Will you share your hoopin secrets with me? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2011, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Basically I can't afford a member at the Y so I bought a $5 hoop at walmart!  As a child I could NEVER figure out how to hula hoop but I am starting to get it. I can have it going for about.... 3 minutes sometimes orngbiggrin.gif   Can anyone give me some tips? Like, for learning the basics, but also are there any tricks you can do with a hoop? At festivals I have seen people kick it back up when it falls but I think that's it.

I hope this is the right place to post this, Fitness and Weight Managment looked to be all about loosing pounds and challenges.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 03:40 PM

i have no advice, but had to click your thread out of interest . . . sounds like fun!

Old 05-05-2011, 04:10 PM

The kids hoops at Target are really hard to hoop with, so if you can make that work you're doing a great job. 

I started hooping a little over a year ago, my friend's dd taught me how, then I started making hoops.  If you google you can find tutes to make your own, larger hoop.  There are videos on youtube to help with techniques & tricks and work outs.  :)

Old 05-05-2011, 04:33 PM

Check out hooping tricks on youtube, or someplace like hoopnicity. There are some great videos out there. (Did you know you can set kevlar wicks into a hoop and spin fire with it? Fun!!! [With safety training, of course.] There are clear hoops with LEDs inside them for night hooping, too. Gorgeous.)

If you're just starting, a bigger diameter is your friend. The hoop I started on is ridiculously large, but that slower rotation gives you more of a chance to figure out how to move to keep it going. If you're in the southern New England area, I can point you toward some good hoop groups and stores.

I started hooping around the waist, and then worked on shimmying the hoop up to my neck and back down again without losing it. Or shimmy it down to your hips and back up. With small hoops, you can hoop around your wrists and arms, and around your ankles. There are a lot of dance and poi moves that can be done with hoops, too. It's great to play with it -- there really aren't any rules, as long as you're not hurting yourself.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Yay thanks ladies!!  I'm in Georgia, didn't realize people get together for hoop groups!! I'll check that out, and the videos, I am so excited!! biggrinbounce.gif  Making my own would be so fun, I'm glad you mentioned that!  The super funky ones I always see are probably handmade ones

Old 05-06-2011, 05:14 PM

The website Hooping.org is a great resource, and a place to go to find local hooping meetups too.

Three minutes is awesome, especially with a kid's size hoop from Wal-Mart!  I agree with the PPs who said to get a home-made or storebought adult size hoop if possible, it makes a HUGE difference!  I spent about $25 on hoopmaking materials from a hardware store and had enough supplies to make several hoops. There are lots of online directions about hoopmaking and lots of websites that sell ready-made hoops too.

I've been hooping for just a few months but I'm totally hooked and in love with it! There are lots of YouTube videos that teach different tricks, I learned shoulder/chest hooping from YouTube and also a trick called the Vortex.  I also got a book and DVD from the library called Hooping: A Revolutionary Fitness Program  and bought Hoopnotica DVDs from Amazon.  The DVDs are great, but YouTube has been my best resource and it's free :)

I love what Earthmama says:

Quote:

It's great to play with it -- there really aren't any rules, as long as you're not hurting yourself.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Hooping.org is great!

http://www.hoopcity.ca/ is also a great community and she offers online classes. She being Safire - you can find her on YouTube as well. 

There's also http://www.hoopinguniversity.com/members/starsofhoopdance  which has classes.

The HoopPath DVD is great for basics.  Just watching folks videos is a great way to get ideas.  My favorite folks to keep an eye on are Baxter, Rich Porter (Isopop), Brecken Rivera, Hoopalicious (Anah Reichenbach), Ann Humphreys.  They all have videos up on YouTube.  Most of them have their own websites.

YouTube is full of online tutorials.

I got my first hoop through Superhooper.  It is still my fave. :)

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 05-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Administrator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abS1dLxAH44

That's one of the first hooping videos I ever watched.  :D

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 05-06-2011, 09:12 PM

I love hooping! I watched a lot of youtube videos for particular tricks (am still learning). The smaller hoops are great for fitness, the larger hoops are great for dancing / tricks. Heavier and larger hoops are are easier to maintain. The light small hoops are the most challenging. Have fun!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
Old 05-13-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post

That was great! Flashes me back to my RAVING days. Just got butterflies.

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
Old 05-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Banned

toss the hoop you bought and make one! add water to weight it even (be prepared for a sore stomach at first).

homemade ones are sooo much better for tricks etc...heavier sturdier you can tape them in your own designs...time to bust out my hoop!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:41 AM

Definitely check out all the websites above. I would definitely get a heavier fitness hoop. Warning - it's addicting!!! My motto is a woman cannot have too many hoops. Have fun!!!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post

I get too do a workshop with Hoopalicious in a couple of weeks - I'm too excited!! I wanted to go to Hoop Camp this year but can't afford it.

