When people share personal things on facebook and it seems like they do it for attention or drama... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 03-04-2011, 04:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

I usually just ignore the cryptic posts, unless I can think of something witty to say in response. I guess I would rather people were just straightforward but it doesn't bother me enough to block them.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 03-04-2011, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_my_babes View Post

Usually I don't block people, I just ignore their post and move on. However, I have one person on my FB that posts a status update, probably, every half an hour.... "Going outside with the kids."  "Back inside".  "Now I am cleaning my living room" etc. It does get to me, but I guess she is lonely being home alone with the kids (I know how that gets) and FB is a sort of, outlet for her. I don't have any people that post attention seeking updates regularly.

Maybe you might delicately suggest that person should get a Twitter account LOL.

#33 of 40 Old 03-04-2011, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamom View Post

I know this isn't what I should be doing and I've since made a vow not to share anything but happy stuff but I admit it's really hard when I'm feeling so loney all day with the kids.

Aw, I hope you don't feel like you should only ever post happy stuff. The people you're connected with on FB are supposedly your friends, right? I think it's perfectly fine to lean on them and look for commiseration, especially if that's not the only type of post you ever make and you don't just fish for sympathy by posting cryptic half-thoughts. I think people who only post ridiculously upbeat stuff can be just as annoying -- where every day is "A TOTAL BLAST!!!1!!!1!!!1!!OMGLOL!!!!!11!!1!!!BESTDAYEVAH!!!1!11!!!" Just be real, without trying to only present a particular facet of yourself (The Perfect Mother, The Victim, etc.), and you should be fine. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#34 of 40 Old 03-04-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittynurse View Post

Maybe you might delicately suggest that person should get a Twitter account LOL.

They might already have one...I know a lot of twitter posts automatically update that person's facebook status too.

#35 of 40 Old 03-04-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamom View Post

I also don't like the really cryptic messages but I admit I have posted some things really just wanting attention or help or commiseration or something. Sometimes being at home all day with the kids I feel so overwhelmed and lonely and like the rest of the world just forgot about me but I also have a really hard time asking for help. Sometimes I admit I will sort of fish for help hoping someone will offer. Like one time I said along the lines of "woohoo, DH took the kids to the park for an hour! First "me" time I've had in weeks. I'm going to use it scrubbing the bathtub because I'm so behind on housework but at least I can do it uninterrupted!" That really was what happened but the only reason I shared it was hoping someone would see how much I needed some alone time and offer to help. I know this isn't what I should be doing and I've since made a vow not to share anything but happy stuff but I admit it's really hard when I'm feeling so loney all day with the kids.

I don't think those posts are the ones that the OP is talking about. I think it's the annoying ones only looking for attention. And I wouldn't say that you always have to be postitive. Facebook can be a good venting place. A place to share your thoughts with your friends and family. Don't be so hard on yourself. Being a stay at home parent is overwhelming sometimes and super lonely. You need an outlet sometimes.

"We submit to the majority because we have to. But we are not compelled to call our attitude of subjection a posture of respect."
Ambrose Bierce 
#36 of 40 Old 03-04-2011, 09:16 PM

I wouldn't say they "bug" me (I don't care what anyone posts at a status), but no matter what it will make me think the poster is very immature/ridiculous.  I have a lot of people like that on my facebook and I just think it is so weird/highschool-ish.

Jane:  OMG I want to die now!!

Lisa:   oh no, what is wrong?

Jane:  I will send you an email.

100 other friends:  I hope you are ok!!

So goofy, really.  twins.gif   Or this one (names have been changed, not that it really matters):

Lori:  Wow, I am SO angry right now!!  Message me if you want details.

????  Why not just explain why you are oh so angry in your status?  Or better yet, skip it altogether if you don't want to look like a whiny emo 14 year old?  LOL 

(I can't block some of these people....they are relatives and they do post normal stuff a lot of the time too :D  )

#37 of 40 Old 03-05-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

yeah fb can be a nice little place to vent a little and get some attention when you do need it, but if you do it all the time it becomes really hard to look at those statuses all the time.
#38 of 40 Old 03-06-2011, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

I'm not on Facebook, but back when I was I ignored stuff like that. It seems like a really weird venue to use for stuff like that, to me. Those cryptic "woe is me, but i won't tell you why" posts are ridiculous, and the most polite thing I could do was ignore them. eyesroll.gif

nod.gif

#39 of 40 Old 03-06-2011, 08:18 AM

I generally ignore them because they make me feel awkward for the poster.

One time I posted something - I don't even remember what now but I think it was  a quote or a song lyric - it was meant to be funny and sarcastic and one of my fb friends who is an emotional broadcasters replied "Is everything OK??????" I kind of groaned and clarified that it was a quote, but most other people had gotten it. I forget what it was.

I also have the friend who states what she is doing all the time. Really boring stuff like waiting in line at the bank or what restaurant she's at and what she ordered. She has also gotten in trouble mutlitple times for posting inappropriate pictures of friends drinking and being silly. I think she has this need to publish her life in a "see I have friends and I do stuff" kind of way.   

My teenage step-niece posts every. single. emotion she has, and let me tell you she has many. I wish she would stop, she has a lot of angst and she's in therapy, but she posts teenage drama pouty stuff and I just think she should stop. Oh, and they're cryptic too. Makes me real glad I didn't have that outlet as a kid.

#40 of 40 Old 03-06-2011, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopin' Mama View Post
Makes me real glad I didn't have that outlet as a kid.

lol.gif I was just saying that to a friend last night! She was telling me about her friend's teenage daughter and the funny stuff she posts, and we realized that we said the EXACT same stuff when we were her age, but thankfully it wasn't immortalized on Facebook -- we could just spout our silliness into the ether and let it disappear. Phew! redface.gif

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page