The Afternoon Slump - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2011, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you have a mid-afternoon slump, where you suddenly find yourself exhausted for a time?  If you do, when is it, and can you prevent it?

I'm interested in knowing if there's something I can do to feel a little less blllllahhh mid-afternoon.  I try to eat some protein, but I don't know if that always helps.  The slump frequently kills my productivity during my son's naptime.  The middle of the afternoon often feels like the longest part of the day to me, too.

I'm Rach, full-time mama and part-time doula.  I love my city life with Mr. J stillheart.gif, Little J diaper.gif (05/03/10), and brand new Baby V love.gif (02/11/13)!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 07:30 PM

Wake up later!!  lol.gif  No seriously, I find that if I'm up and at 'em right away early in the morning, I get that slump around 3/4pm and need to lay down to rest in order to snap back.  But if I get up later in the morning and chill out for a bit, I tend to last it out a little longer.

Sorry I don't have any other advice.  With little ones, I'm often tired period.  Hope you find something that works.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Old 03-28-2011, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Long about 2pm I'll have a cup of tea or coffee.  thumb.gif

And yes, I totally know what you mean about the Afternoon Slump.  I could easily just go back to bed around 1:00.  Today I did doze on the couch for about 20 minutes. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Banned

Yep.  Right around 2 or so.  I find it isn't as frequent if I'm getting enough exercise.  Not necessarily at that time, in fact hardly at that time.  But exercise in general.  Sometimes eating some extra protein then helps too, but I find that it usually accumulates over a few days or so.  As in, I don't always notice a change that day but if I do it a few days in a row I'll start noticing it.  Sometimes I'll make myself a cup of hot black tea or iced black tea which helps too.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:50 PM

A few years ago I started eating my main daily meal at noon.  It really cured the afternoon slump for me.  I end up eating very lightly in the evening (maybe a snack) but after lunch I'm good to go for hours.  

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsCradle View Post

A few years ago I started eating my main daily meal at noon.  It really cured the afternoon slump for me.  I end up eating very lightly in the evening (maybe a snack) but after lunch I'm good to go for hours.  

This is so much better for your metabolism, too!  thumb.gif

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Old 03-28-2011, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

If I'm sitting around at about 2pm, I get soooo tired, it's a challenge just to keep my eyes open! But if we're out and about, I never notice a change in energy level around that time. So I've been trying to get us out of the house right after DS gets home from school (at 2:15), and it helps me get over that tired part of the day. 

That said, I think cultures with siestas have the right idea. In the U.S. we're expected to ignore those bodily cues and just achieve!excel!advance! all day long. Maybe I'll revolt and start taking a mid-afternoon catnap instead, and thumb my nose at people who think that's lazy. orngtongue.gif

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 03-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Banned

Dr James McKenna whom many of us admire says humans are not meant to sleep all in one go but siestas are natural. I refuse to feel bad about this feeling especially since I'm in lil baby cosleeping/hardly sleeping land.

That said, being out and about keeps me going. Like today I was up from four am so I ate lunch out after the park, then library. No slump. Yawning at four and dozing as I put dd to bed at eight. But that life right now.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I've heard people say that having a no-carb lunch helps. I'm currently pregnant, so nothing helps. I take a lot of naps. :p

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:08 AM

I find a carb-heavy lunch really gives me a slump period.

The other thing to check out is Adrenal Fatigue (afternoon slump is one of the key symptoms).

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

Old 03-29-2011, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

for me what helps is waking up earlier and getting some peace and quiet to myself. 

and then during the afternoon nap, i'd again take some peace and quiet - read a book, sit down with a glass of cold water, paint my nails. 

for me what tires me is the feeling of rush, rush, rush.

and if you give me a cup of coffee you better have a couch out for me. within an hour i am sleeping.gif coffee is my sleeping pill. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 03-29-2011, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Lately, I've found that I'll take it easy in the morning and then have an energetic period mid-afternoon just before the kids get home from school. I start all my housecleaning, baking, etc. then, as well as starting on dinner. I seem to get as much done, if not more, than if I try to get it all done earlier in the day. Since the kids are teens, they don't really need me after school, so it isn't really interfering with our activities. In fact, they'll often help out a little too if they see me vacuuming or cleaning or in the kitchen, so that's a bonus. 

I prefer to get chores done in the morning and enjoy the afternoon, but for some reason I've fallen into the opposite pattern and it works too. If it's possible, perhaps you can try to rest a little more in the morning or take care of less energy-demanding tasks, have a protein-packed lunch and see if your energy lasts a little longer in the afternoon. 

