What to say/do about neighbors? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 07-23-2011, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our neighbor downstairs has been blaring his music for a week straight every day from 4pm-12 am. Legally after 11pm I can call the cops...but IDK it seems a bit extreme.

It is part of out written contract to not play music or have the tv on too loud as to not disturb neighbors. We aren't quite b/c of our toddler (I'm sure) but we do not blare music or anything.

So we have been here a year and he has been here longer but I have NEVER seen him. I am almost certain he does not work. We had an issue with his smoking pot (illegally) all day long in the winter but didn't do anything b/c we are stupid but since the warm weather rolled around he has been smoking outside. (This is suppose to be a smoke free apartment btw)

So I am kind of afraid to talk to this guy b/c IDK him. I have met his GF (who lives there but is not suppose to) and she seems OK but I am just lacking words here really....

What would you say?

I was thinking something like "Hi I am your neighbor upstairs. IDK if you know this but we can hear your music really loudly in our apartment and while once in a while is no big deal it's been everyday lately and it's (what annoying???) "

I can't get piece and quiet enough with having a toddler but when I finally can it totally stinks to here "boom boom boom boom"

nonstop....

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 07-23-2011, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tell him "and it's waking the baby." I think most people understand that, and if he doesn't, then you can proceed to the next level (reporting to the cops or the landlord or whatever)...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#3 of 11 Old 07-23-2011, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

This guy has some serious issues with keeping his life in his own space.  I'd go straight to whoever owns the property and complain to them.  Every time he cranks up the music, they would get a call from me. 

There are very few pluses when you rent but one of them is that if you have issues, you have someone else to deal with them.  Make them do their job.

#4 of 11 Old 07-23-2011, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Oh right we have two floors we live in a town house but he lives under us in a basement like apartment, so the bedrooms are upstairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

Tell him "and it's waking the baby." I think most people understand that, and if he doesn't, then you can proceed to the next level (reporting to the cops or the landlord or whatever)...

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#5 of 11 Old 07-25-2011, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Even if you called the police he would know it was you.I would opt for tolerating or talking to him.In talking with him I might say," Hi I'm *Sandy* from the apartment above you. I noticed you play your music VERY loud from 4pm till midnight almost daily. Are you trying to block out noise from us? Are we bothering you in any way? The music is really loud for us, especially at night,so I was hoping if we be more quiet maybe you could do the same with the music.?!?!!?"

If he is not the type to approach then leave a note.

I let it go when my condo neighbors jammed the tunes.It wasn't every night though.I figured we would move soon,and thank goodness it was just 6 months until we did.

#6 of 11 Old 07-26-2011, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

We have at least a year or year in a half before we can move. This apartment is super cheap but like I said before we moved in we were told this is a drug free, smoke free, quiet complex and those things have 0 tolerance.

So the girl who's living there and not suppose to was outside yesterday when I was with DD. She was nicely complaining about DD's temper fits (she is very spirited and I swear I try everything to calm her down) so I just casually said "yeah we can hear your music. Ben parting a lot lately?" Then she tells me she has a disability and is stuck in the house all day and she's young and just wants to live her life the way she wants (partying etc) and I said "I understand, we are very opposite, my husband and I like to stay away from all of that and when DD goes to sleep it's a relief for me to have some quiet time" She said "yeah my parents were alcholics.." Then said she had to go...(we are exactly the same age btw)

I mean I feel bad for her but we are stuck in the house all day too (we don't have a car) and DD is an intense kid. There is not much I can do about it! Besides it's not the during the day music that bugs me it's at night when DD is finally asleep and I want some peace and quiet!

So last night the music was LOUDER but only lasted until 11...Is that better??? Not really...

#7 of 11 Old 07-26-2011, 06:43 AM

Is it possible that they are playing music loud to drown out your dd?
#8 of 11 Old 07-26-2011, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Well right that's kind of what I was getting at. IDK for sure, but it's possible but certainly not after say 8pm...then again she is technically not suppose to live there (and she flat out told me that) so no one would be home during the day normally and it would be a non-issue. I thought the guy did not work but she told me he does. Anyways I finally saw the guy. He is not intimidating. I am concerned about the winter with the pot smoking again and this year I really will not be putting up with it. Apparently they don't give a damn that the music bothers me.

It is hard b/c you know I really try to be considerate of them, like this morning DD was flipping out so I left the house as to not disturb them. I try to take her upstairs when she has a meltdown etc. I mean I do try.

#9 of 11 Old 07-26-2011, 12:49 PM

It sounds like you already tried to talk to the neighbor and it didn't go very well. The next step would just be to contact the property manager/owner.  There's no need to feel bad about it... it's not like they are going to get kicked out after 1 phone call!  The owner has set up rules for a reason, and like PP said above, part of the rent you are paying is to have someone else enforce those rules. Just let them know that you aren't mad at the neighbors, but they are being too loud after quiet hours, having an extra person live there and are smoking near your house (you don't even have to say it's pot, you can just say smoke).

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#10 of 11 Old 07-26-2011, 05:06 PM

You might have to be more direct with them. If they don't automatically think to turn it down at night out of respect for their neighbors on their own I'm not sure "yeah we can hear your music." is direct enough. Next time you talk to one of them say that you need them to please keep it down during quiet hours because that is when you sleep. If they still don't keep it down talk to the management of the complex. And don't feel bad about it, that's not mean.

#11 of 11 Old 07-26-2011, 05:09 PM

Ooh just read that it only lasted til 11 the last night....maybe they did take the quiet hours rules into consideration? 11 is still so late though. :-/

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page