If I had attempted something like this, I would have been caught IMMEDIATELY! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2011, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I open my mail this morning, and I have a letter from the Beauru of Parking Violations in my down town city (I NEVER go into the city) Its addressed to me, but the car make is Nissan, and I dont recognize the plate number.  Im like, how on earth do I have a parking ticket for a car I have never owned?

Then it dawns on me.  Last summer, we bought a Nissan Maxima from my BFF, but there ended up being to many probs with it.  So my husband fixed it, dolled it, and handed it over to his friend who owns a car lot to sell it.  He did, and I turned the plates in IMMEDIATELY.  Even got a refund check for the registration and insurance.

Well apparently, whatever UAV bought the car (or whoever stole it from HIM) must be using illegal plates on the thing and STILL has my sticker on the window!!!!!!!!!!  ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME!??!?!?!  I have been waiting all morning for this beauru office to open so I can talk to someone to find out how to get my name cleared in all this.  I cant remmeber what I did with the receipt from returning the plates.  IT WAS LAST YEAR!!!!!!!  I can mail in for a new one, but I dont remember the plate #s.  I could probably get them from my insurance guy.  OR, I could call the DMV and pay 5 dollars to do it over the phone.  But that just pisses me off MORE.  I have to pay 5 dollars to prove IM an honest person?  While some other jerk is tooling around town in an ILLEGAL vehicle????  Just doesnt seem right. 

And what really gets me, is I make sure to do my inspection every year ON TIME because I just KNOW that if Im a day late, I will somehow get caught and ticketed.  But not this UAV. OHHHHH NOOO.  Hes been driving around in an illegal vehicle for a YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yikes. I hope you get it sorted without a lot of hassle. I hate those sorts of problems. We once received a utiltiy bill (gas or electricity, can't recall) for an address we hadn't lived at for years, along with stern notice that it was about to go to a debt collection agency. We were able to clear it up with a couple of phone calls (computer error, yada yada) but what a hassle. The time spent on hold was the worst of it though.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

WEll once I got my head out of my ass from being so bent out of shape about this, it occurred to me to call my insurance guy who probably has a copy of that receipt from the DMV.  Since I had to fax it to him before he cancelled the insurance on the car.  So that is coming through as we speak, and I have a message left with the woman at the beauru office about how to get my name cleared in this mess.  Hopefully she calls back soon.  GAWD!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:31 PM

That would be horrid. Hope it clears up fast and you do not have to stress anymore over it.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:58 AM

We donated an old car to the Boy Scouts.  My DH did all the paperwork ,etc.  About a year or 2 later we received a summons in the mail that we were being sued by the City of Chicago....50 miles away....because the car was found abandoned with drugs in it and we were the registered owners.  What a firestorm that was!  It took a lot of calls and wrangling to get this fixed....it was going to be a $3k fine!!

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:36 AM

We've gotten a notice about unpaid parking tickets (listing our license plate) during a time we weren't ever parked in that city.  I called the office, they simply asked for my car's color, make and model and year...I told them and then they realized that my car's description did not match the description of the car with the tickets.  My guess is that the the person who issued the ticket somehow wrote down a wrong number when transcribing the plate number, so it was listed as our plate, when the actual plate number was a different license plate.

It was really easy to clear up, and I got the impression that this mistake happened frequently. It wasn't a big deal at all.  Hopefully your issue will be cleared up easily as well.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

Old 07-08-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

OK, so after going round and round between My husband and the friend that helped us sell the car, the DMV (who finally started TAKING calls at about noonish) and the parking violations office, I got it cleared up.  Some unhelpful tool at the parking office had me thinking i needed a notarized bill of sale  so they could get the info of the person I was "Claiming" to have sold the car too.  Nice huh?  I told him I had a receipt from the DMV that showed I destroyed the plates that were on the ticket number!  (this was all BEFORE i got threw to the DMV) when I called the DMV, they looked up that plate number, confirmed they HAD been destroyed, and then found that the car had been registered in someone elses name AFTER I an unregistered it.  SO, i call BACK the parking office, Clothes line the first woman I get on the phone, and have her look up the VIN number.  BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Probelm solved.  New ticket being sent to the guy who bought the car from me, and a card is being sent to ME, basically informing me to void the previous ticket. 

OYE.  What a mess!!!  My husband and his freind are still going to drive by the guys house and see if he has taken the GD sticker off the window yet.  LOL

Let this be a lesson to ALL of you, my husband included.  If you sell a car privately, make sure you take the friggin reg sticker off the window before they drive away. 

Old 07-08-2011, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm glad it's sorted out, what a stressful day!! 

