What is in your guestroom or extra room? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 30 Old 05-10-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have a 4th bedroom that is seperate from the others. We have 3 bedrooms upstairs and the 4th bedroom is on the main floor. It has a full bath next to it that anyone uses. It needs to be remodeled, but the shower is usable..

The closet we use for winter coats, there is a double bed in there and some extra furniture. I want to put a table or desk in there or a murphy bed, sleeper sofa in the future..its also a dumping ground on the bed that has potential to get way out of control...

Its used about 3-4 times a year which is why I want to put a sofa in there that can pull out and use it as a den otherwise.

So whats in your guest room? How often is it used?

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 05-10-2011, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It is a small room, so there isn't much in there. 

We just have a double bed and a small night table with a lamp and a couple of magazines. When we have a guest, I add a small carafe of water and a glass. The closet holds our sleeping bags folded over hangers and a few extra clothes and some extra pillows.

Sometimes we set up the ironing board in there. It's a good place to sort out clean laundry and set out the ironing.  

#3 of 30 Old 05-10-2011, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We have a lot of extra rooms!  We use a 2 family house as a 1 family... used this way there are technically 9 bedrooms but only 4 of them are being used as bedrooms.  Of the 5 leftover bedrooms one is being used constructively as a second living room (a family room I guess).  Another has a large bed in it, and my parents sleep there when they visit.  The rest of the rooms, even though they were supposed to have a purpose, just got filled up with junk.  bawling.gif  My husband and kids are all packrats, but it wasn't until we were actually living here that I realized how dangerous all these "extra rooms" would be.  We are having the floors redone so they were forced to put all the junk in storage and I am seriously considering just leaving the extra rooms completely empty and banning them from putting anything in them.

#4 of 30 Old 05-10-2011, 11:48 AM

Our guestroom has a queen size bed, night stands, a bookcase, and a chaise. We do have our suitcases in the closet, and my DD's church dresses she has outgrown, but I don't want smashed up in storage. I am pretty protective that nothing else goes in there. It is the only room in our house that stays clean all the time. I try to be relaxed and let our house be "lived in", and having that room in pristine order all the time gives me peace! smile.gif

#5 of 30 Old 05-10-2011, 01:50 PM

We have changed our guest room into a parent's room with a futon, rather then a dedicated guest room.  At the moment it is filled with laundry and various boxes that need to be sorted and put away.  When we get to that (hopefully sometime this year) it will contain 3 or 4 bookshelves, 2 IKEA shelves that hold buckets to store scrapbooking stuff and fabric in, a futon, nightstand and a desk.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#6 of 30 Old 05-10-2011, 02:25 PM

We have 3 guest rooms on the main level of the house. The master is upstairs and a failry good sized room meant to be an office (no closet, built in shelves) that is our sons room.

Eventually one of them will become a "real" bedroom for our son.  He is nine and talks about it occasionally but since we still cosleep most nights I don't see it happening any time soon, LOL.  So for right now they look like this

1. the biggest is set up as real bedroom with a queen size four poster, dresser, nightstands, good lamps, pretty bedding, etc. Whenever we have adult company they stay there. The closet holds off season clothes but plenty of room for company to hang stuff up. It is also my secret hiding place for christmas gifts
  2. the smallest is set up as bedroom with twin bed, dresser, night stand. We put guests kids (who don't cosleep) in here buts thats pretty rare. Most of the kids want to bunk with my son upstairs. The closet and dresser in this room is for all the craft-type crap and it is slowly taking over the whole room. If we don't know what to do with it it ends up shoved in this room. Honestly its an f-ing fire trap.  God forbid we have company come anytime soon!
  3. The middle room has a small closet and french doors that open up to a stone porch.  This is our "office/TV room/exercise" room.  it has a corner unit desk for PC, printer and file cabinet.  We put in some nice book shelves above it.  There is cozy sleeper sofa, a nice size TV and a treadmill in there too. 

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#7 of 30 Old 05-10-2011, 02:34 PM

Our chick brooder, which will finally have baby chicks in it tomorrow  chicken3.gif; my sewing machine  sewmachine.gif, baby stuff we're saving for this baby due in July  baby.gif, and all of our crafts and DVDs (because we haven't totally finished unpacking in our house).

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#8 of 30 Old 05-10-2011, 02:54 PM

LOL a bunch of boxes, Christmas decorations and a guest bed that is rarely used.

#9 of 30 Old 05-10-2011, 03:07 PM

It's our library now. 1 full wall of bookshelves, a rolltop desk, a wing chair, and our filing cabinet is in the closet. We are slowly building a guest bedroom in the basement, but in the meantime if we have company, the chair gets moved out and dd1's futon gets moved in for sleeping on.
#10 of 30 Old 05-10-2011, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't have an extra room.  Sure wish I did, though!

