Tablet or Laptop? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-08-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm starting college in the fall!  I'm super excited because it's been a long road getting to this point :)

I want to buy a tablet or a laptop.  I want something I can carry around with me for schoolwork so I'm not stuck sitting at the computer or moving back and forth when I'm working on something.  I'm not sure if I'd be taking it to school with me or not... it's been 12 years since I've been to college!

I used to have a laptop, but we lost it in a flood.  I really loved it, but I'm not sure if I'd be happier with a tablet instead.

So I'm asking for opinions and stories on which you all prefer and why :)  

Price range is 500-800 if that makes a difference and I have no idea which laptop or tablet I'd get.

Thanks!

Mom to DD 14 and DS 12
#2 of 13 Old 06-08-2011, 09:11 AM

laptop all the way.

I think tablets are fun but if you have to do any serious typing on them, they suck.

#3 of 13 Old 06-08-2011, 09:44 AM

Laptop.

I love my iPad, but when I have to do homework, I do it on my MacBook.

There are plenty of good laptops out there and sales due to graduation time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

lady.gif
#4 of 13 Old 06-08-2011, 10:24 AM

I use a nebook for school.  It's nice that it is so lightweight, yet it holds all the programs I need.  A tablet or ipad is nice to use as an e-reader (you might look into that if you are going to school full-time and will for a while; many textbooks are now in electronic format), but for taking notes and writing papers, you'd want an actual computer. Of course, that totally depends on your program.  Some are more hands on and less lectures, you know?

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 13 Old 06-08-2011, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Laptop for sure. You'll drive yourself crazy doing heavy schoolwork on a tablet. 

ETA: Congrats on starting college!!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#6 of 13 Old 06-08-2011, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Laptop. Even my elementary school age child can't do all she needs to on a tablet

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#7 of 13 Old 06-08-2011, 02:38 PM

We have a laptop but have been toying around with the idea of an ipad.  Would having one of these make an ipad more interchangeable with a laptop?  I'm wondering if the main concern over an ipad is that they don't have a dedicated keyboard.

lather, rinse, repeat
#8 of 13 Old 06-09-2011, 06:54 AM

A tablet simply doesn't have the capabilities of a laptop. Period.

Also, some profs seem to be getting away from note taking via laptop in class. There was a piece on NPR a while back on it. Tapping noise from typing too distracting.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

lady.gif
#9 of 13 Old 06-09-2011, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Laptop it is :)  Thanks everyone.  I like this one (a bit over my range but I can save up longer) http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-43972AU/16503249 but I wonder if I should look for something smaller.  

I was wondering about the textbooks.  It's been a very long time since I've been to school and I'm not sure how things work anymore.

Mom to DD 14 and DS 12
#10 of 13 Old 06-09-2011, 03:57 PM

That Lenovo should do the trick just fine. The little ones are really handy for toting around, but a full-size keyboard makes a big difference when typing a lot. I just ordered a few Asus eeepcs for the school I teach at and they are pretty cool. But even though the keyboard is 92% of full size, which is a pretty good size, I find it annoying to type on. So if you are going to go smaller, I'd recommend getting the biggest keyboard you can.

As far as keyboards for tablets go, you totally could use a bluetooth keyboard with an iPad. If you have a good data plan on the iPad, you could store your files in the cloud (like with Google Docs). The tricky thing is printing, though. Unless the iPad 2 has printing capabilities I don't know about, you have to jump through some hoops to be able to print your files. There are some rumblings of tablet/laptop hybrids coming out, but I don't think there is anything on the market yet.

#11 of 13 Old 06-09-2011, 04:00 PM

I agree that a laptop is the better choice for school. Even with an extra keyboard, tablets just can't handle the workload that you need for school.  Also, my personal opinion is to skip the "netbooks" because they seem to get really slow and junky pretty fast. 

If you aren't starting school until Fall, I recommend waiting a month or two for all the back-to-school deals that usually start end of July/beginning of August. Pretty much everyone has them.  I got a new Dell 2 years ago for $500 that was normally almost $900, and they often bundle the computer with faster RAM, extra mouse, free printer, etc. Don't forget to get a bag/sleeve/case for your laptop as well.

As for text books, I'm a HUGE fan of half.com or amazon.com. So much cheaper than going with the college bookstore. Just be really careful that you double check which edition you are buying, because it really can make a huge difference. Also, my husband uses chegg.com to rent textbooks and he loves it.

Congrats on going back to school!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#12 of 13 Old 06-11-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

I agree that a laptop is the better choice for school. Even with an extra keyboard, tablets just can't handle the workload that you need for school.  Also, my personal opinion is to skip the "netbooks" because they seem to get really slow and junky pretty fast. 

If you aren't starting school until Fall, I recommend waiting a month or two for all the back-to-school deals that usually start end of July/beginning of August. Pretty much everyone has them.  I got a new Dell 2 years ago for $500 that was normally almost $900, and they often bundle the computer with faster RAM, extra mouse, free printer, etc. Don't forget to get a bag/sleeve/case for your laptop as well.

As for text books, I'm a HUGE fan of half.com or amazon.com. So much cheaper than going with the college bookstore. Just be really careful that you double check which edition you are buying, because it really can make a huge difference. Also, my husband uses chegg.com to rent textbooks and he loves it.

Congrats on going back to school!

I also recommend getting the best laptop you can manage. You will be using it hard and want to waste as little time as possible with crashes. Sometimes, Apple runs specials at back-to-school time that give you a free ipod touch with a new laptop for students. Then, you could have some of the fun of a tablet and a solid (albeit pricey) laptop.

#13 of 13 Old 06-12-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

I will wait till closer to school to buy and I'll get a laptop :)

Mom to DD 14 and DS 12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page