Pain in childbirth - do you believe it is 'punishment'? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2011, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

You know, you can't get goldfish crackers in New Zealand? I've never seen one. I'll have to add them to my list of "weird American foods to try when we visit LA"... so far I have Twinkies, Cool Whip, marshmallow creme, Cheez Whiz, Grade B maple syrup and jambalayas... and I had Reese's Pieces and Doritos, but you can get both of those here now, so the glamour is gone. (Especially after reading the package for the Doritos.)

OK, now I have read all 8 pages. I find it highly amusing that this particular turn in the convo comes after such passionate discussion on your part about how terribly abusive we are about our bodies. innocent.gif. (Which point I am in complete agreement with, btw)

Add root beer to your list.

Also try something that you *think* you know. Like Orangina. Yummy in Europe, but made with HFCS here just for the American market. Revolting. And bread. And order 'Chinese food' in a cheap restaurant. Boggles the mind. Oh, and Spaghettios with 'meatballs'. I never realized that you could make an extreme adventure holiday of American gastronomy, but there you are.

Gwen , partner to D ; Mamma to T (6) , J (4) , and baby P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBEmomma View Post

I read that and thought it said parasites. I was thinking "why would you want authentic Mexican parasites". yummy.gif

You can get those here, too lol.gif.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

Darnit, MD, now I am going to have that Goldfish jingle in my head all night long. Blast!!! goldfish.gif

ETA: awesome little crackers, zinemama!

And Smokering, I can't believe you don't have Cool Whip in NZ. That is crazy! What do you put on your Jello??!!

I'm not in NZ, and we do have Cool Whip...but on the rare occasions that I eat Jell-O, I put whipped cream on it. I think Cool Whip is nasty. (That's okay, though - lots of people think Miracle Whip is nasty, too, and I love it.)

Smokering: Maple syrup is wonderful, but I'm not sure what "Grade B" means. I don't mind goldfish crackers (only the plain and cheddar ones, though - the others are yucky), and I've been semi-addicted to Reese's Pieces since I was about 12. But, I find everything else on your list really icky. If they don't have Twinkies, Cool Whip or marshmallow creme in NZ, I've found a potential reason to move there.

I have to admit that I've found grocery shopping in the US (I've only done it in Knoxville, mind you) to be a somewhat surreal experience. They had about twice as much frozen food, as a percentage of the store's total stock, than I've ever seen here. And, I saw products I'd never seen before - green and red frozen french fries (tomato/ketchup and apple flavoured, I think) come to mind. I'm horrified enough that we have Grapples in our produce section.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaG View Post

Also try something that you *think* you know. Like Orangina. Yummy in Europe, but made with HFCS here just for the American market. Revolting. And bread. And order 'Chinese food' in a cheap restaurant. Boggles the mind. Oh, and Spaghettios with 'meatballs'. I never realized that you could make an extreme adventure holiday of American gastronomy, but there you are.

Oh no, poor Smokering is going to go home with a horribly twisted idea of what constitutes American cuisine. grossedout.gif

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 04-04-2011, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
OK, now I have read all 8 pages. I find it highly amusing that this particular turn in the convo comes after such passionate discussion on your part about how terribly abusive we are about our bodies. innocent.gif. (Which point I am in complete agreement with, btw)

I know, right? :p In my defense, it'll only be token abuse... like, just one Cheez-It. Only it seems kinda silly to buy a whole packet, in that case. What do you think the average Los Angeles citizen would say to a baby-wearing foreign redhead running after him saying "Please can I try just one of your Cheez-Its? I've never seen one before!"?

Quote:
Add root beer to your list.

My parents (who lived in the US for three years - I was born there, in fact!) always said that American bread tasted weirdly sweet, like cake. And I've heard that Coke tastes better in NZ - the HFCS issue again, I think - but I think it's vile to begin with, so I won't test that one.

We don't have Spaghetti-Os here either, as far as I know.... I wonder if there's an internet master list somewhere of US foods you can't get in NZ?

Quote:
Smokering: Maple syrup is wonderful, but I'm not sure what "Grade B" means.

Apparently it comes in two grades. Grade A is sort of light and delicately flavoured, and usually sold for pancake toppings. (We get Steeves brand here - for a while our supermarket was selling this awesome twice-as-thick stuff, but they stopped. Boo.) Grade B is darker and more mapley and is used in baking, because the maple flavour comes through more strongly. Or so I hear - I think David Lebovitz mentioned it on his blog once. (He's an American chef who now lives in Paris.)

