What are your thoughts on shirts or hats with sayings that are sexual in nature or just rude? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For example a shirt that says "It won't suck itself" or "meet the man (with an arrow up) meet the legend (with an arrow down)".
#2 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 09:29 AM

I think they're tacky and honestly a little immature.  Maybe the kind of thing a 17 year old boy might wear.

Youngfrankenstein likes this.
#3 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 09:32 AM

Those are disgusting.

#4 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Very crude. I wouldn't live in a house with a man who would wear one of those.
#5 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 09:41 AM

Im sorry, but I actually snorted at the "it wont suck itself" one.  I think they are fine while dancing at a club or at a college frat party.  Time and a place right?  Environments where you expect the atmoshpere to be sexually charged.  But at the grocery store?  Where six year olds can read it?  Nah.  Definetly not at church or to work. (which reminds me, remember those co-ed naked XXXXXX t shirts from the 90s?  Well one day a guy wore one to church, probbaly wasnt even paying attention when he put it on, and OMG the priest gave him the most embarrassing toungue lashing.  I wanted to die FOR HIM)

ETA, my MIL bought my son a shirt that said "my moms hotter then your mom" when he was a baby. I loved that dang shirt.  Yea, im a jerk.

#6 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

former neighbor has one that makes fun of ford, it says f#ck like a rock or something. it's rude and vulgar. i don't like seeing shirts that say f off either.
#7 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I'm not a fan of slogan t-shirts in general, no matter what they say. DH and I don't wear them, we don't buy them for our kids, and thankfully no one else does either. I feel the same way about bumper stickers -- they're just not my cup of tea. 

by-the-lake likes this.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#8 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 09:52 AM

Don't wear them myself, don't care what other people wear.

Eyelet and capretta like this.
#9 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 10:58 AM

I hate them. I find them to have one place and one place only: Beach strips while college kids are on spring break.

When I first started dating DH his sister was 11. She wore a shirt that had a picture of a taxi on it and said "Let me ride you", and another one that said "My mom thinks Im spending the night at a friends house." It was my first impression of DH's mom, and I pretty much came to two conclusions (which i have found to both be very true). 1. She is completely out of touch with her daughters generation. 2. She would let her kid do just about anything as long as she could be lazy and not have to think about it.

When I see kids with stupid slogan shirts, I automatically think that either their parents dont know they are wearing it, or they have crappy parents.

When I see adults wearing clothing like that, I think they either are very mentally behind or they are a jackass.

swede likes this.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#10 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I do not like them; they make me judgmental about the people who buy, wear, make, and sell them.

#11 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 11:15 AM

I don't like them.  I find they say a lot about a person, nothing of which I would care to invite into my life.

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#12 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Charlie's~Angel~ View Post

Im sorry, but I actually snorted at the "it wont suck itself" one.  I think they are fine while dancing at a club or at a college frat party.  Time and a place right?  Environments where you expect the atmoshpere to be sexually charged.  But at the grocery store?  Where six year olds can read it?  Nah.  Definetly not at church or to work. (which reminds me, remember those co-ed naked XXXXXX t shirts from the 90s?  Well one day a guy wore one to church, probbaly wasnt even paying attention when he put it on, and OMG the priest gave him the most embarrassing toungue lashing.  I wanted to die FOR HIM)

ETA, my MIL bought my son a shirt that said "my moms hotter then your mom" when he was a baby. I loved that dang shirt.  Yea, im a jerk.

I laughed too. I dont think racial things are appropriate but otherwise, who cares. I think sometimes it is immature or childish but again, who cares. My hubby has a shirt with stick figures of a husband and wife and it says 'game over'. I guess some people might be offended but I am not (and it should only matter to me as I am his wife), I know it is just funny. He loves being married and doesnt believe it is 'game over. And we love seeing peoples reactions...

Why does everything have to be so serious all the time? I guess that makes me a jerk too. Oh well

WOH Wife to Steve 3/31/07 ; Mama to Sophia Margaret 9/26/07; and Ava Grace 2/5/09
#13 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I think what they advertise is "I'm a jackass."  Not something I'd want to say myself, but handy information to have about other people.

Sol_y_Paz likes this.
#14 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 11:38 AM

I laughed at that slogan too.  Guess I'm a jackass.

I don't usually wear them.  I have one that says "Sucks to be me" that is from Avenue Q but that's about it.  DS used to have one that said "my name is trouble" that was adorable.

ETA:  I totally want one that says, "Save a horse, ride a cowboy" but I'm not sure I'd have the guts to wear it.  LOL.

I usually get a little chuckle out of them and move on.

#15 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post

Don't wear them myself, don't care what other people wear.

Agreed.  I can't see letting text on a shirt of hat or any piece of clothing offend me.  But then, apparently there are people who are offended by a peace sign, of all things.  Part of the point of certain phrases or graphics on shirts is to shock people or get their attention.  I might think it's odd to wear something sexual or whatever at chuck e cheese, but I can't see being overly upset over what anyone else puts on their body.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#16 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 11:47 AM

Agreed lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post

I think what they advertise is "I'm a jackass."  Not something I'd want to say myself, but handy information to have about other people.

