do you think you are addicted to the internet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 06-23-2011, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am.

I am not just whining, though, I am am actively going to try to stay off of it (starting tomorrow).  Today I will whine about my internet addicition.

Yes - total irony to post on a forum about addiction to forum - I just get the sense some of you understand.

Ugh.

Kathy

tinybutterfly likes this.
#2 of 28 Old 06-23-2011, 09:03 AM

No. I would have thought maybe yes. But then we didn't have internet for a couple of days(outage in the area). And except for not being able to talk to DH who is working away, I didn't miss it. I enjoy having it when it's there, and I admit I do waste too much time on it in many cases, but I can also take it or leave it.

Could you just unplug your router for a couple of days and give yourself a break? 

#3 of 28 Old 06-23-2011, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

yes.

I need a 12 step program. I've tried to quit on my own.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#4 of 28 Old 06-23-2011, 09:34 AM

The internet as a whole? No.

Mothering, Boing Boing, and my Gmail account? Yes.

I have to do a lot of work on the computer so I just switch back and forth between work and play throughout the day. Some days Im online all day long, some days I dont even check email. My email account is super active because of our business, and I do a lot of plant research and looking though prices of materials which gets really old. If I dont look at Mothering or BoingBoing I will go crazy. Also, I cant focus on businessey stuff when nursing DD.

I have taken breaks from the internet several times, and often go a day or so without even touching the computer, but I think I should probably use it less than I do smile.gif

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#5 of 28 Old 06-23-2011, 10:12 AM

Yeppers. I desperately want to instill a no-screen-time week for our family but I haven't done it yet. There is just so much exciting stuff on the internet! Videos, information, history, email, facebook, mothering, twws smile.gif, music, friends, tv shows, documentaries, connection....oh where does it end. I do have a goal this summer while the kid is out of school to go to the Y every morning and try to have some activity every day. This way I am not at home so I can't just escape any time I want. It doesn't help that I have ADD so my millions of thoughts and interests can be googled at any time day or night. eyesroll.gif

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#6 of 28 Old 06-23-2011, 10:25 AM

I am and I admit I am.  Not necessarily the Internet for Internet sake, it is more site specific but I feel it when I can't get on.  I get antsy, am afraid I might miss something.  It's really stupid. orngbiggrin.gif 

I keep threatening my family that we need an electronics free vacation.  One of those places on the beach with no electricity. Bonfires at night, transistor radio. Then I think who am I kidding!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#7 of 28 Old 06-23-2011, 11:56 AM

not at all..  I have to force myself to get online just to check my email :) 

I am trying to get on here more though since I'm nearing the end of my pregnancy and mdc got me through the constant nursing, 4 am wakings and pp freakouts last time. 

mischievous.gif
#8 of 28 Old 06-23-2011, 01:08 PM

Yes, absolutely. I am completely addicted. It's bothersome. When I'm not on the computer, I'm usually on my phone internet. I'm a sad case. help.gif

"We submit to the majority because we have to. But we are not compelled to call our attitude of subjection a posture of respect."
Ambrose Bierce 
#9 of 28 Old 06-23-2011, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post

Could you just unplug your router for a couple of days and give yourself a break? 

I thought of asking MDC to temporarily ban me for a couple of weeks - just to get myself off it.  We will see if I will.  I am OK when I am on vacation,  I barely miss it.  It is when I am at home (and occasionally at work) that I overdo it

Glad I am not alone.

#10 of 28 Old 06-23-2011, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Yes, addicted. As in, I can't quit even though I want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I thought of asking MDC to temporarily ban me for a couple of weeks - just to get myself off it.  We will see if I will.  I am OK when I am on vacation,  I barely miss it.  It is when I am at home (and occasionally at work) that I overdo it

Glad I am not alone.

Huh. Interesting thought.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#11 of 28 Old 06-23-2011, 01:37 PM

I have wondered this-- there are times where I want to get off the net and just can't.  I don't count checking/ responding to email as "bad," since these are relationships I need to nurture, but the problem is that I then go from email to all the addictive sites... my weaknesses are news/ politics sites and message boards even though I am not that into politics dizzy.gif ... but once I start reading I can't stop and then I'll start reading one depressing news article after another.  I also game a bit which again I don't really count as "bad" as long as I keep it to an hour or so.  I don't watch TV so I figure 2-3 hours of computer time a day isn't that bad... is it?

