Quote:
Originally Posted by mimim View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post

If I'm being judgy, so be it. I see judgment on here all the time, and it's not like I'm IRL talking smack to these people. I just thought they looked very very silly. And I amazed at people who seem more attached to their gear than to the children they were intended for.

Yup. It gives the impression that they reproduced because shopping for the accessories is fun. I get you OP. Those big honking strollers rub me the wrong way too. It would be one thing if people only used them when they were really needed, but people drag them everywhere and anywhere, no matter whether it's appropriate. Entitlement and consumerism are the values that the overuse of outsized strollers appear to express, even if it's not remotely close to the attitude of the person pushing it.

Wow. It's not often that i am speechless in how to reply to mean, negative comments here at MDC but this certainly takes the cake. I am shocked by the ridiculousness of these two comments on something so not your business as another family's stroller use.

For real? What you do in a public place is no one else's business?

Again, I don't think the OP is a good example of what I'm talking about, but I just now had to walk on the parkway to get around two women who were pushing their strollers side-by-side down a crowded sidewalk, obliviously chatting and drinking their coffees. THIS is the kind of thing that makes people who don't have children resent those that do. Judging people doesn't help any. I totally agree with that and I don't think everyone who has a 5 year old in a stroller is a jerk. But SOME people do feel that way, because they overgeneralize due to the rude behavior of some and by being considerate and thoughtful ourselves, we can help reduce that attitude.

But you'd have had to go on the parkway to get around the two women even if they didn't have strollers. It's not the strollers that are the issue here, it's the people walking beside each other. Whole different thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Mac View Post

Really? A stroller means all this? A stroller is a conveyance and, as a bonus, it is a non-motorized, non-polluting conveyance that often takes the place of a gas guzzling conveyance. We should be thanking the stroller moms for leaving the car in the driveway! I push baby and stroller around everywhere I go, I hardly think it is "lazy and wasteful and self-indulgent." It is a practical piece of equipment. I need to get to the store. The baby needs to come too. The baby can't walk, or even crawl, that far. Plus, I need to carry said groceries home. How is shoving them under a stroller worse than holding them in my hands while the baby rides in a backpack? And, really, I don't see how my pushing said stroller around impacts negatively on anyone's life. I mean, I guess you could deconstruct it down to the point of the worker in the factory somewhere, and there is value in doing that. But it still doesn't change the fact that we need to get around and the child really does need to accompany me.

You are missing my point entirely. It doesn't even seem like you read my post, yet you are quoting it.

Ask yourself: Do I really need the stroller? Will it just get in the way while I use it to push around stuff I don't actually need? Will it take up so much space that people can't get around me?

I'm not saying don't use a stroller. I had a stroller (and I have no car at all, not ever) and I tried to use it considerately. That's all. If most people did these things, then I wouldn't have to argue the other side of this debate with the people I know who are disgusted with "breeders" and their baby gear. Do you see? I'm not judging strollers. I'm judging their irresponsible use, like the OP.

Ask yourself: is it really your place to judge how other parents use their strollers?
#63 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupsnelda View Post

So, it is hard to get around two women pushing their strollers side-by-side?? Come on...

Yes. It is. Period. End of story.

So, you're pretty much saying your convenience (not having to go around someone) is more important than someone else's convenience (wanting to walk side by side and talk).

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#64 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bejeweled* View Post

The OP was very mean spirited.

I agree. It's comments like the OP's that keep the Mommy Wars in full swing. Very sad.
#65 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post

Kids in other countries successfuly walk miles upon miles every day. Some of them are 4 years old and they work hard next to their parents all day. I'm not suggesting that child labor is ideal, but I'm also not buying that American kids are just so much less capable than the rest of the world. Of course they're tired at the end of a day of sightseeing. Guess what? When they go home they'll go to bed, just like everyone else, none the worse for wear.

I have lived all over the world.  Alone, as a couple, and with a child. You're wrong.  They make strollers with little places to stand at the back of the stroller for that 4 year old to ride along with little brother or sister.  Not a lot of young children spend the day walking, even in other countries.  They get a chance to rest, too.  There seems to be a lot of misconception on your part and it's probably seated in judgment rather than knowledge.  When you get to be my age, you'll realize that there are a lot of ways to do things and they can be O.K. for that family.  Next time instead of making fun, go help.

#66 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So, it is hard to get around two women pushing their strollers side-by-side?? Come on...

Wow that's really sad. You must have some serious physical challenges to make three extra steps in the grass be so difficult. I apologize for not being more understanding of your situation.
#67 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 12:31 PM

As long as the children at the beach in the strollers aren't being smothered by pillows, I am pretty much okay with it.  HTH!

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#68 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you. I am considerate of the people around me but I do not see why it would be inconsiderate to use a stroller for my child if I want to. I NEVER heard of such a silly opinion.

