Pardon my rant: Weary is not wary! Nor is it leery! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-02-2011, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thought y'all might find this article interesting as it relates to grammar and spelling: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robin-koerner/american-education-worse_b_867129.html

My biggest pet peeve is the accept/except switch. Because with the accent I grew up with, these two words do not sound ANYTHING alike. And yet, I moved across the country to a region where they sound similar and people here mix them up in writing. Drives me crazy!

I also hate corporate-speak that is constantly "ize-ing" things. Ruggedize... you mean, make more rugged? 

And the ever popular in corporate-speak "Great idea! Let's flush it out!" Uh, you mean flesh it out. Like the outline is the bones and you want to put flesh onto them and make them a whole entity. Flush it means that it's garbage and you're flushing it down the toilet. 

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 10:02 PM

I know one word that bugs me a great deal, is people saying "aks" instead of "ask". Why?

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

Old 06-02-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post

And the ever popular in corporate-speak "Great idea! Let's flush it out!" Uh, you mean flesh it out. Like the outline is the bones and you want to put flesh onto them and make them a whole entity. Flush it means that it's garbage and you're flushing it down the toilet. 

That sounds as if the ones making the errors are actually on the right track. ;)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 06-02-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblingBrooks View Post

I know one word that bugs me a great deal, is people saying "aks" instead of "ask". Why?

Is this one regional too? No one here says "aks," but I certainly have heard it elsewhere. And on daytime TV. Always on daytime TV.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:

Thought y'all might find this article interesting as it relates to grammar and spelling: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robin-koerner/american-education-worse_b_867129.html

My biggest pet peeve is the accept/except switch. Because with the accent I grew up with, these two words do not sound ANYTHING alike. And yet, I moved across the country to a region where they sound similar and people here mix them up in writing. Drives me crazy!

I also hate corporate-speak that is constantly "ize-ing" things. Ruggedize... you mean, make more rugged? 

Some times they do mean flush as it flush it out of hiding. But yes 99.9% of the time they do mean flesh.

Also, setting up a strawman. In my company somehow that means put together a rough draft.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco_Hikes View Post

OT: Your post is the second time this week that the phrase "Girl Friday" has caught my attention. The first was a public radio story about a new book on . . . Girls Friday! http://whyy.org/cms/radiotimes/2011/05/27/secretaries-swimming-in-the-steno-pool/

Isn't it weird how that happens? That happened to me this week with the phrase "honey badger." My DS was filling out an interview for school about his likes and dislikes, and one of his dislikes was honey badgers (which I had never heard of -- he had to tell me what they are). Then the next night I was watching a DVRed episode of Glee and one of the characters got the nickname Honey Badger, then yesterday we were watching Wild Kratts and they talked about honey badgers! So weird!! 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 06-03-2011, 12:23 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Isn't it weird how that happens? That happened to me this week with the phrase "honey badger." My DS was filling out an interview for school about his likes and dislikes, and one of his dislikes was honey badgers (which I had never heard of -- he had to tell me what they are). Then the next night I was watching a DVRed episode of Glee and one of the characters got the nickname Honey Badger, then yesterday we were watching Wild Kratts and they talked about honey badgers! So weird!! 

This is because of a video that went viral. It cracks me up every time I watch it.

NSFW, impressionable youth, or sensitive people...foul language....

The Crazy Nasty*** Honey Badger

Old 06-03-2011, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Mac View Post

Only because this is a language police thread: subjunctive! He used the subjunctive. This phrase is pretty much the last bastion of the subjunctive in the English language, and it's fading fast.

Well, there's some debate as to whether English actually has a subjunctive (or ever did....), but I won't go there. I was trying to be less 'technical'. Serves me right for not using appropriate terminology on a grammar rant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post

This reminded me.  There's a plce bear me that rents construction/remodeling equipment, concrete saws, pressure washers etc.  It's called "Ad-A-Boy"  Drives me nuts.  It should be 'At-A-Boy since the phrase it's attempting to mimic is "that'a boy."

