S/O Do you think it is okay to lock your child in a room and leave your house? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 23 Old 05-19-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anybody do this?

Is there anyone who can tell me that they think it is okay to lock your child in a "secure" room from the outside, with very few windows, and leave the house? At any age? (Was specified that the person wouldnt do it if the child was under three). Of course, you would leave food and liquid out for them, so they didnt get hungry or thirsty.

Do you consider this abuse and or neglect?

Do you think it is wrong to judge someone for this behavior? Do you think that it is "judging how someone parents" or do you think its calling abuse when you see it.

Seriously, where are our mods when we need them?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 05-19-2011, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is a joke, right? There isn't actually a thread somewhere here with somebody advocating this, is there?

#3 of 23 Old 05-19-2011, 11:19 AM

What?  Where is this posted? 

No, it's not okay to lock a child in their room - anytime.  Regardless of age, regardless of if you are home are not.  Also, it's not okay to leave a child (lets say, under the age of 10), home alone - locked inside anything, or not. 

Abuse and neglectful, absolutely. 

Mama Mko likes this.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 23 Old 05-19-2011, 11:24 AM

Yeah NOT ok to do this to anyone at any age. I think that's called being held captive.

Rhianna

#5 of 23 Old 05-19-2011, 11:26 AM

What?!  Um, yeah it's abuse!  That's so wrong! 

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#6 of 23 Old 05-19-2011, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Yup. And a poster who is PMing me with some serious negativity and threatening to "post on the public boards" what an "idiot" I am because I responded to it.

"If you have a secure room and some food out and some liquid, I don't see anything terribly wrong with leaving for a awhile. I wouldn't do an overnight like that though, and I certainly wouldn't do it for any child younger than three. That would be too long. Do you have a secure room? You would need to lock it from the outside and it can't have a lot of windows. Children need to be resilient."

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1303769/lexington-ky-babysitter#post_16452449

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 23 Old 05-19-2011, 11:28 AM

With only 9 posts, I'd guess it's a troll.  Did you report that post?  I'm sure the mods would be happy to remove it. 

eta: I'm LOL at her other posts (hurry, go read them before they are gone).  Definitely someone mocking MDC'ers. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#8 of 23 Old 05-19-2011, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Forward those PMs to the Admin, I already reported the post to them. 

#9 of 23 Old 05-19-2011, 11:31 AM

That person has 9 posts, I wouldn't put too much stock in what they are saying. Don't feed the trolls right? thumb.gif

#10 of 23 Old 05-19-2011, 11:32 AM

Um, no??????

What the heck???

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#11 of 23 Old 05-19-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

eta: I'm LOL at her other posts (hurry, go read them before they are gone).

yeahthat.gif

#12 of 23 Old 05-19-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Eh, I cant tell if she is mocking MDCers of if she is just insane. The PM she sent was pretty much ragging me for being so judgmental about her parent desicions. She accused me of growing up in a "Pollyanna" world and not realizing that everyone doesnt have as easy as I do. (kinda funny considering I grew up with an abusive mother who always had locks on the outside of our doors. She used to lock us in at night so that we couldnt get into the fridge.

Oh, and yes, I did report it.

SIDS happens. 

#13 of 23 Old 05-19-2011, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Yeah, I say troll.  I would still forward the PM's to a mod but I wouldn't worry about actual children being hurt.

#14 of 23 Old 05-19-2011, 02:20 PM

Between you me and the the mods there has been a lot of "talk" at other parenting sites about the changes here at MDC.  The buzz is to come over and join, wait a few weeks, maybe make a few slightly inflammatory posts and then  troll like crazy. eyesroll.gif Fun isn't it?

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#15 of 23 Old 05-19-2011, 03:02 PM

funny OP- there are a couple of her past posts where you are the next poster down.

I think she can't really be serious.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#16 of 23 Old 05-19-2011, 06:45 PM

I can't believe her posts are still up.....

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#17 of 23 Old 05-19-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
eta: I'm LOL at her other posts (hurry, go read them before they are gone).  Definitely someone mocking MDC'ers. 

Yup, totally.

#18 of 23 Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 PM

Wow.  Has to be a troll.  Must fight the urge to feed it. 

#19 of 23 Old 05-20-2011, 12:25 AM

yeah, someone trolling. ignore.

#20 of 23 Old 05-20-2011, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

Between you me and the the mods there has been a lot of "talk" at other parenting sites about the changes here at MDC.  The buzz is to come over and join, wait a few weeks, maybe make a few slightly inflammatory posts and then  troll like crazy. eyesroll.gif Fun isn't it?

For real?!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I do understand that Mothering had to go web only, and I do understand that for that reason they would like to (maybe even need to?) increase traffic here. I get that, I do. But at what cost? Where and how to draw the line? At what point will this spiral out of control and Mothering will no longer be the community we have come to rely on for support?

Are these things even being discussed among mods and the folks who make these decisions? What does/would Peggy have to say about this?

Hmph. nono02.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#21 of 23 Old 05-20-2011, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mamicita,
Yeah, after I actually saw her post about the not needing a doctor and commented there first. There arent a lot of Kentucky posts in Tribes, so I look at all of the recents smile.gif

PJ,
Thats exactly what Im afraid of. In the past that post would have been removed within hours, this thread would have been removed because you werent supposed to start threads just to talk smack about someone who is posting. And the thread about the other girl not needing a doctor would have been removed. Troll or not, if the posts stay up then people who are really looking here for advice will run across them and feel like this board is full of people like that. I know there are tons of lurkers, and I didnt even know what a troll was until like two weeks ago, so there ARE people who think she is serious.

Posts are still up, 48 hours after they were flagged. 19 hours after an admin was notified, and 16 hours after 3 people (that I know of) flagged it again. Where are the mods? Sometimes I feel like they are going days without checking the boards.

SIDS happens. 

#22 of 23 Old 05-20-2011, 07:54 AM

It's just a troll.  Ignore her.  I don't think it's a moderator issue.  People post random crap on the internet all the time.

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#23 of 23 Old 05-20-2011, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)

The posts have been removed.  Thanks to everyone who reported them. Sometimes, things like that happen when none of us are available to deal with them. Our mod staff is volunteer only, so they are not on all the time.  In the cases where something you have reported stays up, it might be because it does not violate the user agreement, or we are discussing it further.  Thank you again to everyone who reported that post.  You are always welcome to PM me if you feel something needs immediate attention.  

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page