Secular or nature based Easter celebrations? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemma04 View Post

Limette what type of chicken is in your avatar pic? I like it!

Easter Egger. This is what he looks like now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 11:25 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We do secular natural, semi-Waldorf looking if that gives you any idea. Kids get nice reusable wooden baskets with some real grass we grow. Some natural toys and art supplies. A small piece of good quality chocolate. At least one thing I've made them. I try to get something off etsy as well. I also include some books that have natural elements/spring/new life/gardening.

We dye eye with kits (a bazillion times =) but also do it once with natural dyes we make. Do something with the "garden" i.e the patio or a hike in the mountains or something. Decorate with some fresh flowers or a plant. Big dinner.

Weirdly, my family super religous Christian but we didn't celebrate Easter because it was of its pagan roots and too commercial but my mom always missed it so she snuck in dinner, new dresses with hats, and a bunny but we couldn't *call* it Easter. As a result, I don't have any really traditions to fall back on. But I am not religous now but I like toys and holidays and so this is the best we can do. DH was raised Jewish, is non-religous, we vaguely celebrate Passover. He likes Easter because I make him Eggs Benedict and it his excuse to cook a fresh ham.

I've never heard of Zombie Day before but I think it is hilarious. But no, I wouldn't celebrate a holidy that is essentially mocking someone else's beliefs.I can totally see celebrating it with an older child, on a slightly different day.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Banned

We will be painting some terra cotta pots and the kids will get flowers to plant in them in their easter baskets. We will be dying eggs and probably playing "upper", a ridiculous family game that is a lot of fun. We might make paper flowers or a spring wreath to hang on our door. I will definitely be making a brioche in a circle shape and dusting it with colored sugars.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:45 AM

You know, I never reflected on Zombie Day.  It was just an idea that we rolled with.  I won't stop it without agreement with my children, because it is family fun and gives us something to do with left over Halloween candy.  However, I do think I will discuss with my children about being respectful to other religions.  This will be complicated because other religions are not respectful to our belief.  We are quite with our opinions, however others are more willing to tell us we will be going to hell.  They know the idea of Easter was borrowed from Pegan religions by Christians.  

Old 04-21-2011, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

That is the rough part - knowing that behaving in the right way is never a guarantee that teh respect will be reciprocated. My kids have that conversation with us all the time and is one of the more challenging aspects of moral and ethical development, in my opinion - doing what is right just because it is right and not because it will get me something in return. My younger dd struggles with this but is finding her way. She has some bullies in her class at school and she is learning how to be respectful even when she can't stand them and when they are never respectful in return. At the end of the day she feels better about herself for doing the right thing and not continuing the problem. By doing this she has also come to learn that their behaviour really isn;' her fault (reagrdless of what they try to tell her) and she has matured by leaps and bounds.

I just don't want other people to determine my behaviour. If they want to be rude, disrespectful and bigoted, that is there business. I don't have to stoop to their level.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:38 AM

Well darn, it won't let me quote.  

This thread challenged my thinking.  I do think I should challenge my kids, but I think doing this a few days/week before Zombie day/Easter would do more harm than good.  Changing ideas and thinking is best to have everyone on board.  Slow verse, fast when we are, IMO, not talking about something "serious" enough to be affecting others.  Planting seeds to get my kids to think then talk, and think more will make them change their views more effectively than a blunt declaration.  ***

***However, I would use blunt declaration at other times.  This time I just think slow is better. 

Old 04-21-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom View Post

You know, I never reflected on Zombie Day.  It was just an idea that we rolled with.  I won't stop it without agreement with my children, because it is family fun and gives us something to do with left over Halloween candy.  However, I do think I will discuss with my children about being respectful to other religions.  This will be complicated because other religions are not respectful to our belief.  We are quite with our opinions, however others are more willing to tell us we will be going to hell.  They know the idea of Easter was borrowed from Pegan religions by Christians.  

i can relate to that.  i've asked my kids not to tell other kids santa is dead (a conclusion they reached based on me explaining about st nicholas as a person who lived a long time ago), because it's upsetting to other kids and we want to be respectful of their beliefs (like, that santa is real/living).  of course, they countered that people need to be respectful of *their* beliefs . . . but we all agreed that it really doesn't hurt us or threaten the way we see it to have someone else believe in santa.  really.  and it's fun to pretend along with them, anyway.

(now yesterday they were telling kids the easter bunny is dead, so i guess the conversation didn't stick, lol, but they are very young.)

i also like shantimama's comments.  we treat others with respect not so they will reciprocate, but because we think it's the right way for us to behave.  the more secure we are in our own beliefs (or in the fact that we don't have to accept another's answer even if we haven't settled on our own yet), the easier it is to hear someone else's opinion and just say, "hmm.  that's an interesting way of looking at the world," without feeling defensive.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliope84 View Post

In our house we had elaborate chocolate filled baskets that my mom would hide at night for us to find, easter egg hunts, church, frilly dresses, ham, eggs, green beans and kielbasa for dinner.  I will need an alternative to the junk filled baskets probably.