Ah -- but here you're probably dealing with trademark issues. You can't trademark existing words in a language (I'm sure some lawyer will tell me all the exceptions), so you tend to get 'mis'-spellings to get around that. So, you can't trademark 'at-a-boy', but you can trademark the similar sounding 'ad-a-boy'. I've become a lot kinder to companies since I learned that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblingBrooks View Post

Actually, this pronunciation goes all the way back to Old English. The ask pronunciation 'won' in that it became the standard, but both have been around for a long time. This sort of metathesis (I'm gonna use the jargon now that I've been called out on not doing it!) is a fairly common language process.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 06-03-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

There's gotta be a word for that. I first encountered this with tryptophan. Never heard of the stuff then saw a show where they joked about it, then within an hour my parents referenced it, then someone else brought it up a couple hours later.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

There's gotta be a word for that. I first encountered this with tryptophan. Never heard of the stuff then saw a show where they joked about it, then within an hour my parents referenced it, then someone else brought it up a couple hours later.

I think it's a form of Jungian synchronicity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity

Might have other words too though.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:51 PM

DH brought home an iPad a few months ago, and then our laptop went to iHeaven and I have pretty much only used the iPad ever since. I can tell you that nothing has endangered spelling, grammar and capitalization like the iPad has. I hate to think what my command of the English language will be when I go back to a regular keyboard.

I think that writing on message boards really disadvantages some (like me!). I am a grammar geek, but I like to write, leave it, think about it, re-write, edit, repeat. I know I sound dumb as a post in this medium and it bugs me to no end. I try not to read any of my existing posts! I have a great deal of respect for those who are quick enough to manage to be relatively flawless online.

I really get bothered by the its/it's thing (and here I just had to correct the autocorrect which would have added the apostrophe in both places. Ugh!). Ditto the fewer/less one.

My DH is seriously short of nouns. He just picks one that is nominally similar to what he really means and goes with it. So, 'desk' means everything from the bedside table to the kitchen counter. This drives me nuts.

I'm sort of fascinated by style choices. I am reading Jane Austen and I actually love those long, long sentences with lots of commas. Very unfashionable now, though. I also like the Oxford comma, but I tend not to use it because it seems not the norm here (MDC). I have to say that I tend to follow members sometimes because I like their writing style rather than their advice.

My favourite error is one from a book by an English professor. It was from a student paper on maritime history. "Magellan circumcised the world with a hundred-foot clipper." Every time I read a post about circumcision, I wonder if they might just mean 'circumnavigation', which makes that forum much funnier than it was ever intended to be.

Gwen , partner to D ; Mamma to T (6) , J (4) , and baby P
Old 06-03-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaG View Post

My favourite error is one from a book by an English professor. It was from a student paper on maritime history. "Magellan circumcised the world with a hundred-foot clipper." Every time I read a post about circumcision, I wonder if they might just mean 'circumnavigation', which makes that forum much funnier than it was ever intended to be.

ROFL! That's awesome! 

Old 06-03-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:

I think it's a form of Jungian synchronicity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity

Might have other words too though.

Thank you! It's definitely that, although I've never experienced it about anything remotely important.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

The two that set my teeth on edge at the moment are "hence why" and the use of "mortified" to describe... well, pretty much every negative emotion.

I understand and appreciate that language is constantly evolving but I do think that the evolution should improve clarity or speed or both and these do neither.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 06-03-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaG View Post

DH brought home an iPad a few months ago, and then our laptop went to iHeaven and I have pretty much only used the iPad ever since. I can tell you that nothing has endangered spelling, grammar and capitalization like the iPad has. I hate to think what my command of the English language will be when I go back to a regular keyboard.

I don't know if it's the same thing, but my mac (I use iWork) makes the most idiotic suggestions when I'm doing academic writing.  I was doing a paper on "The Wife of Bath's Tale" from the Canterbury Tales and it kept green-squiggly-underlining every time I used "wife," suggesting instead that I use "spouse."  No thanks, she's not the Spouse of Bath.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

Old 06-03-2011, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
This is because of a video that went viral. It cracks me up every time I watch it.

NSFW, impressionable youth, or sensitive people...foul language....

The Crazy Nasty*** Honey Badger

Except that the first person who used it around me was my 6-year-old son, who is a nature lover and learned about the honey badger from a nature show. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 06-03-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramama View Post

Quote:

Moot v. mute.  Gah!  It's a moot point, not a mute point!

Am I the only one who thought of Joey on Friends?

Quote:
Joey: All right, Rach. The big question is, "does he like you?" All right? Because if he doesn't like you, this is all a moo point.
Rachel: Huh? A moo point?
Joey: Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion. It just doesn't matter. It's moo.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:54 PM

I'm still LOLing about the 'ruft raft' and the stepdad who doesn't like kitten's!!