#12 of 28 Old 06-23-2011, 02:46 PM

Yeah, we don't have TV either but I spend just as much time with netflix. Once I had DP hide the router cord. That lasted a day. I do feel better if I can force myself to take a day or so break, kinda makes me remember what else there is to do.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#13 of 28 Old 06-23-2011, 03:28 PM

Yes, I am very addicted. I don't have an internet phone or anything but when I am home I am always running to the computer for "just 5 minutes"... For me, I am such a people person but so shy/socially awkward at the same time, that I have a hard time getting enough social time IRL, so I rely tremendously on the internet (specifically email, MDC...) It's definitely something I *want* to work on and I am hoping once I get my health issues under control I'll have more energy to pursue other activities. Plus I always get sucked into interesting online discussions when I'm bored at work & NEED to stay on the computer... so then I have to come back later when I'm not working to continue reading etc.!

Good luck with staying off tomorrow...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#14 of 28 Old 06-23-2011, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

completely addicted

#15 of 28 Old 06-23-2011, 06:24 PM

Yes.

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#16 of 28 Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 AM

Yes. I spend way too much time in front of the computer but I use it for everything. I watch tv shows on it, I talk to my sisters, I do fun stuff, I blog, I upload and edit pics, I use the calendar, check the weather, listen to radio, look for recipes, read the news. It's a machine full of answers to my random questions: what is the weird bug in my garden? how do you refinish an old wood floor? how do you hang a door? when did xyz movie come out? what does random word I keep running into really mean? how do I say xyz in french? 

Our modem wasn't working for 2 days last month and it was hell. The questions were eating away at me. It was torture! I don't know what I did before internet. I felt like I should invest in a set of encyclopedias, reference and how to books in case of apocalyptic events. I'm sort of joking but not really. 

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#17 of 28 Old 06-24-2011, 07:41 AM

Totally.  I actually had DH put a password on the computer and set up the parental controls so I can only have access to it two times a day.   I realize that sounds ridiculous but I find it really helpful!  Really!  I don't even think about the computer if I know I can't use it so it's totally fine.    I hope someday to be able to self regulate but this has been really helpful. 

#18 of 28 Old 06-24-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAtHome View Post

Yes. I spend way too much time in front of the computer but I use it for everything. I watch tv shows on it, I talk to my sisters, I do fun stuff, I blog, I upload and edit pics, I use the calendar, check the weather, listen to radio, look for recipes, read the news. It's a machine full of answers to my random questions: what is the weird bug in my garden? how do you refinish an old wood floor? how do you hang a door? when did xyz movie come out? what does random word I keep running into really mean? how do I say xyz in french? 

Our modem wasn't working for 2 days last month and it was hell. The questions were eating away at me. It was torture! I don't know what I did before internet. I felt like I should invest in a set of encyclopedias, reference and how to books in case of apocalyptic events. I'm sort of joking but not really. 

Yes- all of this.  it's a MAGIC BOX that  KNOWS ALL!!!  Really, yes, I use it too much right now.  I need to change that.  I am hoping that the move to a new area will allow me to establish different rhythms within my life.   

I did unplug our second computer so I HAVE to be off when one of the kids is using the computer.  Since my oldest uses it for research and for fun, that helps a lot. :P

#19 of 28 Old 06-24-2011, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Nope.  I get on more when the chronic fatigue is acting up.  I've been finding it pretty boring lately.  Maybe I need to find some new sites.  I get on to check email, fb, to check yahoo homeschool groups, research ideas of places to take ds and things to do. 

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#20 of 28 Old 06-24-2011, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I don't think so. I'm hardly ever online on the weekends, and I don't miss it. It might help that my work and home computers, while both at home, are separate, and I never go on any non-work-related sites while I'm working (my company is very Big Brother and I'm skeered that they can see everything I'm doing). I surf for about an hour in the morning and again in the afternoon, and that's about it.

