flying with nearly expired passport - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-24-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone think they can help me out with this one? I'm cross posting in MultiCultural Families, too...

DH has a Peruvian passport. It is set to expire in October. We are planning a trip to Peru for September, and it only takes one day in Peru to get a new passport, so his passport would be good for another 5 years for the trip home. Is he going to get into trouble flying OUT of the US with a passport that is only valid for another month or so? His green card is valid for another 10 years.

I believe our other option is to contact the nearest Peruvian consulate (Seattle- about 5-7 hours away) and renew before he goes.. Any thoughts?

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#2 of 8 Old 07-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Banned

I think that because he's going to Peru and he can renew his passport there, and keep the current one with his immigration status in the US with him, it shouldn't be a problem for him to fly out.

The only issue i've had is when i came to NZ. I thought that I could renew through the US consulate when I got here, but the passport expired before I would return (we booked a 3 month return, even though we were planning on staying once we got the right visa). So, we got held from the flight and went to the SF passport office, got the passport that day, and then took off the day after. That passport is good for many years.

Shouldn't be a problem getting out of the country on a passport from another country, so I wouldn't worry.

#3 of 8 Old 07-25-2011, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I would think the only problem will be transferring his green card into the new passport. I live abroad, and my residence and work permit is a big sticker in my passport, so if I got a new one while out of this country, there would be no way to transfer the permits into it.

If I were you, I would call the TSA and ask about it. Maybe there are restrictions you aren't aware of. I would want to be sure. You don't want to be stopped on your way out of (or into) the US by surprise. Good luck!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#4 of 8 Old 07-25-2011, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

his green card is actually a card he carries in his wallet- not connected to his old passport. His initial entry visa is in the old passport (expired by about 4 years now..) and he will keep the old passport with the new one in case they need to see that.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

#5 of 8 Old 07-25-2011, 12:27 PM

My guess would be that as long as he has his green card, old passport, new passport there shouldn't be a problem. But I admit to know knowing a whole lot about US permanent residency status. Though according to this USCIS website, it might be a good idea for him to carry some sort of proof that he intends to remain a resident of the US. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=0c353a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=0c353a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#6 of 8 Old 07-25-2011, 03:27 PM

I'd call the Peruvian consulate and ask them.  Also, if you're not flying directly from the US to Peru, you'd also want to check the entry requirements for countries that you're laying over in.  Some countries require 3-6 mos remaining on the passport to gain entry, and airline crew might deny you boarding to your layover destination . . . not that it would be right, or make sense . . .

#7 of 8 Old 07-25-2011, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

My guess would be that as long as he has his green card, old passport, new passport there shouldn't be a problem. But I admit to know knowing a whole lot about US permanent residency status. Though according to this USCIS website, it might be a good idea for him to carry some sort of proof that he intends to remain a resident of the US. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=0c353a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=0c353a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

This isn't our first trip out of the country. I'm not worried about the coming back part- green card, old and new passport should be fine. plus his US driver's license- he is golden. Abandonment of residency usually only becomes an issue after a trip of a year or more.
Thanks for researching for me though!

#8 of 8 Old 07-25-2011, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbamama View Post

I'd call the Peruvian consulate and ask them.  Also, if you're not flying directly from the US to Peru, you'd also want to check the entry requirements for countries that you're laying over in.  Some countries require 3-6 mos remaining on the passport to gain entry, and airline crew might deny you boarding to your layover destination . . . not that it would be right, or make sense . . .

thumb.gif
direct flight from US to Peru.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page