wwyd about car door dinging situation? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 40 Old 07-31-2011, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I personally consider leaving your car door touching another one for several minutes to be a bit different from having it touch for a few seconds.  I can see how it is different.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 08-01-2011, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramama View Post

I agree, but it also doesn't make someone a bad person because they are human and dinged a car by accident.  There have been threads about this same topic that get pretty heated.

I was just thinking about another thread on this topic -- I remember someone said that if a car parks too close to hers, she opens her door as forcefully as possible on purpose. It did get heated. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#33 of 40 Old 08-02-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

I was just thinking about another thread on this topic -- I remember someone said that if a car parks too close to hers, she opens her door as forcefully as possible on purpose. It did get heated.

I think I remember that one.  Or if not that one, one very similar.  I don't see any benefit in being purposefully hateful.

These things *can* get very heated, but I think in the end, what comes around goes around and honesty in the best policy.  At least I have to believe that.  A couple of years ago, I was on my way to pick up dd at school, when, at an intersection, a woman made for a left turn in front of me.  I slammed my brakes, swerved and missed her (she was in my lane by the time I was going past her), but in the process, slammed up onto a high curb, bending my rim and doing some minor damage to my back hatch.  I *missed* her because I have quick reflexes.  She pulled over, was apologizing profusely, and we waited for the cops to make the report.  She gave me all of her information and tried to settle it by giving me a check right there.  I said, "No, I'm not sure how much damage there is.  I feel better filing it with insurance."  The police report wasn't thorough and in the end, she claimed to insurance that she was completely uninvolved and that I, for no apparent reason, just ran off the road and she gave all of her information to the police because she was a witness!!!!  There was no damage to her car because I missed her, so there was no way to prove it!!  I was so, so, so pissed off at her dishonesty, as the whole thing was her fault and if it hadn't been for my driving skills, would have been a much, much, much worse accident with injury.  The absolute ONLY consolation is that it has or will come back to her... that the universe will repay her.  Now I wish I would have just slammed the bitch head-on (not very good karma for me with that attitude, huh?  LOL)

I think that being honest in these situations is absolutely the best thing and I'm glad, OP that you were willing to pay and that she told you the true price of the repair.  I think no matter what, it turned out well and you will both benefit from the fact that in the end you were both honest.  Good for you!

#34 of 40 Old 08-09-2011, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I don't see how she has a leg to stand on, honestly.  Cars get dinged and scratched in the course of owning them, it's just part of the wear and tear.  This doesn't sound like anything unusual for that kind of parking situation, I wouldn't pay.  

#35 of 40 Old 08-09-2011, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple*Lotus View Post

I personally consider leaving your car door touching another one for several minutes to be a bit different from having it touch for a few seconds.  I can see how it is different.

Well, that's true.  Since the door was open while the OP was in the backseat, then just moving around could cause the door to move up and down or something.  Well, she can submit the receipt to the insurance company, I guess, and see what they say. 

#36 of 40 Old 08-10-2011, 08:04 AM

Yeah... That lady is seriously annoying.

I had an instance at my son's school last year.  We were getting into our car and my son opened his door wide (and kind of hard) and hit the car next to us.  The owner was right there and started throwing a fit.  I quickly came over to that side of the car and then saw he was totally over his parking line.  So I said  "Yikes... well, I guess that's the chance you take when you don't park within your space."   

:p

#37 of 40 Old 08-12-2011, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Uh...  What person thinks it's really ok to talk to any other person that way over "stuff".  Yes people work hard to pay for their cars.  So be it.  However if your car is so important to you that you don't mind running out and screaming at someone who 1. wasn't trying to make a get away 2. left a paint mark and 3. was interacting with her children... there is something wrong with you. 

You need anger management and you need to grow up.  That woman could have asked you to pay for the paint... since it was obviously going to break her, but she had not right to yell at you and treat you inappropriately.  Everyone deserves respect. 

#38 of 40 Old 08-12-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post

Because it's my car! And it doesn't have any scratches or dings and I don't want any on it.

$10 is getting off light. Pay her and be done with it.

Same here. I paid the big $ for my car for me and aside from my home this is the most expensive item I own and it is PAID OFF and I am proud of my car. Having someone else's carelessness damage my car would really upset me. If I was in that position that you were in I would have put something between the cars to keep it from scratching. Receiving blanket, jacket/ shirt, stuffed toy, my hand, anything. That is what I have done in the past when I am in a close contact situation. OR open the door on the other side and put bb in the car from that side.

#39 of 40 Old 08-12-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigellas View Post

Yeah... That lady is seriously annoying.

I had an instance at my son's school last year.  We were getting into our car and my son opened his door wide (and kind of hard) and hit the car next to us.  The owner was right there and started throwing a fit.  I quickly came over to that side of the car and then saw he was totally over his parking line.  So I said  "Yikes... well, I guess that's the chance you take when you don't park within your space."   

:p

*shaking my head* Not cool at all. Ok, so he was parked over the line. You weren't supervising your child, your child opened the door hard and hit his car and he had a right to be upset. If your child isn't able to open the door responsibly that you may want to consider protecting your wallet and engaging the child lock feature on your car doors in the future.  What example are you setting for your child by speaking to the man that way after your child hit HIS car?

#40 of 40 Old 08-12-2011, 01:03 PM

About parking over the line.... I used to get really annoyed about it... Until I had to do it several times recently! If one car parks off, then the car next to it can't park properly, and it sets off a chain reaction -- so you have no idea if the person beside you was just too lazy to park right, or if the only spot available was the one that required parking over the line, you know?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page