Can Your DC Ride a Bike? (Semantical Question) - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Can your DC ride a bike?
Yes, only if DC rides a two-wheeler without trainng wheels and with pedals. 30 100.00%
Yes, if DC rides a two wheeler with training wheels. 0 0%
Yes, if DC rides a balance bike. 2 40.00%
Depending on DC's age, my answer would be different (as in, if DC is two, I would assume "riding a bike" to be one with training wheels, or a balance bike, or even a tricycle. If DC were 8, I would assume that asker is talking about a two-wheeler) 19 100.00%
Other (please explain) 2 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is a question of semantics, not a poll on how many kids can ride a bike, so I put it in TAO.  Hope that's okay!

In short, the question is "Can your DC ride a bike?"  How would you answer?  I realize there are no "no" answers, because it's not a question of whether your kid can ride a bike or not, but rather what the definition of riding a bike is.  I guess.

Multiple choice.  I'll explain my thinking later ;)

And one more question, what do you think of when thinking "two-wheeler"?

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#2 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Oh look, I'm first.

I answered "answer depends on the age" because my daughter is an at age where some kids are starting to ride without training wheels and she's not SUPER far from an age when the question was, "has she figured out how to pedal." 

To me, two wheeler means regular bike with pedals (not a balance bike because I have never actually seen a kid on one in real life nor heard mention of them outside of MDC) and no training wheels.

#3 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 06:27 AM

This question to me has always meant "Can you ride a pedaled two-wheeled bike without training wheels?"
SuburbanHippie likes this.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#4 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 07:14 AM

I voted for the first one but then hit other when I was trying to hit submit..

Which works out because I wanted a qualifier on that first answer.

If I were talking about my child (hypothetically, because he is 2 and riding a trike, which we also call a bike) and someone asked me if he could ride a bike.. unless he was riding a regular two wheeled bike with no training wheels, I would follow it up with a clarification. like, yes, he can ride his bike WITH training wheels, or yes, but its a balance bike or whatever the case may be.

roundabout way to say: "riding a bike" to me means standard pedaled, two wheeled bike with no training wheels.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#5 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

when i see 'ride a bike' no matter who it is, it translates to 'a regular bicycles without training wheels. 

if they asked me when dd was 2 i'd answer no she cant ride a bike yet but she can ride a tricycle or later when older i'd say - not yet. seh is still using her training wheels. 

ride a bike to me is a skill to be used forever as an adult. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#6 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 08:04 AM

If someone would say that their child has learned to ride a bike I would think they were saying a regular 2 wheel bike with pedals and no training wheels.  

If the child was 16 or something then I might ask what kind of bike they were talking about.

If they said, "my child is riding her bike now," I think it could depend on age what kind of bike I would think of.

My dd can not ride any bike as we do not have one for her.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#7 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 08:10 AM

Aw, man, now I'm all disappointed because I thought I was going to get to brag about my little boy who's been riding a two-wheel bike with no training wheels since 2 weeks after he turned 3.  Oh, look, I did it anyway.  orngbiggrin.gif

sapphire_chan likes this.
#8 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I assume they mean a two-wheeler bike without training wheels. If my kid is 2 and someone asks me that question, they probably don't mean that since there aren't many 2-year-olds who can do that, but I'd still qualify my answer by saying something like, "She can ride a trike" instead of just saying, "Yes" and assuming they meant a trike because of her age. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#9 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Without reading any posts.....

I think "riding a bike" means independently riding a two-wheeled cycle without training wheels. "Bike" = bicycle, which by definition is a two-wheeler ("bi" = two). 

If my child used training wheels on the bike, I'd probably explain that's the case, if it was at all relevant to the conversation. 

If someone said that their child was riding a bike, and it turned out that s/he used training wheels, I don't think it would register as misleading or untruthful or anything like that.  

I guess if it was an older child or teenager, I might ask if the bike was motorcycle or dirt bike, rather than a pushbike. 

#10 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 05:27 PM

Other, sort of. Really I'd only answer yes if it was a two-wheeler with no training wheels.

But IRL, before then, I'd qualify my "no". E.g. "not yet, but she goes along super fast on her balance bike." or something

#11 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 05:38 PM

Can your dc ride a bike means just that to me. Can said child get on a bike of some type and ride it. This includes training wheels, tricycles, balance bikes, hell even motorcycle since the most specific the question gets is "bike".

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#12 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 06:14 PM

Am I the only one wondering what the heck a balance bike is?
#13 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post

Am I the only one wondering what the heck a balance bike is?

A balance bike is a two wheeler with no pedals. The idea is that it focuses on learning to balance on the bike before learning to pedal.

hudora_balance_bike_blue.jpg

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#14 of 15 Old 05-25-2011, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Can your dc ride a bike means just that to me. Can said child get on a bike of some type and ride it. This includes training wheels, tricycles, balance bikes, hell even motorcycle since the most specific the question gets is "bike".

See, I guess I'm just really nitpicky. I could never call a tricycle a "two-wheel" vehicle, which is what bi-cycle means. Bi means two. Tri means three. I'm okay with it though, my family still loves me even though I drive them crazy with these kinds of details. redface.gif

#15 of 15 Old 05-25-2011, 01:38 PM

I also voted for a 2-wheeler with pedals and without training wheels. If somebody asked me if DD knows how to ride a bike, I would answer, "No, she still has training wheels." However, if the same person calls and asks what is DD doing at that moment, I may say, "Oh, she is outside riding her bike", without qualifying the statement.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page