JFF: Changes As I Get Older... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 07-03-2011, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just for fun, and because my 35th birthday is coming up...

1.  I can't drive at night very well.  I'm constantly checking my headlights because they don't seem like they're on.  Driving in snow or heavy rain also freaks me out more than it used to.

2.  I don't like crowds anymore...

3.  ...thus, I'm starting to not like holidays.  Parade crowds, fireworks crowds, shopping crowds at Christmas.  No thanks.

4.  I can no longer to a flying jump off of a swing.  I tried this recently.  My kids laughed.

5.  I am become VERY squeamish about what I touch.  If I could keep my hands dry all day, I'd be happy.  Dish gloves are a must for just about every household task.  I cringe when DH squeezes out a sponge with his bare hands, or when DD1 reaches blindly under a rock at tide pool.  Yuck.

6.  I am amazed at my former college self who used to work 70 hours a week while taking 18 credits, and still went out to the bar with friends at least every other night.  How did I have that much energy?

7.  Horror films scare the crap out of me now, and I often tear up at commercials.

8.  I am just generally more cynical and crotchety :)

So, what about you?  How have you changed as you've aged?  (Let's keep it light, ok?)

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 42 Old 07-03-2011, 04:05 PM

I am 46, but most of these just started in the last few years.

1.  I hate going "out" at night because the music is too loud and there is nowhere to sit.

2.  I need bifocals.

3.  I, the original nightowl, am tired and want to be in my pajamas by about 8pm and in bed by 11.

4.  I am at the stage in my life where my kids are grown and I don't have grandchildren yet, and the sound of children screaming wears on my very last nerve.  I am sure that when I have grandchildren it will go back to not bothering me, like it didn't when I had little ones.

5.  I pay attention to my bowel habits blush.gif.

6.  I don't need anything for my birthday/Christmas anymore.

7.  My hearing is going.

8.  I had a hysterectomy last summer and it took months to feel like I was back to normal.  After I had a c-section 22 years ago, I was back on my feet and raring to go after 2 weeks.

So many more!  I try to have a young attitude, and I am still relatively young (right?RIGHT?), but my body lets me know I am not 20 anymore.

#3 of 42 Old 07-03-2011, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

I'm 35.

1. I need glasses to drive now

2. Loudness (music, general noise) annoys me and makes it hard for me to concentrate

3. I have skewed perceptions regarding myself and my peers. Just this afternoon I noticed an old school mate's name on a list of committee members. My first though was "Hm, he's only my age; not really old enough to have that sort of responsibility." My next though was "Um, Katelove? He's 35. That's considered grownup in most places." lol.gif

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 42 Old 07-03-2011, 11:03 PM

I'm spitting distance to 40 and this is what I've noticed...

1) I used to be able to go 8-10 hours without needing to pee.  Nowadays, its 4 hours max.

2) I used to be able to wolf down a meal in 10 minutes flat.  Nowadays, I actually have to chew and wait for each bite to go down or I feel funny later.

3) I used to be able to sleep in.  Nowadays, I'm up by 6am (like it or not), and need to go to bed by 10pm. 

4) I used to go out with friends after dinner for a movie, coffee, hang out.  Now though, I just want to chill out at home after dinner before heading off to bed.

5) I used to love going to festivals, exhibits, places with lots to see with lots of people.  Now I can't stand the line ups, the constant standing and the rude people.

6) I used to be quite aware of my looks, clothes, hair etc.  Now though, as long as I'm relatively clean and neat, I'm good.

7) I used to be able to spend money on frivilous things, eg. $13 for a CD single.  Now I cringe when I spend $5 for a luxery item like make up.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#5 of 42 Old 07-04-2011, 10:02 AM

This thread is depressing. Has anyone improved with age?? :P

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#6 of 42 Old 07-04-2011, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliaceae View Post

LOL, I guess it depends on how you look at aging.  I find that it's quite an amusing adventure :)  Yes, I've improved, but I think I've improved in all the stereotypical ways, which isn't as fun.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#7 of 42 Old 07-04-2011, 11:24 AM

Yes, I have also improved with age.  I used to obsess endlessly about doing the right thing.  Now, I am confident in my decisions and live a much happier life without the stress.  I also look several years younger than many people I went to school with.  Except for the intolerance to screaming children, nothing much bugs me anymore.  I don't judge people the way I used to.  My sex life is better.  There is a lot to enjoy about getting older.

