Relocate me somewhere in the USA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 07-27-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I think I've convinced dh that we should move. But it could take a few years for him to find a job. Please help me narrow down some areas. We'll have to have somewhat of a pre-approved list of areas to investigate and watch for jobs, so I need to start now in narrowing down cities.

Musts:
A community college within 15 miles
Has to be midwife friendly. I'll be finishing either my CNM or CPM and homebirth HAS to be legal and ok in the area.
Inexpensive COL- a 3+ bedroom house (older, if possible) with an acre or more under $150,000. This is fine if it's an hour outside of a bigger town. I prefer not to live in a big city.
Not the desert
Pacific NW, the Northeast, Atlantic States, KY, TN, or a decent midwestern state would be ok partly because...
A good kid friendly museum within an hour (preferably as close as possible)
Homeschool friendly state
With a local secular homeschool group
A good AP or crunchy population. Finding a community I fit in with is non-negotiable.
A UU church within driving distance
A good library system
Variety in food-grocery stores, farmers markets, etc.

Really want:
A beach within a few hours (large nice lake or ocean)
Not on the verge of major natural disasters.
My dh hates cold weather, but the rest of us love it, so something in the middle.
NO fire ants or other creepy freaky bugs that will take over our lives
Good forests within driving distance treehugger.gif
CSA
Dh wants a decent music scene

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#2 of 52 Old 07-27-2011, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, except for COL, you know what town you've described already.  ;)

If you choose to live in nearby counties, you can probably meet the housing costs, too.

Lots of colleges in these here parts.  Lots of music.  Tons of secular homeschoolers and crunchy folks and all that.

We do have winter, but it's pretty pathetic compared to the great frozen north.  Except for when it's not and we get three feet of snow followed by a month of sub-freezings temps.  That doesn't happen every year.  Yet.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#3 of 52 Old 07-27-2011, 07:25 PM

Well, KY is out because midwifery is illegal here.

Otherwise, the outskirts of Louisville sounds pretty prefect for you.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#4 of 52 Old 07-28-2011, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

The PNW is pretty midwife friendly. Oregon a little moreso than WA, but WA isn't bad. It can be expensive but since you say you want a more rural area anyway, once you get far enough away from the city/suburbs, it actually goes quite low! My mom lives in middle of nowhere, WA and I think her  3br house was around 160,000 on 3 acres, in 2005. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#5 of 52 Old 07-28-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyndale View Post

Well, except for COL, you know what town you've described already.  ;)

If you choose to live in nearby counties, you can probably meet the housing costs, too.

Lots of colleges in these here parts.  Lots of music.  Tons of secular homeschoolers and crunchy folks and all that.

We do have winter, but it's pretty pathetic compared to the great frozen north.  Except for when it's not and we get three feet of snow followed by a month of sub-freezings temps.  That doesn't happen every year.  Yet.

yeahthat.gif

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#6 of 52 Old 07-28-2011, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

I do love Charlottesville. We visited there years ago and fell in love with it. But dh didn't have the jobs come through (he's a chemistry instructor). greensad.gif

That's great about your Mom's house, Rachel. Dh is worried about the COL up in the Pacific NW. He did some research out in Stockton, CA, so his view of COL in the west is a little pessimistic for us.

#7 of 52 Old 07-28-2011, 08:00 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I'd say Utah, but we do get a lot of snow in the winter. 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#8 of 52 Old 07-28-2011, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't even think about UT. Whereabouts? We've been to Canyonlands and Arches. While beautiful, they are way too much "desert" for me. I have to have lush green.

#9 of 52 Old 07-28-2011, 12:18 PM

Salem, OR or the surrounding communities like Monmouth or Dallas. That area pretty much fits your description perfectly.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#10 of 52 Old 07-28-2011, 04:52 PM

I was gonna say NM, until I read no desert. I really do love it here, and besides not having an ocean, I think it offers your other desires. Good luck with your search!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#11 of 52 Old 07-28-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Well, KY is out because midwifery is illegal here.

Otherwise, the outskirts of Louisville sounds pretty prefect for you.