Anyway, if it exists, it sounds awesome! I'd like to try making maple-walnut ice cream, and it could use a hardier flavour - I've cooked and baked occasionally with maple syrup, but I find the flavour tends to disappear. Plus, it's expensive! Dad went to Canada once and brought home maple sugar, which is also an unknown element here and may have been the most delicious thing I've ever tasted. Hopefully you can get it in the US... right?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

So smokering what are some NZ foods (the good and the bad) that we probably dont get in the US.

however i will say we DO get swedish salty black licorice here. yummy.gif THANK YOU 'specialty' store for existing in my city so i can get some without constantly drooling over them after i heard about them here. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 04-05-2011, 12:42 AM

Well, I'm not entirely sure what you guys can't get! But when my parents were living there... admittedly, 25 years ago! ... they said they couldn't buy meat pies or lamingtons. Lamingtons are squares of sponge cake that have been dipped in a runny chocolate or raspberry icing, then rolled in desiccated coconut, and split and filled with cream. I think they're Australian originally, but all the bakeries have 'em here. Meat pies are... well, meat pies.

I've also heard a rumour that fish and chip shops don't exist in the USA! In NZ they're generally sordid-looking, greasy places hiding in residential areas next to small mini-marts and abandoned hairdressers'; often owned by Asians and selling Asian food (in Australia they tend to be owned by Greeks, but still sell Asian food - go figure!). Occasionally a clean, shiny, "classy" fish and chip shop will open up, and usually close down again very promptly because nobody goes there. :p You get hot chips, battered fish, battered mussels, pineapple fritters, battered sausages ("Kiwi hot dogs" - they're vile)... battered pretty much anything, in fact, including deep fried Moro bars (wrapped in bread, dipped in batter and then fried)... occasionally burgers of dubious quality, won tons, this and that. They pop everything in a basket, deep-fry it, tip it out onto newspaper, pile salt on top, wrap it up and you have a hot, cheap, greasy meal. In NZ people dip the chips and everything else in tomato sauce; in Australia we'd dip them in vinegar, or the shops would provide you with a few slices of lemon to squeeze over the top.

It's all a tad revolting, but uniquely delicious in its own way, and being brought up on the stuff I crave it like nothing else in the winter. DH's parents were somewhat less slack about nutrition, and he rightly thinks fish and chips are greasy and vile, so I don't get them very often. *sigh*

What else? Cherry Ripes and Vegemite are both Australian, but available here. I once sent some Vegemite to a friend in the USA; he opened the tin, sniffed it and promptly stuffed it in the back of a drawer, where it remained until I rang up some months later and demanded he try it. I heard the most fantastic retching, gargling, spluttering sounds on the other end of the line for some time before his mother came on, giggling, to tell me he'd tasted it. :p

So, yeah. NZ isn't exactly famous for its cuisine, but it's slowly getting more multicultural at least - 15 years ago things like sushi and pesto and cappuccinos were relatively unheard of. My sister lives in London, and she does say NZ meat is considered very haute cuisine over there (probably because it's grass-fed); so there's that, I guess!

Old 04-05-2011, 04:06 AM

Quote:

cannot buy meat pies or lamingtons.

nod.gif HOWEVER that description of lamingtons sound v. close to twinkies grossedout.gif vile things. close to a particular type of twinkies or was it hostess cakes.

Meat pies are... well, meat pies.

you are right. no meat pies angry.gif

I've also heard a rumour that fish and chip shops don't exist in the USA! In NZ they're generally sordid-looking, greasy places hiding in residential areas next to small mini-marts and abandoned hairdressers';

eat.gif in california they do. in the same kinda area with scratched up greasy formica tables. they do exist but just a few. they make this unique batter they dip fish (usually sea bass) i think you can get different types of fish too, shrimp and yes veggies. like zucchini and carrots. 

In NZ people dip the chips and everything else in tomato sauce;

horrors.gifthey do that here too. in everything. 

in Australia we'd dip them in vinegar, or the shops would provide you with a few slices of lemon to squeeze over the top.

yes that is that here too. but i dont think its that stinky a vinegar.

another favourite here that i recently discovered is - a sister to ketchup - ranch dressing. its used as a dip in everything. i couldnt handle french bread dipped in it, however good crisp french fries lightly coated with black pepper and then dipped in ranch Sheepish.gif mmmm

oooh one more thing when you are in LA. a staple of any american bbq and any get together - the HOT DOG. cold.gif for adults they have links. polish dogs. look for dog carts in LA. you can find all sorts. they are good. but those hot dogs? terrible. you will find (i think) little 'dog cafes' with a tonne of dog/links to offer and many different kinds of toppings. while the US has not happily adopted the stinky vinegar from fish and chips stores... they do have their unparalleled pickle. lots of different kinds. people seem to have a love hate relation with them. no inbetween. 