A few years a got I tried to start a hooper thread in Tribe, but it never took off. I wonder if there are lots of hoopers on here?

Old 05-15-2011, 08:03 PM

I use a pre-made weighted hoop I bought in Chinatown to exercise - does that make me a hooper? iIf so, I would totally join a tribe.

Off to check out all these links . . . .

L, student nurse and married to A, my union man. Happy parents to little S!   joy.gif

Old 05-16-2011, 06:04 AM
Banned

I'm currently in the middle of making DD (2) a hoop of her own. It is so hard around here to find the right size tubing though. Also as far as making your own, what do people decorate theirs with? I have tons of different colors of electrical tape but I want some fabric like some of the really pretty ones I have seen at festivals and what not. I'm trying to figure out where to get some of that stuff..

Yes a hooping tribe would be awesome!

Old 05-16-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post

I'm currently in the middle of making DD (2) a hoop of her own. It is so hard around here to find the right size tubing though. Also as far as making your own, what do people decorate theirs with? I have tons of different colors of electrical tape but I want some fabric like some of the really pretty ones I have seen at festivals and what not. I'm trying to figure out where to get some of that stuff..

Yes a hooping tribe would be awesome!

http://www.identi-tape.com/

I have a horrible time finding the right size tubing.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Administrator

I second the identi-tape.  Great selection.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopin' Mama View Post

http://www.identi-tape.com/

I have a horrible time finding the right size tubing.

I actually special ordered it from home depot one time because they didn't have the right size irrigation hosing...I used it all up though so now it's either order more or deal with what they have in stock...the sales guy looked at me like I had two heads trying to explain why I wanted a very specific size!

Love the link too!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

OMG I had no idea this had become such a trend! (forgive me, I'm in Germany where I'd bet no one is hooping!)

I love hula hooping! I have always been really good at it too. It's like the one thing I have an uncanny talent for. I can swing a hula hoop around for an endless amount of time. I even considered trying to set the world record! Besides having to stop for pee breaks I could seriously hoop for hours on end. I also taught myself some tricks. This was in the days before the internet even.

I haven't hula hooped in years. BTW I realize there is a difference b/w hula hooping and what you all are talking about. I was using the old-fashioned hula hoops. I've never tried one of the bigger heavier ones, but I'd love to!

ETA: Here is a picture of me and my best friend with some hoops (we didn't know the guy in the chicken suit BTW). Soon after this picture was taken, we tried to take the hoops into a concert but they wouldn't let us!

hoops.jpg

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
Old 05-16-2011, 02:13 PM

After seeing this thread, I spent well over an hour watching hooping videos on Youtube.  I ordered stuff today to get started and can't wait to try it.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 05-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Banned

I want to see pictures Caneel!! 

P.J...I go to lots of music festivals/shows here in the states and Hooping is a HUGE part of the culture there. It is so cute to see little kids barely 4 or 5 hooping like pros. I am certainly amateur by any standards but I will be practicing every day this summer!

You can also make your hoops PJ, it's hard to find good hoops on the market because it is such a personal thing. Everyone has their own special preferences regarding size/weighted or unweighted/ how they are wrapped etc. Making them is a very very enjoyable project...

Caneel, I think I will be ordering some supplies to and work on the one for DD and make myself another couple!

Old 05-17-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post

P.J...I go to lots of music festivals/shows here in the states and Hooping is a HUGE part of the culture there. It is so cute to see little kids barely 4 or 5 hooping like pros. I am certainly amateur by any standards but I will be practicing every day this summer!

You can also make your hoops PJ, it's hard to find good hoops on the market because it is such a personal thing. Everyone has their own special preferences regarding size/weighted or unweighted/ how they are wrapped etc. Making them is a very very enjoyable project...

Wow, this really reminds me just how long I've lived away from the US. I used to be on Dead tour and there was a woman called Hula Lula who was at some shows and had loads of hoops backstage and would bring them out during the show. I once had bruises on my ankles and waist from hooping through an entire show!! I would also bring hoops to shows (that picture is from a Phish show in 2000), but we were pretty much the only freaks doing it then. I was so into it I even considered going to circus school to learn more tricks, lol!

I am really in awe that this has become such a trend! It makes me want to move back even more!!!

I'll see if I can get the materials together and make my own and I can do it in my back yard. I haven't hula hooped in years ~ I feel really inspired now, ha!

Mama since 2010
Old 05-17-2011, 06:41 AM
Banned

Oh thats awesome PJ!

