Craigslist Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have much experience buying off of Craigslist, so I apologize in advance if this is a foolish question. redface.gif

My clothes dyer just completely died... it was 7 years old and has been acting funny for about a week now. Anyhow, I don't believe it's fixable. I need to replace it quickly (we do too much laundry here to go without) so I took a peek on Craigslist and found a dryer nearby for $50. I emailed the seller and she tells me it's still available, but I can't pick it up until the last week of June.

Is this...normal? I may be too suspicious, but why advertise something that's not available for another month? Should I pass on this or what?

Thanks!

autismribbon.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 12:23 PM

Are they wanting you to pay for it now and then pick it up at the end of June? If so... scam.
If not... they just really don't know how to sell stuff on Craigslist. eyesroll.gif
Old 05-28-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinuviel_k View Post

Are they wanting you to pay for it now and then pick it up at the end of June? If so... scam.
If not... they just really don't know how to sell stuff on Craigslist. eyesroll.gif

Well, I emailed her back and told her to contact me when the dryer is availble. The seller didn't bring up money and there's no way I would pay for something without it in hand. She just wrote me back and said, "Ok, will do. Thank you." 

Ok.... headscratch.gif lol.gif

autismribbon.gif

Old 05-28-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k View Post

Yes, this. And even if they are well-meaning but clueless, you still need a dryer ASAP. I'd pass either way.

Have you tried looking for a place that sells refurbished used machines? Lots of appliance repair shops sell these, and they usually cost less than full retail and come with a warranty. You also might want to try looking at moving or estate sales if a warranty isn't something you need or want.

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

Old 05-28-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMaegie'sMama View Post

Yes, this. And even if they are well-meaning but clueless, you still need a dryer ASAP. I'd pass either way.

Have you tried looking for a place that sells refurbished used machines? Lots of appliance repair shops sell these, and they usually cost less than full retail and come with a warranty. You also might want to try looking at moving or estate sales if a warranty isn't something you need or want.

Thanks, yeah we're still definitely looking around. There's tons of estate/garage sales going on nearby that I'm going to check out.

Well, if she eventually contacts me and it's legit, we may still buy it as a backup/second dryer. Sadly, I really do that much laundry everyday... like 4-5 loads. A cheap second dryer may come in handy.

autismribbon.gif

Old 05-28-2011, 01:04 PM

Well if she's not asking for money upfront, I'd guess she is moving at the end of June and was hoping to get a head start on getting rid of things... Weird though, usually the items are immediately available...

Also are you sure it's not the drum belt? Our dryer stopped working and all we had to do was buy a new belt for $20 or something. We replaced it ourselves and it works great now. smile.gif Just something easy if you do want to try to repair it!!

And 4-5 loads a day!??!?!?! We do about that much in a month... including cloth diapers lol.gif You must be going insane without a dryer!!!!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 05-28-2011, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

Well if she's not asking for money upfront, I'd guess she is moving at the end of June and was hoping to get a head start on getting rid of things... Weird though, usually the items are immediately available...

Also are you sure it's not the drum belt? Our dryer stopped working and all we had to do was buy a new belt for $20 or something. We replaced it ourselves and it works great now. smile.gif Just something easy if you do want to try to repair it!!

And 4-5 loads a day!??!?!?! We do about that much in a month... including cloth diapers lol.gif You must be going insane without a dryer!!!!

Yes, apparently I'm the laundry queen. lol.gif With two special needs children that aren't exactly...the neatest people, towels, sheets, and work clothes, the laundry piles up fast here.

My DH is going to tinker around with our dryer tonight and see what's what... but I have a feeling it's the starter (?) on the dryer that's dead. If it's a easy fix, we'll do it ourselves.

autismribbon.gif

Old 05-28-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IxIa View Post

Quote:

Thanks, yeah we're still definitely looking around. There's tons of estate/garage sales going on nearby that I'm going to check out.

Well, if she eventually contacts me and it's legit, we may still buy it as a backup/second dryer. Sadly, I really do that much laundry everyday... like 4-5 loads. A cheap second dryer may come in handy.

I hear you on the second dryer. I could have used one when our last dryer broke down a few months ago. I will never again take for granted the luxury of having clean and dry clothes, bedding, and towels as needed!

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

Old 05-28-2011, 04:42 PM

That's annoying.  I hate when people list things and then do things like go on vacation so they aren't available to actually sell the item.  I would skip on this dryer and try to find another one.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 05-31-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IxIa View Post

Quote:

Yes, apparently I'm the laundry queen. lol.gif With two special needs children that aren't exactly...the neatest people, towels, sheets, and work clothes, the laundry piles up fast here.

My DH is going to tinker around with our dryer tonight and see what's what... but I have a feeling it's the starter (?) on the dryer that's dead. If it's a easy fix, we'll do it ourselves.

Check out davesrepair.com  He helped us when our heating element went out on our dryer - DH was able to fix it himself.  Dave even hunted down the right part for us.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

User Tag List