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

New Update.  Husband and Friend went by the guys apartment building.  Found the car.  No plates on it, rear end smashed in, ignition totally ripped out.  MY STICKER still on the window.  They went all over the complex asking around trying to find the guy.  No luck.  So, the car being unlocked and in a parking lot, they opened the door and ripped MY sticker off the window.  Im thinking for whatever reason, he unregisterd the car, and whenever he wanted to go somewhere with it, would slap a couple of random plates on it.  Atleast he wont be able to do that with MY info on the window anymore. 

Seriously, what people will try to get away with. 

Old 07-09-2011, 09:05 AM

Sheesh! I am sorry you had to deal with that! I hate when things happen that are out of your control, but require your time, effort, and being treated like crud to resolve. I'm glad it all worked out dizzy.gif

Old 07-09-2011, 10:27 AM

Thats just bizzare.  Wow.  I'm glad you got it all straightened out!

Old 07-09-2011, 12:37 PM
2xy

Where do you live that the reg sticker goes on the window? It goes on the plates in every state I've lived in (which is quite a few)....

Only thing I ever see on the window is the inspection sticker.

Glad everything worked out for you. Too bad some jerk caused you a bunch of stress.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

New York state.  Registration and inspection goes on the window. 

Old 07-09-2011, 03:40 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Charlie's~Angel~ View Post

Hm. That's just as weird as your can't-turn-right-on-red law. :)

Old 07-09-2011, 03:57 PM

Just because this thread reminded me of it and it might cheer you up. http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/noplate.asp

I'm glad you got it sorted out and hopefully there will be no more problems with it.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 07-09-2011, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

The only time I know of that being a LAW is during certain school hours (but only at marked traffic lights) and when the adjacent roads have available u-turns. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

Old 07-09-2011, 05:41 PM
2xy

Well, to be fair....I've only ever driven in NYC. I believe it's against the law at any hour in the city, but it's been more than a dozen years since I was there so I can't be sure.

I've driven through New York to get to Niagara Falls, but it was all Interstate.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:

The only time I know of that being a LAW is during certain school hours (but only at marked traffic lights) and when the adjacent roads have available u-turns. 

Quote:

Well, to be fair....I've only ever driven in NYC. I believe it's against the law at any hour in the city, but it's been more than a dozen years since I was there so I can't be sure.

I've driven through New York to get to Niagara Falls, but it was all Interstate.

Still illegal, but only within the 5 boro's.  Gosh, if it were legal to turn right on red in the city, no one would ever get ANYWHERE!  And pedestrians wouldn't ever be able to cross the street.  It would be chaos. 

Fine, it already is chaos - thats why I don't own a car!

Old 07-09-2011, 07:15 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

Still illegal, but only within the 5 boro's.  Gosh, if it were legal to turn right on red in the city, no one would ever get ANYWHERE!  And pedestrians wouldn't ever be able to cross the street.  It would be chaos. 

Fine, it already is chaos - thats why I don't own a car!

Yeah, I was visiting an old friend who lives in Brooklyn. I didn't even know it was illegal to turn right on red until he FREAKED out while riding in the passenger seat. lol

Old 07-09-2011, 08:26 PM

Owning a car in NYC is one of the most frustrating things in the universe.  I'm sorry OP, potential $5 sucks, but I just had my car towed/impounded TWICE and had to pay $1,000 to get it back for something that we did NOT do.  With a nice threat from the marshall's office that they would sell the car within 3 days.  8 hours of running back and forth between their office, finance office, and tow yard in another borough.  With the baby.  Ugh.  No chance we will ever get that money back, they have you by the b*lls. 

Old 07-10-2011, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Oh lorrrd.  Where is the "top of head blows off" smilie? 

I guess its all relative.  I never drive into OUR little rinky dinky city, let alone NYC.  So i wouldnt know how much dang "fun" it could all be.  LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post

Owning a car in NYC is one of the most frustrating things in the universe.  I'm sorry OP, potential $5 sucks, but I just had my car towed/impounded TWICE and had to pay $1,000 to get it back for something that we did NOT do.  With a nice threat from the marshall's office that they would sell the car within 3 days.  8 hours of running back and forth between their office, finance office, and tow yard in another borough.  With the baby.  Ugh.  No chance we will ever get that money back, they have you by the b*lls. 

Old 07-11-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:

I live in NYS and you can make a right on red as long as there is no sign saying you can't.  In my county you can also make a LEFT on red from a one way on to another one way.  And I live within spitting distance from NYC.

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
Old 07-11-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Texas does this too.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 07-13-2011, 08:49 AM

New Jersey puts it in the window too.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte Mama View Post

I live in NYS and you can make a right on red as long as there is no sign saying you can't.  In my county you can also make a LEFT on red from a one way on to another one way.  And I live within spitting distance from NYC.

Yeah, its literally just within the 5 boro's.  As soon as you cross into the outlying "suburbs", all the normal driving laws apply. 

User Tag List