Imagine you have a rescue (when a puppy) pittbull mix; imagine he's already biten 3 people... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Each time the dog was provoked, and at least one of those times he was loose when he wasn't supposed to.

You have 6 kids and you live paycheck to paycheck, with DH who is unemployed alcoholic and doesn't help out. You work 2 jobs, and you try REALLY hard to keep the dog either tied ouside, on a long rope, or inside the house, and take him for 1 long walk a day, but he still gets loose.

He's a strong dog, and he broke collar several times, and he chews through the rope / leash. You just spent $150 to have him neutered, and you just paid a fine to the city after a complaint. You have no more money to spend on this dog. (You have one other dog and two cats, all rescues.)

Just a month ago, right after the first biting episode, you left him on the porch and went for a 4 hour trip with the kids, and when you were out, the dog got loose. Your neighbours tried to catch him for you by offering treats, but he became scared and somewhat aggressive and avoided capture.

The dog is good natured, but unpredictable.

Now, you have neighbours, with no fence in between. The neighbours have 3 kids, and one of the kids is TERRIEFIED of dogs, and your dog specifically, and the other is just a toddler and is scared too. Your kids often play in the neighbours' yard, and vice versa.

Yesterday your dog dashed out the door, and ran into the neighbours' yard, scaring her kids. You feel BAD about it. You do try really hard to control the dog, but you are always tired, always running from job to job, feel unsupported by your husband, and you really do your best to hold it all together, being a good mom, a good house keeper. You feel helpless.

You know the neighbours are understanding, and haven't reported you to the animal services; but you can sense the neighbours are getting more concerned about the safety of your dog.

What would you want your neighbours to do or say to you, as not to make you feel defensive? What could they offer so you would be able to find a solution for the situation?

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#2 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I would tell the neighbors that I'm doing everything I can to find a breed rescue and the dog will have a new home soon.

I am almost never in favor of giving up a dog but it does not sound like you have the time or facilities to train or even contain this dog. 

Start calling around and see if someone can take the dog.  You may have to call a LOT of places.  I had to place some beautiful very sweet kittens who had been dropped off in my yard and it took six weeks and lots of begging on my part to find them a place, but I did it.  If you just keep calling, you will eventually find a breed rescue or someone who is prepared to rehome him.

#3 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 02:09 PM

I would get rid of the dog asap because clearly I am already overwhelmed without it and just do not need the extra emotional and financial stress in my life.  Tying the dog on the porch and leaving for 4 hours is such crappy judgement that I don't know what was going through my head.  I'd also dump the dh.

As a neighbour, I'd report the dog situation asap and as often as necessary until the dog was gone because I don't need to worry about my kids being attacked or even jumped on by some unpredictable dog every time they go outside.

Bokonon and rainbow_mandala like this.
#4 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Honestly? I expect my answer won't be popular and I'm braced for the backlash. It's already bitten 3 people. I would euthanize the dog. 

It would be heartbreaking and I'd be miserable about it. But I would never trust that this animal wouldn't seriously harm someone someday. I've owned several dogs, all pretty big (boxer, huskies, a lab mix) but never one that's bitten someone. 

#5 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

Honestly? I expect my answer won't be popular and I'm braced for the backlash. It's already bitten 3 people. I would euthanize the dog. 

It would be heartbreaking and I'd be miserable about it. But I would never trust that this animal wouldn't seriously harm someone someday. I've owned several dogs, all pretty big (boxer, huskies, a lab mix) but never one that's bitten someone. 

yeahthat.gif

homewithtwinsmama likes this.

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#6 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

I completely agree.

It's not up to the neighbors to make you feel better about the situation.  It's up to you to control your dog, and if you can't, then you shouldn't have the dog.  And since it's already been aggressive and bitten 3(!) people, I'd say this dog is a huge liability and the situation could turn tragic at any time.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#7 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post

I would tell the neighbors that I'm doing everything I can to find a breed rescue and the dog will have a new home soon.

I am almost never in favor of giving up a dog but it does not sound like you have the time or facilities to train or even contain this dog. 

Start calling around and see if someone can take the dog.  You may have to call a LOT of places.  I had to place some beautiful very sweet kittens who had been dropped off in my yard and it took six weeks and lots of begging on my part to find them a place, but I did it.  If you just keep calling, you will eventually find a breed rescue or someone who is prepared to rehome him.

This.

