How do you get enough sleep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-05-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm really tired by night time and should go to bed earlier, but that feels like 'me time' to relax, watch a film, soak in the bath, go online, read a book etc...so sometimes I stay up and go to bed later but then regret it the next day being a zombie. How do you make sure to get enough sleep? and yeah im one of those people who needs a lot of sleep....5 or 6 hours you must be joking, I need 9 or else it's so hard to get up the next day and during that day. It also affects my mood, I feel quite low and anxious if I don't get enough sleep for a few nights.

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#2 of 17 Old 07-05-2011, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I'm the same way as you -- I love staying up late by myself because it's my only chance to be totally alone and I need that. I get up at 7, so lately I've been making sure I'm in bed by 11 or earlier, and it's working out pretty well. The kids go to bed at 8, and DH tends to go to bed around 10, so I'm still getting some time alone and also getting about 8 hours of sleep. It's helping with my weight management too, because if I stay up later than that I get hungry and end up eating too much. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#3 of 17 Old 07-05-2011, 05:50 PM

I realize that the best me time is sleeping time :D  So I have almost always prescribed to go to bed when the kid does!  

I am not a night owl though- I would rather wake at 4 than stay up till midnight.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#4 of 17 Old 07-05-2011, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

No I don't get enough sleep and it because of a myriad of reasons.  Right now my anxiety is really bad so that doesn't let me calm down enough to get to sleep.  Its very hot here and even with the a/c set at 75 I still feel 'hot',  When I'm 'hot' its difficult to unwind and relax.

Ideally I need 7-8 hrs of sleep IN A ROW.  Right now I'm getting 4-5 hrs of naps twice a day.  Usually something like 4am-8am then 1pm-4pm. I don't always get the afternoon nap.  LOL

I have a couple RX to help with sleep and obviously they are not working very well right now.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#5 of 17 Old 07-05-2011, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I am the same as you OP! I stay up way too late getting me time after ds is asleep- it is the only time I can fully let go and relax all day- dh goes to bed earlier than I do usually, and I get some me time but then I am tired in the day!

#6 of 17 Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

i have discovered that that me time is KEY. if i take out me time and go to bed to make up for sleep, i dont get that rested sleep.

i think a lot has to do with acceptance.

the moment i told myself that me time is crucial and it is part of my sleep time, i had more restful sleep.

when my day gets rough i try and find some me time for myself. even if its as little as sitting down for a minute to really enjoy my cold glass of water. i try do some mini me times during the day so that by night time i am not that completely exhausted. however when i started giving  myself permission to relax, i realised i was giving too much of myself to dd. if i sat down and made sure my own needs were met so that i wouldnt be 'empty' and irritated by evening. i found a way to do that when dd was 18 months old and i wasnt going to get a 'alone' break. i'd just sit with her and just enjoy her - watch her play like a movie. oh boy that helped SOOOO much. i wasnt depleted adn exhausted by 5 pm. 

for me the key hasnt been finding more time to sleep, but granting myself permission. 

also a good way of me getting good sleep is to make sure someone is in bed with me. either dd (yeah we still cosleep and i still LOVE it) or the kitty. i dont sleep alone well at all. in fact on days i dont have dd i tend to stay up way too late.  

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#7 of 17 Old 07-06-2011, 11:16 AM

I do.  My kids go to bed around 7:30, and I tend to go around 9:30 or 10:00, along with my dh.  I get up before my kids (not by long--just 30 to 45 minutes), which gives me that sort of quiet head space that I need.  I prefer my sleep to long periods of quiet time to myself. 

#8 of 17 Old 07-06-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View PostI get up before my kids (not by long--just 30 to 45 minutes), which gives me that sort of quiet head space that I need.  I prefer my sleep to long periods of quiet time to myself. 

This is me as well.  I go to bed at the same time as my dd's (between 9 and 10 since we're on summer break) and I get up an hour or so before they do.  I eat breakfast, check email, read, whatever else in relative peace and quiet.  I'm a morning person though, so I know that's not for everybody.

#9 of 17 Old 07-06-2011, 01:25 PM

It is nice to have time alone to relax.

I tend to get up 30 minutes to 1 hour before my dd wakes up. Dh is asleep or has left for work. Mornings are quiet and peaceful. Dd usually won't get up very early on her own.

I probably go to bed about 30 minutes to 1 hour after dd goes to bed but I'm usually spending time with dh or doing chores. Dd doesn't go to bed easily so I have to stay awake to send her back to bed until she falls asleep. It isn't as easy to relax alone at night.