There have been times when I spent way more time online, but then I got bored of it. There are really only 2 sites I visit regularly (MDC and TwoP), and now that MDC is so slow it's easy to get updated on everything in a short period of time. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#21 of 28 Old 06-24-2011, 10:19 AM

Yes, I am.  Our internet & cable was out several times one day and I realized then exactly how much I use the internet.  I decided to cook and bake all day, but all of the recipes I wanted to use I found online.  Then I was thinking about putting our chicks outside in their chicken tractor so I wanted to check the weather...  Nope.  Couldn't do that either.  I put them out anyway and an hour later it's pouring rain and I'm outside getting soaked while trying to put them back in their coop.  So yeah, I'm pretty sure that I'm completely addicted to the internet.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#22 of 28 Old 06-24-2011, 11:07 AM

Hello, I'm Chaoticzenmom and I am an internet addict.  I just started an MSW and I know we're going to be discussing addiction in depth.  I'm going to be squirming in my seat.  I keep trying to read scholarly journals, and then hopping over here instead...not good. 

I know what you mean about recipes and weather and any medical issue that happens with anything, me, animals, pets, friends, friends pets. 

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#23 of 28 Old 06-24-2011, 01:41 PM

No, I am not. I have purposely not gotten a smartphone for just this reason. I don't want access every waking minute. I rather enjoy time spent away from it.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#24 of 28 Old 06-24-2011, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *bejeweled* View Post

No, I am not. I have purposely not gotten a smartphone for just this reason. I don't want access every waking minute. I rather enjoy time spent away from it.

Yep, me too.

BTW, I have connection issues so while it looks like I'm online all the time.. the truth is, its easier to keep the connection up than to have my computer struggle to re-load all the time. I get on just ten minutes a handful of times a day. I check my email, check Mothering and then I do a little rcki-tikki-tavi research on whatever my mind has chosen today that it wants to find out more about and I'm gone again.
*bejeweled* likes this.
#25 of 28 Old 06-24-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bejeweled* View Post

Yep, me too.

BTW, I have connection issues so while it looks like I'm online all the time.. the truth is, its easier to keep the connection up than to have my computer struggle to re-load all the time. I get on just ten minutes a handful of times a day. I check my email, check Mothering and then I do a little rcki-tikki-tavi research on whatever my mind has chosen today that it wants to find out more about and I'm gone again.

I tend to leave a bunch up and as I cruise past I check in. 

#26 of 28 Old 06-24-2011, 02:11 PM

I often take breaks from the internet because I know I am on too much.

I don't watch much t.v.,  but the computer is still screen time, so I don't see the difference between being a t.v. couch potato and a computer couch potato.

I watch too many DVDs, too. I LOVE movies.

Anyway, I have taken breaks and sometimes they are longish breaks. Right now I seem to be doing better at regulating my online time, but if I feel I am on too much again, I will pull back.

My goal is to only go certain places for a certain amount of time. I have two message boards I like, fb and email. There are a few blogs I like, but I don't read regularly anymore. I don't visit all the places in one day anymore. Nope.

I heartbeat.gif Google and youtube! I can get sucked into youtube for waaaay too long. bag.gif

Good luck! You can DO this!

I am back after a fairly long MDC break and I just came back from a @ month long internet break ( except for a couple of slips.) It's kind of hard if email/fb is your main way to stay in touch with people.

You aren't alone. hug2.gif

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#27 of 28 Old 06-24-2011, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

For me, I am such a people person but so shy/socially awkward at the same time, that I have a hard time getting enough social time IRL, so I rely tremendously on the internet ..

I can relate. I'm social, but we've moved so, so so many times that I just can't get enthusiastic about making friends IRL. The internet is my crutch. I get a little social *fix* and I don't have to deal with figuring out which 3 dimensional people I like.

purslaine and crunchy_mommy like this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#28 of 28 Old 08-28-2011, 06:20 PM

yes yes and yes need i say more. although lately have gotten bored with it but dont know what else to do with my time when i am not taking of my kids.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page