BTW, if you are still getting up in the night with your wee one, I think it's pretty normal to need an afternoon siesta too. I don't think you can routinely interrupt your night's sleeping without needing some recovery rest period at some point during the day. 

Old 03-29-2011, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thandiwe View Post

This is so much better for your metabolism, too!  thumb.gif

I've been getting this impression, too. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:33 AM

I'm only home a couple of afternoons a week but when I am and it hits, I nap. I'll admit to loving a nap.  I feel so good when I wake up.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
When the kids were small, I'd nap with them on the big bed.
Now that I have to cart teens around.. I find I rely on the magic of the red bottle (Coca Cola)joy.gif
Old 03-29-2011, 12:55 PM

Oh Rach, my whole life is one big afternoon slump, LOL!! Fresh air helps, caffeine helps... maybe you are low on iron? I am always vegging out during naptime and getting nothing done.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 03-29-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

That said, I think cultures with siestas have the right idea. In the U.S. we're expected to ignore those bodily cues and just achieve!excel!advance! all day long. Maybe I'll revolt and start taking a mid-afternoon catnap instead, and thumb my nose at people who think that's lazy. orngtongue.gif

I love this!!!

Maybe I should hide a cot under my desk, and then just close my office door at 2:00 pm and take a nap.

Oh...it's 2:00 pm right now....and how am I dealing with the slump? I am on MDC, of course. It's not a nap, but at least it's not work. winky.gif

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

Old 03-29-2011, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

Oh Rach, my whole life is one big afternoon slump, LOL!! Fresh air helps, caffeine helps... maybe you are low on iron? I am always vegging out during naptime and getting nothing done.

Haha Tracy, not true!  You are just beautifully pregnant with two littles to boot...enjoy those naps!

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds myself longing for an afternoon nap.  Honestly, I do often give into those feelings and cuddle up with my babe.  But then I kind of kick myself for not using those precious minutes for other things.  Oh well...how can it really be wrong to neglect laundry and work in favor of extra sleepy baby cuddles? :)

I'm Rach, full-time mama and part-time doula.  I love my city life with Mr. J stillheart.gif, Little J diaper.gif (05/03/10), and brand new Baby V love.gif (02/11/13)!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

BTW, if you are still getting up in the night with your wee one, I think it's pretty normal to need an afternoon siesta too. I don't think you can routinely interrupt your night's sleeping without needing some recovery rest period at some point during the day. 

But if only my 4yo would take a nap then, too! Maybe it's a function of already being behind in the sleep department from DD;s babyhood, but I am truly amazed that I have been able to get by without napping up to this point with DS (10mo), who is waking a lot lately at night.

When it's not snowing around here (Cuss.gif), I've found the best way to fight the slump is to Ergo up the baby and go for a walk while my daughter rides her scooter, even if we only go around the block. Around the block for us involves two seriously steep hills. The fresh air, different lighting, peek at the finally melted lake, and increased heart rate all work their magic.

Lovin' my four-pack: M, S, a different M, and sleepytime.gif me.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Caffeine, in any form I can get it. shy.gif Back when I had one child and not many pressing things to do, I'd take a nap many days with her. That no longer is a option with 2-3+ children. I get the one down that is still napping, and frantically try to prep dinner for later, clean, or work for a bit, wake up sleeping child and then dash off to do the whole school pick up/activity thing. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Caffeine, in any form I can get it. shy.gif Back when I had one child and not many pressing things to do, I'd take a nap many days with her. That no longer is a option with 2-3+ children.

Two to three plus? Sweetie, how many do you have? 'Cause if you're not sure to a fairly specific number, you should probably ditch the caffeine. bow2.gif

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Two to three plus? Sweetie, how many do you have? 'Cause if you're not sure to a fairly specific number, you should probably ditch the caffeine. bow2.gif

biglaugh.gif

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 04-01-2011, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

LOL. Just depending on the day and who is at home, it can vary! I have 3 children now, school aged to toddler, and one more coming this summer. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:

And I found that eating my main meal around or just before slump-time really helped me. I eat a snack around 11:30 or 12 and then eat lunch at 2:30. That helps keep me going til dinner.

I also found that getting outside really helped with the slump. Going for a quick walk, or even just taking a cup of tea out on the porch helps a lot.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmum View Post

I find a carb-heavy lunch really gives me a slump period.

The other thing to check out is Adrenal Fatigue (afternoon slump is one of the key symptoms).

