Dressing for a job interview: WWYW? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, (deep breath) I have a job interview tomorrow at a place I think I would very much like to work.  It is for a teaching position at a rather swanky school in a big city.  I have currently narrowed my options to two outfits and I'd like to know what you think (because I tend towards suckage in this area).

Outfit #1:  Lightweight tan wool just-below-the-knee skirt with a black on black cotton/silk sweater set.  Nylons and dansko mary janes

Outfit #2:  Tweed blazer skirt set (with leather elbow patches lol) with a fancy cami underneath, same shoes and nylons.

So here are some of my questions:  Is the fancy cami too inappropriate for a formal interview?  It looks like lingerie but its the only nice cami I have (all the others have been used and abused since DS was born).  I guess I could wear the shell from the sweater set instead but I'll likely roast if I do.

Which brings up the second question.  Is it ever appropriate to show bare arms in a formal interview?  If I get warm would it be ok to take off the sweater/blazer (not with the fanci cami underneath though)?  To add to this I have an armband tattoo which I love, but probably is not the best thing to be flashing during an interview...right?

What about jewelry?  I tend to accessorize with necklaces.  Should I go bare necked for a more "professional" look or is it ok to wear a nice beaded necklace?  Should the necklace be a simple strand or is a more complex sundance-style piece still ok (I make 'em all myself so I can always throw something basic together if need be)?

ETA:  Yikes, do you think a skirt is ok at all, or should I lean towards pants? 

And finally do you think these outfits are too boring overall and I need to start over and look foro something with more pop?

Please don't diss the shoes because they are the only nice pair I own lol.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 06:07 PM

Um, I would not wear that cami at all. Looks like you couldn't be bothered to iron it after washing.

Wear the sweater shell. Roast. It's not appropriate in my book to take off your jacket and two, I'd not be showing your tat, especially at a fancy school.

lady.gif
#3 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post

Um, I would not wear that cami at all. Looks like you couldn't be bothered to iron it after washing.
Goodness!  I think it is very pretty.

Wear the sweater shell. Roast. It's not appropriate in my book to take off your jacket and two, I'd not be showing your tat, especially at a fancy school.

So you don't think that wearing the first outfit would work?  I think I'll be less likely to roast in a sweater set as the sweater has 3/4 length arms (thus covering my tattoo).  I just don't know how formal they are expecting me to be.  I have never worn a suit to a job interview before because at all the places I have worked it would have been seen as overkill...but for this school I am unsure.

#4 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would definitely not be showing the tattoo.  Also, that cami looks too much like underwear. I'd wear the first outfit or buy something else to wear under the tweed jacket. 

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#5 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 06:30 PM

I think the tweed skirt set sounds nice but agree that I'd go with something else underneath (could you well a 3/4 length shirt in case you want to take off your jacket to hide your tatoo?). 

Good luck!!

#6 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 07:07 PM

i have an armband, and i never show it at interviews. just not worth risking having someone judge me based on a bit of ink.

for school interviews (i'm a teacher, just interviewed twice last month, successfully!!) i tend to lean away from overly formal looks. i used to get really dressed up (skirt suits) for interviews, but i starting approaching it from what i'd actually want to wear for a day of teaching, and i feel like it's a more successful approach. i'm more relaxed, i look confident, and thus i seem to do better. i still cringe when i think about an interview i went to a couple years ago in a full out skirt suit. i looked very nice, i'm sure, but i was really warm, and this supposedly super posh school was very casual and relaxed. they wanted me to spend some time in the classroom, but i was so out of place! i couldn't sit on any of the classroom chairs properly, i couldn't crouch down to talk to the kids. it was kind of awful!

so, criteria:

colour, comfort, construction, and style.

i tend not to wear black... i want to be remembered (not to say you should wear neon rainbows, but brighter, flattering colour is good)

i don't want to be pulling or adjusting or sweating in my clothes. i'd go with dress pants, the nicest, most comfortable top you have, and the black sweater. the necklace, i'd definitely show a little personality. tasteful, but interesting. 

#7 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 10:38 PM

What age level students?

Sounds to me like either skirt would work, and I think the sweater set would be most comfortable while looking nice. I agree that the cami is too lingerie-ish (although pretty!). I also agree that the tattoo should be kept under your clothes (do short sleeves cover it?). Yes to necklaces, but not too flashy, especially if you are wearing black. They will probably be paying most attention to you while you are sitting at a table, so I think a notable accessory is a good idea. Think about the range of clothes you might wear while teaching. Now pick the nicest of those outfits and wear something like that--perfectly ironed and neatly accessorized.