Fruit. That's what my mom did when we were kids and we loved it. We'd get mangoes, papaya, pineapple, kiwis, a coconut, etc. etc. We definitely binged on a fruit for a few days, but it was awesome!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 04-21-2011, 11:38 AM

I thought I'd replied to this one.

We've always celebrated a pretty typically North American Easter, but without any religious aspects. (My mom was raised Christian, but we were raised agnostic.) So, we did Easter baskets, which were fruit, not candy, from mom and dad - we got a ton of candy from my grandma, egg dying and an egg hunt.

With my kids, we do a basket, which is candy, and not really great quality stuff. There's usuall a small toy of some kind - stuffed bunny, sidewalk chalk, bubble stuff - other than the stuffies, it's always something outdoor-focused, to celebrate that the weather is turning. This year, we spent a little more and went in a slightly different direction. So, ds1 is getting a new Frisbee (he has a couple of cheap ones, but they're not very durable - this one is a bit better quality). DD1 and ds2 are each getting a gardening tote, with trowel, cultivator and some seeds. And, dd2 is getting a pinwheel, just because she really likes them. At her age, I'd normally get a stuffy, but we're buried in the things as it is!

My mom continues to do the fruit baskets, but now she gives one big one to each family, primarily for the grandkids (although we parents occasionally snag a strawberry or something).

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 04-21-2011, 12:40 PM

We celebrate Spring, though everyone around us calls it Easter and we go with it. Our son will get a basket of seasonally appropriate goodies and a book, and we'll go out and play! :) Just appreciate the outdoors, the new life, the good weather...

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

Old 04-21-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom View Post

I don't think you should stop. Your daughter made a very astute observation. The important thing to note here is that (I assume) she did not intend to mock or belittle others with her connection between zombies and resurrected Jesus. She acted in innocence, and frankly, I think it's a cute observation. My friend, on the other hand, does so to illustrate her disdain and dislike of Christians and Christianity, and she encourages her kids to do so as well. Not cool. (FWIW, she's not a good friend of mine, but someone I see at my freethinker's group.)

Not all Christians (or people of other religious beliefs, for that matter) are disrespectful of those with different spiritual beliefs. In my personal experience, the fire-and-brimstone, "you're going to hell" types make up the minority of Christians. The vast majority of Christians I know are kind and accepting people who, even if they do not agree, respect my spiritual views and don't hit me over the head with their beliefs. I think they are the quiet majority, and it is for those people I make a point of being mindful about how I discuss religion with my kids (and others).

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

Old 04-21-2011, 02:15 PM

Back to secular Easter ideas...

This year I want to put a different spin on the traditional Easter egg hunt and make it a little more challenging for my kids. I am going to find a pile of rocks and stones in the yard and put stickers on them to denote a "prize," rather than have my DH fill plastic eggs with candy and money. Then they can turn in their stones for a gift. I think it will be a little harder for the kids to spot specially marked stones as opposed to colorful plastic eggs, which means they'll spend a little more time looking around outside and less time eating chocolate! winky.gif

Also thinking that I'll buy or make some seed bombs and hide them around the yard. Once the bombs are found, the kids will get to pick a place to plant their seeds. If the bombs don't get found... well, we'll have a few surprises popping up in the yard within the next month or so!

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

Old 04-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

Fruit. That's what my mom did when we were kids and we loved it. We'd get mangoes, papaya, pineapple, kiwis, a coconut, etc. etc. We definitely binged on a fruit for a few days, but it was awesome!

Why didn't I think of this before? My kids would be happy as clams pigging out on strawberries, and then we can save ourselves from the inevitable sugar crash when they've eaten two many jelly beans. Maybe I could put a few chocolates in there to hit the candy thing - but fruit really says spring more than candy, anyhow.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InMediasRes View Post

Why didn't I think of this before? My kids would be happy as clams pigging out on strawberries, and then we can save ourselves from the inevitable sugar crash when they've eaten two many jelly beans. Maybe I could put a few chocolates in there to hit the candy thing - but fruit really says spring more than candy, anyhow.

It was awesome - just awesome. She usually threw in a bottle of pineapple/coconut "nectar", as well...mostly because I loved it. I don't know if it would have quite the same impact these days, because those fruits are more common and less exotic than they used to be (never saw a mango or papaya in the grocery store, for instance), but my kids still love it, even though they get lots of fruit on a regular basis.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:27 PM

I put short sleeve t-shirts, sidewalk chalk, bubbles, and jump ropes in ours in lieu of candy.  They ended up getting Easter baskets from school anyway filled to the brim with plastic grass (*cringe*) and candy.  *sigh*

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 04-21-2011, 08:51 PM

I like that chicken. I thought mine were EEs,but they look nothing like him. We just got a rooster today and boy were our 7 girls angry!

I still have to get food for the easter meal. Can't wait to eat a lot and relax. My dd thought the jesus/zombie thing was funny.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemma04 View Post

I like that chicken. I thought mine were EEs,but they look nothing like him. We just got a rooster today and boy were our 7 girls angry!