I can be pretty pedantic about this sort of thing too.  And yes, as an EFL teacher, I can guarantee that most of the mistakes referenced in this thread are not the sort of mistakes to be made by non-native speakers, but rather by native speakers who rarely, if ever, read actual books.

My particular pet peeve, though, has got to be the loss of the negative.  For example, "I could care less".  The phrase is "I couldn't care less" -  if I care about something now then if I lose interest in it I could care less.  If I don't care about something at all now, then I couldn't care less, because I don't care now!!!  This particular phrase seems to be one of the worst hit with the disappearing negative, but it is rampant.

I also have to admit to being concerned that being on the internet too much makes me stupider - seeing all these mistakes all the time, after a while they mostly stop making you want to tear your own hair out with your teeth, just by dint of ubiquity...  See, I can't even finish my sentence coherently now!

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
Old 06-04-2011, 07:56 PM

I saw somebody use the phrase "tongue and cheek" lately in a generally obnoxious post, so I corrected it. His scathing response to me included the phrase "must of". orngbiggrin.gif

But normally, when I see a grammatical error online, I give the author the benefit of the doubt and assume it's an error and not ignorance. When typing a quick response to something online, its easy to miss spelling mistakes.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
Old 06-05-2011, 12:41 PM

Whenever I see or hear this mistake I think of Anthony Bourdain, who is often shown eating such parts on his Travel Channel foodie show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimim View Post

I saw somebody use the phrase "tongue and cheek" lately in a generally obnoxious post, so I corrected it. His scathing response to me included the phrase "must of". orngbiggrin.gif

But normally, when I see a grammatical error online, I give the author the benefit of the doubt and assume it's an error and not ignorance. When typing a quick response to something online, its easy to miss spelling mistakes.

Lovin' my four-pack: M, S, a different M, and sleepytime.gif me.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:07 PM

People misusing phase and faze! I see it all the time!

Incorrect: my toddler is going through a biting faze, but it doesn't phase me.

Correct: my toddler is going through a biting phase, but it doesn't faze me.

Apostrophes to pluralize upsets me most though. On Mother's Day I had a FB status wondering how many kittens would die due to all the "Happy Mothers Day to all the mom's" posts. Sure enough, my newsfeed was full of them by day's end, including several from TEACHERS.

Mama to my beautiful boys born 6/29/06, 7/29/08, & 11/09/10.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:13 PM

Just today I saw "I usually air on the side of caution" in a facebook post, and thought of this thread....

Old 06-05-2011, 09:10 PM

Somewhere else on-line I just saw someone say that their parents were very "strick" growing up and that they used to "integrate" friends' parents before allowing sleepovers.

duh.gif

I thought of this thread immediately.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:47 AM

Dido/ditto, which doesn't make sense to me anyway. If a person has never seen it in writing or something, and is basing their spelling off of sound, wouldn't they write "diddo"?

Old 06-07-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

I received a Christmas card last year from "the White's." (mama who sent it to me has a Master's Degree in special ed....lol)

There's a restaurant a few towns over called "On the Rock's."

duh.gif

I have to admit that I purposely do this incorrectly on our last name.  It ends in a vowel, and adding the "s" without the apostrophe changes the way it reads.  Of you were just reading the name plural, phonetically it would be a different sound than if you reading it singular. (flawed reasoning, I am sure!)

I know it is wrong, and it is something I would probably scoff about if somebody else did it. 

Old 06-10-2011, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieMama View Post

Just today I saw "I usually air on the side of caution" in a facebook post, and thought of this thread....

I saw the choose/chose thing on a thread yesterday.

Which fruit would you like to choose?

Oh, you chose a pear.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:36 PM

Ah yes, choose/chose.

There's also loose/lose. I see that one frequently online. "What do you have to loose?" irked.gif

Old 06-11-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

"mortified" to describe... well, pretty much every negative emotion.

Yes! Thank you! I was starting to think that I was mis-using the word! "He was mortified" does not mean he was angry, sad, or scared.. he was just embarrassed!

I am quite picky about spelling and grammar. I could go on for days about all my picky little language peeves. I'll just add one more. Avocado. A-vo-ca-do. Not Avacado! I see it EVERYWHERE!!

This is great: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 06-11-2011, 06:36 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post

This is great: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

That IS great....and so are the rest of the comics! Thanks for the link.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:24 PM

On one of the other threads I just saw that someone wanted to record something 'for prosperity' :D

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10

User Tag List