I'm a teacher and I've been on a few interview committees. We recently hired a K/1 teacher and I remember our very proper principal noting things like fingernails and how well accessories coordinated. I thought she was being ridiculous, but there are people like that. But then we had one candidate that was TOO professional looking. She did not look like she would be comfortable on the floor with 5 year olds, and she did not get the job. So dress for the job you are interviewing for. And good luck!

#8 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFish View Post

i have an armband, and i never show it at interviews. just not worth risking having someone judge me based on a bit of ink.

for school interviews (i'm a teacher, just interviewed twice last month, successfully!!) i tend to lean away from overly formal looks. i used to get really dressed up (skirt suits) for interviews, but i starting approaching it from what i'd actually want to wear for a day of teaching, and i feel like it's a more successful approach. i'm more relaxed, i look confident, and thus i seem to do better. i still cringe when i think about an interview i went to a couple years ago in a full out skirt suit. i looked very nice, i'm sure, but i was really warm, and this supposedly super posh school was very casual and relaxed. they wanted me to spend some time in the classroom, but i was so out of place! i couldn't sit on any of the classroom chairs properly, i couldn't crouch down to talk to the kids. it was kind of awful!

so, criteria:

colour, comfort, construction, and style.

i tend not to wear black... i want to be remembered (not to say you should wear neon rainbows, but brighter, flattering colour is good)

i don't want to be pulling or adjusting or sweating in my clothes. i'd go with dress pants, the nicest, most comfortable top you have, and the black sweater. the necklace, i'd definitely show a little personality. tasteful, but interesting. 

Congratulations!  Successful interviews are an awesome thing lol.

Well think you are right about the comfort factor.  I tried on both outfits tonight (nylons and all) and I really felt awkward in the tweed blazer...like I was wearing daddy's clothes.  I suppose that is the reason it sits in my closet year after year without ever getting worn.  It is way too formal to teach in and way too uncomfortable in to be formal.  I should just get rid of the blasted thing.  The tweed skirt alone is cute though.  And I can't see separating a perfectly good skirt suit, so it will probably continue to squat in my closet taking up valuable real estate...sigh.

Black works for me because a lot of clothes clash with my (red) hair.  The water here gives me terrible dandruff though, so I'll have to be super careful not to touch my head.  On the nice shirt front...well...I don't really have any anymore.  Its been three years since I have been in a classroom, and many moves and closet purges since then.  If I get this job there is some serious shopping to be done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post

What age level students?

Sounds to me like either skirt would work, and I think the sweater set would be most comfortable while looking nice. I agree that the cami is too lingerie-ish (although pretty!). I also agree that the tattoo should be kept under your clothes (do short sleeves cover it?). Yes to necklaces, but not too flashy, especially if you are wearing black. They will probably be paying most attention to you while you are sitting at a table, so I think a notable accessory is a good idea. Think about the range of clothes you might wear while teaching. Now pick the nicest of those outfits and wear something like that--perfectly ironed and neatly accessorized.

I'm a teacher and I've been on a few interview committees. We recently hired a K/1 teacher and I remember our very proper principal noting things like fingernails and how well accessories coordinated. I thought she was being ridiculous, but there are people like that. But then we had one candidate that was TOO professional looking. She did not look like she would be comfortable on the floor with 5 year olds, and she did not get the job. So dress for the job you are interviewing for. And good luck!

High school.

Short sleeves don't cover my tattoo, and I don't really have anything like that anyways.  I am more of a tank top kind of girl because I overheat easily.  Luckily I do not have to give a teaching demonstration because I simply cannot be in front of a class in sleeves without feeling like I am going to totally melt.  This only happens when I am lecturing luckily, and a nice shell with a cardigan works well for those days.  But, there is no hiding a tattoo under those circumstances!

Hmmm now that I think of it I have another tattoo on my ankle that will be visible through the nylons.  I think black tights would look lame though.

My goodness if they look at my nails I am finished bigeyes.gif.  I bite my nails and the crappy water here dries my hands out to the point where my cuticles crack and bleed.  I do have some nice necklaces though!  Maybe that will be enough balance in the force.

#9 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Good luck with the interview!

#10 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Disclaimer: I tend towards formal and conservative for work situations smile.gif

Does posh = conservative where you are? It tends to where we live.

I wouldn't wear the camisole as I think it's too casual for this situation. I would go with either the first outfit as you described it or the tweed skirt with the sweater set from the first outfit if you preferred. I don't think bare arms are a good idea, with or without tattoo. 

I think a skirt is fine as long as it isn't too short or too casual and neither of your options sound like that.

If you want to wear a necklace then I would go with something fairly simple and understated.

All the best. Let us know how it goes... and what you decided to wear in the end orngbiggrin.gif

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#11 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 05:13 AM

I would wear the sweater set with either skirt.