Because your stroller takes up way a lot of space. If you keep that in mind as you push it and avoid taking it in very crowded areas if you can manage it, then anyone who judges you is wrong, but daily I am surrounded by women who do NOT do this and it's detrimental to all of us.

And now, I will bow out, because I can see that I'm offending people, which was not my intention... I was intending to explain how posh strollers have become a symbol of American greed along the lines of SUVs amongst many people I am acquainted with.

Maybe in a few places in this country (I am thinking the super rich area of L.A or something) it is a status symbol, but I think most of us are just trying to get through the day with our kids...Hehe, nothing screams status symbol like struggling to push a stroller full of groceries, carrying a toddler, trying and trying to balance your way down a sidewalk...

There are lots of symbols of American greed and I can see the absurdly priced stroller that is fancier than my car being that symbol...But, a wealthy mom is allowed to have a stroller and she can just happen to afford the super nice fancy one. Maybe it has really great handling, I don't knoweyesroll.gif

#69 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 12:39 PM

OH NOES!  SOMEONE'S DOING SOMETHING DIFFERENT THAN ME! THEY ARE STUPID!

Where to begin....

They wanted to bring a double stroller to the beach???? <GASP!>  The nerve of these breeders and their crotch-fruit!!!

This makes my head hurt and I can't be coherent.  With the way the OP stated her post, there is no convincing her.  If we did she'd have to eat crow and that doesn't seem like something she'd do because of her running to post this immature post.

But I will say, it may be worth considering that some gave them the "too good" stroller.  There are so many "what ifs" about the family on the beach, I guess I can't comment rationally.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#70 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post

OH NOES!  SOMEONE'S DOING SOMETHING DIFFERENT THAN ME! THEY ARE STUPID!

Where to begin....

They wanted to bring a double stroller to the beach???? <GASP!>  The nerve of these breeders and their crotch-fruit!!!

This makes my head hurt and I can't be coherent.  With the way the OP stated her post, there is no convincing her.  If we did she'd have to eat crow and that doesn't seem like something she'd do because of her running to post this immature post.

But I will say, it may be worth considering that some gave them the "too good" stroller.  There are so many "what ifs" about the family on the beach, I guess I can't comment rationally.

I always assumed that when you gave birth, you got like, a rule book or something.  "Thou shalt not offend W2BM with your massive stroller that you love more than your children" or some such thing.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#71 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Banned

crotch fruit! I just turned into a teenager again because I found this so funny.lol.gif

#72 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 12:58 PM

This seems like a really. . .odd thing to be judgmental about. I did a lot of baby wearing when my kids were younger (in fact, my oldest screamed like the stroller was made of acid until he was about three any time I tried to put him in it). However, I found the big honking double stroller that I got for free from a friend after she was done with it to be much, much more helpful when my kids were older toddlers and young school age than I ever did when they were babies. My older two were big, big, big kids and I have back problems - carrying them once they hit 2.5/3 years old was pretty much a non-option for me - especially since I was usually carrying a baby at the same time. My oldest, who has sensory problems, rode in that thing until he was 7 or 8 years old (once he got past the whole "stroller made of acid" theory he had as a baby). He needed to chill some times. BFD. I actually do remember taking the big honking double stroller to the beach once when my kids were about 1.5, 3.5, and 6 years old (but the huge big kids probably looked about 9 and 7!). I lived in San Diego (and have most of my life) and actually know that it's a bit of a PITA to push a stroller on the beach, and I was only going from the parking lot to the beach - but it was worth the trade off for me, and knowing I wouldn't have to go back to the car if I decided I wanted go for a walk on the board walk with tired kids and their toys. Also, while pushing a stroller on the sand is a bit of a PITA, it's really not as hard as you're making it sound - at least it isn't for me. A good work out, sure, but ridiculous? I guess that's in the eye of the beholder, right? And pushing it down by the water isn't hard at all.
#73 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 12:58 PM

Honestly, I know I'm the oddball, but I sometimes don't get the stroller obsession myself.  When my oldest was a toddler, I used to bring her to these playgroups at the library.  Many of the moms (who mostly only had the one child with them mind you) would lug this huge stroller out of the car, buckle their 1-3 year old in it, then push it up into the library to the playgroup doorway, park it, take child out, and bring them in playgroup.  Now I'm talking about a small parking lot.  You could generally park right up to the library building, yet there was always a huge line up of parked strollers outside the room.  I never understood that.  Why all the hassle for such a short distance?  And even if it was an all day trip, I could see where you would need a lot of stuff, so your stroller would act nicely as a "cart" to hold all your bags.  This I understand.  I don't understand it for a 1.5 hour long playgroup.  Do you really need more than you can carry for a distance of 200 feet?

