Um... that was the weirdest thing ever. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2011, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just heard something HONKING on my front porch, so I went & looked out the glass in my front door, and there was a PEACOCK on my front porch.  Like, a giant, full-sized peacock.  How does that happen exactly?  LOL.  We live out in the country right across from a big lake -- do those things run free in the wilderness (aka suburbs)?  lol.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Lots of people in my town have peacocks that run free.  My town is about 100k people, and about 70 miles from the nearest big city...I guess it's a burb of sorts.

We have the usual gorgeous blue ones and even some all white ones which are so pretty!

Bring back the old MDC
Old 04-12-2011, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

A friend just told me that they symbolize love, devotion, and good luck.  I'll take it!  I wonder if I fed it bread, would it be our pet forever?  haha.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post

A friend just told me that they symbolize love, devotion, and good luck.  I'll take it!  I wonder if I fed it bread, would it be our pet forever?  haha.

Yes! A good friend of mine has a pet peacock. Lol she just started coming around and my friend fed her...she's been there for years now.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:00 AM

My son's BFF has peacocks and male is the funniest thing in world.  It wakes up and "knocks" on the door for snacks.  Every morning! They can't leave the screen door open or he comes in and perches on the back of the couch. He is very protective of the kids and will block strangers from getting too close.

If you do feed him he will keep coming back.  Their peacock travels the neighborhood in search of snacks.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

Old 04-12-2011, 09:18 AM

We used to live across the street from a Zoo.  The peacocks loved to come to our yard to eat the Oak seed whirlybirds. Sometimes they would wander up onto our front porch.  Our cat was NOT a fan!  Poor guy! 

Old 04-12-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

My son's BFF has peacocks and male is the funniest thing in world.  It wakes up and "knocks" on the door for snacks.  Every morning! They can't leave the screen door open or he comes in and perches on the back of the couch. He is very protective of the kids and will block strangers from getting too close.

If you do feed him he will keep coming back.  Their peacock travels the neighborhood in search of snacks.

Legend is that they were used like guard dogs in old-y times. 

I would love to have peacocks.   I think they are so cool.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 04-12-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

I think they're kinda creepy.  bag.gif   I'm not a big fan of birds in general, especially gigantic ones that are nearly half as tall as me & HONK.  Geez.  But they are really pretty, and the kids would love having them around.  I think I'm going to put out birdseed & cracked corn and see what happens.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Wow, cool! Our tiny local zoo has peacocks that roam free. I love the ahhh-AHHH! sound they make, but it would completely disorient me to hear that noise coming from my front porch! lol.gif

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 04-12-2011, 11:52 AM

Very neat, I love them!  There is a lady around here who keeps them and they roam around.  Much better than cats roaming around IMO.  Although people's cats do too.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

Old 04-12-2011, 12:10 PM

Wow that is very cool. I'd take a peacock over the crows we have in our yard anyday!

Rhianna

Old 04-12-2011, 12:23 PM

We have peacocks.They are goofy and fun to watch and will peck the bugs off the front of your car for you! They also loooove to look at themselves and have discovered "the peacocks" in our sliding glass door, so they spend a lot of time admiring themselves there. 

DD: I'm bored and want to play Me: What about me? I can play. DD: No thanks, I mean a real person.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:27 PM

Yep, we had them too when I lived out west.  I remember the 2nd day I was there, I walked outside and almost fainted when I saw a big, beautiful peacock strutting around our yard!!  I ran back into the house to get the camera and my roommate just laughed and said that there was not point in taking a picture because they are everywhere.  Crazy!!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 04-13-2011, 02:20 PM

Yeah, the US does have a feral peafowl (peacock is male orngtongue.gif) population. Or it could just be someone's pet got loose.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 04-13-2011, 03:02 PM

My mom has them roaming around her house. I think they sound like screaming women. The huge pack of wild turkeys are worse...
Old 04-13-2011, 05:04 PM

The hospital my mum was at last had a peacock who lived in the gardens there. Such a beautiful bird for people to watch! I'd love to have one visit.

Ruth, mum to B (9), P (8) and T (5)

Old 04-13-2011, 07:16 PM

My apartment complex has peacocks.  They are walking on my roof, sitting on my deck, and sitting on the porch outside my door as I type.  They sleep in the Redwood trees that overhang my deck.   I brush past their feathers on my way to my car, feed them Kashi cereal out of my hand, pet their babies, etc all the time!  I have been living here for eight years and they have been here longer than that.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:

Good luck? Not if you keep the feathers in the house. That's meant to invite illness and death into the home. The Victorians and Elizabethans believed that (and presumably everyone in between!) - not sure where the superstition originated, but hey - you have been warned. goodvibes.gif  <-- woo-woo vibes

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Good luck? Not if you keep the feathers in the house. That's meant to invite illness and death into the home. The Victorians and Elizabethans believed that (and presumably everyone in between!) - not sure where the superstition originated, but hey - you have been warned. goodvibes.gif  <-- woo-woo vibes

We've had peacock feathers in the house for years... People who live hear are healthy and living.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 04-13-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:

I just heard something HONKING on my front porch, so I went & looked out the glass in my front door, and there was a PEACOCK on my front porch.  Like, a giant, full-sized peacock.  How does that happen exactly?  LOL.  We live out in the country right across from a big lake -- do those things run free in the wilderness (aka suburbs)?  lol.gif

I don't know how often one finds them running free, but that's an AWESOME story. I love peacocks!

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:19 PM

There used to be a beautiful peacock that lived on Ft. Lewis. He'd just wander around, being pretty. I loved seeing him!

They are kind of loud, though. Not sure I'd want one living near my house.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:

Depends on which culture you want to follow. In south asia yes they are all that. 

in native american modern legend they are quite the opposite. 

makes sense. because it is a non native very aggressive bird that destroys local habitat esp agricultural land and destroy anything shiny. they are a nuisance in south asia and here they are kept under strict control for the damage they are doing to native species here in the US.

they were brought to california for rattlers as they are great at keeping the snakes under check. unfortunately they dont really have any enemies and so their population is having a detrimental effect on other species.

however i have to agree they are AMAZINGLY beautiful birds. when we lived out in the country our neighbors had them and they are breathtaking. 

their voice carries for miles (though i've heard them more in south asia than here - they are like roosters there).

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

User Tag List