It is a HUGE part of the scene now. I mean sexy hooping chicks are literally a dime a dozen at festivals now...It's funny to see the crowds of guys just standing there slack jawed while they hoop. There are tiny little kids hooping like pros and then there are the rest of us who are shy about it but still have a good time!...You can find at least half a dozen vendors at festivals now selling absolutely beautiful handmade hoops. I mean really really lovely. Also there is usually a couple at night that have fire hoops or the ones with lights in them...

DD is only just going to be 2 but she loves it when mama pulls out the hoops and she tries to do it as well. I really gotta get on top of making her special toddler sized hoop.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:44 PM

Okay that's it, our dream plans of getting back to California for some summer festivals is now underway...for next summer (not happening this summer for financial reasons).

So I've been researching this with every free minute I had today, and I'm going to order a hoop online ~I am just too lazy to make one myself. Some questions:

I can either order a plain, one-colored one-piece hoop, or a multi-colored (with tape) take-apart travel hoop. The collapsible one is from Germany and can be custom made with any colors, so for those reasons I'm leaning towards that one. However, I have two concerns: it seems like it would simply be lower quality and less comfy because of the joins, is that true? Also, I can imagine the tape will eventually come off and be all messy. I'll be hooping mostly outside in the sun and it may even get wet from time to time. If you have a hoop with tape: doesn't it eventually peel off? And especially if it's a collapsible one, with all those joins, I can just see the tape peeling off already! Should I rather just get the unicolored one-piece hoop?

TIA if anyone can help me with this, I'd like to order it this week. biggrinbounce.gif

Mama since 2010
Old 05-18-2011, 05:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post

Okay that's it, our dream plans of getting back to California for some summer festivals is now underway...for next summer (not happening this summer for financial reasons).

So I've been researching this with every free minute I had today, and I'm going to order a hoop online ~I am just too lazy to make one myself. Some questions:

I can either order a plain, one-colored one-piece hoop, or a multi-colored (with tape) take-apart travel hoop. The collapsible one is from Germany and can be custom made with any colors, so for those reasons I'm leaning towards that one. However, I have two concerns: it seems like it would simply be lower quality and less comfy because of the joins, is that true? Also, I can imagine the tape will eventually come off and be all messy. I'll be hooping mostly outside in the sun and it may even get wet from time to time. If you have a hoop with tape: doesn't it eventually peel off? And especially if it's a collapsible one, with all those joins, I can just see the tape peeling off already! Should I rather just get the unicolored one-piece hoop?

TIA if anyone can help me with this, I'd like to order it this week. biggrinbounce.gif

well the tape on the first hoop I made over 5 years ago is still going strong and that is with getting wet/being in the sun/having ferrets chew all over it...So I wouldn't worry too much about that. I personally dont' own a collapsible hoop because I've built all my own and haven't figured out how to make on that folds in half. I have seen a lot of them though and honestly the more "extreme" hoopers I know don't use them. I don't know why but maybe they are more uncomfortable?? Someone else can probably chime in though. As far as colors go, I wouldn't be deterred from ordering a solid colored one because you can buy your own tapes etc to decorate it. Although it is time consuming and maybe it would be nice to have someone do it for you to your specifications...

Hmm my vote I think would lean toward the non collapsible one that is a solid color then I would buy exactly the kind of tapes I want and decorate away...Just me though! I've had a lot of practice taping hoops and it can be VERY time consuming and tedious if you want to get it really really nice looking...

Old 05-19-2011, 01:51 AM

I've just started hooping in the past week, mostly for exercise.  

My favorite videos are Brecken Rivera.  I like the way she moves like a jellyfish with no bones in her body!  She is really fun to watch.  I also like her plain hoop and plain clothes.  The costumey stuff that seems prevalent in hoop culture isn't really my thing I don't think although I'm currently using a sparkle-y rainbow hoop! joy.gif

Old 05-25-2011, 08:39 AM

So my hoop arrived and holy cow, it is A LOT harder than I thought it would be.  That is ok by me, I need the work out but I know I am doing it wrong.

I can't keep it up for more than a few revolutions.  I suspect I am putting too too much body and not any hip/waist into it.  I can't help but to laugh at myself as I look in the mirror, I look like a vertical fish out of water, jerking about all over the place.

Does anyone have a resource for a true beginner?  I checked out the Hoopnotica trouble shooting and the advice was your pelvis is not tucked in or your not putting enough effort into it.  I am definately putting effort forth (oh the sweat) but not the right type of effort.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 05-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Administrator

I think Safire has a couple of beginner tutorials on YouTube, as does Caroleeena.  you might try looking for them.

User Tag List