#8 of 42 Old 07-04-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah baby it does!

I turn 40 on Xmas eve this year.

I am done with child bearing, my kids are both in school full time starting this fall. I love watching them age and now they are little people with their own personalities.

Since we made it official, we are done with the making babies, sex is great. No worries about 'trying' or accidents etc. Also, maturity brings wisdom and know how in the bedroom.

I have been working with a personal trainer the past two years. When I was 24, I would do the excercises I do now and I would be a skinny Minny within months, weeks no doubt. Now its much harder but wow I am in the best shape of my life. Doing chores that require lifting, landscaping etc are a piece of cake now because I am very strong and can do all this.

As  you get older, you learn to say- The hell with it. You realize, life is too short or too busy to deal with drama, BS, whatever. Hopefully you realize, you are in your prime and can watch your children grow, enjoy your partner etc.

Also, when you were in your twenties, you went to a lot of weddings, you partied, had fun and didnt think about what could happen in the future. Your late 20s, and then your 30s- you learned Life happens. The good and the Bad. When you are turning 40, you go to a lot of funerals and then you go to weddings still, but a lot of 2nd and even 3rd weddings!

At 40, you have seen devastation to either yourself, your spouse or a close friend or family member. You remember it and continue your life and hopefully you heal and move on and learn from it.

As you age, you realize that no matter how much advice you have or how many times you can tell someone something, they are not going to do it and you shut the heck up hopefully and move on and mind your own business. You also learn not to get involved and let other people live their lives. At least if you want to have friends, good family etc.  

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#9 of 42 Old 07-04-2011, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Quote:

Yup. I'm much happier now. I know how to work with my problems much more effectively and how to bring joy into my life. And I'm even physically better off than I was in my early 20's. I don't get sick nearly as often and I'm much stronger. I finally found the exercise that works for me, and having a 46 lb 4 yo that loves being carried helps with building strength, too. 

I'm almost 43 now.

Mom to DD 8 and DS 6.
#10 of 42 Old 07-05-2011, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

i am 46. 

so far this is the best me that has ever walked the planet. 

the things that have improved - is my own confidence. i am so much more confident and do everything with surity. i notice more people listen to what i have to say now than when i was younger. i no longer shave my legs for anyone and i am about comfort than style, but as a friend pointed out its that inner confidence - that what the heck attitude is very refreshing. i really dont give a damn and guess what? i am the most social i have ever been. i talk to one and everyone and they respond back and i so enjoy our conversations - even if its at the checkout line. my favourite moments are starting a conversation with a stranger and continuing for an hour because its so good and parting as long lost friends. i have made so many close friends that way. this is huge for me as i am a wallflower. i used to struggle to small talk and sometimes now i am the  life of the party. that is so weird for me. 

my favourite thing is this sense of freedom i have. nothing is a big deal anymore. i dont choose activities by good or bad but just out of curiosity. and i have so many pleasant surprises. it is sooo freeing not to overthink. or figure out which is the most logical, clever way of doing things. 

i refuse to wear heels anymore and sometimes just waking up and seeing a beautiful day makes me feel i am walking in one. 

my greatest gift of getting old is to know when to stay silent (still struggling with it as a parent though). now i understand the silence the zen monks kept. it feels sooo great to just empathise with a person instead of trying to fix their problems.

it feels wonderful to know your feelings and have a stand about most things. great gift as a parent - coz when i empathise with dd i am completely honest when i say this looks like a big deal now but its not. i notice when i say that now - because i do with full conviction - dd really gets my message and is starting to 'uhm not that important' herself. 

yeah i need reading glasses, i am not as flexible as i thought i was, i forget things so much more easily, i need to think longer to remember what i did for 4th of july last year and i finally remember a few days later. if i dont rate my netflix watched movies there are real good chances i might rent it again and realise in the first 5 mins i have already watched it. 

my days start real early so by 3/4 pm i am ready for a nap. however i cant nap so i do quiet time. read a book. just sit and listen to some music, really listen to music and realise all these years i have missed 'i'll even kiss the sunset pig' in joni mitchell's California. i no longer want to go to clubs. instead i love sitting at my favourite cafe with a favourite book. 

i am no longer 'afraid' to go somewhere alone and enjoy doing many things on my own. 

going into perimenopause or is it menopause by now i find alas coffee puts me to sleep, not wake me up. it is ridiculous. within one hour my eyes are sooo tired that even others can tell v. easily. 