Mama, Painter, Special Needs Coordinator
#11 of 30 Old 05-10-2011, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Guestroom has a full size bed.. a rocker I love and a small barrister bookcase for some of our collectible books. Oh, and tiny night table that holds just a lamp and box of tissues. In the closet are extra linens for that bed and towels for the next door bathroom and a handful of guest-y loaner clothes. Like a raincoat, a fleece vest, a nice warm robe. The weather is fickle here in Oregon. Under the bed are boxes of Lego for visiting small people to play with.

#12 of 30 Old 05-10-2011, 04:19 PM

Our 5th bedroom is a mini-gym.  In our finished basement, we have an extra living room (where we keep the wii) and that room has a pull out futon and the room is attached to a bathroom for guests.  We've lived in this house for over a year, and noone's ever stayed the night, and so we have no need for an actual guest room.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#13 of 30 Old 05-10-2011, 04:52 PM

nothing

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#14 of 30 Old 05-10-2011, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Extra bed.  Not really much else. 

Guest closet contains some storage, but nothing too bad.  

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#15 of 30 Old 05-10-2011, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

A queen-sized bed with a comforter, a night stand, a chest of drawers and some bookshelves up against the walls.  Also a hedgehog cage and a bunch of stuff in the closet like our Rock Band stuff, stuff that doesn't fit, games, my wedding dress--maybe a little space for guests to hang clothes.  It's really crowded in there.  A laundry basket with stuff I should have put away a year ago, and now maybe can throw away.  A box of assorted sundries.  My violin and viola are on top of the bed with a bunch of music.  I prop the music against one of the bookcases when I practice.

My room is only used by guests about twice a year, but I used to nap in there all the time, and sometimes we would sleep in there, the kids and I, for whatever reason.

#16 of 30 Old 05-10-2011, 06:23 PM

We have two extra rooms. The one downstairs is currently our exercise and toy storage room. If/when my Dad moves in, we will move that all to one of the workshop rooms in the unfinished part of the basement so that we can fix it up as a proper bedroom (it has it's own, very small, bathroom).

There is also an extra bedroom on the main floor. It is, technically, the master, which has it's own bathroom and is connected to an office through an internal corridor. It is, unfortunately, absent of any furniture and has become a place to dump clean laundry that I do not have time to sort and put away. It is also the place to toss stuff when we have visitors. An embarrassing mess!

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#17 of 30 Old 05-10-2011, 06:56 PM

Our spare room is not only small, it's L-shaped because our house has dormers. It's now home to the cat's litter box, which makes the room off-limits to kids; a twin-size bedframe for a bed my DH bought last spring before DS was born to put in that room even though we cosleep (the twin mattress is in my bedroom for DS to nap on); DH's clothes dresser and his clothes hanging in the closet; a tall IKEA bookshelf overflowing with hiking and travel guides and picture albums (remember them?!). That room also has a smaller closet set under some extra space around the chimney where I store outgrown or not-yet-worn hand-me-downs as well as my maternity clothes, which I can't seem to part with.

If overnight guests are onhand, they bunk in DD's room and she sleeps with me and DS, leaving DH on the couch alone because he snores. We're not sure what we'll do when or if DD and DS want separate rooms when they are older given the huge size discrepancy between DD's current room and the "cat's room."

Lovin' my four-pack: M, S, a different M, and sleepytime.gif me.

#18 of 30 Old 05-10-2011, 07:08 PM

A queen bed and a bookshelf.  Well, and a rug too... but not much else fits in there!

the closet has a small plastic shelf thingy with all arts and crafts, my husband's military junk, a spare car seat and our box of important documents.  and a guitar.

#19 of 30 Old 05-11-2011, 05:25 AM

Ours is more of an office most of the time. There's a small cupboard with bookshelves above it and a build in desk. There is also a small futon which we pull out when people stay over. When it's out that takes up the whole of the floor space.

The printer lives on top of the cupboard and the server and router underneath.The shelves are full of books books and the cupboard stores paper for the printer and all the other office stuff. We have a filing cabinet downstairs for the paperwork itself. Most of the time DH's guitar and music stand are in there too and I usually use the desk for folding laundry so it's often covered with piles of not yet put away clothes.

It's used as much as the other rooms in the house. There is no way we could dedicate it to a guest room.

#20 of 30 Old 05-11-2011, 07:20 AM

We have one spare room that is our office/library.  We have our network setup in there (but since we're wireless, we only have 2 of our 7 computers in there... dh is a computer science professor, so this is kind of the brain center of the house for him).  There is nothing in there to accommodate guests.

We have a basement family room with TV, futon couch, and some other furniture.  Usually when we have overnight guests, they take dd's (9) room, which has a double bed and she sleeps with us in our bedroom with a king bed.  (She co-slept until last year, anyway.)  If there are more than two guests, then we'll let them have the whole top floor and we'll sleep downstairs in the family room on the futon couch.  So, we don't have a dedicated guest room, but we can comfortably accommodate a family of 5 without using the couch.  When my nephew was younger, he would come up with a friend to stay the weekend with us and they would just hang out in the basement.  They loved it down there.  It's almost like a little apartment, the way it's set up, but doesn't have a bathroom, so not really appropriate for adult guests.

