What would you love to have/do for Mothers Day? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 60 Old 05-03-2011, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

it hadn't occurred to me that someone might do something for me for mother's day.  um.  i think that someone will have to be ME!  what shall i give myself . . . my mother will be in town for breakfast/brunch.  it's going to rain.  i will be single-parenting.  hmm.  i know!  i'm going to spend the afternoon framing and hanging photos of my kids, my mom, and grannies.  that would be a very good mother's day project and it will make me happy.  i have some frames, but need to thrift some more and spray paint all the ones that are not black yet.

i ordered my mom photo stamps of my kids.  that's what i did last year and she likes using them (occasionally to mail me something, which my kids love).  i ordered a second sheet of them too  . . . debating whether to give those to (ex?) mil for mother's day or save for my dad for father's day as originally planned.  hmm.  wwyd?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 60 Old 05-03-2011, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I want exactly what I'll get. DH will get up with the kids, and let me sleep in. Then, he'll make me breakfast and coffee, with help from the kids. (I may get breakfast in bed, which I'm not crazy about, but don't actually dislike, and the kids love doing it.) The kids will either make me something (doubtful this year, as time is running out - ds1 was going to help them come up with a craft, but his schedule has been insane) or pick something for me at the store. They love doing that. At Christmas, I got a bag of Lindt truffles and some insoles. DH will also make lunch and dinner, and I'll only do dishes and such if I happen to want to, for some reason.

We may go out, but not to eat. I don't do restaurants on Mother's Day or Valentine's Day. I hate crowds.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#33 of 60 Old 05-03-2011, 11:08 AM

What i want is to be in my own home, where I can wake up at the time I want to. Where my kids would bring me cards and flowers, but I will be at MIL's house  where dh is the focus no matter what day it is :(

It won't be all bad though, we are going to brunch so I won't have to cook or anything.

As for a present, I showed dh a few necklaces I wanted and a few other things in this weekends ad section, so hopefully he took the hint :)

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#34 of 60 Old 05-03-2011, 11:19 AM

Boy oh boy, I would love to go to brunch with my family this Sunday. (Hint, hint, DH!) eat.gif

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

#35 of 60 Old 05-03-2011, 12:00 PM

I would LOVE to sleep in.  But that won't happen.  Yeah... just sleep... sleep would be pretty freakin awesome.  lol 

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#36 of 60 Old 05-03-2011, 12:25 PM

What I would like: sleeping in, breakfast in bed, dh to cook dinner and a nap.

What I will actually get: maybe the sleeping in and breakfast in bed.  Dh's working and is studying for finals so that's probably about it.  I'll be cooking lunch for my mom and grandma and dinner for mil.

#37 of 60 Old 05-03-2011, 12:34 PM

My dh is on a business trip, so ..... yeah, nothing.  ;)  My kids are 5 & 4, so they won't realize it's M-day, and we don't have family here in town.  I expect to wrangle two kids through church and do some laundry.  I will probably sneak some hershey's kisses out of the bag while my kids don't see me, though!!

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#38 of 60 Old 05-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Banned

hmm first SLEEP...that won't happen though, so second...A really nice set of butchering/slaughtering knives to use on my chickens...Weird I know but we don't do a lot of gifts or splurges here so when I need something I usually wait until a gift giving "holiday"...

That and a nice day with DH and DD and then a few hours without DD so it is just DH and Imischievous.gif

#39 of 60 Old 05-03-2011, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would like to hang out with my family and have a good time which is what we're going to do.  My cousin (who is like a sis to me) is having a family bbq on Mother's Day. 

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#40 of 60 Old 05-03-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

I agree w Rightkindofme. But more realistically, a picnic in the park is a nice second. So long as i dont have to pack it. DH has already suggested taking DS to the park to see the trains. Dont think he realizes it's MD.

Did someone call my DH and tell him what I said? He's taking the day off school, we're gonna hit the Italian deli for our picnic stuff and spend the day at the park! Woo-Hoo! And I didnt have to arrange it!

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#41 of 60 Old 05-03-2011, 01:59 PM

I want the family to provide three meals - breakfast lunch and dinner.  I want them to plan the meal, buy the food, prepare the food, serve the food, do the dishes and clean the counters & tables & floors with nothing left behind for me to do later.  That's what I want,

#42 of 60 Old 05-03-2011, 03:00 PM

What are you nuts?  winky.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeetpea View Post

I want the family to provide three meals - breakfast lunch and dinner.  I want them to plan the meal, buy the food, prepare the food, serve the food, do the dishes and clean the counters & tables & floors with nothing left behind for me to do later.  That's what I want,

#43 of 60 Old 05-03-2011, 07:20 PM

I would love to wake up to find that the family (not me) has cleaned the house top to bottom and taken both cars through the carwash.  Then I'd like to be  undisturbed with a stack of books until dinnertime.  They could take me to my favorite Italian restaurant.

None of that will happen.  And I have to go to my BIL's chaotic house and be with my ILs all day, which is about the last thing I feel like doing.

#44 of 60 Old 05-04-2011, 04:51 AM

Not have to wake up early, go to lunch with an old friend, have it not rain, go to the beach.....

(I'm lucky this year, I'm on vacation during Mother's Day. We rented a condo though, so no room service :( )

It'll probably rain.

#45 of 60 Old 05-04-2011, 05:55 AM

My mother and I have requested take out Mexican from a fabulous local place and for my DH to make us margaritas!  LOL.  That will be Saturday night.

Sunday we'll go to the nursery and look at plants and buy each other a flat of flowers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol_y_Paz View Post

This is the first mom's day without my mama, who meant everything to me and the rest of the family.   Past moms day's have been very fun and great.   I would love to skip this Mother's Day. 