along with this 'high on life' feeling comes my best physical health. i am no longer flexible, i cant go go go as i used to, by 5 pm i am crochety, yet i never fall sick even though everyone around me is sick. 

the nightowl me love waking up early in the morning to enjoy the break of dawn and then go back to sleep for the best sleep ever. 

but oh gosh what i hate most?

my dry frizzy old people hair - or at least what i have left. my beautiful silky smooth hair is gone forever so i just admire it on dd. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#11 of 42 Old 07-05-2011, 10:22 AM

Good golly, some of you ladies are youngsters!  I'll be 48 this year.  orngtongue.gif

I'm happy with my present self but there are little things that are sneaking up on me:

1.  I have to wear contact lenses and reading glasses;

2.  I'd rather lay on a bed of nails than go on a roller coaster (and I used to be a big fan of roller coasters);

3.  Insomnia, which leads to moodiness;

4.  Lower tolerance to cold;

5.  Lower tolerance to people.

I suppose there's more but those are the big ones.

Stuff I like about my aging self:

1.  Only a few more years to be on the rag;

2.  Tend to be a lot more relaxed in my views on certain things;

3.  Really starting to appreciate why my mother would have emotional outbursts when she was my present age;

4.  Feel really comfortable in my own body...

There's other things I like, but those are the big ones. 

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#12 of 42 Old 07-05-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Alright, I'll list my positives then LOL.  I am much more comfortable with my body and my role in both my family and in society.  While becoming very confident in the decisions that I have made, I have also been able to open my mind more and accept, and sometimes even encourage, that others make choices contrary to those that I have made (or would have made).  I guess more of a "live and let live" philosophy.  When I was younger I was willing to die on every single hill and just *knew* that I knew everything about everything.  Now I know that I know very little, which is actually pretty refreshing :)

This is both a positive and a negative, I guess, but I worry more.  A lot more.  If DH is late coming home from the movies, or if the kids decide to ride a roller coaster at the fair, or they climb a really tall tree, I worry.  This is a positive because it also makes me appreciate my own mother *a lot* more.  Which leads me to another thing...

...I am much more accepting of my own flaws and the flaws in others.  In fact, I find that people's flaws are often what makes them endearing and interesting.  

#13 of 42 Old 07-05-2011, 12:31 PM

Believe you me, I knew EVERTHING in my teens, twenties and some thirties. The greatest gift of turning 35, was realizing I  dont know shit or I know a lot of interesting things but not everything!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#14 of 42 Old 07-05-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:

I'm still a young'un in my 20s but I'm looking forward to being older to be honest. My 20s have so far just been so confusing and unstable, confusion and completely lost in one! The only direction I've had is being a mom. Roll on my 40s when things are figured out and more secure! lol weird eh! I feel older in some ways but I don't have that wisdom or security etc...peace of mind, confidence, self acceptance and more reassured etc you get when older. Anyone else felt lost in their 20s? please tell me you don't still feel that when older lol 

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#15 of 42 Old 07-05-2011, 07:29 PM

My 20's were he!!, I'm 37 now and things are much better in the fact that I seem to understand life better. My child is 10, I've come to accept the fact I may never have another one, and that's ok.  I may never have a partner and thats ok too.  

But I need glasses,

my back hurts to no end some days,

I've spend many years (off and on) in therapy figuring things out- I think I've almost got it!

My teeth are starting to fall apart. After 35 yrs of no issues I needed a crown OUCH and other things need to be done

People and crowds bother me

I can not tolerate the heat

Things that are better

I love the library even more than I thought was possible

I am accepting of people, whoever they are, however they are

I've learned how to cook!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#16 of 42 Old 07-05-2011, 08:21 PM

I'm 40 and I agree with so much that has been shared.

One of my latest "oh, crap, look at that..."  If I stand a certain way I get wrinkles over my knees.  Not a lot and not that most people would notice but it is only a sign of things to come.  Don't know why the eye wrinkles didn't bother me but wrinkly knees, sheesh!

I am much more comfortable with me.  I'm of the live and let live mind set.  I see each person for who they are (most of the time, far from perfect). But I see an individual and I see the whole person, that the person has joys and sorrows. 

Part of the new me stems from being a mom. Part of the new me stems from being 40.  Part of the new me stems from losing my 2nd son almost three years ago.  I know that everyone has hurts and we can't begin to imagine.  I believe in kindness even when someone may not act like they deserve it at the moment.