Is your neighbor receptive to what you might offer? I'd hate for you to go through all that trouble & have the neighbor turn her nose up at the help (and if that's the case, I'd just call Animal Control and report them), but if you think she'd be open to ideas, see if you can come up with a couple of phone numbers of rescues and offer to make all the arrangements even, if you're comfortable with that.

We had to give a dog up. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but I have never regretted it... I needed to keep my kid safe.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#8 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Also I believe the OP is the neighbor in this scenario, not the dog owner (correct me if I'm wrong, OP!)
MadiMamacita and homestyle like this.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#9 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 03:46 PM

If it was my dog I would have it put to sleep the next day. No fence, no money to buy a fence to enclose this dog who has proven to be aggressive and a poor track record for controlling the dog.

Not an option to adopt the dog out IMO because we are talking about an animal that has attacked 3 people already, the next could be the toddler next door and no apology can fix the damage that a pitbull can do. :(

OP, if you are the neighbour without the dog I would lock the kids in the house, keep a baseball bat near the area the kids DO play and buy mace JIC. Sorry, not a popular opinon but I have a cousin who was attacked by her mother's rescued rotti (and I have had and loved rotti's and am a huge dog lover, have 2 dogs myself) and the mother never thought anything would happen because the dog reacted to other people to protect her DD. :(

#10 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 03:57 PM

As a responsible dog owner with a stressful life I would beg any rescue to take him back. A good rescue will always take back their dog. I would give very detailed history of the dog before giving it to the rescue. I would tell the rescue if they can't take him, he would have to be put down, which isn't an option I would want to take but it would be reasonable giving that the dog has bitten 3 people.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#11 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 03:58 PM

This dog is still around having bitten THREE people?!  I'm a huge fan of rescue, and I will go to great lengths to try to rehabilitate a dog, but once they bite a person they need to be euthanized.  I get how hard that is, I really do.  I had a wonderful lab and recently had to make the decision that she was not a safe animal to have.  I was absolutely devastated, however, I don't regret the decision.

A pitbull- no question, it's one of those breeds that when they do become aggressive- they need not to be rehomed, they can do so much damage that you really can't risk keeping a dog like that around. (I used to have another bull breed- love them, will not have one ever near kids, if they DO bite, the outcome is SO much worse than most other breeds.) 

OP, if you are the neighbor- PLEASE call animal control- repeatedly- until this has been addressed.  This is a dog who is going to really hurt someone. 

chewynotcrunchy likes this.
#12 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 04:16 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

This dog is still around having bitten THREE people?!  I'm a huge fan of rescue, and I will go to great lengths to try to rehabilitate a dog, but once they bite a person they need to be euthanized.  I get how hard that is, I really do.  I had a wonderful lab and recently had to make the decision that she was not a safe animal to have.  I was absolutely devastated, however, I don't regret the decision.

A pitbull- no question, it's one of those breeds that when they do become aggressive- they need not to be rehomed, they can do so much damage that you really can't risk keeping a dog like that around. (I used to have another bull breed- love them, will not have one ever near kids, if they DO bite, the outcome is SO much worse than most other breeds.) 

OP, if you are the neighbor- PLEASE call animal control- repeatedly- until this has been addressed.  This is a dog who is going to really hurt someone. 

yes, this. 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#13 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

Also I believe the OP is the neighbor in this scenario, not the dog owner (correct me if I'm wrong, OP!)

My bad then.  I just thought it was the OP with the dog, because of the detailed information about the dog owner's home life?

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#14 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

the dog needs to be put to sleep. i would not give the dog away knowing that i could potentially hurt someone else.

mama to one '07 and one '09
#15 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Another vote for putting the dog down. It just sounds too risky. After three biting incidents, I don't think you can really give the dog the benefit of the doubt, provoked or no. Definitely not with kids around.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#16 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 05:30 PM

When we gave up our dog, we were able to specify in detail the types of situations he'd been dangerous in & they were able to find him a home with no children & a low-risk environment. Maybe this dog is too aggressive even for that though...

#17 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

How old is the dog? I ask because you say that it's bitten 3 people, but that the first biting episode was a just month ago. So is the dog several years old and never bit anyone until last month, or is the dog a puppy? If it's an adult dog with no prior biting incidents, is it sick or hurting? 

