"They all are." - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-14-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My grandma uses this phrase.  Whenever she says something nice about one of her (eight) great grandchildren, she always follows up with "they all are." 

Example:  My daughter rocked out on a standardized test.  Grandma says "C is so smart!  They all are!"  My nephew is a really affectionate five year old--he wants nothing more than a lap to sit in.  He gives an inordinate number of hugs and kisses.  Grandma says "D is so sweet!  They all are."  (my own son is a lot of things, and "sweet" in his own way, but "sweet" like his cousin...not so much!)

I thought this was something peculiar to Grandma.  She's big on fairness and equality...but then one of the characters in a book I'm reading used the same phrase in the same context, and I started wondering if it was a cultural thing I hadn't noticed.

I wanted to take a poll at the playground today (y'know, just asking strangers,) but I was afraid people would think I was weird, so I didn't.  MDC is the next best (or maybe better!) thing.

So, tell me!  Have you ever heard anyone use "they all are" in this context?

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#2 of 21 Old 04-14-2011, 09:19 PM

Nope, never. It's cute though.
#3 of 21 Old 04-14-2011, 09:34 PM

YES! I have heard this from multiple people throughout my life..my DH's grandmother does this currently in reference to her great grandkids as well.

I kind of think it takes away from the accomplishment of the child who did xyz sometimes, but I do understand wanting to say nice things about everybody in the interest of not playing favorites.

#4 of 21 Old 04-14-2011, 09:48 PM

My grandma does.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#5 of 21 Old 04-14-2011, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmom View Post

I kind of think it takes away from the accomplishment of the child who did xyz sometimes, but I do understand wanting to say nice things about everybody in the interest of not playing favorites.

Oh, totally!  It doesn't bug me at all to hear my grandma say how smart all of the kids are...but when she starts in with how athletic they all are, or how outgoing they all are, or how sweet they all are...geez!  If my son had a theme song, it would be "I always have to steal my kisses from you!" 

Sometimes it's like I'm 13 again--I have to hold on tight to my eyeballs, lest they roll on their own accord!

I would never correct her, though!  I do appreciate the sentiment!

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#6 of 21 Old 04-14-2011, 10:02 PM

Sweetness is not really something that goes against "they all are" though. There are no real requirements to being "sweet" when your a young child. 

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#7 of 21 Old 04-14-2011, 10:14 PM

My dh's grandma says this. I think it's sweet. I also don't think she's just trying to be fair. I think she honestly believes they're all that great!

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#8 of 21 Old 04-14-2011, 10:15 PM

Oh, yeah. I've heard this my whole life. What a cute little phrase! I wonder if I'll start saying it some day. Hmph, I wonder if I do already. headscratch.gifthumb.gif

Perpetually TTC #1.  Let's go, Lightning!
#9 of 21 Old 04-14-2011, 11:43 PM

I can see where it takes away a bit from the accomplishment of the child you are talking about originally.  But better than her saying "ya, the rest of them are dumb as stumps". 

#10 of 21 Old 04-15-2011, 12:37 AM

Besides, if she's anything like my grandmother... All her grandkids are perfect. My bio mom's mother still thinks I'm sooo athletic, even though she could out do me in any sport despite not being able to get out of bed most days. She also believes my kids are perfect and going to superstar, hockey playing, prime ministers someday.

doubledutch likes this.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#11 of 21 Old 04-15-2011, 06:17 AM

My dad is the same way.  My dd is the cutest, my sister's dd is the cutest, my ds is the smartest, her ds is the smartest....bla bla bla.  It's cute, he really believes these kids are perfect!  It's funny though, whenever I crab about ds and his behavior/school work/whatever he defends him like a lawyer :)

#12 of 21 Old 04-15-2011, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

i see its all gparents doing it. 

i think its an age thing. i have noticed this with my aging mil. she speaks about her outlook on life and i noticed how open minded she has gotten. or should i say how she is much more acceptable to things she is which she wasnt earlier on. 

i dont think your gma means 'they all are smart' or they all are cute. i think she means C is smart, but they all have something special about them'.

i notice the same thing happening to me. as i grow older the individual differences kinda merge into one big thing. there is something unique about everyone of them. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#13 of 21 Old 04-15-2011, 08:00 AM

That's so cute!  I wish my grandma acted like that.  She is more the type of person to say "C is a lazy bum.  They all are!"  LOL.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#14 of 21 Old 04-15-2011, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

It's a sweet sentiment, but I can see thinking, "Say what?" at some of them. I mean, it's not like she could say, "Wow, Mary is so tall! They all are." wink1.gif

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#15 of 21 Old 04-16-2011, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Limabean: Exactly. I was thinking before that Mum never said that, but it was probably because she had six kids and was scrupulously honest. So she would have had to say "DD2's so good at crafts! They all are... well, except for DD1 and DD4". Or "DD6 is such a great singer. They all are, except for DD2 who can't carry a tune". :p Probably not quite the vibe the phrase is meant to convey!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#16 of 21 Old 04-17-2011, 04:47 AM

My grandmother does this too. She is very careful to have everything equal between her kids/grand children/great grandchildren. Really really careful. lol.gif

#17 of 21 Old 04-18-2011, 03:47 PM

According to my father, his grandchildren are all the best, brightest, sweetest....anything  with an est on the end. Its his reward for not strangling us all so let him have it.

Also, he picks them up, takes them to  breakfast  or lunch (they can order breakfast though if they want!!) and then a trip to a toy store or book store etc. Then playtime at their house. Stocks his house with all kinds of treats.

I dont know these people, they were not my parents. They people who look like my parents must be stand ins from another planet or something. Dont remember ANY of this growing up!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#18 of 21 Old 04-19-2011, 07:14 PM

wait, do you mean the sentiment of fairness and equality among grandchildren, or do you mean the specific phrasing of "They all are."?

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#19 of 21 Old 04-23-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post

According to my father, his grandchildren are all the best, brightest, sweetest....anything  with an est on the end. Its his reward for not strangling us all so let him have it.

Also, he picks them up, takes them to  breakfast  or lunch (they can order breakfast though if they want!!) and then a trip to a toy store or book store etc. Then playtime at their house. Stocks his house with all kinds of treats.

I dont know these people, they were not my parents. They people who look like my parents must be stand ins from another planet or something. Dont remember ANY of this growing up!

LOL!  If I lived closer to my parents, this would be them.  They think DS is the best, cutest, brightest (my dad was calling DS "advanced" at the ripe old age of 6 DAYS - I'm not sure I know any 6 DAY old babies who are "advanced" but apparently my dad saw it!), smartest, fastest, you name it, and its a good thing, and thats what DS is.  My dad doesn't have any other grandkids at the moment, but when he has more, you bet they'll be just as great as DS.  It's pretty funny.

#20 of 21 Old 04-23-2011, 08:25 PM

My Mm - who has 5 grandchildren...has often said it....My MIL - who has only ONE grandchild...has never said it.....hmmmmm  there seems to be a pattern emerging!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#21 of 21 Old 04-24-2011, 04:57 AM

Awww you are lucky to have such a loving family. I absolutely LOVE this kind of sentiment. I really do. Its like the person loves all his/her littlies so much she/he has to give a shout out to them everytime something nice happens. Thats rad.

abiyhayil and Mulvah like this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page