Life really does get better with age and whoever said youth is wasted on the young sure had it right.  If I only knew at 20 what I know now.

#17 of 42 Old 07-06-2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire View Post
  Part of the new me stems from losing my 2nd son almost three years ago.  I know that everyone has hurts and we can't begin to imagine.  I believe in kindness even when someone may not act like they deserve it at the moment.

hug2.gifclap.gifBRAVO mama well said. 

Originally Posted by Cheshire View Post

Life really does get better with age and whoever said youth is wasted on the young sure had it right.  If I only knew at 20 what I know now.

oh man this is one of my challenges i think i have gotten over. i was trying to tell 20 year olds what the truth was when they werent ready to hear the truth. alas this kinda info only comes with age and experience.

gosh i was terrible in my 20s. compared to my 20 year old know it all self, i am just an awesome person now. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#18 of 42 Old 07-06-2011, 02:41 AM

I am 43 and it's nice to see some of the "older" mamas on here! I think having my only child at 36 has helped keep me feeling young and kept me in contact with a younger crowd.

I am pleased with how I've held onto the fire from my 20s. I have always been community-minded and more interested in making connections than getting ahead. Dh and I have good jobs, but not careers. I have to remind myself sometimes that that's a choice I made, but I am happy with where we are at. I am decidedly NOT more relaxed about my views on militarism, food sustainability, environmentalism...I like my reputation as one of the lifers who's still volunteering in co-ops and going to protests. I have become a homeowner and I worried that would turn me into a big ol' capitalist who only cared about property values and taxes, but I'm pretty much the same person. I like the idea that I am coming into my Crone (sp?) self.

I'm having to let go of my black hair, though! At 43, it's still mostly black; but the grays are coming in. More status.

I've always been thin and never had to watch what I eat, but I'm getting the "older lady" physique anyway. My stomach is still flat, but not concave the way it was. Things have just shifted a bit and I have the wrinkly knees, too. Thank God I never cared much about makeup and such, because I could never afford all the potions I'm supposed to be using now. I'm really glad I know about good nutrition and mind/body stuff, because this is the decade where it really feels critical to be proactive about health. I, too, though, have to work harder for the muscle definition that used to show up after the second workout.

Oh, and the new "milestones?" I've hit the age for routine mammograms, though I haven't had one yet. Next up? Colonoscopies. Yippee!

I love our network of friends and the living history all around me. I love that I knew when the grocery store down the street used to be a night club.

#19 of 42 Old 07-06-2011, 10:11 AM

I turned 40 in March. 

Negative things about being older are:

1. Yup, the reading glasses thing, uuuggg!

2. Need to pee during the night.

3. Can't really "sleep in" anymore.

4. Super intolerant of people with strollers.  Especially when at a zoo, museum, etc.  Those stroller people think they rule the place! winky.gif

Things I LOVE about being older:

1.  As many have already said:  Being confident in who I am and the decisions I make.

2.  My kids being older.  I'm not a baby person.  I LOVE having the conversations/interactions I get to have with my 8 and 12 year olds.

3.  Being the "seasoned" professional at my job.

4.  The life my DH and I have made for ourselves.

Please keep this thread going.  I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts.  They are great!  Some made me laugh out loud!!

#20 of 42 Old 07-06-2011, 10:39 AM

I'm 41 and definitely improving. My 20s were tumultuous and I was happy to put them behind me. I got pregnant & had my DD at 38, which did a number on my body! But I'm getting healthier & more fit by the day, so I can truly say I'm in much better shape at 41 than I was at 39. I love what carfreemama said about coming into the "crone"  years...yes, I look forward to that (it must be the capricorn in me).

What I notice about this moment in my life:

• Parenting a toddler is exhausting, but I have way more patience that I would have 10 or 20 years ago.
  • I'm not in a hurry to do anything. If I have a project that's worth pursuing, I'm willing to keep plugging away for months or years, and not be too worried about how long it takes, as long as I'm moving in the right direction. In my 20s & 30s, I felt like everything had to happen NOW!!!
  • I was a senior in college 20 years ago! The college students I work with now have parents who are "my age." I can see my college self from my mom's point of view...yikes!
  • I miss my mom & grandmother in new ways (grandma died in '91, mom died in '98). I have so much more respect for them and wish I had spent more time sharing my appreciation while they were still alive. I wish I could share my parenting foibles with them and hear them laugh.
  • I'm happy with my body, even though I can't do things that came easily to me when I was in my 20s. Maybe I've just shifted my expectations, but that's good. Healing from birth trauma aside, I spend almost no time being self-critical. I care less and less about my looks, though I do admit to one vanity...I dye my hair (otherwise, I'd be pretty much all gray).
  • I'm more focused on cultivating humility, compassion, and service to others, less focused on building myself up.
  • Maybe it's because I'm parenting a toddler, but unlike some of you, I have NO problem sleeping in, on the rare occasion that I get the opportunity to!

