Camera Recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-22-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Does anyone have any camera recommendations? I'm no photographer, but I would really like to improve my pictures. I'm pretty sure I'm not ready for an slr/dslr or what have you, but I'm frustrated with my point and shoots features. I'd like to play around with focus and depth of field. From my reading I'd need to be able to change the shutter speed and aperture settings. Is that really asking too much of a point and shoot?

Does anyone have a camera they really like that doesnt cost an arm *and* a leg?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#2 of 18 Old 07-22-2011, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Honestly - you need something of a SLR persuasion in order to play around with shutter speed/aperture.  No point and shoot is going to do that for you.  I don't think they have the mechanics to vary the shutter and it's speed in that way in the first place.

However, something like the canon powershot might be a nice option that's sorta in-between a fancy DSLR and a simpler point and shoot.  I've known quite a few photographers who really like them (don't have one myself, but have used them and they're nice), and while I think it's actually a point and shoot it does give you a lot of features and costs a lot less than a DSLR (being around $200-300 as opposed to at least $500-600 to $1k).

#3 of 18 Old 07-22-2011, 03:29 PM

#4 of 18 Old 07-22-2011, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

hmm... I should have mentioned! I have the canon powershot sd940is currently-- but I can't make it do what I want it to. DH seems open to upgrading so I'm going to check out that recommended one!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#5 of 18 Old 07-23-2011, 09:13 AM

I have a Nikon point and shoot that I love.  I think it was about $250.  It works awesome and gives great shots.  The detail is phenomenal!

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26219/COOLPIX-S8100.html

Though I should say their price is high; if you do a Google search, you can get it for cheaper.

ETA:  Sorry, just read through your first post and realized you're not looking for a point/shoot.  Sorry!  shy.gif  But it is still a great camera!  Most of my editing is just done online.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#6 of 18 Old 07-23-2011, 10:41 AM

depends upon how much you want to spend.. if you're serious about getting good photos and plan to keep working on it, you might want to (if you can) go with a dslr.

we have a cannon rebel t1i, which is the least expensive one, with both auto and manual functions... we did extensive research and the reviews were the best for this model.. consumer reports also had good ratings for it.  we got it from amazon and it came with a decent lens, too, at around the 650.00 range.  (i got most of the $ for it by saving birthday and christmas money.  we're poor but it was something i really really wanted) have been SUPER happy with it so far. 

it is very much the digital version of the cannon ae1 program i had in younger days-- the awesome one that you could manual or automatically set.  the lenses will allow auto or manual focus too. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#7 of 18 Old 07-24-2011, 06:17 AM

I just got a Panasonic Lumix ZS6 and am really enjoying it. It's a point and shoot, but has a fairly wide lens and allows quite a bit of control (including manual settings for shutter speed and aperture). If you don't want to bother with manual settings, the "intelligent auto" works surprisingly well. I wanted something a bit more portable (and affordable) than a dslr, but wanted to be able to experiment a bit more with photos.

mama to DD yikes2.gif She's a teenager! 12/19/97 and DS jammin.gif 09/18/03
#8 of 18 Old 07-27-2011, 11:18 AM

Anyone have a camera that is good on close ups? I am talking bug pictures or dew on plants sort of thing. I love taking close ups,but my camera gets fuzzy as I zoom in.

#9 of 18 Old 07-27-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemma04 View Post

Anyone have a camera that is good on close ups? I am talking bug pictures or dew on plants sort of thing. I love taking close ups,but my camera gets fuzzy as I zoom in.

You need to use the macro mode, or invest in a DSLR and learn how to shoot macro.  With a standard kit lens (like my 18-55mm for my Canon Rebel), bugs and dewdrops are very hard to capture closely.  I usually use a telephoto lens for things like that, but want a macro lens (actually I want to upgrade cameras!).

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#10 of 18 Old 07-27-2011, 11:34 AM

I love cameras!! I am dedicated to Canon and my current (non dslr) that I use is a Canon SX210is.  It is compact and has a 14x optical zoom. 14.1 mega pixels. I have taken amazing moon shots with it and you can put it into manual setting changing the iso and white balance.  Oh it does amazing macro (closeup) shots as well.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10020804canonpowershotsx210.asp

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#11 of 18 Old 07-27-2011, 11:43 AM

IMG_1397.JPGhalfmoon2.jpg

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
#12 of 18 Old 07-28-2011, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

wow! those are incredible!

#13 of 18 Old 07-28-2011, 08:00 AM

Great pictures!

#14 of 18 Old 07-28-2011, 02:04 PM

Thanks!!

#15 of 18 Old 07-29-2011, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

*sigh* ... so I've decided I'm just going to save my pennies for a dslr (but they are soooo expensive). I've been reading and reading, and it seems like that 'blurred' background is not really possible (for portraits) with any point and shoot. (Thats correct, right, lone girl?). I've been looking and looking and now I have a dream slr and lens picked out.

#16 of 18 Old 08-01-2011, 07:27 AM

oh, they're beautiful! 

and what a tease!  what did you PICK????

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#17 of 18 Old 08-01-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemma04 View Post

My camera, I have a macro mode, that gets fairly close, but then I have a programme on the camera itself that lets me zoom in on the picture, it works really well. http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_archived_product_details.asp?id=1289
#18 of 18 Old 09-09-2011, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

oh, they're beautiful! 

and what a tease!  what did you PICK????

Sorry! I just saw this. Bottom of the line cannon rebel (xs) and a 50mm prime lens. I think that will be more than enough to keep me busy. I'm planning on buying in a few years when I start work again; or when I win the lotto, whichever comes first. I'm trolling craigslist for it now; but DH doesn't want to buy cameras used. (what if it doesnt work, etc).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page