What is in these areas is just the normal stuff.  But, since we're serious minimalists, there isn't any clutter or superfluous stuff.  There is room for people to put their things when the visit.  We don't have overnight guests often, though.  Probably no more than half a dozen times a year.

#21 of 30 Old 05-11-2011, 07:38 AM

A mess ROTFLMAO.gif

It *should* be a queen sized bed, dresser, armoire and night stands. We just moved though so things are crazy right now. But it will also hold many books, some winter items in the closet, spare blankets and sheet, photos, my jewelry.... various things that won't prevent it's use as an extra bedroom (because we def have those nights where I'm not tired and want to lay down and read, or my husband is fidgety and I can't deal with it, etc...).

#22 of 30 Old 05-11-2011, 08:05 AM

I guess I should also have said that we have turned one bedroom into an office, with bookshelves, computer table/desk, drawers, and filing cabinet. It's a 5 bedroom house, so in total there is the master bedroom, a bedroom each for DS and DD, a guest bedroom (with only the bed and a night table) and the office. Clutter tends to end up in the office rather than the guest bedroom, for whatever reason.

#23 of 30 Old 05-11-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies!

We used to call the room (or at least my girls did) Uncle T's room. My younger BIL during his bachlr days would stay there 3-5 times a year. He lived on the east coast and came thru the midwest several times a year for business. If there was a holiday also he came in for, he would also bunk in since my ILs would have someone staying there as well. Its away from the family, he could come and go as he pleased and also see old buddies who also happen to live nearby our home. Now he is married and has another job on the west coast, he is not passing thru as much. Also, I think they would be more comfortable at a hotel. They stayed here once, no doubt to see if she could handle his crazy family LOL.

Other than that, we have had friends stay in there or a newphew etc. It has a bed my parents gave us in there, they were getting rid of, and odds and ends. I am thinking of buying a sleeper sofa so it could be set up as a den and used more often than just as a dumping ground and a few times a year as a guest room.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#24 of 30 Old 05-11-2011, 08:01 PM

Our guest room has a queen size bed, two nightstands, a long dresser and a tall dresser. We store extra bedding and board games in those drawers. It also has a closet in which we store winter coats and bulk food items. It's right near the laundry room so I tend to toss clean laundry in there until I have time to fold it.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#25 of 30 Old 05-12-2011, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

LOL. No extra room here...infact my little baby (born in January) doesn't have a room. I am not worried...I figure he won't NEED a room for a while (couple years) but I would like more room!

#26 of 30 Old 05-12-2011, 08:35 AM

our extra room holds my piano, a bookshelf and cedar chest both filled with fabric (uh, and books), the litter box, a small cabinet with sewing/craft stuff, my knitting basket, and the closet holds bathroom and misc stuff since there is no storage in the bathroom and no hall/linen closet.

that is "extra" beyond our kitchen, dining, living, two bedrooms and a bath.  so it's not a big house or anything, but this is our non-essential, therefore "extra", room . . . i guess. :p

#27 of 30 Old 05-12-2011, 01:49 PM

Twin bed, DS's dresser, desk with printer and a few books, DH's guitar, all my craft supplies and some misc things that don't have another home.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#28 of 30 Old 05-12-2011, 08:43 PM

Our guest room has a full sized bed, a dresser, and a desk with an iMac on it that doesn't get used much. There is a tiny closet that has a few odds and ends. There is a fireplace (my house was built in 1720 and there were 5 fireplaces.) Oh, and right now it has my parents in it. :) It gets used several times a year--my parents, ILs, sister, friends, etc.

#29 of 30 Old 05-14-2011, 03:33 PM

My kids wanted bunk beds so they share a room now, and ds' old room is an office/guest bed. It has our desk/computer set up, filing cabinet with our printer, dd's old hutch/changing table, and ds' old  twin bed. It also has a kid table where they like to draw and all their art supplies is in a rubbermaid three drawer thingy next to that . The closet has file boxes, and a bookshelf filled with old textbooks and school stuff. The top shelf has stuff like art supplies and extra office supplies. No room for a guest to put their clothes or anything.

I would like to have a real guest bedroom at some point with a queen size bed, but for now  this works when my sister comes to town, or mil, which is like 4x a year or so.

When SIl comes with her family (her dh and 3 kids) they sleep on our sectional which we take apart and turn into a sort of bed (its huge) and the kids sleep in sleeping bags on the kids floor. This happens maybe twice a year.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#30 of 30 Old 05-15-2011, 10:36 AM

We have three bedrooms upstairs... two guest rooms and the third is DS' room.

Guest room 1 has a queen size bed, two nightstands, 6 drawer dresser, mirror, bookcase and antique trunk under one of the windows that acts as a seat. We store our heavy winter boats in the top of the closet. 

Guest room 2 has a queen size bed, two nightstands, two lamps, some books, small chair, chest that stores extra blankets and an elliptical machine. We store some of the glass xmas ornaments in the top of the closet. 

We get a lot of visitors (family and friends). The two rooms tend to get used at least once a month.

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page