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#21 of 42 Old 07-06-2011, 12:20 PM

Hey, CI Mama, I'm a Capricorn, too!

#22 of 42 Old 07-06-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreemama View Post

Hey, CI Mama, I'm a Capricorn, too!

Awesome!! orngbiggrin.gif

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#23 of 42 Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 PM

Oh, thank you for this thread. I'll be 41 this month.

I love.gif myself more and more. I really love.gif life, just the everyday stuff. When I was younger, I always had a plan. I'd try to plan out my whole year. Now, I just enjoy the moment.

I really don't like crowds anymore. But I really love people, and getting to know folks on a one on one basis. Life is so magical when you open your eyes to see.

I threw out my back for the first time last week. Scary. But it's getting better. Could have been a lot worse.

I now look to accomplish things on a weekly basis, rather than a daily basis. I have FINALLY learned to respect my body and my moods and my energy levels. When I don't have it, I don't do it. When I do, I go with it. I can finally listen to my body and know when to rest and not feel bad about it.

I have new boundaries in my life. I realize that everyone is responsible for their own happiness. I put myself first more often. I say "No" a lot more. "No" is so freeing.

My DD is nearly 9 and it's so much fun rediscovering my creativity with her. We spend a lot of the time at the barn together and it's so cool to learn new things.

I also used to love roller coasters, but will pass now. I did go down a crazy water slide last weekend though and it was a lot of fun. coolshine.gif There's always something in life to look forward to, to be joyful about. If I'm having a crappy day, I don't dwell on it. I know that it will soon pass.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#24 of 42 Old 07-07-2011, 07:50 AM

I have learned to say No in my old age. Just No. Not we are busy, a hundred excuses but No.  

Oh BTW, I am a capricorn too!

I just realized, i was in college 20 plus years ago! YIKES!

As my 30s evolved, I started simplifying my life and it makes my mind less cluttered. Also our lives. Maybe it took getting older or maybe I was too busy. I do know, I dont need to be everywhere and everything to anyone or everybody.

#25 of 42 Old 07-08-2011, 06:51 PM

Ooooo, I like this thread!

Okay, I am 54. I had ds#1 when I was 31 and ds#2 when I was 37.

I am almost at the end of my parenting journey. Well, I am guessing they will still phone home occassionally with questions, but the heavy duty parenting stuff is nearly over. wink1.gif

Not so good things about getting older...

1. Reading glasses. I had actually looked forward to wearing these. My best friend's mom had them when we were in highschool and I thought reading glasses were DA BOMB! Now that I have them myself ( I LOVED them at first!) um, not so much fun cuz I NEED them or I can't see the tiny print! biglaugh.gif

2. Watching ds#1 and his friends go through their 20s and seeing some of the mistakes, hardships, confusion, etc. they are going through. I listen if they want to talk, I give advice if they ask and tell them they can take it or leave it, cuz ya know, I may not know what I am talking about and it's THEIR life, but it is rough watching them sometimes. There are GREAT things going on,too, but it's a mixed bag.

3. My right hip kept bothering me, so I finally mentioned it to my doctor. He says probably just a little arthritis. bigeyes.gif

4. My blood pressure and sugar went up. I had to lose weight, eat better and get some excercise. I have been slacking again, so I need to get back on track with the excercise part of it. jog.gif

Good stuffs....

1. I LOVE my salt and pepper hair! My aunts, dad, uncle and two of my cousins all have BEAUTIFUL silver hair and I have always admired their shiney, silver hair! Mine is getting there.

2. I learned to say no like a previous poster mentioned. Wonderful word "no" and then no excuses given. Just no. Or as Phoebe from Friends would say "Oh, gee, I wish I could, but I don't want to." That line just cracked me up!