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#17 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 11:53 AM

Don't like 'em.  Oddly enough, the only one I've ever seen in real life was on a college *girl*.  She was standing at a bus stop as I drove by, and her shirt said "I'm Horny".  bigeyes.gif

I kinda wondered, if random guys hit on her, does she get annoyed?  Or does she really mean what she's advertising?

#18 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 12:10 PM

...and that's where the slippery slope begins. If a woman is wearing a shirt like that is she justified in getting 'offended' if men say inappropriate things to her? Many here would likely say, NO! What a woman wears shouldn't determine her treatment -- then get into rape arguments. Let me be clear: no one deserves to get assaulted, ever, ever, ever <-- read this again before responding...

... but if a woman is wearing a shirt that says "I'm horny" and a man comes driving by "so am i, let's go back to my place" (or whatever the kids are sayin' these days lol.gif ) does she have the right to get all bent?

If a man was wearing a "it won't suck itself" shirt, and say... I dunno, a woman he would never be attracted to or a gay male if he were hetero was all "okay baby, take off your pants" (or whatever), is the person who wore the shirt in the first place justified in getting all indignant and offended provided they don't want that kind of attention?

Interesting to ponder these things.

ETA: I don't think it's the same as a woman wearing a "suggestive" outfit or whatever because that just may be her personal style and she may not be intending to communicate anything. I mean clothing that clearly communicates, in no uncertain terms, something sexually suggestive such as "I'm horny" or "it won't suck itself".

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post

Don't like 'em.  Oddly enough, the only one I've ever seen in real life was on a college *girl*.  She was standing at a bus stop as I drove by, and her shirt said "I'm Horny".  bigeyes.gif

I kinda wondered, if random guys hit on her, does she get annoyed?  Or does she really mean what she's advertising?

#19 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

...and that's where the slippery slope begins. If a woman is wearing a shirt like that is she justified in getting 'offended' if men say inappropriate things to her? Many here would likely say, NO! What a woman wears shouldn't determine her treatment -- then get into rape arguments. Let me be clear: no one deserves to get assaulted, ever, ever, ever <-- read this again before responding...

... but if a woman is wearing a shirt that says "I'm horny" and a man comes driving by "so am i, let's go back to my place" (or whatever the kids are sayin' these days lol.gif ) does she have the right to get all bent?

If a man was wearing a "it won't suck itself" shirt, and say... I dunno, a woman he would never be attracted to or a gay male if he were hetero was all "okay baby, take off your pants" (or whatever), is the person who wore the shirt in the first place justified in getting all indignant and offended provided they don't want that kind of attention?

Interesting to ponder these things.

ETA: I don't think it's the same as a woman wearing a "suggestive" outfit or whatever because that just may be her personal style and she may not be intending to communicate anything. I mean clothing that clearly communicates, in no uncertain terms, something sexually suggestive such as "I'm horny" or "it won't suck itself".

It kind of reminds me of when I was tutoring high schoolers and we were going over how to write a job application. I mentioned the importance of perfect spelling and punctuation, and was amused by the amount of indignation that idea brought about -- the kids got all huffy and said things like, "But they don't even know me! They shouldn't judge me because of one little mistake on my application!" Some of them had a really tough time with the concept that yes, exactly, they don't know you -- all they know about you is what you present in your application, and if you can't be bothered to have someone proofread it, maybe you can't be bothered to do your job well either. You don't have to think that's "fair," but you should be aware about the reality of the way it works so that, if you want to become employed, you can make yourself appealing to employers. 

So with the clothing thing, passersby don't know anything about you except what you look like, so if your shirt is telling the world that you're horny, then you might get sexual attention. You have every right to feel offended by that, and express that feeling, but you might be hard pressed to find a sympathetic ear. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#20 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 12:40 PM

Aw crap... A few of you are put off by me without even seeing me in public...

I have a bit of a soft spot for t-shirts like that. I don't wear them in public mind you, though I really think the only limit should be to keep them out of areas where kids gather, I just keep them for fun and lazy days without kids.

MD, owner of a few naughty t-shirts.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#21 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 12:49 PM

I don't wear slogan t-shirts, but my opinion of a shirt like that depends on WHAT the joke is. If its a joke I find offensive, I don't like the shirt. If it's a joke I find non-offensive and funny, I like the shirt. Those two examples you gave, I feel mildly negative about, but not at all offended. Some others I find quite funny. I like one I saw, "I'm naked under these clothes." or something like that.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#22 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyamo View Post

I don't wear slogan t-shirts, but my opinion of a shirt like that depends on WHAT the joke is. If its a joke I find offensive, I don't like the shirt. If it's a joke I find non-offensive and funny, I like the shirt. Those two examples you gave, I feel mildly negative about, but not at all offended. Some others I find quite funny. I like one I saw, "I'm naked under these clothes." or something like that.

yeahthat.gif   The first example I felt negative about, the second one make me snort!  The majority of the slogan t-shirts I've seen have made me laugh.  I also agree with the PP who said they have a time and place. 