I love living in KY!  We are in Berea, small college town less than an hour from Lexington, big university city.  Everything you said except the midwifery.  Seriously cheap COL and very homeschool-friendly too with a nice smattering of secular HS groups.  UU in next town (12 miles).  SURROUNDED by forest, mostly creeks and rivers but some lakes here and there.  Surrounded by the foothills of the Appalachians...  LOTS of houses under 150 (Ours was only 72 on half an acre in awesome location downtown near natural greenspace and though it's a fixer upper it is spacious)  Awesome library with constant activities.  Our town is small enough you can walk/bike almost anywhere but is also actually has a little public bus as well.    Very artsy and musical, and if you don't get your fill in our humble burg, Lexington has a bit of everything going on.

The homebirth business is pretty darn hoppin' despite it's not-so-legal status.  We had our homebirths here.  Do you have any interest in talking to one of the local midwives?  She has been practicing for many years and raised her children while doing so.  She is public with her activity as well and working to improve things legally so she could give you her perspective from the trenches. 

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#12 of 52 Old 07-29-2011, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

My family is from near you, littlest birds. We actually got stuck there for a weekend when our transmission cracked on the way back from visiting down in Hazard. lol.gif

Are CNM homebirths legal in KY? I would be interested in talking to her, if you want to pm me contact info or I can pm you my email.

#13 of 52 Old 07-29-2011, 09:55 AM

I was going to suggest Utah for you as well (northern Utah). Utah has a surprisingly large natural/attachment parenting community and has mostly hands-off governmental policies for things like homebirth, vaccinations, and homeschooling (I just relocated from Utah to Oregon and am surprised to find that Oregon has more laws regarding these things...). While it does get hot in the summer and cold in the winter, I think it's nothing like midwestern and northern winters. I would say you get a maximum of 2 weeks of really COLD COLD weather (hovering just above zero) every winter. I can't remember having more than a handful of below zero days in 14 years of living there. Northern Utah is not as dry and hot as southern Utah. There are four definite seasons and while it is dry it is not "desert-y" like Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, etc. The mountains are beautiful and accessible and offer a lot of great recreation and beauty (hiking year-round, skiing in the winter, camping in the summer, colorful leaves in the fall, wildflowers in the spring). You will find trees and some green in the mountains even in the summer (especially if you go up into the high Uintahs), but you will definitely not have any "lush" greenness, unfortunately. Between southern Utah county (Spanish Fork area) and northern Weber County (North Ogden area) there are numerous small and large communities that will have, either within or nearby, nearly everything you are looking for. Children's museums, parks, zoo, good music and food scene (Salt Lake will have the best for both of those, but both Ogden and Provo/Orem are growing and will have some to offer as well), etc. Utah is very family/kid friendly so there is a lot of fun stuff to do. Utah obviously doesn't have any oceans, but there are reservoirs with "beach" areas if that's your thing. Great farmer's markets in just about every town (Salt Lake's is definitely the biggest). I don't know of too many community colleges in the metro areas but there are Universities dotted along the Wasatch Front. The only thing I'm not sure about is the housing cost you desire. The cost of living in Utah is pretty low, but the market is still a bit inflated there. I don't know if you could find what you are looking for for the price you want, although to be honest, I'm not sure you could find that anywhere that fits your desires. The PNW also fits well with what you are looking for, but the cost of living is definitely too high here. A previous poster mentioned the Salem and surrounding areas; well that's where we are and I just don't think you will find a house and land for that price. I could be way off, because we have never looked anywhere rural, but our home in Salem, with almost no land, was definitely a lot more than that... And coming from Utah, things just cost more here: groceries, gas, taxes (true there is no sales tax, but property taxes and income taxes are HIGH here). If you can afford the COL in Oregon, though, you will find everything you want for sure. It is definitely a great and beautiful place to live (especially in the summer when fruit is abundant- and CHEAP- and the weather is perfect!)!

. catherine . yourfireyoursoul.blogspot.com .
mommy to one hilarious little boy [09.2006] and one cuddly baby girl [05.2009]

#14 of 52 Old 07-29-2011, 04:26 PM

http://www.birthsource.com/scripts/article.asp?articleid=277

Here is a list with contact information for different birth support folks in KY.  She is Candace Robinson, Empowered Birth Services and I am not certain how current the contact info here is.  She is also on Facebook and easy to reach there.  Last I knew she had a waterbirth image profile pic, or something like that.

