Funny Things Your Parents Say/ Said - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DH and I love comparing the little saying that our parents have. We can frequently predict what will be said in certain situations. What are some of the funny things your parents say?

If biscuits are served with a meal, DFIL will always say "wicky bicket", at some point.

My father has so many. But, off the top of my head, if it is overly warm inside (in his opinion), he will say, "it's hot enough to breed sheep in here". If someone leaves the house door open, "What? Were you raised in a barn?"

I love their sayings and am sure that my children will laugh at mine when they are grown.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#2 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 10:46 AM

Instead of yada yada yada, My father always said "badda BEE badda BOO". 

My mother would always tell me to "leave him be" when referring to me picking on the cat. 

The way my grandfather would say "its BRRRROKETTE"  He would currrrl the R as if he were italian, but he was russian.  Funny guy. 

Whenever it was really hot and humid outside, my grandmother would say Its "Close" outside. 

My aunt, to this DAY, calls the living room a Parlor.  Drives me batty. She also used to call me poopies for a nickname, until I was like, 10!  Because shes started this pretty much from birth, I called her poopies in return.  I used to get yelled at at daycare all the time by my peers.  "OOOOOOOO, Gina said a bad word!!!!!". 

#3 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 11:58 AM

Not my parents, but my Grandma has weird ways of saying things. She will yell at us to get our feet off the Davenport and she says she's going to the grocer. My sister and I crack up behind her back and then we try really hard to use some of her sayings in real life. I've often wished for a pen and a pad of paper on hand to jot down all of her awesome sayings while we are there visiting her. Anyone know why a couch used to be called a Davenport? I'm really curious.
#4 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 12:17 PM

My mom's old favorite was "life sucks then you die" lol.gif This sounds terrible I know, but she always said it in such a way that it was funny. I'd be frustrated that I had a lot of homework and that's a guaranteed "life sucks then you die." If I whined about wanting a toy in the supermarket, there's another "life sucks then you die." This still cracks me up though she doesn't say it anymore. It was like my childhood motto.

She loved to call me and my sister "bottomless pits" because we ate so much - I definitely say this about my second son all the time. She always used to say "6 of one a dozen of the other" until I corrected her when I was like...18? When she was frustrated she would tell us to "pound sand" and when we sat in front of the tv "you make a better door than a window." These are the sayings that echo in my head to this day.

#5 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *clementine* View Post
 Anyone know why a couch used to be called a Davenport? I'm really curious.

Same reason a lot of people call tissue Kleenex, or any generic MP3 player an iPod. Davenport was a really popular brand of sofa for a while and it became a generalized term for sofa.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#6 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Banned

If my mom ever saw a whole bunch of something in one place, for instance, a lot of school buses parked in a lot, she would say "It's a school bus laughin' place!" I still have no idea what that means, but we say it all the time anyway.

If we find a really good parking spot, we say "That spot had our name on it!"

Someone who talks a lot is said to "talk the left ear off a wooden indian".

When someone needed to go spend time in the bathroom, my mother would say they "had some business to attend to." My MIL says she "has to go visit Mrs. White."

#7 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 01:12 PM

On the 4th of July, my mom always says, "hey, y'all, it's as hot as... the 4th of July!"  Then, we all crack up.

We also heard the "were you raised in a barn" at my house, as well as "you make a better door than window."

#8 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 01:45 PM

Every time we'd pull into the drive way coming home from somewhere my Mom would say, "home again, home again, jiggity jig!". 

SAHM to tiphat.gif  & modifiedartist.gif
#9 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 01:51 PM

Just thought of another one.  PP made me think of it. 

If we were driving somewhere and passed a turn, and pulled into a random driveway to turn around, my father would say, Were here, put on the coffee!

#10 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 01:54 PM

My dad always said "you make a better door than a window".  On hot days he also said it was "hotter than the hinges on the door to Hell".  My mom would always complain "I'm not running a restaurant" when someone didn't like what was for dinner, and she never swore, she always said "Crimeny Kraut".  I have no idea what that means.

Not a saying, but to this day I can never tell them what I paid for anything without them telling me where I could have purchased it for less.  If I say I found a sale on canned tomatos for 25cents, they know an out of the way grocery store 100 miles away where the sale price is 24cents.  My dh, kids and I laugh about this all the time!

#11 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairy2dogs View Post

Every time we'd pull into the drive way coming home from somewhere my Mom would say, "home again, home again, jiggity jig!". 

My dh says that.

I could go on all day with the crazythings my dad says.  he's a goofy guy :)

#12 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Same reason a lot of people call tissue Kleenex, or any generic MP3 player an iPod. Davenport was a really popular brand of sofa for a while and it became a generalized term for sofa.