In any case, clearly a dog who is known to chew through its leashes/ropes shouldn't be left tied up unattended outside for 4 hours -- of course it's going to get free! So the neighbors would have to either:

--assure me that they'd find a way to have control over their dog at all times (crate training or a securely fenced area, for example, when they leave it unattended), or

--if becoming a responsible dog owner isn't doable for whatever reason, then consult a breed rescue and ask whether, based on the dog's age and biting incidents, the dog should be rehomed or put down.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#18 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'd have the dog put down or report to animal control until they deal with it.It sounds like a very difficult situation, but one that needs to be dealt with, and SOON.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#19 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

I'm the OP. That's my neighbours' dog. He's about a year old. The biting incidents happened in the last month. They had him since he was the size of a hamster, so no traumatic experiences in the dog's past. The first biting incident was when he got loose, ran out into the street, and a passerby who had a child in a stroller got scared and kicked the dog. I'm not sure how the other incidents happened. The fitrst incident was reported, and Animal Control came and fined them.

DH talked to her today. They had spoken to dog trainders; they got a different collar that seems to be working; they've neutered the dog. She said the last incident of him getting loose happened when she was getting out of the van with the two dogs, and the other dog pushed this one out. She does say that the dog IS unpredictable and can't be trusted. What I don't understand, was how on earth she allowed him to be loose, while getting out of the van??

Turns out DH didn't offer any ideas on how we could help, and didnt' suggest getting a fence and splitting the price. He feels she is doing all she can in that situation, other than euthenising the dog.

I called the Animal Control, just to talk to them without reporting, and they said they couldn't let me know whether she'd be fined or what not. They told me I could make an anonymous report, but hey, it would be pretty obvious who reported them, there are no other options. And if I report, and the dog is removed, I can pretty much see our life here as living hell. We'd need to move, seriously.

I do feel for them. I don't want to cause hardship for this family. They are nice, hard working people, good natured and friendly. But sh*t. What if it happens again, just another accident, and this time he will bite my kid?

Thank you for the replies. I will have to discuss with DH again and see whether we'd report. DH feels that we cannot bomb proof everything in our life, and this is an acceptable risk. I'm not that sure that this particular risk is acceptable. But I'm also not sure how high is the risk. 1%? 60%? I don't know...And I don't know yet what level of risk is acceptable to me in this situation...

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#20 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I hope you guys can come to some resolution.  I do not understand taking on animals when you don't have the time for them, I don't know what gets into people. 

I also want to say that there's biting and there's attacking.  And then there are untrained puppies.  I don't think a dog is beyond redemption just because it lives with people who don't do their job and train the poor thing. 

#21 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

That's the thing. I don't belive he dog is malicious or overly aggressive. But unpredictable + lax ownership = me being worried about him biting my child...

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#22 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightwriter View Post

Thank you for the replies. I will have to discuss with DH again and see whether we'd report. DH feels that we cannot bomb proof everything in our life, and this is an acceptable risk. I'm not that sure that this particular risk is acceptable. But I'm also not sure how high is the risk. 1%? 60%? I don't know...And I don't know yet what level of risk is acceptable to me in this situation...

It isn't an acceptable risk. No one can tell you how high or low the risk is, but it doesn't matter. It is a risk, and it is your child who the risk involves. It is not an easy decision, you are very aware of what will happen which makes it that more difficult. I really feel for you, it will mean appearing like "the bad guy" when really you are a mother protecting her family from a proven threat. hug2.gif

Almost 2 years, my beloved dog that we had for 7 years bit my middle child. Got my then 3y on the hand. I did what you are supposed to do, did a full work up at the vet, never allowed the dog around children unless I was right there within arms reach. One day I was right there, the dog jumped up so fast and bit the same child on the face, bruised her more then anything thank goodness. I went to the top behaviorist in the area, there was really nothing left to do but euthanize in our minds. In the end, an elderly couple who was very aware of our dog and issues, had extensive experience with aggression and training, wanted him. I am still the bad guy in my family, DH never saw the real risk, still blames me for getting rid of the dog, the child that was bit asks why. For me, I am ok with this perceived role. I would rather deal with the comments then an injured child. 6 months prior to our dog starting to bite my children, DD1's classmate's little sister was bit by a  neighbor dog. She was 3 years old, the dog had no history of aggression, the owners and parents were right there and powerless to stop it in time. She now has a scar that required many hours of plastic surgery to look as good as it does. It extends from her eye down to her mouth. I had her beautiful little face in my mind when I looked at my dog and my child. That dog had no warning signs prior to the attack, mine did bit twice, I wasn't going to let there there be a 3rd time. Maybe he never would of, I could say a thousand maybes. But there was a risk, and that risk is enough. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#23 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightwriter View Post

This isn't so much a risk, as an inevitability.  This dog is not yet mature, and is already showing very scary behavior patterns.  If your children play outside, and this dog is around, someone is going to be hurt.  With a pitbull, a bite is more likely to be lethal than with most other breeds.  Please understand that I am not trying to be alarmist here, but this is a situation where you will need to completely fence YOUR yard (with 6 foot fence- minimum) and not let your kids out of it, or the dog needs to go away. 