I still have to get food for the easter meal. Can't wait to eat a lot and relax. My dd thought the jesus/zombie thing was funny.

Easter Eggers are just a mutt (not an actual breed), so anything that lays a coloured egg qualifies. I've got a dozen of them and they all look different.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMaegie'sMama View Post

This year I want to put a different spin on the traditional Easter egg hunt and make it a little more challenging for my kids. I am going to find a pile of rocks and stones in the yard and put stickers on them to denote a "prize," rather than have my DH fill plastic eggs with candy and money. Then they can turn in their stones for a gift. I think it will be a little harder for the kids to spot specially marked stones as opposed to colorful plastic eggs, which means they'll spend a little more time looking around outside and less time eating chocolate! winky.gif

Also thinking that I'll buy or make some seed bombs and hide them around the yard. Once the bombs are found, the kids will get to pick a place to plant their seeds. If the bombs don't get found... well, we'll have a few surprises popping up in the yard within the next month or so!

Dh wants to make a map, cut it into puzzle pieces and put them in plastic eggs. When the kids find all the eggs they can put the map together and then use it to find their gifts. It's supposed to rain all weekend so we'll likely be doing this inside. I also snagged ginourmous egg from the coop (goose egg size) and I'm going to paint that one gold with sparkles.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 AM

We call it Easter but do non religious things: Egg hunt, Easter baskets, etc.  We also try to focus on 'the return of life' in a natural way (new baby animals, new plants/flowers, leaves growing back on trees, etc.)

However, I have explained to my son what Easter means to Christians.  He's 8 and not sure what he believes yet.  I try to teach him about many religions and he's free to decide what he wants to believe.  redface.gif

treehugger.gif

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 04-22-2011, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love the bonfire idea and painting the clay pots. We do an easter egg hunt of our dyed eggs and plastic ones filled with quarters that they can use to power the ride on toys at our local mall. And we get a bunch of quarter machine toys to fill the eggs with instead of candy. I love the fruit idea too and will get some strawberries and exotic fruit. Yum! And chocolate and natural lolly pops. We were invited to my parents for lunch/dinner but we are going to say no and just stay home and watch a movie and perhaps build a bonfire. I like the idea of celebrating new growth but it is so cold here still and snowed yesterday. We get frost until June.

As for the Zombie thing, I am christian and I didn't take offense to it. I just got a good laugh from it.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post

If you are celebrating the season of spring it started almost a month ago though.

You don't live in New England, I guess. The weather here didn't get the memo...

Old 04-22-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post

Quote:

Dh wants to make a map, cut it into puzzle pieces and put them in plastic eggs. When the kids find all the eggs they can put the map together and then use it to find their gifts. It's supposed to rain all weekend so we'll likely be doing this inside. I also snagged ginourmous egg from the coop (goose egg size) and I'm going to paint that one gold with sparkles.

That is an awesome idea! I like the idea of turning the egg hunt into an adventure as opposed to a gift grab.

It's supposed to rain here too, which is kind of a bummer, but an indoor hunt doesn't sound like a bad idea. smile.gif

Old 04-22-2011, 10:19 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post

You don't live in New England, I guess. The weather here didn't get the memo...

For real. We're considering calling for another oil delivery, and it's almost May! Tomorrow we'll have a high of 52, rain, and 20mph winds. More rain on Sunday with a high of 63. I don't see too many egg hunts happening this weekend.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

A couple of days ago, my 7 y.o. son asks me: "Mom, why does the Passover Bunny visit the houses of children who are not Jewish?"

Seriously. And here I was worrying that Christian influences would undermine our household's Jewish worldview. ROTFLMAO.gif

So I told him the whole Resurrection story, and he reacted the way you'd expect a person to react hearing that for the first time, and from here on out we are not going to pussyfoot around the Christian backstory to popular American holidays. Thank you, Story Of The World, for your helpful Jesus chapter. 

In terms of Easter, my basic guidelines for celebration have apparently worked well (too well?), so:

1. Baskets. Monogrammed Pottery Barn baskets. Plus additional baskets made by aunt and grandma. Baskets galore.

2. Foil-wrapped chocolate eggs, carrot-shaped Reese's pieces bags, one chocolate bunny each TOTAL, not per basket. Emphasis of all baskets is on toys. Bunnies, lambs, etc. are all fine. Basically, if it's not in the shape of a cross, it can go in the basket. (Chocolate crosses are big around here.)

3. Egg hunt as weather and circumstance permit, but church-sponsored hunts verboten. Around here, the Park and Rec department sponsors a Jesus-free egg hunt. 

4. Family meal - yes, a baked ham is OK, we're Reform.  

5. Since the climate is agreeable here, we are going to plant sunflowers on Easter this year. 

Old 04-23-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post

Quote:

OMG, so awesome about the map.  I am SO doing that!

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

Old 04-23-2011, 11:29 AM

I read somewhere about one family's tradition of giving kids a new kite every Easter.  I love that idea!

Librarian, Blogger, Book Reviewer, Mama

User Tag List