Making Prints of Super Personal Photos - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I still haven't had prints made from my DS's birth last year, but want to have hard copies to put into an album for his birth, as we did for his sister's birth. Our doula from DD's birth took photos with a disposable camera that my FIL somehow ended up with and took to Wal-mart of all places for processing. So yeah, he and, presumably, some lucky Wal-mart employee got to seem some super personal close up shots of, well, my birthyness! whistling.gifI've heard that Wal-mart has some kind of right of refusal to sell or let you print "explicit" photos so I'm not even sure how he walked away with those prints. I have DS's photos as electronic files only and am wondering if it's a better idea to go the online vendor route, Snapfish or such. Has anyone had any problems with an online photo processor making an issue of dealing with your birth photos?

TIA, as always!

Lovin' my four-pack: M, S, a different M, and sleepytime.gif me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 PM

I'm curious of the answer.  I've thought about creating an actual birth book from snapfish.  It would almost be like a flipbook for DS coming out!

Mama to three

#3 of 11 Old 05-26-2011, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

if there were "that" personnal, I would buy a printer and some ink cartriges and print them myself (or ask a "real" friend who know more than me in computer matters to do it for me in exchange for new cartriges for their printer ...)

#4 of 11 Old 05-27-2011, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaFrench View Post

if there were "that" personnal, I would buy a printer and some ink cartriges and print them myself (or ask a "real" friend who know more than me in computer matters to do it for me in exchange for new cartriges for their printer ...)

Yup, that is an option, but we are currently low on color ink and Snapfish, etc., prints are soooo much cheaper than buying new ink and photo paper. I'da thought more folks would have had experience with this on MDC. No?

Thanks for the replies!

Lovin' my four-pack: M, S, a different M, and sleepytime.gif me.

#5 of 11 Old 05-28-2011, 06:00 AM

I'd probably email snapfish and ask if they have any problem printing birth pictures.  If not, I'd go that route.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#6 of 11 Old 05-28-2011, 08:52 AM

or you could take your sd card, jump drive, cd, etc that has the digital files to one of those photo printing do it yourself kiosks. Almost all of our grocery stores, targets, drug stores have them. They print that instant and you are the only one that sees them. I think the prints run between 10-20 cents each.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#7 of 11 Old 05-29-2011, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

i had a photo book done by kodak.didnt have any problems. 

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#8 of 11 Old 05-29-2011, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Not quite the same, but Snapfish has printed plenty of photos of me breastfeeding with no complaints. Not exactly modest ones either. 

I wonder if a human even sees the pics there? Or if it's all automated?

#9 of 11 Old 05-29-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormborn View Post

Not quite the same, but Snapfish has printed plenty of photos of me breastfeeding with no complaints. Not exactly modest ones either. 

I wonder if a human even sees the pics there? Or if it's all automated?

Yes, I believe the process is automated. Just last night I put together a Snapfish book of my DD's preschool photos, and the site reminded me several times to check my layout and text for errors before pressing the "order" button. Whatever you submit is what they print- no editing occurs on their end. Someone may flip through it quick to make sure all the pages printed properly, but they handle such a high volume of these books that I'd be really surprised if anyone takes more than a cursory glance at them.

FWIW, everyone I've ever known who has worked in a print lab has seen nudie photos. I'm sure birth pics would be but a blip on the radar. Like a PP suggested, I'd send an email to check if they have a policy against printing photos with nudity. My hunch is that birth photos will be a-ok. thumb.gif

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

#10 of 11 Old 05-29-2011, 07:17 PM

If you have an independently owned photo shop in your area, I'd suggest them.  I have one about 45 minutes away and I asked them about this.  He laughed out loud and said "Birth, no problem.  We've seen far worse!"  He said it was no problem at all.  I like dealing with independent shops as much as possible.

I have refused to ever go to a Wamart ever again after learning about this situation:  http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/6624440.html   I wonder what the final outcome of this was?

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#11 of 11 Old 05-29-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyFluffer View Post

If you have an independently owned photo shop in your area, I'd suggest them.  I have one about 45 minutes away and I asked them about this.  He laughed out loud and said "Birth, no problem.  We've seen far worse!"  He said it was no problem at all.  I like dealing with independent shops as much as possible.

I have refused to ever go to a Wamart ever again after learning about this situation:  http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/6624440.html   I wonder what the final outcome of this was?

Using an independent or locally owned photo shop is a great idea, especially for prints. Do be aware that many small photo labs don't have book printing or binding equipment on-site and often send their photo book printing jobs out to a contractor. This is the case at the locally-owned photo shop where I live. I do use them for jobs such as prints and canvas, which they process on site.

ETA: I see that it was another person who posted about the photo book, and OP is looking for prints. In that case, I'd go with PuppyFluffer's advice and contact a locally-owned lab. You may also want to try MPix (www.mpix.com) or another prosumer lab if you don't have an independent lab nearby. I also think that Snapfish, Kodak, and the big labs shouldn't have a problem with birth pics.  WalMart 

I admit I never printed any of my "baby coming out" pics... they're all digital still. redface.gif

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page