The reality is that when this dog snaps again, each bite/incident will get progressively worse, the  dog will become more efficient at biting, and he will not stop when called away- that's the danger with this breed, their tenacity is something you will not overcome- couple that with jaws that truly lock in a way only a few breeds do and you have a setup for true tragedy. 

transylvania_mom and Bokonon like this.
#24 of 93 Old 06-30-2011, 09:31 PM

I would ask the neighbor to always keep the dog indoors or on leash.  Because that dog is a loaded gun.  

But since the family is overwhelmed and can't seem to get it together, I would ask them to give away the dog for the safety of the 9 children living in close proximity to the dog.  

I agree, you have to find a rescue that is used to aggressive dogs and guarantees them a place for the rest of their lives.  Like :DogTown."  Because a standard animal control shelter ... they could be placed in the wrong home and someone else will be exposed to the dog and perhaps harmed, or the dog will be put to sleep -- most likely the latter.

Terrible situation, I feel for all concerned -- dog probably just needs some good training and a really focused, strong owner.   But I want the kids in the neighborhood SAFE.

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#25 of 93 Old 07-01-2011, 03:39 AM

Another vote for putting the dog down. You have to report it, not just for your sake, but other people's as well.

It's sad and it sucks, but it's really not going to matter that it was good-natured most of the time if it causes someone serious injury, or worse.

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#26 of 93 Old 07-01-2011, 05:19 AM

that sounds like an awful situation.  i too, don't believe involving outside parties in matters that could be solved between neighbors.

however: i don't see that the dog is going to be given the attention and socializing it would need to not be a danger.  that puppy is going to grow into a big, and dangerous dog pretty quickly.  it's pretty clear your neighbor isn't, sadly, able to make good decisions about something that affects everyone.  i would maybe make one more attempt to get the neighbors to take the dog to the shelter, and then i would probably end up calling the animal control anyway.  you will probably have to wait until the dog bites someone or gets loose again to make a report that will be taken seriously by animal control. 

i'm not a fearful person, especially where dogs are concerned, but this one, i don't think waiting in this situation is going to lead to anything but a tragic ending.

eta: you sound like a very awesome, understanding, and compassionate neighbor.  it's obvious you've really thought about everything from your neighbor's pov.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#27 of 93 Old 07-01-2011, 05:22 AM

Just read the OP, and a couple of other's on the way here, BUT..... my initial reaction is to protect my children from danger. That is our role as a parent right?

Not helicopter parent, but big huge danger.

I am also a huge animal advocate, I will do what ever it takes to help an animal out, but have to protect my little animals over everything else:)

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#28 of 93 Old 07-01-2011, 05:58 AM

I'm finding it hard to imagine that if the dog has bitten 3 people animal control has not become involved. Did any of these bites require medical attention? 

#29 of 93 Old 07-01-2011, 06:02 AM

I'm finding it hard to imagine that if the dog has bitten 3 people animal control has not become more seriously involved, like ordering the dog be kenneled or behind a fence or even removing the dog. Did any of these bites require medical attention? 

Quote:

called the Animal Control, just to talk to them without reporting, and they said they couldn't let me know whether she'd be fined or what not. They told me I could make an anonymous report, but hey, it would be pretty obvious who reported them, there are no other options. And if I report, and the dog is removed, I can pretty much see our life here as living hell. We'd need to move, seriously.

I do feel for them. I don't want to cause hardship for this family. They are nice, hard working people, good natured and friendly. 

Nice good natured people do not make you feel like your life will become a living hell and you will be forced to move because you report their dangerous dog. 

LynnS6 and peainthepod like this.
#30 of 93 Old 07-01-2011, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

I'd repeatedly report to animal control until the situation changed, even though the neighbor might hate me for it.

My child's safety would be number one for 1.

I couldn't forgive myself if I were lax and my child (or another child) were hurt.

broodymama and Purple Sage like this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page