I do not know enough about legality.  It's my understanding that it's not that homebirths are illegal with a CNM but that doctors are unwilling to work with them/malpractice insurance is impossible somehow.  But I am not sure how.  Candace is a CPM emphasis on the "professional"  smile.gif   Anyhow, she'd be good for a look behind the scenes on working in homebirth here.  I think it is a little bit more complex than just "illegal" but it could still be prohibitive for you.

Good luck deciding!

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#15 of 52 Old 07-30-2011, 09:42 PM
A&A

Yeah, Northern Utah.  Southern Utah is like a different state.

#16 of 52 Old 07-30-2011, 10:17 PM
A&A

go to this website:

http://www.northernutahhomesearch.com/fine/real/estate/newsearch

and search in the following counties:

Weber, Box Elder, Utah, and Davis

The three (or four?) UU churches are easily drive-able from those counties.

I found a few properties in those counties for 3 bedrooms and at least one acre for under $150k.  All of those cities will put you within an hour of Salt Lake, which has everything (children's museum, farmers' market, tons of music, etc.) 

As for water, you could easily get to Bear Lake, Pineview Reservoir, and Strawberry Reservoir, off the top of my head. (No one hangs out at the Great Salt Lake.)  And there are mountains/forests all around!

#17 of 52 Old 07-31-2011, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

About Utah- My husband insists that all of the land is totally salty in Northern Utah so I could never garden. Anyone have proof I can show to him otherwise? He's driven through the area years ago and was not impressed.

#18 of 52 Old 07-31-2011, 09:37 AM

You can definitely have a garden in Utah. I don't have any pictures unfortunately of a productive garden (only the beginning stages of my garden last year, because my husband built me new raised beds so I took pictures right when I planted. But I forgot to take updates photo later in the season!). I had a garden every year I lived there, and every year was successful. My mom has a huge garden up in Cache County (Logan) and my sister has a beautiful organic garden that produces heavily every year. I have never heard anything about the ground being *salty.* You may have sandy soil, or clay-y soil, but not salty.

. catherine . yourfireyoursoul.blogspot.com .
mommy to one hilarious little boy [09.2006] and one cuddly baby girl [05.2009]

#19 of 52 Old 07-31-2011, 10:25 AM

What I did was look up all the legal stuff and made a list of acceptable states based on their laws and then went down the list marking off states I knew I didn't want to live in and then researched climate and other rest of our desires of the remaining states on my list. 

#20 of 52 Old 07-31-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post

I think I've convinced dh that we should move. But it could take a few years for him to find a job. Please help me narrow down some areas. We'll have to have somewhat of a pre-approved list of areas to investigate and watch for jobs, so I need to start now in narrowing down cities.

Musts:
A community college within 15 miles
Has to be midwife friendly. I'll be finishing either my CNM or CPM and homebirth HAS to be legal and ok in the area.
Inexpensive COL- a 3+ bedroom house (older, if possible) with an acre or more under $150,000. This is fine if it's an hour outside of a bigger town. I prefer not to live in a big city.
Not the desert
Pacific NW, the Northeast, Atlantic States, KY, TN, or a decent midwestern state would be ok partly because...
A good kid friendly museum within an hour (preferably as close as possible)
Homeschool friendly state
With a local secular homeschool group
A good AP or crunchy population. Finding a community I fit in with is non-negotiable.
A UU church within driving distance
A good library system
Variety in food-grocery stores, farmers markets, etc.

Really want:
A beach within a few hours (large nice lake or ocean)
Not on the verge of major natural disasters.
My dh hates cold weather, but the rest of us love it, so something in the middle.
NO fire ants or other creepy freaky bugs that will take over our lives
Good forests within driving distance treehugger.gif
CSA
Dh wants a decent music scene

Austin? I'm not sure on the midwifery laws but TX has good HSing laws and it's not that far from the Gulf coast but outside immediate hurricane surge damage zone and has a diverse music scene. As someone that lived in the Mohave and Sonoran deserts and was ready for some green so I moved to swamp country with 60+ inches of rain, Austin was still a little brown for my tastes when I went there, but I'm sure you can have a great garden. And don't let it being in TX fool you, Austin is the hippy alternative capital. 

