Threads cross posting to Facebook.. do you care? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Input needed to Mods... do you care that they post threads on Facebook with no warning or notice?

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1313571/is-there-a-way-to-prevent-a-thread-from-being-featured-on-facebook/20#post_16461083

If so, please let the mods know.

I'd like some kind of special bolding or color change if the thread I'm posting on is going to be on Fbook. I'm not an Fbook user.. can't stand them for several reasons. If you are worried about privacy or the cool MDC vibe we used to have around here.. please let the mods know!
#2 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FWIW, mods don't have any say on this. If you have questions or concerns, you need to bring them to admins or post in Q&S.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#3 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 11:25 AM

I have a feeling this thread will be removed fairly quickly as there is already a thread in Q&S about it and they probably won't like us discussing it here...but for the record, yes it bothers me.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#4 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 11:45 AM

it bothers me as well especially since i cannot change my user name and at the moment it is my real name

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#5 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

bothers me a great deal

kinda makes me want to barf

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#6 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Administrator

It would be better to keep all the posts in the one thread on Q&S so it can be one discussion.

The Mothering user name is maintained by Mothering staff.  Any posts/threads created by the Mothering user name may be featured or shared on Facebook, Twitter or other social media. If you have questions regarding the Mothering user name, please contact administrator@mothering.com.

#7 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 01:26 PM

I've said this in Q&S and I'll say it again here: I do not like the fb/MDC connection one bit, beyond using fb to share general resources. I use fb a lot, but my fb connections are totally separate from my MDC connections, except for a few MDC members that I've gotten close enough to to be comfortable sharing my personal information with. I don't want anyone choosing how those two areas overlap but me.

#8 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothering View Post

It would be better to keep all the posts in the one thread on Q&S so it can be one discussion.

more people visit this forum than Q&S. 

This is a situation that many members aren't even aware of. I think the more people who are aware of it, the better.

There ARE privacy and safety concerns.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#9 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothering View Post

True - I'd actually recommend that people do both - post your feelings here, then go to the link in the first post and tell the admins how you feel about it.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#10 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks and thanks to those members who are tipping us off about some threads on Fbook. That way we can CHOOSE to reply to them or not.
HappyMommy2 likes this.
#11 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 04:59 PM

UMMMMM.... these discussions are posted on facebook?!?!?  Which ones? Is there any way to know which threads get posted there? 

#12 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by les_oiseau View Post

UMMMMM.... these discussions are posted on facebook?!?!?  Which ones? Is there any way to know which threads get posted there? 

No, there's not currently and some of us want a clue to let us know which threads are safe to post on and which aren't. A color tag or special bolding.
#13 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 05:18 PM

I think it is inappropriate to take random threads and post them all over the place as a means to raise traffic and therefor profit.

I think if the people behind Mothering are that interested in making more money, it would be a much better option to start their own threads for discussion on a variety of topics with the disclaimer that it is intended to be shown on facebook and twitter for Mothering readers on those sites.

Of course, if their concern is that people simply won't respond to threads knowing it will be posted on fb and twitter, then I think they need to take a long hard look at the audience they want to cater to and the type of audience they want to bring in.... and whether or not more money is worth the loss of loyal customers who have been around for more than the last couple of months.

#14 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 05:27 PM

Isn't the point of this thread to just alert people to the Q&S thread? So any and all discussion should just go there?

#15 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by les_oiseau View Post

I swear I don't mean this as snarky as it sounds, but you could always look at the Mothering FB page to see what threads get posted. Also, since the point is to generate talk and people discussing, it's going to be threads that are sort of open-ended, have specific variances of opinion and in some way relate to Mothering's core principles. It's not a new thing, this has been going on for a while. There's a link to Mothering's FB page on every single page her at mdc. There have been threads featured on the homepage and even some talk of the discussions in the print magazine for years. Threads from the more protected forums---notably TAO, PasP, etc---are not posted but everything else is already public.

I've been with this user name since 2003 and a reader of MDC for a year or two before that. There have always been spin-off boards (snarky and non, troll-inspiring and less so), there have always been blogs that c&p and pick apart threads and posters. It's the nature of the beast that is navigating an online social life. MDC has hosted threads, stickies, FAQs and wikis with information about protecting oneself online and reminders that all posts, often even after editing, are google-able. The point of MDC is to foster discussion about things that relate to the core principles of AP and NFL and to publicize and spread the word about the benefits of such lifestyle choices. Publicizing lively discussion seems a natural way to do that.

And, with that, I'm going to go ahead and close this thread. There is another there here in TAO about online privacy and there's the thread in Q&S where members can discuss these things with the staff who make these decisions and another thread here in TAO with a space to post your general vents about the recent changes at mdc. I think that's plenty.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page