I feel good if I get 8 hours of sleep. If I get 6 hours I am still okay but less sleep than that is yucky.

Dh is more the 9-10 hour sleep type. Dd sleeps 10 hours usually.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#10 of 17 Old 07-07-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia622 View Post

I realize that the best me time is sleeping time :D   

Oh I love that! wink1.gif

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#11 of 17 Old 07-07-2011, 04:24 PM

I also need around 9 hours to feel rested and not get too sleepy in the mid afternoon. I usually get that or more, but I go to sleep SUPER early. I haven't yet figured out how to get DS to sleep without falling asleep myself.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#12 of 17 Old 07-07-2011, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post

I also need around 9 hours to feel rested and not get too sleepy in the mid afternoon. I usually get that or more, but I go to sleep SUPER early. I haven't yet figured out how to get DS to sleep without falling asleep myself.

oh that's why i stopped reading to dd at bedtime. i'd fall asleep so i started telling stories and then i'd be in twilight zone - kinda dazed out till dd fell asleep. some nights. however dd was a good kid and she always stayed and played on the bed. she'd sing and play with her fingers and toes. sometimes for 2 hours in the dark. 

so i got really good at zoning out without being dead to the world. now that dd is older from when she was about 5 i stopped zoning out and fell dead asleep on those nigths when i was too tired. mostly dd just read in bed. 

knowing she wont get into any mischief - even from 18 months on (she'd crawl out of bed go to teh living room and come right back coz it was dark) gave me that peace of mind to rest. why did i trust her? dunno. she never gave me an opportunity to not trust her. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#13 of 17 Old 07-08-2011, 06:19 AM

I was just talking to DH about this last night.

I do not get enough sleep at all, though fortunately I'm not the type to need a ton...

DS goes to bed at 11:30pm. It takes me at least an hour to wind down after that (unfortunately, DS won't sleep if I'm not beside him, so no baths or whatever for me, but at least I can read/zone out!)

I have to be up around 6 to work before DS wakes up for the day (I WAH... on a laptop in my bed lol so I can keep DS asleep).

So on a good day, I get 5-6 hours of sleep -- less if I'm dealing with other stuff (insomnia etc.) -- usually interrupted once or twice by DS or something.

I wish I could just go to sleep when he does... it's partly the desire for 'me time' but mostly I just need wind-down time...

Is there are way you can get time to yourself at some other point in the day? It's hard, I know... my DS doesn't nap so I have to rely on DH to take DS outside or something, which doesn't always happen depending on our schedules, the weather, etc. But if you can somehow arrange 'me time' earlier in the day, it may help with that desire to stay up way too late!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#14 of 17 Old 08-28-2011, 06:17 PM

i dont usually get enough always wake up tired. even when i get 8 hrs:(

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#15 of 17 Old 09-04-2011, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I don't. Never have, and not sure I ever will. Now that my kids are older it is harder because they are awake so much later and seem to want to connect later in the evening.

#16 of 17 Old 09-05-2011, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I don't get enough enough but these are the things I do to get enough to be functional (in an *ideal* world I would get about 9 hours of unbroken sleep with occasional 11-12hr nights to really recharge plus some afternoon naps. Maybe when my last child has left home...?????????)

- be disciplined about going to bed at 9pm (I am a night person so this was hard but it's worth it in the morning. I also feel pretty grumpy if she is up later than normal and I don't get my couple of hours alone/with DH in the evening but, fortunately, that's fairly rare.)

- DH gets up with our LO and I stay in bed for a couple of extra hours most days (he is a morning person so it's much easier for him to get up at 5am)

- if we've had a bad night or I'm particularly tired I will sleep with her for her day time sleep. This is also my main alone time though, so I try not to do it too often.

It doesn't make up for 15 months and counting of no more than 2-3 hours unbroken sleep but I know I have it a lot easier than many others.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#17 of 17 Old 09-05-2011, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia622 View Post

I realize that the best me time is sleeping time :D 

ITA.  I really don't function well without enough sleep.  I get sick, I eat too much, I get depressed, I can't give ds what he needs (satisfying interaction).  I was "blessed" with a high needs sleeper so I was actually forced to lie down with him when he napped and stay in bed for the night when he went to bed.  He couldn't stay asleep without physical contact.  If I wasn't sleepy, I would read, knit, or crochet in bed.  It was frustrating at times but it did keep me from getting sucked into mindless late night computer use or whatnot.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page