#21 of 52 Old 07-31-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Catherine. I think he's just being nitpicky because he doesn't want to move, so he'll tear any place to pieces.

Austin is nice from what I've heard, but dh is not a big Texas fan. What about the COL there? Is it affordable?

#22 of 52 Old 07-31-2011, 01:26 PM

I don't know, I don't live there but it sounded like it might be what you are looking for. 

#23 of 52 Old 07-31-2011, 01:40 PM

I'll throw out the outskirts of Cleveland, OH.  We live here, dh is from here - it meets a lot of your requirements (except I don't know much about midwifery/homebirthiness - I *think* outside of cuyahoga county it might be totally legal & all, I mean there are big amish populations, but I don't know . . .).  I'll plug the local food scene (restaurants & csa's that are awesome and way more affordable that other places) and great homes (lots of older and affordable homes that are beautiful).  Lakewood & the Heights are very ap-crunchy-liberal friendly.    The grog shop & beach land have great music.  And not on your list, but the thrift stores here have been some of the best I've ever been to.

That in mind, we're actually considering a big move to Denver sometime in the next year, and since we value a lot of the same things you could look there too I guess.  (We still like cleveland, we kinda just need a change. . . ).

#24 of 52 Old 07-31-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

It's illegal in OH. Well, from what I've heard, not technically illegal, but there have been some prosecutions of midwives recently. greensad.gif It would be so nice to be back in OH, though. I'm from Cincy. wink1.gif

I will admit something. Please don't flame me. I hate Colorado. There. I said it. I had the worst 2 days...almost of my life there about 6 years ago and vowed never to go back.

#25 of 52 Old 07-31-2011, 04:48 PM

WTF Ohio!  Yeah, I wouldn't chose ohio with news like that going on recently either.    

I could say nice things about Madison, WI - I think a big minus might be the cold, snowy winters, but it is a very cool town.  And I think midwifery is more supported in WI?  

(Do tell about CO because I'm curious - we're researching heavily and going there first to check it out, so there's time and all . . . or is it something with nothing to do with the state altogether?  I'll try to forget you said anything if it is.). 

#26 of 52 Old 07-31-2011, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

OP, have you seen findyourspot.com?

Bring back the old MDC
#27 of 52 Old 07-31-2011, 06:34 PM

Blacksburg, VA?  If you have any interest, PM me and I'll send you some info.  The COL in Bbg. is higher than a surrounding little town that has great access to Bbg. without their COL.  Fairly moderate winters, IMO...depends on what you are used to.

littlest birds likes this.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#28 of 52 Old 07-31-2011, 07:28 PM
A&A

Quote:

Thank you!

About Utah- My husband insists that all of the land is totally salty in Northern Utah so I could never garden. Anyone have proof I can show to him otherwise? He's driven through the area years ago and was not impressed.

That's funny.........my peas, squash, tomatoes, green beans, strawberries, and raspberries haven't tasted salty!

And show your dh this:

http://www.redbuttegarden.org/concerts

#29 of 52 Old 07-31-2011, 07:30 PM
A&A

Quote:

Thanks, Catherine. I think he's just being nitpicky because he doesn't want to move, so he'll tear any place to pieces.

Austin is nice from what I've heard, but dh is not a big Texas fan. What about the COL there? Is it affordable?

You can google "Cost of living comparison" and then you can compare COL for various cities.

#30 of 52 Old 08-01-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

Blacksburg, VA?  If you have any interest, PM me and I'll send you some info.  The COL in Bbg. is higher than a surrounding little town that has great access to Bbg. without their COL.  Fairly moderate winters, IMO...depends on what you are used to.

Go Hokies...?  (HI!)  love.gif

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

Tags
Home Essentials , Monumental Moves , Dunecraft Sprout N Grow Greenhouses The Amazing Moving Plant

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page