I wondered.....I was always confused as a child though because the town next door to us is called Davenport. I thought maybe she got all her couches there....or something.redface.gif Thanks.
#13 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 02:58 PM

My DH's grandmother would always, without fail, make some comment when passing a graveyard. Either "What a quiet neighborhood" or "People are dying to move into this neighborhood" or something like that.

So it kind of got passed down to us, too. We don't say it EVERY time, but yeah, a lot.

My grandmother did the Davenport thing, Hoover, shears (instead of scissors), commode (toilet). A little off-topic but I have lots of memories of her walking around bent over plucking up invisible (to me) lint or dirt or whatever off the carpet. She was 6 feet tall and she didn't bend at the knees, and I always thought about chickens scratching for bugs when I saw that.

#14 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 03:25 PM

Okyponokee and a swamp to you too (so spelled wrong), I think that comes from an old comic strip.

In a traffic jam:

What a herd of turtles!

We're in a car parade!

By my 3rd Passover with dh's family, I'd figured out what each one would remark on at each point. Now that there are a lot of little kids and babies, people don't make the comments that trigger the *exact same* 1/2 hour discussions anymore.

#15 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *clementine* View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

I wondered.....I was always confused as a child though because the town next door to us is called Davenport. I thought maybe she got all her couches there....or something.redface.gif Thanks.

The well of useless knowledge says "You're welcome".

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#16 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 04:23 PM

My father was full of funny sayings, but my favorite was something he always said when it was raining really hard - said in his wonderful southern draaawl, "Damn, it's rainin' like a tall cow pissin' on a flat rock out there!". Now, I say it pretty much every time it rains love.gif

Wife and mother to 2 kiddos - 17 yr old DS jammin.gifand 13 yr old DD energy.gif.. and a cat that thinks he's a dog dizzy.gif
#17 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 04:45 PM

Everything my mother said was strange since she spoke mostly in (computer) code. eyesroll.gif  Hence, why I refused to learn anything but the most basic computer stuff.  Seriously tho, I don't really think of anything she said as "weird" because it's what I grew up with, kwim?

MIL, otoh, was born & bred in PA Dutch country, so oh. my. does she have some doozies.  "Red up the house", "It's just a few clicks away" (sounds so old-timey, it especially cracks me up when otherwise hip DH uses this), "So-and-so was 75 years old (the syncopation is really odd the ways she stresses the 'years') are just a few examples.  Add to that the fact that she just plain mangles the pronunciation to certain words (the most famous being "the Cringe who Stole Christmas") and it's good times.  I do love that woman! orngbiggrin.gif

Me read.gif, Kenny REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, Liv blahblah.gif, Evie baby.gif, & brokenheart.gif
#18 of 22 Old 03-18-2011, 06:50 AM

)

#19 of 22 Old 03-18-2011, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

psshpssh pants - that is hilarious! I love it!

If we asked my dad where we were going he would always say "to the moon baby" or "crazy baby". Whenever he eats apple pie he puts cheese on it & says "a piece of pie without cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze" & then immediately after "I'm a poet & didn't know it". He used to fall asleep on the couch & if we woke him up he'd say "I'm not sleeping, just checking for cracks." (in his eyelids).

My mom is a lesbian & if we're driving in the car & giving her directions if you tell her to go straight at the next intersection she'll say "can't go straight but I can go gaily forward". Used to embarrass the heck out of me as a teenager.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#20 of 22 Old 03-18-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

My mom's directions are always hysterical. "Mom, where is the sauce pan?" "Tip top of the down-below." The top shelf of the lower kitchen cabinets.

Or, "Mom, how much did that cost?" "$42.98" The cost of something is always $42.98. Always. The funniest thing was when we were shopping together (in my adulthood) and the total was actually $42.98. We laughed so hard.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#21 of 22 Old 03-18-2011, 07:50 AM

My favorite is of my dads.  When we would see him put on his shoes or put his wallet in his pocket, we would immediately ask "Where are you going"  and he would say "Going crazy, wanna come with?"!!!  I say that to my oldest ds now!

After my grandpa would yawn, he would say "Goodness gracious me oh my"!!

Another favorite of my dads.  If the roads are slick with ice or our driveway on the farm was icy, he would say "Slicker than snot on a door knob!!"

I know there are more.  My dads family was notorious for weird sayings, especially my dad!

Lynn, wife to Jason  SAHM to Nate, Riley and Jon
#22 of 22 Old 03-18-2011, 08:00 AM

My parents also often said "Were you born in a barn?"  when we were being rude or crude.

(I said it to my youngest once, and he said "No!! I was born in a FAMILY!")

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page