Also somewhat unrelated, but double strollers used to really upset me after my miscarriage.  We went to a park once and I think I counted something like 30 double strollers there.  It really upset me.  There were so many people with their closely spaced little ones and I just had my one (who was almost 4).  My two kids are 5 years apart. I felt like such an oddball that I had this 4 year old and didn't have 1 or 2 more.  Totally unrelated

#74 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyelianasmom View Post

Honestly, I know I'm the oddball, but I sometimes don't get the stroller obsession myself.  When my oldest was a toddler, I used to bring her to these playgroups at the library.  Many of the moms (who mostly only had the one child with them mind you) would lug this huge stroller out of the car, buckle their 1-3 year old in it, then push it up into the library to the playgroup doorway, park it, take child out, and bring them in playgroup.  Now I'm talking about a small parking lot.  You could generally park right up to the library building, yet there was always a huge line up of parked strollers outside the room.  I never understood that.  Why all the hassle for such a short distance?  And even if it was an all day trip, I could see where you would need a lot of stuff, so your stroller would act nicely as a "cart" to hold all your bags.  This I understand.  I don't understand it for a 1.5 hour long playgroup.  Do you really need more than you can carry for a distance of 200 feet?

I do agree with this. It's not something I ever understood. Sometimes I think (know!) people with young kids just aren't thinking clearly - sleep deprivation or something! I'm sure I did equally ridiculous things that made people internally shake their heads. (Why does she have that baby strapped to her?!? That's got to be killing her back! Doesn't she know it would be easier to just push him in in her stroller?!?! lol.gif)
#75 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 01:16 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyelianasmom View Post

Honestly, I know I'm the oddball, but I sometimes don't get the stroller obsession myself.  When my oldest was a toddler, I used to bring her to these playgroups at the library.  Many of the moms (who mostly only had the one child with them mind you) would lug this huge stroller out of the car, buckle their 1-3 year old in it, then push it up into the library to the playgroup doorway, park it, take child out, and bring them in playgroup.

That's the sort of thing I was referring to in my earlier post. Dragging the ginormous stroller from the parking lot to the door of the establishment. I don't understand. It seems like that would make life HARDER!

As for school-age kids in strollers....my DS2 has always been petite. Thank goodness he's sprouted over the past three years and is no longer mistaken for being several years younger than he is, but I just looked in his baby book, and at age 5.5 he was 35 lbs. and 42 inches tall. He did ride in an umbrella stroller on occasion. He was short and tiny and got tuckered on outings. Most people thought he was about 3yo until they heard him talk.

#76 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 01:20 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#77 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Nothing to add but I do have to commend mimim on the laugh of the day here at my home!

Irresponsible stroller use.  

*snort*

Good one.  Truly made me lol!

#78 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Charlie's~Angel~ View Post

Um, really? 

Honestly, I can remember being your age and passing judgement on everyone that passed me by because I knew everything and had already been there and done that and everyone else on the planet was just a dumb Schmuck.........Then I got a little older and a little wiser and realized there are reasons for EVERYTHING beyond just what I see infront of my face. 

You'll grow up someday.  and Have the same big ole heaping portion of humble pie that I did.  Atleast I hope you do. 

ETA- Im pretty sure had that been me and my husband sitting on the beach, I would have suugested he go over and help the schlepping father by picking up the front end of the stroller, since i was there to keep an eye on our kids.  Just saying. 

Off Topic but just curious as to what age has to do with it? 

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#79 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:

So, you're pretty much saying your convenience (not having to go around someone) is more important than someone else's convenience (wanting to walk side by side and talk).

yeahthat.gif

#80 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

For the record I don't own a stroller and my children are 3 and 8 months.  I have had two, but my kids also follow the boiling acid theory of strollers so I sold them and I'm not sad.  I have a hard time feeling like I can be considerate enough with a large stroller anyway.  I'm intensely aware of my personal space and I don't want it an inch bigger than it has to be because I defend it vigorously and it's easier with a smaller space.

That said, I would much rather teach my children that other people make different choices and that's ok.  When you sit and laugh at other people who are struggling you are teaching your children that they should only have compassion for people they deem "worthy" through making appropriate choices.  I don't think I have the right to sit in that kind of judgment.  I go help with the strollers.  I hold doors open.  I also talk to my kid about watching where other people are moving so we can be considerate of our personal space.  I kind of detest strollers, actually.  But I tend to feel like the people driving them are distracted, not malicious.  It's almost like they have other things going on in their mind than my personal space.  

This judgment makes me sick to my stomach.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#81 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

Quote:

Quote:

About that. (I ask this for my own personal safety)... If going around someone is an inconvenience, what do you do when the person in your way has a sever enough vision impairment to warrant the use of a white cane? Do you just bowl them over? Should I be concerned about you visiting my area?

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#82 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 02:22 PM

Maturity level.  Thats all. I remember what it was like to be an early 20s know it all. 

