How much do you give for high school graduations? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2011, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
$20 for an acquaintance
$50 for neices and nephews

However, Im under thirty and not in great shape financially, so I cant imagine anyone would expect any more from us.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2011, 01:24 AM

I gave $50 to my best friend's son last year.  It turns out his girlfriend was expecting and I kind of wish I'd made it more like $150.

(Eek!  My best friend from high school is a GRANDmother, but that's another story).

Most people gave me $20-50 when I graduated 25 yrs ago (high income family friends, though).

~ Yank Transplant to Britain and Zookeeper of 4 DC age 15 and under. ~
Old 08-29-2011, 02:16 AM

I gave $50 to my best friend's son last year.  It turns out his girlfriend was expecting and I kind of wish I'd made it more like $150.

(Eek!  My best friend from high school is a GRANDmother, but that's another story).

Most people gave me $20-50 when I graduated 25 yrs ago (high income family friends, though).

~ Yank Transplant to Britain and Zookeeper of 4 DC age 15 and under. ~
Old 08-29-2011, 04:50 AM

I would give $25 to a good friend of my child, $50-$75 to a best friend of my child, and probably $150-$200 for my niece or nephews. Oh and probably $50-$75 to my best friends child.

ETA: We couldn't afford to do this now, so it is a good thing my children are 5 and 2! I certainly hope to be in a better financial situation when they are in older as I'll be working again at that time.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:08 AM

I would have given more to the child paying his way through college.Why give the rich kid more when he is covered financially by his family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post

The child we are giving more to comes from a very wealthy family and is paying none of her own college expenses.  The boy from the other family is paying for all of his expenses so my husband feels we should just go ahead and send him more too (we have not seen him since he was 3 and have not kept in touch with his mother). 

Old 08-29-2011, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemma04 View Post

I would have given more to the child paying his way through college.Why give the rich kid more when he is covered financially by his family?

We ended up giving them both the same amount. 

We originally considered giving different amounts because we are good friends with the family of the 'rich kid' and are still in contact with their family.  We have not seen the other child or his family in 16 years.  Actually, I heard later that the mother of the second child didn't even remember sending us an invite.  She told a mutual friend that she had left-over invites and sent them to people she didn't really think would come. 

ETA...The second child's family is not impoverished.  They make a good living but have not saved for his college.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:27 AM

I normally give $100 but to really good friends and nieces/nephews I give $200.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)

User Tag List