This. If I eat lunch at the university cafeteria (full of carbs and artificial fats) I pretty much feel like falling over in the afternoon. Caffeine helps then, but I don't see that as healthy over the long term. Eating a proteiny lunch with real fat, even if it includes carbs, leaves me relatively energetic.

I also think the adrenal fatigue thing might be worth checking out. When I was younger and abusing my adrenals/kidneys (in TCM they go together) a lot more I would *always* be exhausted in the afternoon. Now I have been living a healthier lifestyle for a few years and I don't really have huge issues with an afternoon slump anymore. In fact, I'm even pregnant now and still get less slumpy than I did. If I had to list the things that have helped me rebuild myself they would be: nettle infusion, less alcohol, less caffeine, more exercise (outside if possible), eating real fats (butter instead of margarine, etc.), eating less or no sugar and refined carbs, and taking a multivitamin when I felt I was depleted (I since stopped - but it does wonders when your reserves are low). 

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post

This. If I eat lunch at the university cafeteria (full of carbs and artificial fats) I pretty much feel like falling over in the afternoon. Caffeine helps then, but I don't see that as healthy over the long term. Eating a proteiny lunch with real fat, even if it includes carbs, leaves me relatively energetic.

I also think the adrenal fatigue thing might be worth checking out. When I was younger and abusing my adrenals/kidneys (in TCM they go together) a lot more I would *always* be exhausted in the afternoon. Now I have been living a healthier lifestyle for a few years and I don't really have huge issues with an afternoon slump anymore. In fact, I'm even pregnant now and still get less slumpy than I did. If I had to list the things that have helped me rebuild myself they would be: nettle infusion, less alcohol, less caffeine, more exercise (outside if possible), eating real fats (butter instead of margarine, etc.), eating less or no sugar and refined carbs, and taking a multivitamin when I felt I was depleted (I since stopped - but it does wonders when your reserves are low). 

I'm sure all that stuff helps, but I just can't help but wonder, still, about siesta cultures. Surely the populations of those entire nations aren't suffering from adrenal fatigue? I mean, you can do the scores of things people have listed in this thread to battle the afternoon slump, or you can take a 15 minute nap. I realize that, for most people, a nap isn't doable with the way our society is set up, but I just can't bring myself to believe that an energy-dip in the afternoon is a detriment/symptom/failure when many many cultures acknowledge it and simply build a period of rest into their day to accommodate it. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 04-02-2011, 06:05 PM

I give in to it. Not for a long time, but I do allow myself a 'break.' Usually it means sitting down and folding laundry while watching something on Netflix. 

Old 04-03-2011, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

I'm sure all that stuff helps, but I just can't help but wonder, still, about siesta cultures. Surely the populations of those entire nations aren't suffering from adrenal fatigue? I mean, you can do the scores of things people have listed in this thread to battle the afternoon slump, or you can take a 15 minute nap. I realize that, for most people, a nap isn't doable with the way our society is set up, but I just can't bring myself to believe that an energy-dip in the afternoon is a detriment/symptom/failure when many many cultures acknowledge it and simply build a period of rest into their day to accommodate it. 

Well, I agree with you. But I think an energy dip that is cured by a 15 minute nap, or requires a couple hours of quiet time, is very different from the deathly feeling of lethargy that I used to get an hour or two after lunch and that would disappear by dinner time. It simply did not feel healthy. That is what I assumed the OP was referring to by the afternoon slump. It's not that my energy levels are perfectly stable all day long now, but if I do have an energy dip it is manageable and moderate as opposed to disabling or miserable. 

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

I think I'm more in the first category.  A couple hours of quiet, relatively still time helps, even if I don't get to sleep.  And I think night waking definitely plays a big part.  Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.... I'm going to focus on getting more protein at lunch rather than dinner, which is usually protein-packed for my meat-loving husband.

And sometimes...I'll just give in.  I won't be able to curl up with my sweet napping baby forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post

Well, I agree with you. But I think an energy dip that is cured by a 15 minute nap, or requires a couple hours of quiet time, is very different from the deathly feeling of lethargy that I used to get an hour or two after lunch and that would disappear by dinner time. It simply did not feel healthy. That is what I assumed the OP was referring to by the afternoon slump. It's not that my energy levels are perfectly stable all day long now, but if I do have an energy dip it is manageable and moderate as opposed to disabling or miserable. 

Old 04-03-2011, 09:25 AM

if i had a good nights sleep the night before, a coffee around 2 pm usually does the trick. I would think that when I actually start working out more then I will not need that coffee... I hope

User Tag List