me.

I don't like tapioca pudding. It tastes okay but the texture is weird.

I also don't like coconut because of the texture. It makes me think of pencil shavings. I don't dislike the flavor though.

I'm not fond of eating eggs. I am not allergic and never got sick from them but I don't really like the way they taste.

I can only stomach eating hot dogs if they are somewhat burnt. Otherwise I think they are disgusting.

I'm not a fan of meatloaf. I wasn't forced to eat it. I just really don't like it much.

I dislike ketchup most of the time. It never made me sick. No one forced me to use ketchup as a child. I like tomatoes.

I hate cucumbers. I like dill pickles.

I hate black licorice.

I dislike fruit flavored things like grape, orange or lemon candy, drinks or medicines. I like the actual fruits.

I prefer cooked onions.

I won't eat liver. I think it looks and smells gross.

I won't eat cheese whiz after getting sick when I was young. But I probably wouldn't eat it now anyway because it is not the kind of food I eat anymore.

I won't eat tongue because it is tongue. Gross. I also would not want to eat pigs feet, fish heads, brains, tripe, etc.

I don't like cilantro. I've tried it in different things and it just tastes bad to me every time.

I've never eaten a turnip or a parsnip. No particular reason. I just don't find white vegetables attractive.

I won't eat rabbit. Rabbits are not food to me. They are cute pets.

White bread tastes like glue to me. Yuck.

I love mushrooms and blue cheese. My mom couldn't stand either of those foods.

I prefer to eat hot, salty or crunchy foods for snacks. Dh prefers things like ice cream or pudding.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Old 03-01-2011, 01:11 AM

I'm far from picky. I will eat almost anything you put in front of me. Almost... I won't eat peanut butter, no bad experiences I just really hate the taste. Same goes for ketchup, pepper, squid (tried it, hated it, will never eat it again.) I don't really like the texture of dumpling, and won't eat those either. It's not being picky, it's just having preferences. Just like I won't even sit through an entire romantic comedy. I never had a bad experience with one, but they are all just too freakin' cheesy for my liking and the "comedy" isn't even all that funny.

A picky eater isn't someone who has a few foods they won't eat, its someone who has a few foods they will eat.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 03-01-2011, 04:46 AM

I am from maine- land of the lobster. I have heard that years ago, lobster was fed to the prisoners because it was considered garbage food!  I would never eat lobster either- primarily because it looks like a giant bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

There are some foods that I can't think about too much as I eat them. Organ meats - kidney, liver etc. Strangely, lobster is another (spoiler to explain why): 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

(they are bottom-dwellers and I have heard them described as basically the rats of the ocean, consuming all the garbage off the ocean floor). 

I LOVE fruitcake, btw! 

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
Old 03-01-2011, 05:13 AM

I hate beats.  I think they are the only food that makes me gag.  Its the taste and smell.  I never had a bad experience with them other than not liking them.  I did have a bad experience with squash as a child, forced  to eat it and threw up, but as an adult I really like it.  The only other food I don't eat is raw oysters.  I just can't bring myself to try them.  They look so slimy.  I will eat them fried though.  There are some other foods I don't really like that much but would probably still eat them if served.

SAHM to tiphat.gif  & modifiedartist.gif
Old 03-01-2011, 05:32 AM

The aversions I have to foods are texture related and nothing to do with a bad experience. Things like eggs, pasta, jello I can't do because of the texture. The things I've had bad experiences with I have no problem eating.

Some people (scientifically proven) have super taste buds and can't eat things that are too strong like grapefruit.

Fruit cake by the way is awesome. The homemade stuff that is. Store bought fruitcake should be banned.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:54 AM

My dh quite literally likes every.single.food.  He will eat anything and truly has no great preferences.  Of course he makes *choices*, but when I ask him "what would you like" he ALWAYS responds with "I don't care".  He is a supertaster, but loves everything.  He can detect different ingredients to an amazing degree.  He's not picky at all though.  We both can taste when something is processed chemically and will not eat those foods.  Neither of us like the chemical taste of processed foods, so they have no place in our diet.

I do have preferences, though.  I'm not big on sweets, so, if for example I have a choice between something savory or sweet for breakfast, I'll choose savory every single time.  OTOH, I don't like pickles by themselves, but enjoy them when they are part of, for example, a salad or other mayonnaise-based dish.

For me, though, it's more about HOW the food is prepared.  I don't like canned green beans, but sauteed fresh beans with garlic and shallots are a FAVORITE.  I don't like raw eggplant, but like it in Ratatouille.  If I lived in Kansas, like a pp posted, I wouldn't be eating seafood, either.  But when we're in Turkey, for example, right on the sea where you can buy your seafood STILL ALIVE and have it butchered in front of you to eat only a few hours later... OMG!!  So delicious!  And under-ripe avocado tastes like nothing and has a strange texture, but a ripe avocado is heaven.  So, it's also about QUALITY of items, as well.

In the picky eater thread, I mentioned that I had a discussion with my mom recently about my childhood pickiness.  For me, it was because she didn't know how to cook. I'm not picky at all anymore.  I think a lot of pickiness and preferences are about the WAY food is prepared.  So many people don't know how to cook anymore.  They've adopted convenience as their method of cooking.  They don't know how to pick good, fresh food.  I think that while people have preferences, it's probably more related to what is available fresh, locally, and prepared properly rather than the food itself.  JMO.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:43 AM

I totally agree it depends on how it's cooked. I've found that there are lots of foods I really do like now that I've had them prepared properly. My mom and grandma are not great cooks and just boiled everything to death.

