Blog recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-24-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am thinking of starting a Blog to feature things I like to do: garden, cooking, seasonal celebrations, craft projects… I’d like share with friends at MDC and in real life perhaps post to my FB account.

I think for privacy I will not use my or my family’s real names. Not photos with faces in them either. Obviously my friends would know who we are, but random folks would not. Does this seem like enough privacy: no names, city/school/job names or face photos?

I also want a way to save photos – all types – online and perhaps share these with family or friends only. Not viewable on the www and password protected. Right now I am saving photos on my work computer, not a great permanent option.

I currently have accounts with hotmail/msn, google and yahoo.

Any recommendation for FREE and easy to use Blog and Photo sites? Any other advice?

thanks!

Rhianna

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-24-2011, 11:25 AM

Blogger & Wordpress are the only ones that I've had experience with.

Both allow you to post photos, though Wordpress compiles them into a slideshow, blogger only does one picture at a time (so photos take up alot of screen space). 

Wordpress allows you to password protect certain posts (though people will see the post title they can't see the contents unless they know the password)

Blogger allows you to specify who can see your blog but not on a post by post basis. It's an all or nothing type set-up. They log in using their email & password (each person has their own log-in) or you could specify one username/password and give that out so everyone uses the same one.

wordpress requires a monetary based upgrade to post videos but blogger includes it for free (i haven't actually done it yet though).

From what I've been told Wordpress is more for the tech savy while blogger is much more user friendly. 

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#3 of 4 Old 05-24-2011, 11:50 AM

For classic blogging, blogger is probably the best, most user-friendly format out there.

I like tumblr and LJ for community blogging/building.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#4 of 4 Old 05-24-2011, 03:10 PM

I use blogger and have dabbled with wordpress and blog.com and MUCH prefer blogger.  It is much easier to use, although you can also make it complicated with a downloaded template if you want once you get used to it.  If you don't like photos taking up a lot of screen space you can insert a "read more" button to shorten the post on the home page (which is what I do).  I also prefer blogger because it is 100% free and whatever the storage limit is, I haven't hit is yet after about 3-4 years of blogging and thousands of pictures and videos.  Wordpress has a much more restricted storage.

For privacy, there's a couple things you can do.  You can authorize certain people by using their email address, or make it so that your blog can't be searched in google (or both).  I recently realized that my blog address was in my email signature (well, I knew it was there, I just forgot) and there are people I'd rather not be looking in my blog (I'd like to complain about how our stove is still broken without the landlord seeing, or vent about a kid at school without DD's teacher seeing, etc.) and I moved my blog to a new address (easily) and prevented it from being searched.  I'm not overly concerned with privacy, I use my kids' names, and our location is pretty obvious, but I am okay with just giving the address out to people I want.  No one else will even know it exists anyway.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page