3. I am much less judgemental than I used to be...I don't know that I was ever VERY judgemental, but maybe it's that now I really do understand that most of us are doing the best we can with what we have got to work with and I have my OWN issues to mind to thank you very much and no time to stick my nose into other people's business. I'm too busy trying to keep my own socks pulled up to have time to mess with trying to pull your socks up, too. upsidedown.gif

4. Naps. I love naps. I don't feel guilty about naps. Naps are lovely.

I've been transitioning, that whole empty-nest thing is coming up and though I never thought it would be an issue for me, it may. I find myself reassessing my life...looking back and re-evaluating, then looking forward and trying to figure out where I want to go after ds#2 leaves for college. It has been a bit bumpier than I thought it would be! There was a period of upheaval, but I think that has peaked and now I am streamlining my life, trying to figure out who I am ( again!) and then will get on with it. I still have a good twenty, thirty or more years to live hopefully. I hope to have some fun!

At 18 I thought I KNEW. IT. ALL.

My twenties...oh, they were TONS of fun, but very confusing and tumultuous. 

I LOVED my thirties and my forties ( except for some health problems, but into every life a little rain must fall and all that...)

My fifties have been good...just the whole major introspection thing took me by surprise, but I'll survive it.

I used to be more of an extravert, but now I am becoming more of a homebody. I'm an ENFP on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, but over the years my E has become less pronounced. That's okay. I did enough talking in my first 50 years that if I was silent as a monk for the next 50 years, it might be a good thing. Noise pollution and all that. blahblah.gif

I think at any age there are good things and not so good things. It's all about balance, grasshoppa. Or was it weedhopper?

Fun thread and I really enjoyed reading everyone's responses!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#26 of 42 Old 07-08-2011, 07:49 PM

Yes! I love.gif naps too!

[quote name="tinybutterfly" url= Naps. I love naps. I don't feel guilty about naps. Naps are lovely.

#27 of 42 Old 07-08-2011, 09:15 PM

you know i read every reply and i see some parts of me in every post. 

but i have to say aaaaaaah naps. it is particularly bittersweet to me because i could never, ever take naps. except maybe when i was wiped out. even with a HNs baby and night awakenings i could never take a nap in the afternoon. its also bittersweet because i remember how much we'd tease my mom falling asleep in teh middle of a movie adn then bugging us with questions to make sense. 

omg. i AM my mom. today we had house filled with a few adults and a multitude of children. i ate the pasta lunch i made and THEN? joined the little kids watching a movie and took a little nap. maybe 20 mins at the most. 

gosh i have discovered the refreshing power of short mid day naps. i dont need to sleep for an hour or two. just a short 10 - 15 min nap works miracles. this is huge for me as i have never been able to take naps. 

one thing i hate though is my dry skin. i notice more than less. however i have been in perimenopause (we start early in our family). so dont know if that contributed to it too. 

#28 of 42 Old 07-09-2011, 04:52 PM

So, I we've been purging some of our stuff.  We gave away, donated, and I had my first garage sale.

Today, DH and I are talking about some of our kids' toys that DS no longer plays with and DD is slowly getting away from.  It's pricey Playmobile stuff that is in perfect condition. 

DH says:  "I want to put a couple of those things away for when we have grandkids over the house."

Seriously?  I'm 40.  FOR-TY.  I was like, "Are we honestly having a grandkids conversation?"

Knew you ladies would know where I was coming from!

#29 of 42 Old 07-09-2011, 10:38 PM

I used to play basketball for hours every summer, now if I hear thump thump thump my blood pressure goes up.

I have arthritis....enough said.

Sleeping in is 7:30 - and I have narcolepsy!!!  I used to excel at sleeping.

My computer fonts are too small at work...so the flatscreen is right up at my face - just like it was an old monitor.

I get miffed when people say I look in my midtwenties, they're only looking at my face - the stretchmarked warzone of my neck down tells my real story ;)

and it upsets me that I feel they don't appreciate the fact I am seasoned!

I don't do parades or crowed movie theatres anymore...

I like venues with bathrooms.  Camping is not as exciting as a hotel. 

I'll stand up for anyone being picked on - don't anyone dare insult the cashier around me...lol I hate bullies.

perimenopausal - self acceptance, enlightenment, with a sprinkling of rage.

LOL grandchildren - I used to want to hold onto everything, now I am done having kids I give it away - I paid thousands for it all but I just want it all gone now!

8 might be enough
#30 of 42 Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 PM

lol.gif I love this thread. What is it about crowds that so many of us dislike?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page