FYI, humble pie tastes like poo.  Just ask me.  winky.gif

#83 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Maturity level.  Thats all. I remember what it was like to be an early 20s know it all. 

Yeah, but age and maturity don't go all hand in hand really. There are people much older who think they know it all too, and people who are the same age (or around the same age) who understand that they don't know everything. thumb.gif

#84 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 02:28 PM

But OP is a very young smart girl who I was hoping would "outgrow" this type of thinking.  The older ones there just no hope for.......(KIDDING!)

#85 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:

But OP is a very young smart girl who I was hoping would "outgrow" this type of thinking.  The older ones there just no hope for.......(KIDDING!)

Ah, so you are one of those fabled optimists then?

#86 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 02:35 PM

ROTFLMAO

Apparently.  I try to be one of those "glass is half full" kinda girls.  Sometimes it comes back to bite me though. 

#87 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:

Hey! I'm 25 I learned pretty quick after DD was born I had to eat a lot of words and swallow a lot of preconceived notions...Nothing like having a baby to show you how little you really know.

#88 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 02:41 PM

I hate strollers. HATE them. I was given a full-size one that I used about 3 times and an umbrella stroller that's seen even less use. I just can't stand maneuvering them and they seem horribly inconvenient to me. I hate taking them in & out of the trunk, I hate trying to carry DS while pushing an empty stroller, I hate trying to get down steps with them, and I really hate how having a stroller compels me to bring along everything I own.

But I could care less if someone else wants to use one. Sure, sometimes peoples' strollers are in the way. And sometimes I take up extra room with DS on my back. Sometimes I toss my bag on the floor while I get DS in or out of his carrier. Sometimes I decide letting DS sit down in the middle of a pathway makes more sense than fighting him on it. (Obviously I do try to avoid blocking traffic but I'm sure people still think I'm in the way.) I do think strollers are overused but so are sippy cups and pacifiers and babywearing carriers and sandboxes. lol.gif Everything about baby/toddlerhood seems to require excess!

I do feel bad for people using strollers, because I'm projecting my own hatred of them onto them, and I do hope that those using the strollers realize that they don't HAVE to use them, and that there are other options. But it seems like a lot of people like using them, and the very things I consider annoying, they consider incredibly convenient. And I also realize that they might NEED the stroller for whatever reason (just like I NEED my car, even though I'd really prefer to just walk everywhere or something!)

I am pretty sure DS will need to be worn long past the age most kids stop being carried or strollered regularly. He is 2.25 and will not generally walk at all when we're out (hopefully will be getting EI services to help with that issue!) So I could certainly see why someone might take a kid like this and put him in a stroller -- boy does my back hurt some days!!!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#89 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 02:52 PM

I'd use slings with my dd if I could. Unfortunately, I can't because dd just has too much body stiffness due to vestibular disturbance. It's just not comfortable for dd to be tied to me. With my last baby I had all kinds of slings and was very proud of them. In babywearing circles slings can and do become status symbols, too. Seriously, how many $150 silk slings does a person really need??  Yeah, see the comparison I'm making here? This judgement door swings both ways as far as I can tell. BTW, I do have an expensive stroller. Why not? I can't use a sling so I may as well enjoy my baby chariot.

banana.gif

#90 of 298 Old 04-30-2011, 03:04 PM

This thread has made me so mad! Cuss.gif

I also hate honking big strollers because I agree that people need to use a certain amount of consideration when employing them, and most don't.  How dare posters mock mimim for pointing out that people with big strollers do not own the sidewalk/road/whatever, but often act like they do.  It is so freaking true and it is one of my biggest pet peeves.  I do find it highly inconsiderate when people lug a stroller into an urban space that cannot accommodate them, and then expect that everyone is just going to get out of their way.  I spend lots of time in downtown San Francisco and see this occasionally (not all the time thank goodness).  Don't take a side-by-side double stroller into Chinatown.  Just saying...doing so is not going to be fun for anyone.  I am going to judge you because you are annoying me by pushing your stroller into me without apology and expecting me to jump out of your entitled way.

Actually the worst I have ever experienced this was when I was living in London, and not only would the pram parade routienely block the whole sidewalk but if one was going too slow they would also ram one's ankles to make a point.  Again no apology or even eye contact.

When two people walk side by side and block the whole sidewalk that is hella rude.  When they are doing it with strollers it is still hella rude...and hellz YES I am going to feel that they should have some consideration for the fact that they are on a public throughfare and that they do not OWN it.  This is so basic I shouldn't have to explain it.  Everyone deserves to have personal space and to be given consideration when in a busy public space.  People who do not are rude and I have no patience for that.

The beach thing...meh.  I used to see this all the time when I lived in LA and while I though it was sometimes funny I never thought it was inappropriate.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page