(((Hugs)))  I'm so very sorry.  Is there something you shared with your mom that you could do on Mother's Day in remembrance and in celebration of her life?

We lost my Grandmother just over 3 years ago and while it has been hard for me, I cannot begin to understand what my mother is going through.  On Mother's Day we continue their tradition.  They used to go out and buy each other a flat of flowers as a gift then plant them.  Now, we do that.  We also each buy a geranium (even though I HATE geraniums, lol) and plant in remembrance of her because she loved them so much.

Very sorry for your loss.

#46 of 60 Old 05-04-2011, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Okay, my DH is awesome. We're spending Sunday with his family, so he just called to tell me that he took Friday off work so that I could get a massage and have my own special day. love.gif

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#47 of 60 Old 05-04-2011, 01:55 PM

I would like to not have to hang out with DH's family, but I already tried to set up an alternative in order to avoid it, and it fell through.  My mom is dead and we didn't have a relationship at all for the past two decades and Mother's Day has always been really hard for me.  I am not a big fan of Mother's Day even though I am very fortunate to have two children.  Mother's Day to me feels more like Mother-in-Law's Day since it basically revolves around what works for her, and I really resent it.

I would like to have a nice picnic and a medium-sized walk with my two sons and DH.  I would like to sleep.  I would like a full-body massage from DH in our bed without the baby waking up and to be able to go to sleep directly afterwords.  Directly.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#48 of 60 Old 05-04-2011, 06:45 PM

I want a new bike. I've made my wish known. My DH is awesome.Stay tuned. :)

#49 of 60 Old 05-04-2011, 08:07 PM

I'd love to sleep in, but I'd love to go out for crepes even more! And get a real latte from somewhere not chain-y. Since it's looking like a rainy forecast, we'll probably put off our usual MD gardening/cleaning the yard/playing outside. But I've already decided to go ahead and pick out a lilac bush to plant with my still-in-the-freezer-from-DS's-birth placenta. cold.gif  

Lovin' my four-pack: M, S, a different M, and sleepytime.gif me.

#50 of 60 Old 05-04-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Okay, my DH is awesome. We're spending Sunday with his family, so he just called to tell me that he took Friday off work so that I could get a massage and have my own special day. love.gif

WIN!

I can't tell if I'm feeling supported or saddened by this thread! On one hand, it's nice to know that so many of us share the experience of really appreciating some time to ourselves or being cared for, but on the other hand, it sounds like a lot of us are pretty deprived in that area

#51 of 60 Old 05-05-2011, 10:24 AM

I want the day to myself, my DH and my DD. And I'm getting it! I just want to be with us (and to order carryout). love.gif

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#52 of 60 Old 05-05-2011, 10:31 AM

ROTFLMAO.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

I'd love to NOT have to spend money we don't have on my mother and MIL for a Hallmark holiday.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#53 of 60 Old 05-05-2011, 11:17 AM

I took the PP's suggestion and had DD make cards for the grandmothers :) Score one for the Grinch!!!

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#54 of 60 Old 05-05-2011, 11:28 AM

I'd love to have the house cleaned up and have some time to go to the plant nursery. I think it will happen. orngbiggrin.gif

sleepytime.gif
#55 of 60 Old 05-06-2011, 05:21 AM

That was me and I am SOOOOO glad I could help. 

HIGH FIVE! Knuckle Bump.  BOOM!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

I took the PP's suggestion and had DD make cards for the grandmothers :) Score one for the Grinch!!!

laohaire likes this.
#56 of 60 Old 05-07-2011, 11:43 AM

last year i was a sahm and I just wanted one day for myself, to nap or do whatever, this year i am a wohm and i want to do something fun with ds!

and i want an iPad. redface.gif

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#57 of 60 Old 05-07-2011, 01:33 PM

This will be the first Mother's Day since my mom died. I seriously hope I can make it through the day without having a huge emotional breakdown.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#58 of 60 Old 05-07-2011, 01:36 PM

I have a list of things I would like for Mother's Day or my birthday (both this week) but I think what would be really special is if my hubby brought the kids to the store and let them pick out a gift. I think that's what he's planning for tonight. I also just want to spend time with them. I know that sounds really like the thing to say, but seriously lately I've been thinking about all the things that could happen to our happy lives as we know it and I am just so grateful to be with them.

#59 of 60 Old 05-07-2011, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post

This will be the first Mother's Day since my mom died. I seriously hope I can make it through the day without having a huge emotional breakdown.

hug2.gif   bawling.gif

i just did have a wonderful "mothers day" gift - even if it wasnt on mothers day. last evening a friend said 'hey u look really tired. can i borrow ur dd for the night?" AND she gave me a ride home. i came home had dinner and went to bed. i slept for 12 hours straight. i cant remember the last time i did that.then dd came home and asked me if i wanted to wait or have my present now. and we both checked in with how we felt and she felt OK if i didnt have to wait for my present. and so i GOT it. an origami box full of good chocolate. dd knows exactly the kind i like and we both split it. luxlove.gif  so for bfast i had chocolate.

tomorrow all i know is i have to find some mulberries. i hope they are ripe.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#60 of 60 Old 05-08-2011, 12:14 AM

I'd love for both my sons to give me a call. I'm sure older DS doesn't even know it's Mother's Day so I won't be getting a call from him. If younger DS remembers it's Mother's Day he might call or possibly email me. DSD never calls but might say something on Facebook. What I know will happen for sure is that I'll try not to be too big a basket case because I haven't seen my guys on Mother's Day in at least 15 years. I'll do my best not to scream at DH because I'm so emotional. There will probably be a dose of Ativan (anti anxiety med) involved. greensad.gif

Okay, done with that pity party for now. Happy Mother's Day, mamas. You all rock!

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page