Don't wear opaque tights =). Put some coverup on your ankle tattoo if you think that will help it be less noticable.

Get some cuticle cream or at least some almond or olive oil and start applying it to your hands and nails as often as possible. File the nails the nite before.

Have you tried putting oil on your scalp overnight for the dandruff? Nevermind, I reread that the interview is tomorrow. Probably not a good time to be experiementing with hair treatments =)

Good luck with your interview!!

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#12 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 07:29 AM

By swanki do you mean funki/liberal or conservative/posh?

I think item number one seems a little too conservative for a funki/liberal school.  

It might work ok for a conservative school.

# 2 would work for a more liberal school -but no cami underneath!  Any other blouse availible?

I would wear a skirt in both cases, and I would not wear jewellry.  Sedate makeup and nice flat shoes for both.

#13 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Goodness!  I think it is very pretty.

So you don't think that wearing the first outfit would work?  I think I'll be less likely to roast in a sweater set as the sweater has 3/4 length arms (thus covering my tattoo).  I just don't know how formal they are expecting me to be.  I have never worn a suit to a job interview before because at all the places I have worked it would have been seen as overkill...but for this school I am unsure. 

Sorry to have come across so harsh, it wasn't intentional. I don't get the "wrinkled" look at all. I've got coworkers who wear stuff that, frankly, it's difficult to tell if it's supposed to be wrinkled or if they simply forgot to iron.

lady.gif
#14 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

By swanki do you mean funki/liberal or conservative/posh?

I think item number one seems a little too conservative for a funki/liberal school.  

It might work ok for a conservative school.

# 2 would work for a more liberal school -but no cami underneath!  Any other blouse availible?

I would wear a skirt in both cases, and I would not wear jewellry.  Sedate makeup and nice flat shoes for both.

Well it appears to be a posh/liberal school actually.  Based on what the teachers there were wearing what I chose was fine.  I went for the sweater set with the tan skirt, no makeup and a simple (but pretty if I do say so myself love.gif) necklace.  I was comfortable in my clothes to the point that I was able to totally not focus on the fact I was dressed up which is pretty ideal I think.

Quote:

Sorry to have come across so harsh, it wasn't intentional. I don't get the "wrinkled" look at all. I've got coworkers who wear stuff that, frankly, it's difficult to tell if it's supposed to be wrinkled or if they simply forgot to iron.

That's ok!  Everyone has their clothes peeves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellabaz View Post

I would wear the sweater set with either skirt.

Don't wear opaque tights =). Put some coverup on your ankle tattoo if you think that will help it be less noticable.

Get some cuticle cream or at least some almond or olive oil and start applying it to your hands and nails as often as possible. File the nails the nite before.

Have you tried putting oil on your scalp overnight for the dandruff? Nevermind, I reread that the interview is tomorrow. Probably not a good time to be experiementing with hair treatments =)

Good luck with your interview!!

Y'know I have had scalp problems all my life that I have kept under control by oil/rosemary treatments...but the water here is so hard that it turns everything to muck.  I've tried everything (a shower filter, different shampoos, dr.bronners, vinegar) and nothing works to get the build up put except nasty clarifying shampoo.  And shampoos with SLS make my head break out so that is a solution that is a problem!

Thank you for the luck wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusMom View Post

Good luck with the interview!

orngbiggrin.gif

I think that it went well, but I get the feeling that they are going to dally a bit over the choice.  Plus part of the position is to teach a subject that, though I am probably qualified to, I have never taught alone before.  So that may be a big issue (or might not?).  I guess I'll see.

#15 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 05:48 PM

I'm late to this thread but wanted to wish you good luck. I love your taste in clothes. Beautiful!

"Our truest opinions are not the ones we have never changed, but those to which we have most often returned."-Diderot
#16 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Black & red are power colors, and a "mentor" of sorts of mine told me once that you should always wear one or both of these colors for a job interview. So I would go with outfit #1. It sounds prettier & more feminine to me anyway. I do love love love that cami & don't think it looks sloppy or like underwear at all, but I wouldn't wear it with a suit. Good luck! I hope you get it!
#17 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Oh, I just saw your update, haha. You chose the one I voted for! Glad it went well smile.gif
#18 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 07:32 PM

OT: if you don't like the suit, break up the pieces!  Pair the blazer with a pair of great jeans and throw a structured tee over the skirt.  It creates a more casual feel to an otherwise stuffy outfit and optimizes your wardrobe winky.gif

Glad the interview went well and good luck getting the job!

Me read.gif, Kenny REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, Liv blahblah.gif, Evie baby.gif, & brokenheart.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page