SAHM to tiphat.gif  & modifiedartist.gif
#23 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 02:10 PM

Don't care, though I don't wear rude shirts.  Of course, I also bought a onsie for my best friend's baby that said, "My Daddy is a Mother F--er" (it wasn't censored).  I knew she and her husband would love it (she literally peed herself laughing!), and I knew it would be appreciated, so perhaps I'm the wrong person to ask.

It takes a lot to offend me, language-wise.  I view most of those shirts in the same way I view those plastic scrotums people buy to put on their big cars--a bit eye rolling, but if other people want to be seen as immature or not having the discretion about when might be an appropriate time to wear such attire, it's no business of mine.  (DD, btw, the first time she noticed the truck scrotums--they used to be popular around here but I've not seen one in a long while--begged me to put a vulva on our minivan, so it didn't scar her for life seeing it either.  Kind of glad that I could tell her truthfully that I didn't know where to buy a car vulva, I can only imagine the stir that would have caused in the preschool parking lot.)

New_Natural_Mom likes this.
#24 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerchild View Post

(DD, btw, the first time she noticed the truck scrotums--they used to be popular around here but I've not seen one in a long while--begged me to put a vulva on our minivan, so it didn't scar her for life seeing it either.  Kind of glad that I could tell her truthfully that I didn't know where to buy a car vulva, I can only imagine the stir that would have caused in the preschool parking lot.)

biglaugh.gifWhat an awesome response!

I often find those t-shirts quite funny, though sometimes just rude or crude.  Regardless, I wouldn't be offended.  On a 16-22 year old at a party, the movies, the mall, etc they'd just make me laugh.  I don't wear them.

As a high school teacher, I was often quite shocked at the t-shirts kids could make it through the day in.  I once sent a child to the office at 6th period with a t-shirt that read "Save a horse, ride a cowboy"  Her response was "but it's a song"  Did I think it was funny, yes, quite.  Did I think it was appropriate for Algebra class, no, not at all.  There was also a kid in 4th period in a shirt reading "Circle Jerks" bigeyes.gif  Apparently it's a band shrug.gif, but also grossly inappropriate for school.  Perhaps his first 3 teachers weren't familiar with the term...  There was also a kid with several different items of clothing simply reading S&M in fancy type ("but it's a skate shop") which he wore often.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#25 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower of Bliss View Post

There was also a kid in 4th period in a shirt reading "Circle Jerks" bigeyes.gif  Apparently it's a band shrug.gif, but also grossly inappropriate for school.  Perhaps his first 3 teachers weren't familiar with the term... 

I've heard of the band, but I didn't know it had another meaning.  I had to look it up.  bag.gif

#26 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 03:24 PM

Every time we visit friends in the bay, we always get the "WHY are Oregonians SO committed to ugly shoes?" (Keens, Merrils, etc.) tagline.  They're always (teasingly) horrified by our "REI catalog look," and we are usually equally horrified by the the uncomfortable looking shoes that they're wearing.

Slogan shirts fall under that "whatever floats your boat" mentality for me.  Not really my cup of tea, but to each their own!  I know for a fact that people judge what I wear ROTFLMAO.gif

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#27 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 03:30 PM

I find I don't care about those shirts, unless my children are wearing them.  My son has a collection of somewhat-to-very offensive tshirts that his fraternity produces, and I have asked him not to wear the most offensive of them in my presence.  My daughter, generally modest in all things, wore a tshirt the other day with "Dublin Your Fun" right over her breasts.  A cute tshirt -on someone else!

#28 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post

I've heard of the band, but I didn't know it had another meaning.  I had to look it up.  bag.gif

I had to look it up too.  Perhaps not a common term?bag.gif

Anyway, for things that are clearly obvious, or are going to require explaining to my kids, like M-F'er being actually spelled out on the shirt or having to explain to a 5 year old what "I'm Horney" means, those kinda bug me.

But the Circle Jerks one...honestly, that probably wouldn't bug me.  Easily explainable if asked "It's a band" and no one is scarred for life. 

#29 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post

Exactly how I feel.  Nice to have it on there like a name tag but only bigger. 

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#30 of 133 Old 03-18-2011, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Those sort of shirts certainly say something to me about the person wearing them. And it's rarely a positive judgement.

As far as being offended, it depends what the shirt says. Some of them are funny. I am rarely offended but  there was a shirt recently getting a lot of publicity in Australia which I found offensive. It had a photo of a bound, distressed-looking woman and the slogan "Relax, it's just sex." or something similar. IMO there is no place in society for anything which normalises assault. And  I can't imgine having any time at all for a person who chose to wear such a shirt.                                            

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page