Probably controversial rant about "abusing the system" - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 132 Old 08-23-2011, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlie View Post

Hmm, If you miss paying your taxes by $1 you are put in prison for a decade. Doesn't matter that you didn't take out a loan or whatever you go straight to jail. 

headscratch.gif  Reference, please....

#122 of 132 Old 08-23-2011, 09:13 AM

I know for a fact that you do not go to prison if you are behind with the IRS.  Fines and penalties yes, prison no.

#123 of 132 Old 08-23-2011, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkmom View Post

I know for a fact that you do not go to prison if you are behind with the IRS.  Fines and penalties yes, prison no.

Yeah, I have a friend who questions the legality of taxes.  He didn't file for 3+ years, Federal, State or Local.  He's paying out the a$$ for it all but he's never seen the inside of a cell....for this anyway ;)

#124 of 132 Old 08-23-2011, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkmom View Post

Is this really true?  I ask because my dad is very behind in taxes and the IRS keeps threatening to put him in jail.  Is it possible, but just not usually done?

#125 of 132 Old 08-23-2011, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post

Is this really true?  I ask because my dad is very behind in taxes and the IRS keeps threatening to put him in jail.  Is it possible, but just not usually done?

You have to be VERY behind and VERY UNWILLING to pay before they put you in jail.

#126 of 132 Old 08-23-2011, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

You have to be VERY behind and VERY UNWILLING to pay before they put you in jail.

Well, he is very behind - but he is willing.  He just doesn't have much income at all at this point.  I mean barely enough to live, sadly.  I guess they realize if they put him in jail they have no chance of getting paid, AND he will cost them money. 

#127 of 132 Old 08-24-2011, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I think that's exactly it.   Fines equal money in for the government.   Prison equals money out for the government. 

swede likes this.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#128 of 132 Old 08-25-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

I think that's exactly it.   Fines equal money in for the government.   Prison equals money out for the government. 

ohhhhh.... not necessarily!   stuff like this goes on a lot more often than you think and is pretty lucrative. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#129 of 132 Old 08-25-2011, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Right, people get rich off of others in prison. Most prisons are privately owned... the more people in prison the more money the Prison owners acquire. I should totally build a prison than advocate for a drug free America. I love that an ounce of herb can put you in longer than the kiddie fiddler down the street will get for rape.
loveyourohana likes this.
#130 of 132 Old 08-25-2011, 09:21 PM

How much is minimum wage, how much does it cost per child for day care, rent, car insurance, and how much is min. wage again?...  A lot factors in, and I don't think that only the upper class should be allowed to have families.  Is there really a fair price tag?  How much is it to have insurance outside of the USA?

I don't think i could ever look anyone in the face, rich, poor, or mid class, and say.... Your family used gov. money... they never should have had you.  Health care charges to any insurance is ridiculous, perhaps thats a good place to further investigate why there is so much money spent each year on gov. funded health care?  Going down the list of charges after birth... my friends daughter was charged for circ. and how much was that gauze?  Must be gold thread used in that stuff.

I love to hear a mom say she is able to stay home:)  

#131 of 132 Old 08-25-2011, 10:04 PM

Here's the breakdown for my state:

Maine minimum wage = $7.50/hr. x 40 hours = $300 x 4.3 weeks = $1290/month x 2 parents (assuming two-parent home) = $2580/month income - $600 daycare for preschool aged child - $300 before/after school care for school aged child (assuming 2-child family) = $1680 - $400 health insurance premiums = $1280 - $770 average one bed rental = $510 - $75 electricity - $150 heat = $285 - $60 insurance for one car = $225...wait, we still have to eat!  What about phone?  Internet?  Clothes?  Toilet paper?  Geez, I even assume that they have no deductions from their paychecks, and put them in a one bedroom apartment, and low-balled the cost of utilities (winters are looooong and hard and expensive here!)  It is simply not possible to live on minimum wage here without some sort of assistance, whether it is rental assistance, childcare assistance, state healthcare plans.  Seriously.  I did the math.

purslaine and hildare like this.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#132 of 132 Old 08-26-2011, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramama View Post

Here's the breakdown for my state:

Maine minimum wage = $7.50/hr. x 40 hours = $300 x 4.3 weeks = $1290/month x 2 parents (assuming two-parent home) = $2580/month income - $600 daycare for preschool aged child - $300 before/after school care for school aged child (assuming 2-child family) = $1680 - $400 health insurance premiums = $1280 - $770 average one bed rental = $510 - $75 electricity - $150 heat = $285 - $60 insurance for one car = $225...wait, we still have to eat!  What about phone?  Internet?  Clothes?  Toilet paper?  Geez, I even assume that they have no deductions from their paychecks, and put them in a one bedroom apartment, and low-balled the cost of utilities (winters are looooong and hard and expensive here!)  It is simply not possible to live on minimum wage here without some sort of assistance, whether it is rental assistance, childcare assistance, state healthcare plans.  Seriously.  I did the math.

And that my friend is where low income housing or help with rent and foodstamps come into play. You work your butt off you deserve a break. Not everyone was given and easy climb, and there is no reason you shouldn't have a help. It's there for a reason.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page