Maybe I am picky, I keep thinking of things I don't like the more I read this thread.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia622 View Post

I am from maine- land of the lobster. I have heard that years ago, lobster was fed to the prisoners because it was considered garbage food!  I would never eat lobster either- primarily because it looks like a giant bug.

LOL!! In Australia, there is a similar crustacean, without claws, called a Moreton Bay Bug. They are delicious. But, yeah, the name is a little off-putting. 

Old 03-01-2011, 12:53 PM

I think some of it is exposure and some is experience and some is flavor.

FWIW - My mother does not like peanut butter.  My two sisters eat PB; I do not.  I cannot stand the taste or smell of PB.  DH and DS1 LOVE PB.  I consider myself the best mom ever since I can now make a PB&J without gagging.  DD is okay with PB, and will eat it, especially spread on apples.  DS2 hates PB, and won't consider touching or tasting it for any reason. 

Also - I really like many of the things people are "supposed" to be grossed out by - Spinach, liver, cauliflower, poached eggs...

nature vs nurture???

Old 03-01-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post

I totally agree it depends on how it's cooked. I've found that there are lots of foods I really do like now that I've had them prepared properly. My mom and grandma are not great cooks and just boiled everything to death.

Maybe I am picky, I keep thinking of things I don't like the more I read this thread.

I'm going to have to disagree with that. The pickiest eater I know, picky since childhood, grew up with a dad who was an awesome cook. She does have a very sensitive tongue though and there are things, even in their blandest form are just too much for her. You can make the best roast beef known to mankind and she'll still find it disgusting.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 03-01-2011, 01:49 PM

My husband is not picky at all - I've never even considered him that way. But he will not eat tomatoes except in sauce form (ketchup, pasta sauce).

Both DH and I have food preferences, too. It took me a long time to like chick peas and hummus. DH likes to put hot sauce on his pasta - I say yuck. I'm sure I could choke it down if I had to, and I'm not against hot stuff in general, but I don't like it on my pasta. And DH hasn't been fond of my squash soup lately. But he'd choke it down if he had to, sure. He likes squash, he just doesn't like the soup I make.

I don't think either of us are picky at all. Picky to me would indicate that a person would have trouble coping in a situation when they couldn't control the menu - like going over to someone's house for dinner and eating whatever is served, or going on a group trip overseas and having your leader procure the food. I think even if someone might pass on one specific side dish but otherwise be fine, I don't even consider that picky. But if someone is going to dinner at someone's house and actually worries beforehand what will be served, that would be a level of picky for me (obviously food allergies and such would fall outside of picky).

Old 03-01-2011, 05:38 PM

I went from vegetarian to vegan about a year ago, quitting dairy, eggs, and honey.  I have now switched back to vegetarian, and I am back on the dairy and honey train.  However, eggs are disgusting to me now.   I can even taste them in baked goods.

I LOVE cilantro!  I could eat it like a salad, I bet. 

cooked spinach=eh, raw spinach=poison

My DH LOVES brussel sprouts, and I really want to, but I don't no matter how I prepare them.

I would say I am NOT picky, because I will eat almost everything else.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:03 PM

Words are funny, too.  IRL, I regularly tell people that I'm picky.  I freely admit it.

What I mean by that is that I really, really prefer my eggs cooked a certain way, my chicken not-overcooked, my red meat rare.  These things are how I cook my own food when I'm in charge of the stove.  I can eat these foods cooked otherwise, certainly, but I don't prefer them, and I would never choose to do so.

And, this, in my mind makes me crazy picky, and it drives me crazy about myself.  Why can't I just relax and take food as it comes???  It really bothers me if I dwell on it. 

Old 03-01-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post

In the picky eater thread, I mentioned that I had a discussion with my mom recently about my childhood pickiness.  For me, it was because she didn't know how to cook. I'm not picky at all anymore.  I think a lot of pickiness and preferences are about the WAY food is prepared.  So many people don't know how to cook anymore.  They've adopted convenience as their method of cooking.  They don't know how to pick good, fresh food.  I think that while people have preferences, it's probably more related to what is available fresh, locally, and prepared properly rather than the food itself.  JMO.

This, this, and this. I'm way less picky than when I was eating my mom's cooking. (Sorry Mom.)

The more veggies I grow in my garden and the better I get at different cooking techniques, the more diverse diet I eat.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:38 PM

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 PM

I don't like raw celery simply b/c I absolutely do not like the flavor of it.  It has nothing to do with my past or anything of the sort.  I will eat it in soups or whatever, though.  I also do not like the taste of the seaweed they use in sushi.  I love sushi otherwise, but the seaweed flavor makes me gag.  I didn't have sushi for the first time until about a couple years ago, and that was the first type I tried.  I just don't like it.  Period.

My husband will not eat mushrooms b/c of the texture.  He loves the flavor of mushrooms, but can't eat them b/c the texture makes him gag.  My son does not like sweet potatoes or pumpkin pie b/c of the texture/flavor.  As far as I know, he's never had a bad experience with either of them, he just doesn't like them and I'm not about to force him to eat them. 

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

User Tag List