What else? Cherry Ripes and Vegemite are both Australian,

here we tend to pile on things. ask for a quintessential club sandwich and you will see. or more a staple - a BLT sandwich. peanut butter? pile ON. so the concept that you apply just a tad of vegemite on hot buttered toast might get your friend to change his mind (xfil loved that stuff). gosh but just a lick with a spoon - YUKH!!!! 

So, yeah. NZ isn't exactly famous for its cuisine, but it's slowly getting more multicultural at least - 15 years ago things like sushi and pesto and cappuccinos were relatively unheard of. My sister lives in London, and she does say NZ meat is considered very haute cuisine over there (probably because it's grass-fed); so there's that, I guess!

i grew up in asia. we LOOOOOOOOVED NZ cheese AND butter eat.gif yeah i would agree the same here. 

oh yeah when you come here - even if you dont go camping you gotta try smores dizzy.gif(i'm so not a dessert person) sweet graham crackers - honey or chocholate, with toasted marshmellow and chocolate in teh center. one of hte things that surprise me the most to see how sweet the food is here - even in an asian bakery - the stuffed buns have sweet terriyaki meat (i guess our closest version of meat patties - though you might find an insipid pasties shop somewhere). 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 04-05-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:

nod.gif HOWEVER that description of lamingtons sound v. close to twinkies grossedout.gif vile things. close to a particular type of twinkies or was it hostess cakes.

Heh. Well, I dunno, I've never seen a Twinkie up close, but you wouldn't package a lamington like that. They're fresh (theoretically, at least!); the sponge will only last a day or so if you make them yourself, which I have done on occasion. They're not vile, anyway! A bit dry if they're not made right, but a really good one is yummers. Here's a pic.

Actually that page mentions a few more Kiwi foods I'd forgotten. Do you get hokey pokey ice cream in the US? (Cookie dough ice cream is rare here; I here it's big over there.) I've never heard of "colonial goose", though; don't think anyone actually eats it.

Quote:
here we tend to pile on things. ask for a quintessential club sandwich and you will see. or more a staple - a BLT sandwich. peanut butter? pile ON. so the concept that you apply just a tad of vegemite on hot buttered toast might get your friend to change his mind (xfil loved that stuff). gosh but just a lick with a spoon - YUKH!!!!

Well, I did tell him to put just a tiny scrape on toast, but yeah, he might have been a bit generous. Honestly though, DD and I have both been known to suck it directly off the spoon. I really love it. ('S good for you, too! B vitamins and iron and all sorts of stuff - apparently if you're a recovering alcoholic you're meant to dissolve it in boiling water and drink it, which doesn't sound appealing, but would no doubt be nutritious.) Marmite on the other hand is sickly-sweet and gross.

I'm hoping to avoid CAFO meat when I come to the US. Do you think it's doable? I mean, I could go totally vegetarian, but I'd rather not. California's kind of hippie and foodie, right? Do you think I'll be able to find the odd place that serves grass-fed meat? (Probably nixes most hot-dog stands... and the turkey legs and corn dogs at Disneyland, sadly - I've heard a lot about them! We don't have corn dogs here either.) I've heard Chipotle uses grass-fed/non-CAFO meat...

Old 04-05-2011, 04:19 PM

oooooooh smokering that looks DELICIOUS. THANK YOU For the recipe. now we will have to make that.

oh i was sooo mistaken. no no no. they are no where near the hostess or twinkies. those are VILE!!! lamingtons looks great. dd and i will have to make this now.

Look what i found. the key is copycat.  http://homecooking.about.com/od/cakerecipes/r/blc24.htm

will write more later. gotta run to class.

Quote:

Heh. Well, I dunno, I've never seen a Twinkie up close, but you wouldn't package a lamington like that. They're fresh (theoretically, at least!); the sponge will only last a day or so if you make them yourself, which I have done on occasion. They're not vile, anyway! A bit dry if they're not made right, but a really good one is yummers. Here's a pic.

User Tag List